New Coach Rex Kalamian

Last night we got some insight in to the coaching style of our new assistant coach Rex Kalamian.
He focuses a lot on defense. The NBA seems to be a sport with lot of runs and changes in momentum.
The defensive scheme changes can disrupt an opponents run. Last night in Suns #2, we saw a trap, half court press, match up zone, and some other styles of defense.
More of this please.
Welcome Coach Rex.

I wish we were a deeper team to be able to implement this tactic better. One thing is for sure they are busting their butt on defense and that's great but their legs were tired yesterday on the b2b.
being a pro is hard. They gotta do what they gotta do to win

I want to see more of Whiteside. I am partial to him though because when we were both in Miami we attended the same function on a number of occasions. He's a really nice guy.

Whiteside is a big man with a small motor. He takes plays off. He seems to be best in short trips on the floor.
He can disrupt an opponent on a run. He can take over games for short periods of time.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Whiteside is a big man with a small motor. He takes plays off. He seems to be best in short trips on the floor.
He can disrupt an opponent on a run. He can take over games for short periods of time.
It seems his reputation has encouraged these spicy lazy/takes time off takes. I don’t see it this season. Yet.

I see a very slow player who easily gets lost. And even with that, he’s the only player on the roster who bothers to defend the paint. I want long bursts. All the minutes.... well maybe not all the minutes, but a helluva lot more than getting out in every third game.

It seems his reputation has encouraged these spicy lazy/takes time off takes. I don’t see it this season. Yet.

I see a very slow player who easily gets lost. And even with that, he’s the only player on the roster who bothers to defend the paint. I want long bursts. All the minutes.... well maybe not all the minutes, but a helluva lot more than getting out in every third game.
It certainly feels like the defense is drastically better when he's on the floor. However, it was interesting to see that his offensive rating (104) and defensive rating (113) so far this year look much different than the rest of his career. I'm going to chalk that up to the short stints he's getting on the court, but he does seem much slower and looking more of an unathletic oaf than I remember him being in prior years. Wondering if it's our defensive system or maybe age is starting to catch up with him.

Coach Rex may be the key to the Kings this season.
He either figures out a scheme or two that can work on defense or the Kings continue to wallow in obscurity with a defense at the bottom of the league.

Coach Rex may be the key to the Kings this season.
He either figures out a scheme or two that can work on defense or the Kings continue to wallow in obscurity with a defense at the bottom of the league.
I don't know if he is good, bad or just horrible. I also don't remember/know what input Walton had on his hire.

I also don't know if he is in a no win position. How do you find a scheme to work if you don’t know the lineups? I am assuming he doesn't have much if any input into lineups. Big assumption I know. I would think the personnel on the floor would influence what defense you would play. Seems night and day compared to the beginning of the season.

Do we have any info on their hiring? (Rex and Alvin) Are they both Luke's guys or was it something McNair had something to do with? Just wondering if they are part of the future, unlike Luke...

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Do we have any info on their hiring? (Rex and Alvin) Are they both Luke's guys or was it something McNair had something to do with? Just wondering if they are part of the future, unlike Luke...
I think they’re McNair guys. I remember the “Uh oh, here we go again” posts when they were brought on.

When Walton was brought on one of the biggest if not the biggest concern was his lousy track record with assistant hires. I'm 99.9% sure Rex and Alvin were brought on by McNair.