State of the Kings Pre-trade Deadline Edition

Will Haliburton be our best player at some point?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If we don’t trade Barnes we won’t have any cap space this year to sign anyone anyway other than maybe Holmes. With Fox’s extension kicking in we will be spending near the cap.

Would you do a 21 and 23 first rounder + Love for Bags and Buddy?
I would do one or the other but not both. I see Love as a huge albatross. Again that's two big minute guys on either roster for 2 years of dead money.

According to this we'd only be at 69% of the cap assuming we relinquish our cap holds.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/2021/

Maybe I am misreading? Obviously if we swap some expirings for longer contracts that would change, but Love to me would require massive compensation not good players going back.

I would think the Kings will be a little gun shy about FA being their plan after Vlades moves the last few years. The obvious choice for a franchise that has basically soiled it's reputation in all aspects is to do the OKC method of taking on contracts for picks. Whiteside was a good get but I'm sure we'll see the strings that made it possible if he's bought out and joins a contender. Also, you can't discount the feeling agents have about the Kings after they hampered the careers of many of the signings they've made the last few season. Dedmon didn't look good here and yes, he was misused, but talk about a cautionary tale. He went from someone of some level of value to out of the league because of the stink left over from the Kings. Agents aren't going to beat the Kings door down for any amount now I'd bet.

If there is substance to the idea that teams are kind of just waiting this season out, like some people seem to believe about the Kings since there are no fans, I wouldn't be surprised to see a pretty quiet deadline outside of a rash of buyouts so the rich can get richer.

Exactly this. I think it shows a lot about the mental fortitude and maturity of our guys to be fine with a lame duck coach like Walton who will let them stink it up with a losing record and no signs of significant improvement, over someone who was a little more rough around the edges like Dave was but who was getting real results. I get that it can be difficult working with certain strong personalities in any job you are in, but the results should have been all that mattered in my honest opinion.

We’ve been a losing franchise consistently for approaching on two decades and the closest we have gotten to turning that around (aside from the Malone-DMC debacle) we s*** can the guy who’s improving the team and developing guys because our players are getting their feelings hurt and don’t want a strong coach at the helm. The more we hear of Walton support throughout the locker room during these long losing streaks it starts to reflect poorly on the players to me.
I don't miss that guy one bit. That's why he has no job now. His rotations was worse than Waltons. Say what you want about walton...I have. But let's not act like we wasnt screaming for the last coaches head. I celebrated when he got fired and I still Do. Fire this one too. Until we get one that's worth a dam

how about:

Cavs 2021 first, 2022 pick swap and Kevin Love for

Buddy Hield and Marvin Bagley.

Cavs can run a lineup of

Sexton
Okoro
Osman
Bagley
Allen

Buddy can come in and average 18 off the bench and Marvin gets to shine next to a defensive center with size and be more of a focal point on offense. They could also start Buddy for the rest of this year and groom Okoro.

You could make an argument Marvin and Buddy would help the Cavs more than say the 7th or 8th pick (might not even be that high since they play in the East) And Change of scenery could be great for both players.

Kings lineup of

Fox
Haliburton
DQJ
Love
Holmes

with 6 picks in a good draft. (4 of our own and firsts from Boston and Cleveland)
No

The deals I think that are somewhat realistic and would love to see:

-Harrison Barnes for Bos 1st, Aaron NeSmith, Grant Williams

Why for Kings: Barnes is awesome and has taken a leap this season, but this team just isn't going to be good enough to take advantage during his contract. Gets three young pieces on the age curve with your franchise cornerstones

Why for Celtics: The Celtics on the other hand need a player exactly like Harrison Barnes to put them over the top with their stars. They have the hard part figured out with Tatum/Brown/Kemba. They need that 3/4 flex wing who's not going to demand shots, play good defense and be a reliable spacer as a role player. He'd walk right into a 35+ MPG role for them.

-Buddy Hield for Tyrese Maxey (would love Thybulle, but I don't think they flip him) Mike Scott and Danny Green (2 expirings)

Why for Kings: You reset the Buddy contract and get a young combo guard you can pair with either Hali or Fox.

