[Game] Kings @ Rockets, 12/31/2020 4PM PST, 7PM EST

Why is James Harden good?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just rewatched the last 5 minutes. Here is the breakdown

-Fox drives to the basket and gets fouled but its not called
-Harden drives to the basket and gets fouled and its called
-Fox takes a short shot near the rim and a foul is called. Replay showed it was either not a foul or a ticky tack foul at best
-Harden gets the ball after a turnover by Holmes. Buddy sticks his leg out into Harden on the drive. Foul is called. It's close but id say correct call
-Harden gets trapped near the sideline. Fox tries to strip the ball but hits Harden's arm. Foul is called. Correct call
-Harden is fouled intentionally.

Harden went to the free throw line 4 times in the last 5 minutes. One call was probably not correct or ticky tack at best, 3 calls were correct and one was intentional.
John Wall had no free throw trips in the last 5 minutes.

The bottom line is the Kings missed 4 or 5 big shots in that time frame and had the really costly turnover by holmes after the defensive rebound.
There were two travelling calls not called on Harden.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Was the one play where Harden shoved off Harrison Barnes 3 or 4 separate times on the same dribble drive attempt before missing the layup and grabbing his own offensive rebound in the last 5 minutes?

Most mocks had him at that spot or around it all year. Don't act like he was a reach, he wasn't. Number 2 was pretty clearly he or Luka as a consensus.
We had people here including myself that wrote a big piece on why he would be a horrible selection at 2 right before the draft.

Was the one play where Harden shoved off Harrison Barnes 3 or 4 separate times on the same dribble drive attempt before missing the layup and grabbing his own offensive rebound in the last 5 minutes?
I found the play you are referring to with 3:26 left on the clock. I watched it in slow motion and you could make a good case that Harden pushed off and might have even hooked Harrison as he was passing by. Probably should have been called an offensive foul. It seems like the benefit of the doubt is almost always going to go to the aggressive offensive player right or not.

It's interesting to go back and watch all the opportunities we had to put the game away. At the 6 minute mark, right after we took a 7 point lead on a Barnes drive, Harden missed a three. the ball bounces right back to him on the 3 point line for an easy offensive rebound. He takes another 3 and misses only to have PJ Tucker grab the second offensive rebound on the same possession. We really had some good chances to win but sometimes that's how the game goes.

Bagley is a liability on the offensive end. Aside from the inconsistent jumpers and put backs, he cannot even create anything for himself on the post. He will force the issue and dribble without a purpose then hoist a contested shot or turn over the ball. He should try to learn from Barnes, who makes simple yet efficient post up moves.

A fun drinking game would be to take a swig (of beer) whenever Bags makes the wrong play. Even though it's beer, think we'd all be drunk af by the end of the game.

Hines really needs to watch film with him. The game needs to slow down for him. Three years and counting...

I think the coaching for this game was pretty good from the Kings. We didn't have any obvious advantages at any position, but the Rockets never ran away with it.

Also, it didn't seem like people got benched for mistakes, corrections were made on the go.

This came down to some execution problems, not tactical problems.

Bagley is a liability on the offensive end. Aside from the inconsistent jumpers and put backs, he cannot even create anything for himself on the post. He will force the issue and dribble without a purpose then hoist a contested shot or turn over the ball. He should try to learn from Barnes, who makes simple yet efficient post up moves.
You can't start a player who is a liability on both ends, because he is on defense every single night. I would start Bjelica, he's a defensive liability too, but at least he'll stretch the floor and make good decisions. That or start Haliburton. Fox, Haliburton, Buddy, Barnes, Holmes seems to be far and away our best five. Have Bagley play the backup five and stagger Fox and Haliburton so ones on the floor at all times.

I think the coaching for this game was pretty good from the Kings. We didn't have any obvious advantages at any position, but the Rockets never ran away with it.

Also, it didn't seem like people got benched for mistakes, corrections were made on the go.

This came down to some execution problems, not tactical problems.
The only coaching problem I saw was not going to the well enough on 2 plays. The ty/holmes pick and pop play that was automatic against Denver wasn’t used enough. I think I saw it twice with Holmes making it once and ty keeping it once but missing. Also switching harden onto hb down on the block. Barnes is way better than bagley posting up harden and drew a foul when it happened. It was early on so I thought since harden was having a bad game early on, get him in foul trouble cuz he will heat up sooner or later. Well he heated up and we couldn’t stop him (and the refs)

Last edited:
Same all, same all. You trow tocks on Vlade, but point is we had 20 games like this in last year, only now we won to like that and last year we lost 15. This is just Vlade theam from last year, and this is all his credit. This team is good and will be good in years to come but guys have a little patence and dont blame coach, players, and stuff just relax and enjoy Kings.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Same all, same all. You trow tocks on Vlade, but point is we had 20 games like this in last year, only now we won to like that and last year we lost 15. This is just Vlade theam from last year, and this is all his credit. This team is good and will be good in years to come but guys have a little patence and dont blame coach, players, and stuff just relax and enjoy Kings.
I don’t think talking about Bagley’s struggles in this game counts as throwing rocks on Vlade in that same way as praising Tyrese Haliburton doesn’t amount to a full on endorsement of every aspect of Monte’s regime.

