[Game] Kings at Pacers, Wednesday May 5th, 5 PM Pacific (8 PM Eastern)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Def doesn't look like the worst defensive team in the league. These last 4 games I've watched were basically the first I've watched all season.

And they've looked pretty great. Were they just extremely lazy all season despite having more talented players ?
It’s because we’re playing Justin Jackson

Are the kings actually going to make the play in lol. That'd be pretty hilarious, they play the spurs Friday then okc back to back.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Are the kings actually going to make the play in lol. That'd be pretty hilarious, they play the spurs Friday then okc back to back.
The Spurs and Grizz games are the big ones. Those freaking play ins man. This is almost like anyone that finishes the race gets a ribbon. That bubble run and this play in is artificially creating the illusion of purpose. Nothing more, nothing less. And it's going to put the Kings in a position to hit the ground running next year with the same horse.

So say the Kings do get the play in at 10and actually do make the playoffs. Would they lose their draft lottery slot to the 7th seed they beat?

because if we make the one game play in, there’s a good chance we’ll play Dallas...and we own them. I’d probably pick us to beat them in a seven game series.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Its probably time for the Kings to post a Luke Walton post-victory motivational speech, which then gets posts here.

Because we’ve had 2!

“TOMORROW IS THE SUPER BOWL, LETS GO!”
-big losing streak

and then the other one
-even worse losing streak

So say the Kings do get the play in at 10and actually do make the playoffs. Would they lose their draft lottery slot to the 7th seed they beat?

because if we make the one game play in, there’s a good chance we’ll play Dallas...and we own them. I’d probably pick us to beat them in a seven game series.
Here's how the games will work:

• Game 1: The No. 7 team in the standings by winning percentage will host the No. 8 team, with the winner earning the No. 7 seed in the playoffs. The losing team gets another chance in Game 3.
  • Game 2: The No. 9 team will host the No. 10 team, with the winner moving on to Game 3. The loser is eliminated and enters the NBA draft lottery.
  • Game 3: The loser of the No. 7 vs. No. 8 matchup will host the winner of the No. 9 vs. No. 10 matchup, with the victor grabbing the No. 8 seed in the postseason. The loser of Game 3 also enters the lottery.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...nament-work-dates-projections-rules-explained

Lol Pacers coaching staff actively trying to fight one of their players.
The Pacers are imploding. They are almost certainly going to fire their coach.

Are the last 3 games fools gold? Guess we will find out Friday. Winner owns the tie breaker so it’s really worth two games.

Def doesn't look like the worst defensive team in the league. These last 4 games I've watched were basically the first I've watched all season.

And they've looked pretty great. Were they just extremely lazy all season despite having more talented players ?
Wanna know a secret that nobody likes talking about? Fox is a pretty bad defender, especially off the ball. But there's no doubt the team is playing harder and more of a team game without Fox.

Wanna know a secret that nobody likes talking about? Fox is a pretty bad defender, especially off the ball. But there's no doubt the team is playing harder and more of a team game without Fox.
I think fox has the skills to be an elite defender and at times plays lockdown defense. He just doesn’t do it consistently and pisses me off when he lets guys get past him cuz I know he’s faster than them. But it’s a stretch to say he’s a bad defender. Maybe he takes some plays off cuz he has to carry some of the scoring load or maybe cuz he has to guard steph, dame, Murray, cp3, kyrie, Trae, morant...you get the point. Not really any days off for point guards. Either way I’d agree he’s not as great a defender as we know he can be, but bad defender?

I think fox has the skills to be an elite defender and at times plays lockdown defense. He just doesn’t do it consistently and pisses me off when he lets guys get past him cuz I know he’s faster than them. But it’s a stretch to say he’s a bad defender. Maybe he takes some plays off cuz he has to carry some of the scoring load or maybe cuz he has to guard steph, dame, Murray, cp3, kyrie, Trae, morant...you get the point. Not really any days off for point guards. Either way I’d agree he’s not as great a defender as we know he can be, but bad defender?
Yes, bad defender, off the ball. His on ball defense is fine when he bothers to try, and he does a pretty good job in the post as well when he gets switched on bigs, but off-ball he is always losing track of his man and guys are always easily getting behind him. Whatever it is, it's a far cry from this idea that some people keep trying to perpetuate that he is some sort of two-way star. I concede that calling him a bad defender overall is maybe a tad too far, where I was coming from was more that he is another a hole in the defense, rather than some solid pillar that is surrounded by holes in the fence. The worst part is that like you said, it's not as if he doesn't have the quickness or skills to be a good defender.

Yes, bad defender, off the ball. His on ball defense is fine when he bothers to try, and he does a pretty good job in the post as well when he gets switched on bigs, but off-ball he is always losing track of his man and guys are always easily getting behind him. Whatever it is, it's a far cry from this idea that some people keep trying to perpetuate that he is some sort of two-way star. I concede that calling him a bad defender overall is maybe a tad too far, where I was coming from was more that he is another a hole in the defense, rather than some solid pillar that is surrounded by holes in the fence. The worst part is that like you said, it's not as if he doesn't have the quickness or skills to be a good defender.
Been saying the whole season our defensive struggles are the result of bad perimeter defense. It collapses the whole scheme and puts everyone in scramble mode. Results in easy buckets in the paint.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
We're mathematically out of finishing .500. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?
And the Spurs mathematically can't lose more than 41 games. The Kings have to basically finish 4-2 and I think the Spurs can't win more than 2 games for the Kings to have a shot. Does anyone know what the tie breaker thing is?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Been saying the whole season our defensive struggles are the result of bad perimeter defense. It collapses the whole scheme and puts everyone in scramble mode. Results in easy buckets in the paint.
And the bad perimeter defense is a result of over helping into the paint. The kicker is I can't remember a Kings team in recent memory where the Kings had as much ability on paper individually on the defensive end.

Here's how the games will work:

• Game 1: The No. 7 team in the standings by winning percentage will host the No. 8 team, with the winner earning the No. 7 seed in the playoffs. The losing team gets another chance in Game 3.
  • Game 2: The No. 9 team will host the No. 10 team, with the winner moving on to Game 3. The loser is eliminated and enters the NBA draft lottery.
  • Game 3: The loser of the No. 7 vs. No. 8 matchup will host the winner of the No. 9 vs. No. 10 matchup, with the victor grabbing the No. 8 seed in the postseason. The loser of Game 3 also enters the lottery.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...nament-work-dates-projections-rules-explained
I see. I thought it was going to be like a 4 team tournament with the 7th seed acting like the 1 seed playing the lowest seed as it’s structured during the actual playoffs.

Its more fair to the 7th and 8th seeds the way it is.

either way, I hope they don’t do this beyond this season.

It's not the first time nor will be the last.

Honestly can't even blame Luke he wants to keep his job unless they give him a guarantee he's coming back next year why would he tank the GM had to step in but I'm loving this run and watching the team without its "stars".

Again....our defense is better recently. Hmmm.
How is that even possible without our two two-way SF and PG? Not just that but the veteran leadership as well.

Last edited:
I realize Goga has kinda sucked but there’s no reason to try to fight him during a timeout.
I would trade a 2nd round pick or any of our role players to get Goga try develop him next season, injuries have wrecked him in the NBA thus far. If the Kings let Holmes go I think they should def target Goga to develop.