2021 Draft prospects

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Haha. I’ve heard the same about Barnes. We shall see. It will be fun to revisit in 3 years.
Or not depending on who the Kings draft. Not fun at all. Sorry, but if the Kings don't get him part of me hope he busts big time, haha. Same with everybody else above Sac.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah I’m sort of leaning towards him but I was leaning towards P Williams last year and he ended up 4th
Williams was mocked pretty high most of the time though. Garuba as of today should be a late lotto pick at best type but yeah, who knows. This draft could bounce around based on a ton of things outside of those top picks.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
no he wasn’t. He was typically mocked 15.
He was a lotto pick on a bunch of the ones I saw. It did vacillate but prior to the draft it was pretty much top 10 and NBAdraft.nets finals had him right where he went. I even read rumors that had him going to Detroit prior to the draft.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/2020-nba-draft-most-common-mock-draft-picks-1-20-20201116

Who knows who climbs but I can't recall any mocks up to this point that had Garuba in that range.

He was a lotto pick on a bunch of the ones I saw. It did vacillate but prior to the draft it was pretty much top 10 and NBAdraft.nets finals had him right where he went. I even read rumors that had him going to Detroit prior to the draft.

https://www.nba.com/magic/news/2020-nba-draft-most-common-mock-draft-picks-1-20-20201116

Who knows who climbs but I can't recall any mocks up to this point that had Garuba in that range.
before the draft yeah. But at this point Williams was in the teens.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
before the draft yeah. But at this point Williams was in the teens.
That draft was totally different though. It didn't even happen until November with a ton of time off. This year will be interesting if and when workouts and a normal schedule can happen. Players like Garuba could rise or fall because someone else did.

I sure hope 15 other GM's feel that way. Barnes' shot can be tweaked and is far from broken. Worst case scenario he's a legit 4-5 position defender who can run an offense. I think he eventually plays most of his minutes at PF anyway. He has a solid push shot/floater and has a nice form on his hook shot. The thing about him that stands out is what you see at about 5:35 in.

That's a full court slam, in control, and 2 steps from the 3 point line to a dunk. If a player can do that and run pick and roll, well, you are looking at similarities to Giannis, Pippen, etc. I'm not sure he is going to be a production wiz like Giannis but he'll impact the game in a bunch of different ways. I think his athletic tools and his foot speed make a gamble on him fizzling out more than worth it.

Garuba is interesting. The only issue is I've seen people say he's similar to that multiple position defender type and offensive players when switched get by him a little too easily IMO. He relies on recover contesting quite a bit and he's not an off the charts shotblocker to make that his calling card.
I don't see what's special about that play at 5:35. His teammate poked the ball away and he had a straight line drive, breakaway slam. Looks like one of the easier plays a basketball player could make.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I don't see what's special about that play at 5:35. His teammate poked the ball away and he had a straight line drive, breakaway slam. Looks like one of the easier plays a basketball player could make.
The stride. Players that can run pick and roll with that kind of ground coverage are potential match up nightmares since contact is called so tightly. That very thing is what makes Giannis such a nightmare.

2 steps from the 3 point line to the rim.

I find myself gravitating towards Ziaire Williams lately.

• He's very athletic, fluid, & laterally quick
  • He's 6'8" with a 6'11" wingspan
  • I like his go-to scoring potential (good handle, has some good moves, is comfortable pulling up)
  • I like his shooting potential (smooth looking stroke, high release point, ~80% FT%, confidence in taking the 3 with 8.1 3PA per 100 poss.)
  • I like his playmaking potential (unselfish & willing passer, PnR ballhandler ability)
  • I like his defensive potential (good IQ/help defender/rotator, length to play passing lanes/alter shots, laterally quick, versatile defender)

His 3P% is a bit concerning, but his FT% gives me hope. Similar to how Patrick Williams shot well from the line but underwhelmed from 3. His weight is also concerning at 185. However, Fox weighed in at 170 and Haliburton weighed in at 185 and both of them have looked promising to say the least. He turned the ball over a lot, but with Fox & Haliburton also on the roster, I could see that be somewhat mitigated as his ballhandling role will likely be less than what it was on Stanford, and he'll have the luxury of defenses focusing on guys like Fox & Haliburton in the short term.

If Williams "hits," you have a long & athletic 6'8" wing who can score, shoot, handle, pass, & defend. I have a hard time seeing that type of ceiling for the other prospects that will likely be available when it's our turn to draft. But not only does he have a high upside, he would also be a good positional & skillset fit with our current core (e.g., Fox & Haliburton).

He seems like he could be a 'best player available' & 'fit' pick at the same time.

Last edited:

dude12

Hall of Famer
Those who have watched Mitchell more, what are the chances you could have a closing wing set of Fox/Hali/Mitchell? Too small?
I think you can get away with it in certain matchups.

