ESPN ranks Swipa 6th in top players under-25 rankings

He's not better right now or in the future than SGA/Booker/Bam or Simmons just from the top 10 alone also add Morant and others that are probably not on the list . Only guy he's better than right now is Melo and maybe Zion (overrated).

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The fact he's carried a team as talented or less than the Kings to above 500. missing arguably its best player (whole season) you know wins......the reason you play the sport.
I mean, his coach hasn’t spent all season stepping on his own dingus and thanks to half their team catching the rona, they’ve played like five less games than everyone else in the conference but sure. If we’re going off wins or whatever I guess that means the true number one would be Talen Horton-Ticker for winning a ring as a rookie then.

I mean, his coach hasn’t spent all season stepping on his own dingus and thanks to half their team catching the rona, they’ve played like five less games than everyone else in the conference but sure. If we’re going off wins or whatever I guess that means the true number one would be Talen Horton-Ticker for winning a ring as a rookie then.
Again blaming the coaches, Bjelica/Cojo, and people saying after every bad Fox game he's "fatigued" (Kings fans not you specifically) is just copes also how is comparing two lead guard comparable to Horton-Tucker? Grizzlies without a super talent and contributor in JJJ are better than the Kings because of Morrant and yes I know Fox owns him in the match ups but 'there's another 28 teams to play against. Even SGA on a team TANKING had and resting players carried a team nearly as much as Fox.

Again blaming the coaches, Bjelica/Cojo, and people saying after every bad Fox game he's "fatigued" (Kings fans not you specifically) is just copes also how is comparing two lead guard comparable to Horton-Tucker? Grizzlies without a super talent and contributor in JJJ are better than the Kings because of Morrant and yes I know Fox owns him in the match ups but 'there's another 28 teams to play against. Even SGA on a team TANKING had and resting players carried a team nearly as much as Fox.
this is so sad because it's true.... but I think our coaching is actually horrible too though.

Idk, Fox almost single handedly won us about 10 games this year. If he could get ft% above 80 he is going to be even better.
That's more an indictment on our team than it is a praise of Fox though isn't it? I'm pretty sure any of those guys on that list (except maybe Simmons) have single handedly won many games for their teams over the years.

That's more an indictment on our team than it is a praise of Fox though isn't it? I'm pretty sure any of those guys on that list (except maybe Simmons) have single handedly won many games for their teams over the years.
i dont think zion or lamelo single handedly won many games for their teams. Booker might have won some but his suns teams have pretty much stunk worse than the kings most years so i'd probably give CP3 most of the credit for this year.

ESPN ceased being a reputable and non-biased sports outlet a long time ago. This list is just another example why.
LaMelo with all of 41 games under his belt over 4 through 8 on that list? LMFAO.

Recency bias at it’s finest.

They should stick to what they do best these days. Pushing political agendas and reporting what LBJ has to say or tweet about anything and everything.

Never pay attention to what they report other than final scores.

EDIT: Please spare me the inevitable response of “LaMelo is legit”. He may very well be. But he’s not shown to have any more talent or future potential than Tatum, Mitchell, Fox, Simmons or Booker. Period, end of story.

Next freaking topic......

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Fwiw, I just saw an interesting stat.

Throughout NBA history only 3 players have averaged 24 ppg and 7 apg at age 23.

Tiny Archibald. Oscar Robertson. LeBron James.

End of list.

If Swipa finishes the season at his current averages — he joins that list.
Three out of four of those guys would have played for the Kings (franchise) and the other guy’s nickname is King. Coincidence? i think not

If I had stumbled across this rant by Stephen A. Smith before my initial reply in this thread — it would have saved me some time. Because Stephen A. nails it.

Throws his own employer under the bus. Demands drug testing for all those involved.

He’s 100% correct.

If you guys listened to the Windhorsrt podcast they explain this is future ranking on who will have the best career, not best player now.
That’s almost impossible to predict. Especially after half a season. I wish they kept a record of lists like this to see how overrated Blake griffin was. Or how prob almost no one predicted steph curry to be as great as he was.

That’s almost impossible to predict. Especially after half a season. I wish they kept a record of lists like this to see how overrated Blake griffin was. Or how prob almost no one predicted steph curry to be as great as he was.
You can find it, they've been doing it for a decade or longer.

Of course it's hard to predict, but they are a sport media outlet, looking for views and clicks to sell ad revenue. Look, were talking about it. It doesn't matter if they are right. That being said, I believe that the guys who are making these rankings Pelton, Marks and Schmitz take it serious, so they believe what they are putting out there.

If I had stumbled across this rant by Stephen A. Smith before my initial reply in this thread — it would have saved me some time. Because Stephen A. nails it.

Throws his own employer under the bus. Demands drug testing for all those involved.

He’s 100% correct.

SAS is a loudmouth who, in this case, took about 4 minutes to say that he thinks Devin Booker should be much higher on the list (and admit that he kinda missed the point of the list, which is to look ahead). Lotta heat, very little light. Fact is that what LaMelo is doing at 19, in his first NBA season, is extraordinary.

16/6/6 in 29 mpg on 45/38/79? At 19. Absolutely nuts.

I have no problem with his #3 ranking.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
SAS is a loudmouth who, in this case, took about 4 minutes to say that he thinks Devin Booker should be much higher on the list (and admit that he kinda missed the point of the list, which is to look ahead). Lotta heat, very little light. Fact is that what LaMelo is doing at 19, in his first NBA season, is extraordinary.

16/6/6 in 29 mpg on 45/38/79? At 19. Absolutely nuts.

I have no problem with his #3 ranking.
People get so offended when others rave about LaMelo. Dude’s a stud.

Will #1 ever not hurt?

no. No it won’t.
What hurts me isn't so much that the Kings missed out on Luka - I'm past that - but that they missed out on SO many guys better than the guy they got. Phoenix missed out on Luka too. But in Ayton they still got a guy they're happy to see as part of their long-term future. Back in the day, the Rockets passed on Jordan. But they got Olajuwan. It's the Trailblazers, who picked Sam Bowie at #2, who felt the pain for a long time.

It's one thing to miss on a "generational talent" that was yours for the taking. It's another to have picked a guy the braintrust doesn't even consider part of the core now. Boston picked Robert Frickin' Williams at #27 in that draft and I'd flip Bags for him straight up in a second. But Ainge wouldn't.

*That* hurts.

Passing on Luka doesn't bother me as much as picking someone at #2, and acting like you are so close to a playoff run that you don't need to feature that #2 pick. The Kings did themselves and Marvin a disservice in that regard. Every other team picking in the top 5 that year gave their picks all the minutes they could handle. No surprise that those other players confidence stayed high and their teams figured out very quickly how they were going to use their prized pick. The Kings didn't even give themselves a chance. That's the disappointing part.