Why for Sixers: I've felt this since the off-season, but there just isn't a better fit for the Sixers than adding Buddy's shooting to Simmons/Embiid paint dominance and the attention they bring. They get a huge infusion of win-now talent as they look to build on a title run. Maxey is a good prospect, but Shake Milton already does similar things for them off the bench and Maxey just doesn't have a ton of value for a team looking to win a title in the next 2 seasons.

This leaves you with Fox/Hali, 2 2021 1sts in a strong draft, Bagley,Woodard/Guy/Ramsey. and an infusion of new young talent with NeSmith, Maxey and Grant Williams. Cap wise you can comfortably resign Holmes while having plenty of space to take on bad contracts for cap space or take a flier on someone like RFA Talen Horton Tucker.

The deals I think that are somewhat realistic and would love to see:

-Harrison Barnes for Bos 1st, Aaron NeSmith, Grant Williams

Why for Kings: Barnes is awesome and has taken a leap this season, but this team just isn't going to be good enough to take advantage during his contract. Gets three young pieces on the age curve with your franchise cornerstones

Why for Celtics: The Celtics on the other hand need a player exactly like Harrison Barnes to put them over the top with their stars. They have the hard part figured out with Tatum/Brown/Kemba. They need that 3/4 flex wing who's not going to demand shots, play good defense and be a reliable spacer as a role player. He'd walk right into a 35+ MPG role for them.

-Buddy Hield for Tyrese Maxey (would love Thybulle, but I don't think they flip him) Mike Scott and Danny Green (2 expirings)

Why for Kings: You reset the Buddy contract and get a young combo guard you can pair with either Hali or Fox.

Why for Sixers: I've felt this since the off-season, but there just isn't a better fit for the Sixers than adding Buddy's shooting to Simmons/Embiid paint dominance and the attention they bring. They get a huge infusion of win-now talent as they look to build on a title run. Maxey is a good prospect, but Shake Milton already does similar things for them off the bench and Maxey just doesn't have a ton of value for a team looking to win a title in the next 2 seasons.

This leaves you with Fox/Hali, 2 2021 1sts in a strong draft, Bagley,Woodard/Guy/Ramsey. and an infusion of new young talent with NeSmith, Maxey and Grant Williams. Cap wise you can comfortably resign Holmes while having plenty of space to take on bad contracts for cap space or take a flier on someone like RFA Talen Horton Tucker.
The Maxey deal is interesting to me. I really like him as a prospect but is a backup combo something you go after as your main get?

The Maxey deal is interesting to me. I really like him as a prospect but is a backup combo something you go after as your main get?
Not the biggest need, but there's definite value in getting to reset the Buddy deal. Buddy makes 22.2 mil and Maxey makes 2.6 next season, so you're giving Monte the ability to work some trades, take a shot on some younger RFA (Monk? THT?) and comfortably resign Holmes. Like I'd be very much in favor of turning Buddy's money into Holmes on a 12-14 mil deal/THT on a 6-7 mil deal and Maxey.

Maxey is just a talented dude too on a team that needs young upside. The more the merrier.

Not the biggest need, but there's definite value in getting to reset the Buddy deal. Buddy makes 22.2 mil and Maxey makes 2.6 next season, so you're giving Monte the ability to work some trades, take a shot on some younger RFA (Monk? THT?) and comfortably resign Holmes. Like I'd be very much in favor of turning Buddy's money into Holmes on a 12-14 mil deal/THT on a 6-7 mil deal and Maxey.

