Rudy gobert signs super max, Whiteside was a steal

No matter what happens in the rest of the NBA, Whiteside on the minimum is a steal.

Flawed player, sure.

Minimum player? Absolutely not.
I just thought it was an interesting comparison that really highlights how much of a steal he was. Gobert and Whiteside had similar stats and Whiteside actually averaged more blocks while leading the league but only got the minimum. I was thinking his position had to do with it since no centers really got paid in the offseason but then Gobert gets this huge deal. I was pretty surprised he was signed for so much I was expecting a trade if Utah couldn't get him on a favorable deal.

No matter what happens in the rest of the NBA, Whiteside on the minimum is a steal.

Flawed player, sure.

Minimum player? Absolutely not.
Because of how the league is understanding what is efficent and what isnt, every year there is multiple quality big men available for minimum/very cheap. That itself is a good reason to never put too much recources on a big that isnt elite. Either get an elite guy or get a cheap guy like Holmes/Whiteside/Favors/Howard/Baynes ect and put your resources in something else. Traditional power forward position is vanishing, that means all of the traditional power forwards are getting put in the center group and that means the market is oversaturated with big men. Every single year productive players are left without reasonable contract offers so its a market inefficency that smart organisations will benefit from in a salary cap sport.