Trade target or ‘21 FA target thread

Again, pure speculation, but if it was so, Buddy + Bags + 2 first would be a steal for KAT. Think Minny demands 3 first.
I would do it if the trade happened after the lottery and we were out of the top 5. It’s a no if we still have a chance at Cade/Mobley/Kuminga

I would do it if the trade happened after the lottery and we were out of the top 5. It’s a no if we still have a chance at Cade/Mobley/Kuminga
Time will tell.

Barring something unexpected, KAT is 25 and has the type of game that should be good until he's 35. Less athleticism, a ton of skill. That's 8-10 more all star years.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
In a very similar situation to Cousins/Fox, I can't blame KAT for his organizational failures around him. He's an incredible player who's still somehow just 25 years old. If I can get KAT without Fox/Hali, I'm making it happen. Figure out the rest later.
I'm not sure that under this proposal we have much left to figure things out with. Obviously it all depends on the "filler" pieces, but it doesn't sound as if the proposal suggests these will be useful pieces. Next year, our team would be:

Fox
Haliburton/James/Ramsey
DQJ/Woodard
--
Towns

We would have no first round pick this year, or two years down the road, and we would be paying at least $73M (again, unless filler made it worse) for a lineup featuring three proven NBA rotation players and a grand total of one player over 6'8". We would have about $39M in cap space to hunt out literally 5 rotation players to fill out the lineup. Keep in mind that Sacramento is notoriously NOT a free agent destination.

This proposal is laying the entire cupboard bare on the hopes that it can build a team out of free agency in a market that needs to build through the draft. I can see Bagley + one of Barnes/Buddy for Towns, but all three AND two draft picks looks like it would guarantee us in the lottery for three more years and only one pick to show for it.

I'm not sure that under this proposal we have much left to figure things out with. Obviously it all depends on the "filler" pieces, but it doesn't sound as if the proposal suggests these will be useful pieces. Next year, our team would be:

Fox
Haliburton/James/Ramsey
DQJ/Woodard
--
Towns

We would have no first round pick this year, or two years down the road, and we would be paying at least $73M (again, unless filler made it worse) for a lineup featuring three proven NBA rotation players and a grand total of one player over 6'8". We would have about $39M in cap space to hunt out literally 5 rotation players to fill out the lineup. Keep in mind that Sacramento is notoriously NOT a free agent destination.

This proposal is laying the entire cupboard bare on the hopes that it can build a team out of free agency in a market that needs to build through the draft. I can see Bagley + one of Barnes/Buddy for Towns, but all three AND two draft picks looks like it would guarantee us in the lottery for three more years and only one pick to show for it.
With KAT, those Kings first won't be high picks. As for filler, I'd rather have a bunch of Woodards and DQJs surrounding the core three then Cojos and Dedmons.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
With KAT, those Kings first won't be high picks. As for filler, I'd rather have a bunch of Woodards and DQJs surrounding the core three then Cojos and Dedmons.
Not high picks? We're 8 games under .500 and sitting in the fifth lottery slot, we have a thin rotation, we have one of the worst defenses in NBA history, and you think we can trade away three starters for one non-defensive player and somehow not have a high lotto pick? That would be be a top-5 pick unless we got incredibly unlucky in the lottery.

I'm old enough to remember that the last great Kings team was built by trading for a 25 year old star whose resume was marred by perceptions of being an underachiever. I've long been a proponent of building through the draft, but I think the pendulum may have swung too far--it's almost a myopic focus on draft picks or bust these days.
We didn't give up 3 starters & 3 first round pick to get him. If we had, the Kings streak of not making the playoffs would be much longer.

Not high picks? We're 8 games under .500 and sitting in the fifth lottery slot, we have a thin rotation, we have one of the worst defenses in NBA history, and you think we can trade away three starters for one non-defensive player and somehow not have a high lotto pick? That would be be a top-5 pick unless we got incredibly unlucky in the lottery.
If the Kings traded for KAT, the Kings would not end up with a 5th pick or higher in this year's draft. The pick would be late lotto or in the teens, depending on when the trade happens.

I'm old enough to remember that the last great Kings team was built by trading for a 25 year old star whose resume was marred by perceptions of being an underachiever. I've long been a proponent of building through the draft, but I think the pendulum may have swung too far--it's almost a myopic focus on draft picks or bust these days.
I think folks are really underestimating just how good KAT is.

We didn't give up 3 starters & 3 first round pick to get him. If we had, the Kings streak of not making the playoffs would be much longer.
That’s true... just an ageing Thorp and a past prime Richmond.
I like the thought of landing an established star but that’s a potentially crippling high cost. I was reading about a week back Toronto’s interest in moving Siakam. If any possibility without breaking the bank, should be a nice fit.

