Mr. Holmes

There is one player on the Kings that brings it every game. He has infectious enthusiasm and intensity. He has expanded his shooting range while maintaining a very high percentage. He is a good rebounder and a skilled defender. His only real weakness is fouling people. We are talking of course about Mista Holmes. If you want to look for problems with this team, look somewhere else.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I’ll give him credit for finally being “back” after his injury.

Up until these last few games he looked like he never fully got over it, and straight up wasn’t very good. Still think Whiteside needs more of his minutes though.

kb02

All-Star
There is one player on the Kings that brings it every game. He has infectious enthusiasm and intensity. He has expanded his shooting range while maintaining a very high percentage. He is a good rebounder and a skilled defender. His only real weakness is fouling people. We are talking of course about Mista Holmes. If you want to look for problems with this team, look somewhere else.
No issues with his motor nor his production. But as constructed, I think there are much better fits than Holmes. Horford would put up much better numbers in the Holmes role, for example. Wiseman would be a beast in that role as well.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No issues with his motor nor his production. But as constructed, I think there are much better fits than Holmes. Horford would put up much better numbers in the Holmes role, for example. Wiseman would be a beast in that role as well.
I don't think we'll be in the position to draft him since we probably aren't going to be bad bad and even if we were there are probably other prospects better suited for our pick than a big man but Evan Mobley would be a nice fit next to our guards. Looking even further ahead, the potential 2022 double draft is looking more and more like the year where the NBA reloads its big man talent with guys like Chet Holmgren, Victor Wembanyama, Jabari Smith Jr. (yes, that Jabari Smith's son), Yannick Nzosa, etc. but if we're picking that high then, either things have gone horribly wrong or McNair somehow fleeced a team in a trade.

Until then, I guess Holmes (and probably Bagley) and his hustle are the best bet we have.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Holmes. He's making 5 million this year and on his production I would say that's one of the most valuable contracts in the league. It's not his fault that no one on the team can beat him for the starting job.

The last thing the Kings want to do is make the same mistake in going for a big man in the lottery. You look for Haliburton type players and then find your big men late in the draft or in free agency. Why blow a lottery pick on a big man when they can be had for pennies on the dollar on the market? Makes zero sense.

We've had multiple people on this forum talk about picking up guys like Christian Wood and Chris Boucher in the past but it seems like the team is always looking for high lottery or "old reliable" for bigs in free agency when there are players who are showing huge signs of breaking out that could have been had.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Holmes. He's making 5 million this year and on his production I would say that's one of the most valuable contracts in the league. It's not his fault that no one on the team can beat him for the starting job.

The last thing the Kings want to do is make the same mistake in going for a big man in the lottery. You look for Haliburton type players and then find your big men late in the draft or in free agency. Why blow a lottery pick on a big man when they can be had for pennies on the dollar on the market? Makes zero sense.

We've had multiple people on this forum talk about picking up guys like Christian Wood and Chris Boucher in the past but it seems like the team is always looking for high lottery or "old reliable" for bigs in free agency when there are players who are showing huge signs of breaking out that could have been had.
Because they’re really really freaking good.

Because they’re really really freaking good.
Are they? 2016-2019 here are the big men picked in the top 10. It's just not a good move in this day and age.

Dragan Bender
Jakob Poeltl
Thon Maker
Lauri Markkanen
Zach Collins
Deandre Ayton
Marvin Bagley
Jaren Jackson Jr
Mo Bamba
Wendell Carter
Jaxon Hayes

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Are they? 2016-2019 here are the big men picked in the top 10. It's just not a good move in this day and age.

Dragan Bender
Jakob Poeltl
Thon Maker
Lauri Markkanen
Zach Collins
Deandre Ayton
Marvin Bagley
Jaren Jackson Jr
Mo Bamba
Wendell Carter
Jaxon Hayes
Some of the guys coming into the league over the next couple of years are probably already better than most of these dudes. Mobley looks really good. If he can fill out, Chet is probably a star. Wenbamyama, from what I’ve seen of him, is ridiculous. Yannick is a defensive stud. Jabari looks good as well.
You know that draft where KAT and Zinger went 1 and 3? 2022 is gonna be like that but with Emoni Bates added in.

Except they don't play for us. Neither does LeBron. There are lots of guys we can wish we had on the roster.