Harrison Barnes 2020/21

Just wanted to spotlight HB’s play so far this season.

HB catches a lot of flak around these parts because he’s not a super star, but he is still a damn good all-around player.

This season his production is up almost across the board. His shooting numbers are phenomenal. Over 53% overall and over 43% from 3.

Some might be surprised by this, but HB has pretty much been a 40% shooter from 3 during his time with the KINGS thus far. Pretty darned good.

Circling back to this current season, while most of us would like this team to be better than 5-6 and to play much better team defense then they’ve been doing, it’s been hard to ignore how consistently well HB has been playing. And I thought it was only fair to dedicate a thread to him.

Hopefully my fellow KINGS fans are appreciate of his play as well.

Last edited:
Well my fellow basketballerinos, I can't hold it in any longer. There's been a rumor going around about why HB's production has been up this year, some have speculated that, based on the advice of his consigliere, he paid a clandestine visit to my noni's house in Sausalito over the summer, defying the Governor's orders of lasagna consumption undertaken with more than one family unit present in a dwelling.

These were hot rumors. And if true, and word got out, we feared my noni would be inundated with requests for the career boosting dish. I can reveal this now because we've since relocated her to an undisclosed location, one in which she can continue unimpeded the production of this magical essence. Don't worry, she is safe, and so is Harrison's new supply of life giving lasagna. The numbers should be steady for a while. Please do not contact for more, she is at capacity. I only wish the entire world could benefit from what I was raised on, as Mr. Barnes is now. And don't worry, she's contractually obligated to never provide the goods for the Lakers or Warriors. She's a Kings fan till the day she's making lasagna for our Lord above.

To life, love, and lasagna,

Vinny Basketballerino

Through 11 games Barnes is averaging career highs in FG%, 3P%, APG, and maybe most importantly, RPG.

I say the rebounding is the most welcome development because even if his shooting percentages fall off after this start, I think Harrison is most effective at PF, but that means he needs to be strong in the glass. So far he's grabbing two more boards per game than last season. Nice.

Harrison Barnes is awesome. He's playing very well, possibly the best ball of his career, but he's ALWAYS been underrated.

For all the complaints, sometimes vitriolic, sent his way...

Who leads the Kings in minutes per game this year? Harrison Barnes.
Who led in 2019-20? Harrison Barnes.
Who led for the Kings once he came over in 2018-19? Harrison Barnes.
Who led for the Mavs before he left in 2018-19? Harrison Barnes.
Who led for the Mavs in 2017-18? Harrison Barnes.
Who led for the Mavs in 2016-17? Harrison Barnes.

For those keeping track at home, that's 5 years running in which the guys who know best, the coaches, have put HB on the floor more than any other player.

No, he isn't a superstar. But he's the most versatile defender on on most teams he's played on, including the current Kings. And the most versatile offensive player: post-ups, turnaround jumpers, drives, alley-oops, midrange jumpers, 3-pters, underrated passer.... solid or better in ALL those areas. (I love that he's getting to the FT line a bit more this year - 80% from the line for his career.

He's also a team leader, plays hard every night, plays "the right way" every night, does whatever is asked of him without moaning, and is second-to-none in terms of community service all three cities he's lived in as a pro athlete. All that really should count for something.

'Preciation to the OP for this thread, and I hope you all remember to keep dishing' HB some love if/when he hits a rough patch.

Through 11 games Barnes is averaging career highs in FG%, 3P%, APG, and maybe most importantly, RPG.

I say the rebounding is the most welcome development because even if his shooting percentages fall off after this start, I think Harrison is most effective at PF, but that means he needs to be strong in the glass. So far he's grabbing two more boards per game than last season. Nice.

Very nice. Would also love to see Richaun, Tyrese, and Harrison get more shot attempts. They have true shooting percentages of 71%, 68%, and 64%, respectively. They're also the 3 rotation players with the highest PERs, by far, but also in the bottom half of the team in FGA/36 min.

I have passive background player HB lots of flack last year.

Assertive HB of this season is a brand new beast and worth every penny of that contract.
He needs to be more assertive, yes. But Fox, Cojo, now Halliburton also need to look for him more. Last year and still, now, often, he spends a LOT of time camped above the 3-pt line and getting no touches, much less shots, for multiple consecutive offensive trips/game. And if his teammates aren't finding him on their own, Walton has to make it happen.

He needs to be more assertive, yes. But Fox, Cojo, now Halliburton also need to look for him more. Last year and still, now, often, he spends a LOT of time camped above the 3-pt line and getting no touches, much less shots, for multiple consecutive offensive trips/game. And if his teammates aren't finding him on their own, Walton has to make it happen.
Doug mentioned his mismatch last game. Too fast for 4s and too strong for 3s and when shots aren’t falling, they need to switch him on a guard and let him work his magic.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
he has been earning his contract extension that Vlade gave to him, which is a good sign. He needs to consistently get more shot attempts behind Fox and Buddy.

I have been watching this guy his whole career. I was hoping that the Kings would draft him. Barnes is 6'8" and plenty strong. He is quick and very versatile. He can play the 3, the 4 and the 5. He does whatever is asked of him. He can post up, shoot the 3 and is a great finisher around the basket. Asking him to be more aggressive on offense was a great idea. He is a good defender. Rebounding has never been his best attribute, but he is doing better at it this year than previous years.

Last edited: