[Game] Kings vs Rockets, 1/2/2021, 2PM PST, 5PM EST

Where were you the night Tony Delk scored 53 points on the Kings?

• Total voters
He and his dad along with that other cancer Buddy had that coach fired. How’d that work out? Dave had them playing the best ball of their careers, now you couldn’t even give them away for a bag of chips. We need to cut bait with these cancerous malcontent/social media diva type of players if we’re going to build a winning culture here.

Also, you are one of the (many) Vlade-stans that populate this particular site. I recall you and the mods cheerleading when Vlade replaced Dave with Puke Lalton.
Surely we can do better than childish names, right? That's so 2020.

I didn't want Joerger gone, but he clearly coached his way out. He drew a line in the sand and management decided to go the other direction. Like others, I was willing to give Luke the benefit of doubt even though I didn't think he was an upgrade. My gut says Gentry takes over by the break, regardless of record. How else do you sell him on taking a position below someone with a weaker profile? That said, it's also believable that Walton is being surrounded by skilled coaches in an effort to improve his acumen for a long term stay. My point is that some of us are willing to look forward instead of harping on the past, because there's really no value in it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't agree about Joerger. Joerger didn't clearly coach his way out - he was run out by the nepotist Vlade who wanted more pals around to smoke cigars with.
Joerger has assholed his way out of two different head coaching positions. I don’t think Joerger is necessarily a bad coach, I think he’s a dick
Also why the hell are we relitigating decisions from three seasons ago?

Joerger has assholed his way out of two different head coaching positions. I don’t think Joerger is necessarily a bad coach, I think he’s a dick
Also why the hell are we relitigating decisions from three seasons ago?
went with the flow man... the guys above me brought up Joerger. And I got baggage - I'm a refugee from political twitter for a minute I'm sorry I'm scarred

They. Them. The team.

I didn't single any particular person or group out.
No, not directly. But half time adjustments and getting the rotations (I may have misread that as player rotations like who is playing with whom) straight would fall under the jurisdiction of the coach. That's why I questioned if the scapegoat would then be the coach. And in all honesty, I do have a bias against him.

The team doesn't need a scapegoat. They need to make half time adjustments and get their rotations straight.

No, not directly. But half time adjustments and getting the rotations (I may have misread that as player rotations like who is playing with whom) straight would fall under the jurisdiction of the coach. That's why I questioned if the scapegoat would then be the coach. And in all honesty, I do have a bias against him.
I think that if a team is strong in an area, whether it be offense or defense, they can cover up for another player's weakness in general. In that sense, I don't think the team is very good at any one thing and that speaks to the players as a whole.

As far as coaching, they haven't quite made up their mind on how they want to approach the season, the rotations, the 3rd quarter or even the lineups. Because of that, it will frustrate players who don't know what they need to do to stay on the court.

My impression of Walton is that he favors mid level blue collar players, because that's what he was. He understands them. Walton did NOT do well handling the young guys in LA, because he didn't relate. When Ball and Ingram went to NO under new coaching, they immediately got better.

Walton should theoretically be a great coach for this market, that tends to favor blue collar guys.

I think that if a team is strong in an area, whether it be offense or defense, they can cover up for another player's weakness in general. In that sense, I don't think the team is very good at any one thing and that speaks to the players as a whole.

As far as coaching, they haven't quite made up their mind on how they want to approach the season, the rotations, the 3rd quarter or even the lineups. Because of that, it will frustrate players who don't know what they need to do to stay on the court.

My impression of Walton is that he favors mid level blue collar players, because that's what he was. He understands them. Walton did NOT do well handling the young guys in LA, because he didn't relate. When Ball and Ingram went to NO under new coaching, they immediately got better.

Walton should theoretically be a great coach for this market, that tends to favor blue collar guys.
I like your explanation. Kings' fans have loved the blue collar guys but those players should be the flavorings not the main item on the ticket. A coach who can't adapt to the strength of the players given him isn't much of a coach. My assessment (bias acknowledged) is that he is a snake charmer. Knows what to say even if he doesn't mean it. If there was a misunderstanding of their understanding prior to the season I hope ties are cut quick. And if there wasn't, I still hope ties are cut quick. The coaching style and team doesn't appear to be a good match.

Well Walton actually sat down and took many questions about Bagley here. He was "polite"

You say polite, I say slick Willie. Despite being very shallow in terms of answers, I was not comforted by his answer to James Hamm. Hamm's question was on the balance of developing the youth versus going for the wins... He essentially admitted that he would go with who he was comfortable with but Hali forced his hand to leave him in. He didn't intend to at first.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

If only the coach of the team that they went to when they immediately got better we’re available and not on the coaching staff of a team somewhere out there... oh wait, he’s already here?

Marvin Bagley is an average NBA player. Buddy Hield is also an average NBA player. If we could somehow trade both of those guys for a legit superstsar or a legit young prospect, we’d most likely reach playoffs this season.
I suggested trading them for an 30/9 mvp player last week and got laughed at

Now back to the Rockets game. I do not really understand how a pro basketball team could play so poorly for a half. Was it the coach, or the players fault? To play like they did everyone needs to share some blame.

Maybe the Kings read their press clippings. Off to a 3-1 start, the future looks bright.

I believe both teams scored under 20 points in the 3rd after putting up 60+ in the first half, the Rockets just managed to recover a bit.

In my mind it's on the players for bad shooting, the coach for not changing the lineups and finding anything that worked. Aside from Bagley being frozen out of the 4th quarter, I believe there were 3 DNPs?

Surely we can do better than childish names, right? That's so 2020.

I didn't want Joerger gone, but he clearly coached his way out. He drew a line in the sand and management decided to go the other direction. Like others, I was willing to give Luke the benefit of doubt even though I didn't think he was an upgrade. My gut says Gentry takes over by the break, regardless of record. How else do you sell him on taking a position below someone with a weaker profile? That said, it's also believable that Walton is being surrounded by skilled coaches in an effort to improve his acumen for a long term stay. My point is that some of us are willing to look forward instead of harping on the past, because there's really no value in it.
Joerger DID coach his way out (hoping for the Minnesota job - Saunders was only "interim" at the time)

In doing so (remember the last game in Portland where he pulled his starters?), he may have guaranteed himself a career losing record as a head coach.

Just went back to the boxscore of that game and Bagley had a nice game, 20/9 on 8/15 (2/5 from the three point line).

But Vlade really wanted "40" wins - 40 seems SO much better than 39, in the way that people buy something for 99 cents that they would not pay a dollar for.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLAB

Hall of Famer
There was zero mistake firing Joerger. He wasn’t good before PACE then after his one half-season of magical .500 ball the league figured out how to play and they were the same lame-*** Kings of old. His style was completely unsustainable.

The only coach to cry about losing is Malone.