Meh. Can't get too down about these loses. This team is going to lose a lot of games.

Way more positives than negs so far. Don't know how long it will last but I'm pleasently surprised.

The general flow of the games this season has been some variation of hot start -> other team adjusts -> big lineup falters horribly -> Luke plays CoJo for some reason -> Luke accidentally stumbles into a small ball lineup that saves the game.
I just don't get it myself. Obviously Luke trusts the small ball lineup at the end of games to close games out but he seems to avoid it until it's absolutely necessary. If he would just play that lineup big minutes throughout the game, they'd probably be up 10 by the end of the game. Surely McNair has shown him the analytics with Barnes at the 4, right?

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Blaming in the refs is for losers.
Find a different excuse, like failure to execute the offense in the last couple of minutes. Turn overs. Defensive lapses. Harden.
I’m usually with you. I found it hilarious against the Nuggets when everyone was up in arms, but it turned out the Kings got better calls in the 2 minute report. But Harden makes it hard. He plays by a different rule book.

You can't start a player who is a liability on both ends, because he is on defense every single night. I would start Bjelica, he's a defensive liability too, but at least he'll stretch the floor and make good decisions. That or start Haliburton. Fox, Haliburton, Buddy, Barnes, Holmes seems to be far and away our best five. Have Bagley play the backup five and stagger Fox and Haliburton so ones on the floor at all times.
I think that lineup is the way to go. Halliburton is long enough that he can probably guard 3s. Just whatever it takes to get Bagley out of the starting lineup. He kills so many possessions.

Blaming in the refs is for losers.
Find a different excuse, like failure to execute the offense in the last couple of minutes. Turn overs. Defensive lapses. Harden.
I guess technically you’re right. Winners have no reasons to blame refs cuz they won. Like “stupid ref, you missed me fouling him so many times, now we got a win on your horrible calls”

This thread has the vibe of a team that just got blown out by the Washington Generals rather than losing by 1 or 2 missed shots/bad plays against a team with a perennial MVP candidate that’s been in the WCF multiple times in recent years.

The Kings might not be the Kangz anymore, but KingsFans definitely trying to be KangzFans. I love you guys.

This thread has the vibe of a team that just got blown out by the Washington Generals rather than losing by 1 or 2 missed shots/bad plays against a team with a perennial MVP candidate that’s been in the WCF multiple times in recent years.

The Kings might not be the Kangz anymore, but KingsFans definitely trying to be KangzFans. I love you guys.

Fans are required to habitually complain about any and all team players, coaches, other fans, referees, ticket scalpers, oppposing superstars, former players, concessioneers, forum members, mascots and ownership groups. It’s right there in the manual.

And the defense without him as that liability is what so far? Again, you win with talent these days not gimmicky defensive schemes unless that defense is yielding results that are basically a 180 from what they are seeing now. Once they get an identity then they can start nitpicking the defense. Starting Bjelica over Bagley right now isn't the right move if they are thinking long term about their assets.

I don't think the starting unit is the issue necessarily it's the reluctance to use that small lineup you mention in almost any other situation other than when he has to and by the time the game is turning downhill. Bagley played in place of Holmes in that unit against the Suns and he looked like he fit as well.

Fans are required to habitually complain about any and all team players, coaches, other fans, referees, ticket scalpers, oppposing superstars, former players, concessioneers, forum members, mascots and ownership groups. It’s right there in the manual.
And when a freaking message board has a better track record of making calls on roster moves, signings, draft picks, and rotations something is really wrong, lol.

I just don't get it myself. Obviously Luke trusts the small ball lineup at the end of games to close games out but he seems to avoid it until it's absolutely necessary. If he would just play that lineup big minutes throughout the game, they'd probably be up 10 by the end of the game. Surely McNair has shown him the analytics with Barnes at the 4, right?
And if not at least find out it is a legit thing or not. For the start of this year and all of last year he's been searching for every way not to commit to it. Is Monte watching this? This isn't the pace, switching team he described at all. This is a pounding physical defensive chaos team that consistently plays a 3 PG rotation at the 1-3 and lineups that are either super athletic in the frontcourt (Bagley-Holmes) or not athletic at all (Bjelica-Whiteside). Luke has coached this team feast or famine style since day 1 and that's exactly what he's getting on both ends. The only saving grace for him is that he's the first coach in a while to run this amount of pick and roll. The problem there is when something works, he goes away from it for a few plays.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Let’s see, 2 games ago Bagley plays well displaying some of the things people want to see, hitting 3 point shots, running the floor and scoring, rebounding And actually being the catalyst in us getting the lead in the 2nd quarter....some said it’s his best stint ever as a King.

Now 1 game later after not playing well, he’s a bust, can’t play either side of the floor, etc

Kings fans are going to fan, LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.