[Game] Kings @ Rockets, 12/31/2020 4PM PST, 7PM EST

Why is James Harden good?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Small ballers couldn't bail Walton out again but they did a darn good job again of almost getting it done. From here on there is no excuse. Defense? What freaking defense? Fox, Haliburton, Buddy, Barnes, and Bagley. Ride it or die. The small ball teams aren't going to play around with Walton after half time.
To be fair, some variation of that small ball lineup is probably also our best defensive lineup so there is really no reason not to do it

Props to Luke for showing Bagley the bench this one. Very much deserved. Love that Hali’s a closer. I hate James Harden.
Bagley needs to become a guy who won't hurt the team by forcing it when he's out of sorts like he was tonight. Didn't love seeing him wave off Buddy like he did. He did hit the boards and show solid effort defensively. That's good. If for no other reason, w/Luke showing little faith in Whiteside, we need Bags to prove himself solid and playable into the 4th. Richaun stepping up nicely, but he can't carry 36 min every night.

Last edited:
His threes coming off screens have not fallen all season. His balance just looks off on those shots.
They are unnecessary, predictable, and this late in a game even tougher than normal. They are still far from getting easy shots. They are pounding way too hard on both ends to be marginal this early in the season. This is why a Mike D'antoni system would be perfect for this crew. Finesse, not the brutishness we're seeing. Fox has really worked on his body but look at him compared to Wall, Gordon, and Harden. They are going to win the battle of brutes every time. However, good luck keeping Fox in front of you. That's why the high middle pick and roll is so effective. Both Bagley and Holmes are thin, athletic bigs that can move with or without the ball when they catch it. Fox and Haliburton combined with them is one that is better at finding gaps than contact.

Buddy Hield always pissed me off with stupid plays during fastbreak resulting in turnovers. He would jump in the air and then pass the ball and got intercepted. How many freaking times have we seen that....? I mean the ONLY reason he got minutes is because of his shooting touches.....otherwise he has no business of being on the court, really. Defense is what get you minute and that's why Bagley ain't playing in the 4th because Holmes is quicker at defending pick n roll since he has quicker feet.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Bagley needs to become a guy who won't hurt the team by forcing it when he's out of sorts like he was tonight. Didn't love seeing his waves off Buddy like he did earlier.
That play pissed me off. He just came off a possession where he couldn’t even post up JAMES HARDEN and he has the gall to yell at a teammate to clear out for another post-up which was an immediate turnover. Smh

Buddy Hield always pissed me off with stupid plays during fastbreak resulting in turnovers. He would jump in the air and then pass the ball and got intercepted. How many freaking times have we seen that....? I mean the ONLY reason he got minutes is because of his shooting touches.....otherwise he has no business of being on the court, really. Defense is what get you minute and that's why Bagley ain't playing in the 4th because Holmes is quicker at defending pick n roll since he has quicker feet.
Have you watched Buddy play at all this season?

Also, Bagley ain't playing in the 4th cos that blackhole was sitting on 1-9 shooting with 3 TOs in 25 min...

That play pissed me off. He just came off a possession where he couldn’t even post up JAMES HARDEN and he has the gall to yell at a teammate to clear out for another post-up which was an immediate turnover. Smh
Yep. Warn't right. Shouldn't show up a teammate like that under any circumstances, but HE def hasn't earned that right. And fair to say he was *not* good tonight.

Last edited:
Loss sucked especially a few calls down the stretch (thinking of the Harden out of bounds but got breathed on and one of his whiplash from nothing moves for FTs a few sets before) and some poor shot selection (as it is always) as we watched the lead fade away.

Honestly is it even worth it? Bagley isn't bringing anything to the table that Holmes doesn't, unless you count killing all ball movement. It's not even a matter of spacing if the guy never passes the ball. Back down back down back down, three defenders collapse he chucks up a shot, gets the rebound, chucks it up again.
It doesn't matter if it's worth it, it's common sense. Bagley off the dribble in the triple threat was the reason he was 2nd pick. Holmes has good touch on push shot but Bagley has a much bigger bag of tricks pun intended. They rode him in the post tonight. Literally. Along with Barnes. We saw that to failure for 2 season already. Gee, maybe the usage is off? You don't really want Bagley or Buddy looking to make plays, they should be FINISHING THEM. Buddy SPOTTED up. Bagley catching off pick and rolls or pick and pops.

It doesn't matter if it's worth it, it's common sense. Bagley off the dribble in the triple threat was the reason he was 2nd pick. Holmes has good touch on push shot but Bagley has a much bigger bag of tricks pun intended. They rode him in the post tonight. Literally. Along with Barnes. We saw that to failure for 2 season already. Gee, maybe the usage is off? You don't really want Bagley or Buddy looking to make plays, they should be FINISHING THEM. Buddy SPOTTED up. Bagley catching off pick and rolls or pick and pops.
No, Vlade was the reason Bagley was the 2nd pick.

Edit: There also isn't a triple threat when a guy won't pass and can't shoot.

