what was the last movie you watched?

I had an eye exam the other day so put my contacts so figured I may as well watch a 3D film if I was gonna burn a pair of dailies... Watched Comin' At Ya! (1981 3d Western). Uh, so yeah, truly terrible movie with non-stop pop out gag effects. Like entire scenes devoted just to sticking stuff in your face. It was pretty cool but stupid, and also why that era of 3D was known for it's headache inducing effects. I really wish they would release Friday the 13th 3D in this format so I could see that finally, I think I have now seen all of the bad 80s 3D revival movies and tbh, most are a lot more fun than the revival of the 00s even though they are terrible films.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Ok, I'd never seen The Shining. It came up on Dish so I recorded it and started it the other day.

I got halfway through and was bored out of my gourd. The acting wasn't...the best...either. Stopped it and deleted it. It wasn't my kind of movie and just was dragging on. I think there are some movies you have to watch around when they were released to get the full effect. Anyways, it just wasn't my thing.

Ok, I'd never seen The Shining. It came up on Dish so I recorded it and started it the other day.

I got halfway through and was bored out of my gourd. The acting wasn't...the best...either. Stopped it and deleted it. It wasn't my kind of movie and just was dragging on. I think there are some movies you have to watch around when they were released to get the full effect. Anyways, it just wasn't my thing.
:eek:

If you haven’t seen the sequel Dr Sleep, it is good

Wife and I watched Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom on Netflix last night. We both enjoyed it. I wouldn’t consider it great but was good. On the other hand, Chadwick Boseman’s last role and he was outstanding as Viola Davis. Knowing what we know in regards to CB, it made me sad.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
If you haven’t seen the sequel Dr Sleep, it is good
Horror flicks aren't my thing. I wanted to give The Shining a try "just because", but it wasn't really holding my interest. By the time Jack sees the bartender halfway through the film, I was just finishing up a session on the elliptical and asking myself why I was still watching it. Still had 1 1/2 hours to go on the DVR and I just didn't really care. Who knows, maybe I stopped right when things were getting good but 1 1/2 hours in it sure didn't make me want to invest another 1 1/2 into it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Which version did you watch?

Greenland wasn’t bad. I’m a sucker for apocalyptic movies, but this one has a bit more of a bite to it vs some like 2012, San Andreas etc. the director was the same guy who did Shotcaller, which I found to be a very underrated movie

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
:eek::eek:

movie scares the crap out of me to this day lol
I probably bailed a bit early then, but other than a few quick shots of the murdered girls on the floor, the first half (1 1/2 of 3 hours per my DVR) was pretty darn slow. I mean, really slow. They could have cut out 30-45 minutes of what I watched and not lost anything story-wise.

And at that point I really didn't care to put in another couple of elliptical sessions watching the rest of it based on the first half.

I probably bailed a bit early then, but other than a few quick shots of the murdered girls on the floor, the first half (1 1/2 of 3 hours per my DVR) was pretty darn slow. I mean, really slow. They could have cut out 30-45 minutes of what I watched and not lost anything story-wise.

And at that point I really didn't care to put in another couple of elliptical sessions watching the rest of it based on the first half.
I know what you mean about the extra time not needing to be there . I’m not a huge Kubrick fan and feel he does that too much with his movies.

You may like the sequel Dr Sleep. There’s some good character arc going on and personally, I thought superior to The Shining. Stephen King was not crazy about Kubrick version of Shining. He said Kubrick went straight to crazy on the Nicholson character instead of building character.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
You may like the sequel Dr Sleep. There’s some good character arc going on and personally, I thought superior to The Shining. Stephen King was not crazy about Kubrick version of Shining. He said Kubrick went straight to crazy on the Nicholson character instead of building character.
Horror movies aren’t my bag. I was making an exception for The Shining. But thanks!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Wonder Woman 1984 was good but not great like the first one.

Soul is one of the most artistically beautiful animated films ever. Storywise, I sorta worked out its main beats within the first ten or so minutes but it was still the emotional ride that you’ve come to expect from non-franchise Pixar. Also there is a Knicks joke in there that would work just as well as a Kings joke.

The 3 big movies that came out this week, I liked in this order

The Midnight Sky....enjoyed a lot. Clooney was great. Great visuals.
Soul.....was deep. Good watch
WW84.....was Ok for me

Last ones I watched was The Old Guard and The Midnight Sky.

Kinda wished there was more character development in The Old Guard. It was very bits and pieces and tied together through one person.

I now just expect George Clooney to die in any space movie. The ending was weird that's all I say

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
WW84.....was Ok for me
Same here. Just didn't do as good a job as the first one. To a certain extent, it almost felt like a big budget made-for-TV movie instead of a sequel to a great flick. The action scenes and the plot were not quite up to what they should be in 2020 for a good superhero movie.

Same here. Just didn't do as good a job as the first one. To a certain extent, it almost felt like a big budget made-for-TV movie instead of a sequel to a great flick. The action scenes and the plot were not quite up to what they should be in 2020 for a good superhero movie.
Actually disappointing tbh

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Actually disappointing tbh
I was thinking of kicking down for the HBO 6-month package to catch this and some other films (Dune, Matrix 4, etc.), but frankly now am glad I didn't. A friend brought over his Roku and we watched this one (socially distanced, of course). I also think WB/HBO might be trying to pull a fast one on getting folks to sign up for 6 months when the other films don't show a release date. I bet they don't come out until July or later (after the promo period ends and you are paying for additional months).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Got talked into family time, and watched Soul last night, Thought that it was a good movie, until the last three minutes dropped it several notches, in my opinion:

Even though it would have been considered a "downer ending," the perfect ending of this movie, IMO, would have been Joe accepting his fate, and completing his journey to the Great Beyond. Terry's role was played for laughs, but the fact of the matter was, they were right: Joe cheated. He shouldn't have been allowed to go back.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I watched Tag with TJ the other night. I had seen it during the golden MoviePass age, and it's notable for TJ because his first grade teacher's brother was one of the real life taggers. It is an enjoyable film. What's great is that almost all the tag sequences in the movie were taken from their real life game.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
https://screenrant.com/shining-movie-stephen-king-remake-book-accurate-bad/

I loved the original but I'm a big Kubrik fan to begin with. The movie totally scared the crap out of me when I watched it during a snow storm the first year I lived up here and was caretaker for an old lodge - actually a bar/restaurant downstairs and living area upstairs. The only thing missing was the topiary garden.
I guess I just quit on it a bit early then, but I just wasn't feeling it at all after getting halfway through it and stopping for the day.

Greenland wasn’t bad. I’m a sucker for apocalyptic movies, but this one has a bit more of a bite to it vs some like 2012, San Andreas etc. the director was the same guy who did Shotcaller, which I found to be a very underrated movie
I’ll have to check that one out. Almost watched it the other day. I’m also a sucker for apocalyptic movies. Agreed that Shotcaller was a really solid movie that almost no one knows about.

I think I have to admit to myself that I hated WW84. Hard to believe the same people from the first were even involved.

Might bite the bullet and check out Greenland as well.