That’s true... just an ageing Thorp and a past prime Richmond.
I like the thought of landing an established star but that’s a potentially crippling high cost. I was reading about a week back Toronto’s interest in moving Siakam. If any possibility without breaking the bank, should be a nice fit.
KAT is younger than Siakam. By 1.5 years.

I think folks are really underestimating just how good KAT is.
I loved KAT coming out of college and hoped the Kings would have a chance to draft him. He was a good defensive player in college, but is terrible in the NBA. You can't deny what he does on offense, but the only trip his team made to the playoffs was when Butler lead them there. In the right situation he could help make a team a contender. However, he brings two things to the Kings that add to their weaknesses: bad defense & soft play.

There are only a few players in the league that you can play them with a bunch of role players and drag a team to the playoffs for legit contention in the west. Usually you have to pair them with a player of similar talent.

KAT hasn't shown he is that caliber of player, and neither has Fox.

There are only a few players in the league that you can play them with a bunch of role players and drag a team to the playoffs for legit contention in the west. Usually you have to pair them with a player of similar talent.

KAT hasn't shown he is that caliber of player, and neither has Fox.
To be fair; I think the question is not can Towns drag us there on his own or can Fox on his own but the sum of Towns + Halliburton + Fox should be able to get us there without question to me. For all of KAT’s flaws he’s still at a tender age where he absolutely fits the timeline of where we’re trying to go and can still improve upon some of those qualities people love to pick at

KAT is younger than Siakam. By 1.5 years.
yeah considering Siakam was in the 2016 draft surprised he has recently turned 27. Mid-major college players aren’t always one and done but coming from the Cameroon originally might mean less wear and tear.
Anyways, I like what he brings including championship experience. It should be interesting if there is any truth to his being moved.

Last edited:
If Monte has any say I highly doubt he's going to put all his eggs in the go now basket. That would potential cut his career way short since the expectations would rise immediately. The MO for a new GM is to start tearing apart the core of this team and then give himself a window of a roughly 2-3 years to start putting it together. Gee, sound familiar? haha.

To be fair; I think the question is not can Towns drag us there on his own or can Fox on his own but the sum of Towns + Halliburton + Fox should be able to get us there without question to me. For all of KAT’s flaws he’s still at a tender age where he absolutely fits the timeline of where we’re trying to go and can still improve upon some of those qualities people love to pick at
Plus the Kings would be subtracting two worse defenders than KAT. Those two are the reason why the Kings defensive rating has sucked so much.

Plus I think Holmes is a better defender than KAT, but only because he's more mobile. KAT would provide more of a shot blocking presence on defense than Holmes. On offense, it's no contest. Holmes should be a bench big. Watch that Orlando game again where the Magic clogged the mid range area (nullified his push shot) and dared Holmes to shoot or facilitate--he didn't/couldn't. And didn't do much beyond handing off the ball. KAT would bring a whole new dimension to the Kings offense.

yeah considering Siakam was in the 2016 draft he has recently turned 27. Mid-major college players aren’t always one and done but coming from the Cameroon originally might mean less wear and tear.
Anyways, I like what he brings including championship experience. It should be interesting if there is any truth to his being moved.
If you read the Toronto boards, the Rap fans are down on him. He's limited--though he destroys the Kings (who doesn't). I'd be weary of trading for him.

I think it is fair to say that there are differing evaluations of how good KAT is.
Fair enough. Guess we should just look at the facts--25 years old, two time NBA all star. Career average: 23 points, 12 boards, 3 assists, and 1.5 blocks per game. 3.6 3-PT attempts per game--(40% 3 PT %).

Remember when people said Boogie had empty stats, it’s fair to say that of KAT too then right?
KAT made the playoffs in his 3rd season, so he doesn't get that label the way Cousins and Devin Booker did. I don't know that KAT can be the best player on a contending team though. He's a very good player, but team success means a lot in this league. If he was on this Kings' team, I don't think we'd make the playoffs

KAT made the playoffs in his 3rd season, so he doesn't get that label the way Cousins and Devin Booker did. I don't know that KAT can be the best player on a contending team though. He's a very good player, but team success means a lot in this league. If he was on this Kings' team, I don't think we'd make the playoffs
You left off Jimmy Butler led the team to the playoffs not KAT.

KAT does not impress me as a championship caliber player.
He’s very Chris Webber like? Lol! It’s hard to argue this move would give the kings hands down a big 2 with Fox and Kat (which is fun to say btw). Plus Tyrese next to Fox? Wow it would be like 2002 again if we could get some role players in here not named CoJo. If we could keep Holmes too that would be a huge start at rolling out a top tier starting 5.