Maxey is just a talented dude too on a team that needs young upside. The more the merrier.
I've definitely seen Maxey get hyped over the past few months (wondering how much is from the Sixers trying to increase his trade value), but curious about his sub-30% 3 point percentage. Is he a slasher/volume scorer or is the 3 point shot likely to trend upward? I don't actually even remember seeing him play this year so more interested in what people think of him as a long term prospect.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I don't miss that guy one bit. That's why he has no job now. His rotations was worse than Waltons. Say what you want about walton...I have. But let's not act like we wasnt screaming for the last coaches head. I celebrated when he got fired and I still Do. Fire this one too. Until we get one that's worth a dam
I mean... some fans celebrated when Rick Adelman was quietly allowed to leave with no contract offer in 2006. Fans are notoriously fickle when it comes to head coaches. Of the long line of coaching mishaps which have followed since that fateful decision in 2006, I never had a problem with either Dave Joerger or Mike Malone. Dave had a right to be salty when the front office brain trust over-ruled him on the draft and the guy he wanted put in the best rookie season since Lebron. I also think Reggie Theus wasn't given much of a chance but that's ancient history at this point.

I mean... some fans celebrated when Rick Adelman was quietly allowed to leave with no contract offer in 2006. Fans are notoriously fickle when it comes to head coaches. Of the long line of coaching mishaps which have followed since that fateful decision in 2006, I never had a problem with either Dave Joerger or Mike Malone. Dave had a right to be salty when the front office brain trust over-ruled him on the draft and the guy he wanted put in the best rookie season since Lebron. I also think Reggie Theus wasn't given much of a chance but that's ancient history at this point.
I was amazed at how many were eager to let Adelman leave back then. I was one of those who kept saying, be careful what you wish for.

I was amazed at how many were eager to let Adelman leave back then. I was one of those who kept saying, be careful what you wish for.
Once the Bonzi/Artest dynamic was gone it didn't matter much who was the HC although that was a cluster F that looks somewhat tame compared to what we've seen out of the franchise lately unfortunately.

Once the Bonzi/Artest dynamic was gone it didn't matter much who was the HC although that was a cluster F that looks somewhat tame compared to what we've seen out of the franchise lately unfortunately.
I've always said that a good coach probably only makes a marginal difference (2-5 games) throughout a season over an average coach. A great coach (where I would have Adelman) might add another couple of games. Their real worth shows more in the pkayoffs. However, a bad coach could easily cost a team 15-20 games.

The most experienced and qualified coach they had, was let go because he wouldn't back down from Cousins' antics

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
The thing with Adelman is he was allowed to exit gracefully. He wasn't going to coach a rapidly falling apart team to more success than anyone else. Maybe he could have eeked out one more good year during Musselman's year. The Maloofs were the problem there. There was always hope back then that the Maloofs would get it and rebuild but they could never accept that mentality and thought they knew better.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
The thing with Adelman is he was allowed to exit gracefully. He wasn't going to coach a rapidly falling apart team to more success than anyone else. Maybe he could have eeked out one more good year during Musselman's year. The Maloofs were the problem there. There was always hope back then that the Maloofs would get it and rebuild but they could never accept that mentality and thought they knew better.
It's hard to say exactly what the cause and effect was here. Did the Maloofs only want to move/sell the team after they lost a substantial portion of their fortune in the Bernie Madoff scandal or were they quietly sabotaging all efforts to set down roots in Sacramento well before that? Did the team get dismantled because the core was getting old and starting to deal with mounting injuries or was that already an effort to reduce overhead in preparation to move the team? Did the Maloofs let Adelman seek greener pastures elsewhere knowing the team was going into a rebuild or did they sour on his inability to win in the playoffs and the team's perceived shortcomings on the defensive end?

Summer of 2006 we still had a pretty solid core of talent with Bibby at PG, Bonzi and K Mart at SG, Ron Artest at SF still in his prime and one of the best two-way players in the league, and Brad Miller at the C position dropping dimes and making 3pt jumpers like it's 2019. But the manner in which Webber was shipped out the year before had already stripped away the emotional bedrock. From what I can recall, we already knew Adelman wasn't coming back before Bonzi infamously turned down a 5 year $38.5 million contract (respectable at that time) and then ultimately signed with Houston for $2 million instead. There's a lot of what-ifs here but I think if Adelman is on board there's a decent shot Bonzi comes to his senses and we bring that same squad back.

