NFL 2020-21 Season

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Everyone saying they're hearing the Niners are getting Mac Jones is just bizarre.

It's either the dumbest decision ever, an April fools joke or some weird propaganda push by another team.
For some reason it feels like this all stems from Chris Sims being unable to see Kyle Shanahan coach a guy whose play style doesn’t resemble his own. Like Sims and ESPN’s Dan Orlovsky both decided Shanny wanted Jones for some reason and everyone else just followed suit up until like two weeks ago when they then decided that Shanahan definitely wanted Fields

the truth is ultimately probably somewhere in between and I can see Lynch and Shanahan not actually deciding who to pick until draft night.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Aldon Smith absolutely doesn’t deserve the benefit of the doubt, but I saw a story that video might have this case go the way of Aaron Donald. Will be interesting to see what happened if there’s video.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
The media is back on the Mac Jones wagon. I’m over here accepting reality and deciding if I’m going to call him Bagley or Trubisky before he ever throws his first pass.

I really hope this is all some elaborate smoke screen and the guy they really want is Fields, but I don't know what good a smoke screen would be unless Lynch and Shanahan think there's still a chance that the Jets take Fields over Wilson and they don't like Wilson. At this point though if everyone is saying Mac Jones and picks 1 and 2 are locked in, maybe it is Mac Jones. Sigh.

I really hope this is all some elaborate smoke screen and the guy they really want is Fields, but I don't know what good a smoke screen would be unless Lynch and Shanahan think there's still a chance that the Jets take Fields over Wilson and they don't like Wilson. At this point though if everyone is saying Mac Jones and picks 1 and 2 are locked in, maybe it is Mac Jones. Sigh.
Agree , you don't give up elite speed at the position, unless the other QBs are clearly better - and that's just not the case.......with the other 2.....Mac Jones at least is a smidge faster than Garrapolo, but I don't see the differential. He'll need better pass protection like Garappolo. Trey Lance has enough to scramble and also be a run threat - but with Fields they can design plays specifically for Fields running. Of course its a crap-shoot anyway....any one of them could be a star or bust. Speed doesn't mean all - look at Mariotta - one of the faster QBs in the league, but a borderline starter/2nd stringer.. The beauty of being so speedy, is when the play blows you know what to do. - simple.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Imagine the thrill of going from an unathletic QB with a noodle arm.., to an unathletic QB with a noodle arm. I can’t wait for Thursday!!!!

Last edited:
Incidentally my team does not have a sound QB option and is not picking high enough to draft one without just picking the one everyone passes on and yet you guys are cracking me up.

I am not a Fields person, will admit a heavy anti tOSU influence biases me, so I guess that's part of it.

Shanahan about to out himself as the Vlade Divac of evaluating QBs. Lmao
I mean Mac Jones looks decent, but the highlights hardly show plays of him under duress. He doesn't look really that much better than Garappolo. Put another way when Garrapolo gets time, he's an effective QB, as are most NFL QBs. Jones looks like he at least understands to get the ball out quickly, but its back to that stodgy dynamic - same as Garrapolo - you fall back on putting alot of pressure for your offensive line to pass block well. Teams will know Jones is not much of a run threat - looks like a pocket passer through and through. Linebackers have him dead to rights, and even linemen can cause him problems. I think by leaving Fields the 49ers are throwing away a new and devastating dynamic to their run-game. With Jones its more of the same 1-D passer who needs solid pass protection just like Garrapolo. He might be a better passer, but would need to be Big-Ben like to validate the pick. That's a big gap to bridge.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I mean Mac Jones looks decent, but the highlights hardly show plays of him under duress. He doesn't look really that much better than Garappolo. Put another way when Garrapolo gets time, he's an effective QB, as are most NFL QBs. Jones looks like he at least understands to get the ball out quickly, but its back to that stodgy dynamic - same as Garrapolo - you fall back on putting alot of pressure for your offensive line to pass block well. Teams will know Jones is not much of a run threat - looks like a pocket passer through and through. Linebackers have him dead to rights, and even linemen can cause him problems. I think by leaving Fields the 49ers are throwing away a new and devastating dynamic to their run-game. With Jones its more of the same 1-D passer who needs solid pass protection just like Garrapolo. He might be a better passer, but would need to be Big-Ben like to validate the pick. That's a big gap to bridge.
You don’t trade three first rounders for a guy who looks decent and is more than likely a lateral move to the guy you already have.

After watching what guys like Kyler and Russ do to them every single year. It’s infuriating.

You don’t trade three first rounders for a guy who looks decent and is more than likely a lateral move to the guy you already have.

After watching what guys like Kyler and Russ do to them every single year. It’s infuriating.
I hate to say but it seems like if you weren't trading into the top 2 moving to #3 this year for a QB gonna make you either a genius or a fool and zero in between.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I hate to say but it seems like if you weren't trading into the top 2 moving to #3 this year for a QB gonna make you either a genius or a fool and zero in between.
You’re a fool for not swinging for the fences. I’ll eat my hat if McCorkle turns into Brees or Brady or any of the other unathletic seemingly unimpressive QBs of past drafts that the Mac believers are so sure he’s going to be,,. But come on, he’s probably not. Lol