2021 NCAA Tournament Open Thread

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Just got done watching the recording of the Gonzaga UCLA game. What a incredible finish by Suggs. Both teams left it all out, much respect to the Bruins and their squad. That shot alone ought to get him drafted in the top 5 now I'd imagine, the guy is a gamer.

I was not expecting UCLA to hang in and they almost pulled it off. I'm a Pac-12 guy so I think I gave a small edge to UCLA but I was pretty neutral and am pulling for Gonzaga tomorrow.

Of course my 1-2 finished 2-1 in the women's tourney. I do wish Arizona could have pulled it off but one hell of a run that program has never enjoyed and with everything dogging the men's team it is a nice story.

Suggs hasn't hit a jumper all game. His lack of a jump shot is going to limit him the first few years in the league.

Butler on Baylor is a player. The third best prospect on the court behind Suggs and Mitchell.

Kind reminds me of Brandon Roy. Less handles, about the same size, efficient movement,.

Mitchell "only" put up 15pts 5asts 6rebs, but it felt like he completely dominated the whole game on both ends. Wow, what a player. Credit to the whole team, they played remarkable defense. One of the best defensive displays in college that I have ever seen.

They completely shut down the #1 offensive team in college this year. I saw somewhere that Gonzaga was ranked #3 in adjusted offense among all teams since 2003.

Such an amazing win by Baylor. Super well coached too

Gonzaga was not overrated but Baylor underrated by many. Bears end up 28-2 on the year with the national championship. But they could have gone possibly, if not easily 31-0. COVID set them back 3 weeks then limped back losing couple games against Kansas and Oklahoma St. Scheduled to meet Dec. 5, 2020 against Gonzaga but game never happened due to COVID.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
There's a whole lot of dudes on Twitter today, super-pressed about other people being confused about what is, allegedly, one of Bill Rafferty's "signature" catchphrases. And I feel like those people must severely overestimate the popularity of their favorite sport, and/or the popularity of Bill Rafferty.

I asked Doctor Internet to translate the phrase in question, and my immediate thought was, "That's a lot of words to say, 'he got crossed up'." Also, I saw a lot of, "If you've never heard that phrase, you must not have ever seen basketball played at a playground, in the last 50 years!" And I would humbly suggest to those people, we must not be going to the same kind of playgrounds, because the notion that that is a common playground expression has to, at a minimum, be one of the Top 25 #twoamericas thing I've ever heard.

I just looked up Bill Rafferty's signature catchphrases and the only one that is ingrained into my brain or that I've personally used on a playground is "a little kiss".

More importantly, I never actually understood "onions" and just thought it was a senile old man grunting in excitement. ummm, is that something I should be embarrassed about?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
More importantly, I never actually understood "onions" and just thought it was a senile old man grunting in excitement. ummm, is that something I should be embarrassed about?
I always assumed that "onions" was referring to the hypothetical size of the player's male-gamete-producing organs.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
As soon as I once heard Jason Terry explain in a post victory interview how his team "sucked the D in" it was all over for me. When it comes to basketball nothing is off limits, and that's how it should be.

I always assumed that "onions" was referring to the hypothetical size of the player's male-gamete-producing organs.
LOL - to be clear, it's not that I didn't understand what he meant by onions - although I don't, but that it was inaudible/unintelligible gibberish to my ears which I did a number on during all those concerts from my high school days.

Maybe if I watched with the close captioning on in more bars.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
LOL - to be clear, it's not that I didn't understand what he meant by onions - although I don't, but that it was inaudible/unintelligible gibberish to my ears which I did a number on during all those concerts from my high school days.

Maybe if I watched with the close captioning on in more bars.
But as Sauce Castillo demonstrated, sports closed captioning is usually atrocious. You'd probably get something like "An chair redbud lure pulls up four-three...young 'uns!"

If I hadn't listened to a compilation of him saying it a half dozen times I think I would have just thought he was holding back a sneeze mid-sentence.

Why did you think they had blown it? Was there a rumor of a different coach?
When Miller was canned, within a day the rumors were swirling that it was Lloyd and that the UA Pres and AD had hired a search firm back in January and decided months ago to move on from Miller despite proclaiming their support and they just had to interview a few alumni for show. Many predicted that the hire would be made on Saturday and they were working out the numbers. And the weekend came and went. Monday was "panic day" and that passed and then Tuesday with no hire with word that several of Lute's players (Arenas, RJ, Bramlett) started trashing Lloyd as under qualified and lobbying for Damon Stoudamire to get the job. There was reports they were going to start over after there seemed to be a failed push to get Musselman over the last 48 hours. Pastner's name kept coming up as time wore on and he is said to have allies including UA's baseball coach. I'll be honest that when Miller got canned Lloyd wasn't on my radar but I quickly convinced myself there wasn't a more worthy candidate unless Steve Kerr wanted the job.

It was only 7 days but it was a very long 7 days.