Playing with a new analytics tool

That can be found here: https://www.bball-index.com/lebron-database/ and here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...n7Sed7gl9wPg_KqnS7KfD98nM/edit#gid=1550051726

I'm sure the tool has it's limitations - but was a rabbit hole I was happy to fall into before climbing myself out to start work. A few quick observations on these metrics:

- Belly and Holmes added the most wins last year, WCS and Fox added the most wins the year before.
- With the exception of HB, all key players who played for both Joerger and Walton had a worse defensive impact under Walton. This was offset for some - but not all - with better offensive impact. Obviously there was a change in minutes played for some.
- Corey Joseph has only had three seasons where his defensive impact has been in the top half of NBA players. Last year his overall impact was worse than 2/3rds of the league.
- Fox's impact is projected to be in the top 10% of all players for 6 full seasons (if you allow rounding). This year isn't one of them. Also a reminder that Fox was awful in his first year.
- MBIII has a bit of work to do this year to improve.
- Hassan Whiteside is super impactful. I don't get why he is so cheap and doesn't get more minutes here. Is it just his demeanor?

That can be found here: https://www.bball-index.com/lebron-database/ and here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...n7Sed7gl9wPg_KqnS7KfD98nM/edit#gid=1550051726

I'm sure the tool has it's limitations - but was a rabbit hole I was happy to fall into before climbing myself out to start work. A few quick observations on these metrics:

- Belly and Holmes added the most wins last year, WCS and Fox added the most wins the year before.
- With the exception of HB, all key players who played for both Joerger and Walton had a worse defensive impact under Walton. This was offset for some - but not all - with better offensive impact. Obviously there was a change in minutes played for some.
- Corey Joseph has only had three seasons where his defensive impact has been in the top half of NBA players. Last year his overall impact was worse than 2/3rds of the league.
- Fox's impact is projected to be in the top 10% of all players for 6 full seasons (if you allow rounding). This year isn't one of them. Also a reminder that Fox was awful in his first year.
- Hassan Whiteside is super impactful. I don't get why he is so cheap and doesn't get more minutes here. Is it just his demeanor?
Stats dont take reality into account. Kings want to run, whiteside cant keep up.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Stats dont take reality into account. Kings want to run, whiteside cant keep up.
Exactomundo! Garnering stats based on a system that doesn't represent the goals laid out or what common sense tells you about how you team SHOULD be used don't mean much. As I brought up last year a lot though, 5 man stats can tell you the lineups that tended to have the most success and last year they were the small ones.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
The players want to run but Walton has them 14th in pace this year and they were 20th in pace last year. Joerger had them 5th in pace during that last year they almost hit .500.
It's still too early to really hammer home too many advanced stats but there are probably large chunks of games where they are the slowest pace team I'd bet. Depending on lineups of course. Things have been so off the wall, and yes it's still early so individual games will skew things, but within one single game they jump or recede multiple positions in those standings. My guess is as is this is still the "pace" team is was years prior that literally only transition 3's from Buddy and the occasional full court stomp from Fox are the things keeping their pace hopes alive. We are still routinely seeing shots go up well into the clock. Pace teams being fastbreak teams is a misnomer. Pace teams are efficient half court teams more than anything.

kb02

All-Star

Would anyone be surprised if this is CoJo’s last NBA contract?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Would anyone be surprised if this is CoJo’s last NBA contract?
Last big one. He's got just enough reputation to pick up a few more years as a second/third stringer. I would actually be a little surprised if somebody didn't pick him up on the cheap next year. (I would, of course, be SHOCKED if we didn't cut him this offseason and instead allowed his unguaranteed money to vest.)

kb02

All-Star
Last big one. He's got just enough reputation to pick up a few more years as a second/third stringer. I would actually be a little surprised if somebody didn't pick him up on the cheap next year. (I would, of course, be SHOCKED if we didn't cut him this offseason and instead allowed his unguaranteed money to vest.)
Yea, I can see that. Has any Kings GM wasted money like Vlade did? His greatest hits are just shocking--Cojo, Zbo, Vince, Dedmon, Landry...only decent signings were Hill (traded 1/2 year into his contract), Bjelly, and Holmes.