I think when you watch the Kings post trade deadline, the lineup for stretches that has Wright, TD, Hali and then Harkless or Barnes and either Holmes or Jones at center has been extremely quick and active on defense.....stifling even but it certainly depends on matchups with the other team.

• I like his go-to scoring potential (good handle, has some good moves, is comfortable pulling up)
  • I like his shooting potential (smooth looking stroke, high release point, ~80% FT%, confidence in taking the 3 with 8.1 3PA per 100 poss.)
  • I like his playmaking potential (unselfish & willing passer, PnR ballhandler ability)
  • I like his defensive potential (good IQ/help defender/rotator, length to play passing lanes/alter shots, laterally quick, versatile defender)

His 3P% is a bit concerning, but his FT% gives me hope. Similar to how Patrick Williams shot well from the line but underwhelmed from 3. His weight is also concerning at 185. However, Fox weighed in at 170 and Haliburton weighed in at 185 and both of them have looked promising to say the least. He turned the ball over a lot, but with Fox & Haliburton also on the roster, I could see that be somewhat mitigated as his ballhandling role will likely be less than what it was on Stanford, and he'll have the luxury of defenses focusing on guys like Fox & Haliburton in the short term.

If Williams "hits," you have a long & athletic 6'8" wing who can score, shoot, handle, pass, & defend. I have a hard time seeing that type of ceiling for the other prospects that will likely be available when it's our turn to draft. But not only does he have a high upside, he would also be a good positional & skillset fit with our current core (e.g., Fox & Haliburton).

He seems like he could be a 'best player available' & 'fit' pick at the same time.
His 2P% looks concerning as well. I haven't paid any attention to him. Is he bad at finishing at the rim?

Not a fan. He kind of reminds me of a SG version of Justin Jackson.

Those who have watched Mitchell more, what are the chances you could have a closing wing set of Fox/Hali/Mitchell? Too small?
He probably has some Marcus Smart ability with that bulk he's got. The only issue would be what he measurements look like. Smart has like a 6'8-9" wingspan and I've heard things that Mitchell might be in that 6'4" range.

His 2P% looks concerning as well. I haven't paid any attention to him. Is he bad at finishing at the rim?
he’s horrible but largely due to lack of strength. He has a thin frame so the question remains how much muscle can he add. When you have narrow shoulders and a small frame it doesn’t help. But weight and muscle could be added. If we had the Boston pick he would be worth the risk.

I think you can get away with it in certain matchups.

I think when you watch the Kings post trade deadline, the lineup for stretches that has Wright, TD, Hali and then Harkless or Barnes and either Holmes or Jones at center has been extremely quick and active on defense.....stifling even but it certainly depends on matchups with the other team.
I think the acquisition of TD and Wright has closed the door for Mitchell. You already have a crowded back court and an empty front court. Had Monte not made those trades I think you could be open either way but this team is seriously lacking in front court players with no room for free agents.

I got to say Garuba is really growing on me. He has a 7’2 wingspan and looks like the most dominate front court defensive prospect in the draft. It’s not just blocks either, he gets poke away steals and plays good angles. He plays smart. He is a willing passer. His shot looks rough and he doesn’t look for his own offense is the two main downsides.

I got to say Garuba is really growing on me. He has a 7’2 wingspan and looks like the most dominate front court defensive prospect in the draft. It’s not just blocks either, he gets poke away steals and plays good angles. He plays smart. He is a willing passer. His shot looks rough and he doesn’t look for his own offense is the two main downsides.
He uses his body well for sure. The one caveat that routinely bites Euro defenders is the differences in physicality. It has to be put into perspective because some of that defense won't translate. Cedi Osman is still a decent defender but he was a bruiser over there and he's had to ditch more than bit of the reaching in, tugging, pulling, bodying up, etc over here. Way more defense in the NBA is about the feet and he's a bit of a recovery defender where players get around him on the switch which can get you into trouble these days if you rely on it too much.

He uses his body well for sure. The one caveat that routinely bites Euro defenders is the differences in physicality. It has to be put into perspective because some of that defense won't translate. Cedi Osman is still a decent defender but he was a bruiser over there and he's had to ditch more than bit of the reaching in, tugging, pulling, bodying up, etc over here. Way more defense in the NBA is about the feet and he's a bit of a recovery defender where players get around him on the switch which can get you into trouble these days if you rely on it too much.
I don’t know a ton about Cedi but he isn’t the athlete that Garuba is correct? Garuba is plus 3 inches on wingspan too.

I don’t know a ton about Cedi but he isn’t the athlete that Garuba is correct? Garuba is plus 3 inches on wingspan too.
Cedi is a wing. Same thing though, his defense relied on using the fact that their game still has some grit to it. Garuba reaches in, weakside blocks, etc. and that can be somewhat nullified today in the NBA. He still looks like a good defensive prospect for sure though.