Last edited:
What concerns me is its year three for Bagley and he's still making dumb rookie mistakes. Compare that against the true rookie, who just played his 5th game, and is looking like a 30 year pro.

Have you watched Buddy play at all this season?

Also, Bagley ain't playing in the 4th cos that blackhole was sitting on 1-9 shooting with 3 TOs in 25 min...
I did, I watched all Kings games. Buddy still make similar dumb passes and turnover. There are certain players in the league that have low IQ, I think Buddy Hield fit in that category. Smart players they make smart passes....either by faking it or get to position where only your teammate can catch it. Every time I see Buddy Hield with the ball running up the court doing a fastbreak, i cringed my teeth.

Buddy Hield is the kind of player that help you but then come back and haunt you. Just look at his +/- in this game, he's the worst on the entire team. If the team want to get better, they need to address that issue and it start with Buddy Hield.

Last edited:
What concerns me is its year three for Bagley and he's still making dumb rookie mistakes. Compare that against the true rookie, who just played his 5th game, and is looking like a 30 year pro.
Not just dumb rookie mistakes, but a rookie with low low low iq. It's unfathomable for someone who's been around basketball his whole life.

Bagley needs to become a guy who won't hurt the team by forcing it when he's out of sorts like he was tonight. Didn't love seeing his waves off Buddy like he did earlier. He did hit the boards and show effort defensively, though. That's good. If for no other reason, w/Luke showing little faith in Whiteside, we need Bags to prove himself solid and playable into the 4th. Richaun stepping up nicely, but he won't be pulling 36 main every night.
You need a coach to put players in the best position to succeed, we aren't seeing that for 48 minutes a game. We're seeing the smaller teams fiddle for a half then pick their poison after half and pick right until a double digit lead or near so forces Waltons hand to do the only thing that resembles what Monte described prior to the season. Joerger did the same thing early when he had his "record" season. Unsustainable effort covering up a faulty gameplan. The problem is at least he had more of a pound it physical team with Cuz at the helm. Outside of Buddy and Barnes this teams talent consists of something completely counter to that both in terms of athletic ability and physical strength.

No, Vlade was the reason Bagley was the 2nd pick.

Edit: There also isn't a triple threat when a guy won't pass and can't shoot.
Most mocks had him at that spot or around it all year. Don't act like he was a reach, he wasn't. Number 2 was pretty clearly he or Luka as a consensus.

You need a coach to put players in the best position to succeed, we aren't seeing that for 48 minutes a game. We're seeing the smaller teams fiddle for a half then pick their poison after half and pick right until a double digit lead or near so forces Waltons hand to do the only thing that resembles what Monte described prior to the season. Joerger did the same thing early when he had his "record" season. Unsustainable effort covering up a faulty gameplan. The problem is at least he had more of a pound it physical team with Cuz at the helm. Outside of Buddy and Barnes this teams talent consists of something completely counter to that both in terms of athletic ability and physical strength.
Cuz had been off the team for two years in the "record" season...

Well, I like what I see from the team. They look like a good team even with this loss.

If we got the average K9 double double game from Bagley and the Kings would’ve won comfortably but that was probably the worst he’s looked as a pro that doesn’t count those 3 quick fouls and out games as a rookie.

That Eric Gordon sequence where Gordon knocked him out of the way on the drive and then when Bagley tried to get his revenge and was promptly stripped of the ball, it was too embarrassing even for Walton to let it continue. Hopefully this one lights a fire under him. He had played well in the other games but tonight was bad,

But it’s not all on Bagley...I thought Fox had poor shot selection when the Kings had that working 5-7 point margin in the 4th. He jacked up a couple of threes, one that was especially ill advised on fast break and the Rockets were able to chip away. Kings should’ve been looking to use clock and get shots at the basket.

Then it comes down to who gets calls and who doesn’t. Harden gets the calls.

Buddy of course missed all his big shots too,

For the positives

Richaun Holmes had a great game. I think it’s clear last season was not a fluke. Fact is, His little push shot is the most automatic shot on the Kings by a wide margin and our guards know where to find him in the right spot. I don’t think he’ll be leaving the starting lineup,

Harrison Barnes continues his more aggressive play going to the hoop and getting rebounds. Kings are a different team with Barnes in this mode. He’s rebounded well in all the games.

Haliburton and Joseph played very well defensively in the 4th helping the Kings build that lead. Both were getting their hands in the passing lanes.

Tyrese especially bounced back from a bad first half and then once again got me all giddy. I just don’t see how he doesn’t become a star. Well, a couple more spills like the one he had tonight might change the trajectory but I think tonight was his “Welcome to the NBA” moment he claimed he hadnt experienced yet.

The team overall looks good...though I’m worried we might be moving towards wasting Whiteside.

Well, I like what I see from the team. They look like a good team even with this loss.

If we got the average K9 double double game from Bagley and the Kings would’ve won comfortably but that was probably the worst he’s looked as a pro that doesn’t count those 3 quick fouls and out games as a rookie.