At that time there was a sizable chunk of the fanbase which was on board with ditching Adelman and all the painful memories of what happened in 2002 in favor of some new blood. Knowing what we know now of course, that it would kick off a 15 year coaching carousel which still hasn't stopped spinning and tie us for the longest post-season drought in NBA history, I can't help wondering if making Adelman our Jerry Sloan and letting him run the team win or lose until he decided it was time to retire would have been the right way to go.

Maybe I’m in the minority on this, but I really don’t want to lose Richaun Holmes. That kid has flourished since joining the franchise and clearly loves being here.

Furthermore, Holmes is exactly the type of player a really good team needs. He plays unselfishly, exceptionally hard and is very productive. He has a money ”go to” shot and doesn’t need the ball in his hands all the time to be effective. He converts free throws at an acceptable rate.

And he plays hard on both ends. He’s a gamer. He’s just a really good player.
Did I mention he loves playing in SAC? ;)

He’s one player aside from Swipa and Hali that I wouldn’t be looking to move. He can very much be part of a winning solution for the KINGS.

I think HB can be part of it too.

Really, Buddy is the only starter I’m not sold on. And MB3 still has much to prove. But Holmes, HB, Swipa, and Hali can all be part of a winning core.

It’s all the other pieces they need to figure out.
100% Agree! Big Rich is a a young vet, great teammate, and skilled unselfish player who is committed to the community and team... on what planet would we try to trade him away??

He's a perfect fit in SacTown, and its just like us to have no appreciation for what we've suddenly got. What happens the next time MB3 goes down and there's no Holmes in the post?

Here ya go.
  1. Splice Bjeli's offensive abilities together with Whiteside's defensive abilities.
  2. Add Speed and Quickness and infuse into a 23-year-old, Giannis-Antetokounmpo-look-alike body.
  3. Retain Holmes and HB.
Next year's starters: Holmes, Giannis-with-a-3, HB, Ty, Foxy.

Yr welcome.

on what planet would we try to trade him away??
What are you willing to pay him after this season when his contract expires is the real question. If the amount you are willing to pay is under the amount you estimate he gets from the open market, then trading him is the right move because you get something for him instead of nothing. No one "wants" to lose their good players but this is a salary cap sport so when anyone talks about Holmes' future in here it should always include the amount of money they are willing to give him.

It's hard to say exactly what the cause and effect was here. Did the Maloofs only want to move/sell the team after they lost a substantial portion of their fortune in the Bernie Madoff scandal or were they quietly sabotaging all efforts to set down roots in Sacramento well before that? Did the team get dismantled because the core was getting old and starting to deal with mounting injuries or was that already an effort to reduce overhead in preparation to move the team? Did the Maloofs let Adelman seek greener pastures elsewhere knowing the team was going into a rebuild or did they sour on his inability to win in the playoffs and the team's perceived shortcomings on the defensive end?

Summer of 2006 we still had a pretty solid core of talent with Bibby at PG, Bonzi and K Mart at SG, Ron Artest at SF still in his prime and one of the best two-way players in the league, and Brad Miller at the C position dropping dimes and making 3pt jumpers like it's 2019. But the manner in which Webber was shipped out the year before had already stripped away the emotional bedrock. From what I can recall, we already knew Adelman wasn't coming back before Bonzi infamously turned down a 5 year $38.5 million contract (respectable at that time) and then ultimately signed with Houston for $2 million instead. There's a lot of what-ifs here but I think if Adelman is on board there's a decent shot Bonzi comes to his senses and we bring that same squad back.

At that time there was a sizable chunk of the fanbase which was on board with ditching Adelman and all the painful memories of what happened in 2002 in favor of some new blood. Knowing what we know now of course, that it would kick off a 15 year coaching carousel which still hasn't stopped spinning and tie us for the longest post-season drought in NBA history, I can't help wondering if making Adelman our Jerry Sloan and letting him run the team win or lose until he decided it was time to retire would have been the right way to go.
Definitely Adelman never should have been let go. And imagining him as our Jerry Sloan is a nice thought. But with how the relocation saga went down, I’m glad he got to move on and have more good years coaching. I loved watching his Houston teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.