That Eric Gordon sequence where Gordon knocked him out of the way on the drive and then when Bagley tried to get his revenge and was promptly stripped of the ball, it was too embarrassing even for Walton to let it continue. Hopefully this one lights a fire under him. He had played well in the other games but tonight was bad,

But it’s not all on Bagley...I thought Fox had poor shot selection when the Kings had that working 5-7 point margin in the 4th. He jacked up a couple of threes, one that was especially ill advised on fast break and the Rockets were able to chip away. Kings should’ve been looking to use clock and get shots at the basket.

Then it comes down to who gets calls and who doesn’t. Harden gets the calls.

Buddy of course missed all his big shots too,

For the positives

Richaun Holmes had a great game. I think it’s clear last season was not a fluke. Fact is, His little push shot is the most automatic shot on the Kings by a wide margin and our guards know where to find him in the right spot. I don’t think he’ll be leaving the starting lineup,

Harrison Barnes continues his more aggressive play going to the hoop and getting rebounds. Kings are a different team with Barnes in this mode. He’s rebounded well in all the games.

Haliburton and Joseph played very well defensively in the 4th helping the Kings build that lead. Both were getting their hands in the passing lanes.

Tyrese especially bounced back from a bad first half and then once again got me all giddy. I just don’t see how he doesn’t become a star. Well, a couple more spills like the one he had tonight might change the trajectory but I think tonight was his “Welcome to the NBA” moment he claimed he anpphad t experienced yet.

The team overall looks good...though I’m worried we might be moving towards wasting Whiteside.
Yup good points, Fox 1-7 from 3 ain't gonna cut it too.

(If it seems that I'm picking on guys right now it's because they actually played an overall decent game and I'm annoyed that we lost)

Well, in fairness he did basically miss a season but what mistake in particular is he repeating? There are mistakes but per usual, what part of this isn't looking like spacing issues and the inability to matchup against the now normal small ball teams? Bagley isn't a 4 in the modern game. Against most small teams he might be able to pound them but honestly Walton is the only coach who is going to run 3 PG's out there with 2 bigs who can't shoot very well. Legit. There are some advantages to it but the adjustment always seems to come and then it comes down to balls to the wall last minute live and die with every shot. They can't rely on that every game and just like before it will fall apart at some point or with the types of players he got injuries will pile up. 200 pounds of Fox and 180 pounds of Haliburton isn't a smash through brick walls combo. Fox is much better with contact with his added size but even that's with space to maneuver.

Well, in fairness he did basically miss a season but what mistake in particular is he repeating? There are mistakes but per usual, what part of this isn't looking like spacing issues and the inability to matchup against the now normal small ball teams?
Brings ball down low. Dribbles unnecessarily. The clear out so he could cough up the ball. Trying to bring the ball up even though he has no vision and getting picked clean. Not looking for cutters. Not setting a screen, then slipping into traffic where people can't even pass to him and he's getting covered by someone else's man. Were you not watching this game?

Not just dumb rookie mistakes, but a rookie with low low low iq. It's unfathomable for someone who's been around basketball his whole life.
I don't think IQ is what got him to where he was when he was drafted. His athletic prowess and triple threat moves did. Athleticism can cover up a lot if used right.

Brings ball down low. Dribbles unnecessarily. The clear out so he could cough up the ball. Trying to bring the ball up even though he has no vision and getting picked clean. Not looking for cutters. Not setting a screen, then slipping into traffic where people can't even pass to him and he's getting covered by someone else's man. Were you not watching this game?
Brings the ball down low. Where is the coach in all of this? He's going to let Barnes and Bagley freelance into the post at will all night? I don't know what's scarier for this teams future then, that he let it happen or that he liked what he saw. Walton lets his players play which is good but at some point, you have to call for high middle pick and roll until it hurts your eyes. Running offense through Bagley and Holmes in the horns is part of a much, much bigger issue that while it isn't as pronounced as last year, still exists for some reason. Bagley and Buddy making plays isn't what you should be looking for. They should be finishing them. Play small, clear the paint, bring the big up, draw and kick, drive and dish, find your spotters. This is what the game is now. That's it. George Karl was stubborn at the time and probably a few years too early but he was right in the end.

Brings the ball down low. Where is the coach in all of this? He's going to let Barnes and Bagley freelance into the post at will all night? I don't know what's scarier for this teams future then, that he let it happen or that he liked what he saw. Walton lets his players play which is good but at some point, you have to call for high middle pick and roll until it hurts your eyes. Running offense through Bagley and Holmes in the horns is part of a much, much bigger issue that while it isn't has pronounced as last year, still exists for some reason. Bagley and Buddy making plays isn't what you should be looking for. They should be finishing them. Play small, clear the paint, bring the big up, draw and kick, drive and dish, find your spotters. This is what the game is now. That's it. George Karl was stubborn at the time and probably a few years too early but he was right in the end.
Sorry, I mean he himself takes the ball and holds it low in height so he can get stripped by stronger people. You know, everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.