Forecasting Bagley

What is the most likely outcome for Marvin Bagley III?

• Total voters
Well said about the "lesser" stars. I think it's possible to build around guys like KAT, or a hypothetical productive Bagley, but the rest of the team has to be tailor made around them, which is constricting.

The same way AI took the 76ers to the finals, and IT had some success in Boston. But they were both really short runs in terms of winning.

As one of the guys, I hope for him to succeed. Just like I wanted Giles, both JJs, McLemore, Stauskus, WCS, Papagiannis, etc to succeed more than I wanted them to be replaced.
We all should. JJ might still find his niche in the league he has some tools, McLemore had every opportunity and just couldn't be consistent here. WCS simply doesn't have any dog in him.

Jason Jones @mr_jasonjones
The Kings have picked up the fourth-year option on Marvin Bagley III, according to league sources. Bagley, the second overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, will earn $11.3 million next season. He's looking to bounce back after being limited to 13 games last season due to injuries.

Jason Anderson @JandersonSacBee
Sources confirm the Sacramento Kings have picked up the fourth-year option on Marvin Bagley III, as reported by @Jason Jones. Bagley, the No. 2 pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, appeared in just 13 games last season.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Kings have picked up the fourth-year option on Marvin Bagley III, according to league sources. Bagley, the second overall pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, will earn $11.3 million next season. He's looking to bounce back after being limited to 13 games last season due to injuries.

Sources confirm the Sacramento Kings have picked up the fourth-year option on Marvin Bagley III, as reported by @Jason Jones. Bagley, the No. 2 pick in the 2018 NBA Draft, appeared in just 13 games last season.
This is my shocked face.

Saves me a response or two... filing under "no, duh".

I know he lost most of last season to a foot thing.... but did anyone officially come out and say what his deal was in the bubble? He had months and months to recover, and never played. Why is it such a mystery what his real injuries are?

Even when Bagley was 6th on my board pre draft, I had him as a guy that will probably average 20 points 10 rebounds if given enough playing time. The bigger question is how will he improve/develope those skills that will actually determine his impact on winning: 1) His defense, 2) His ability to spread the floor and 3) The ability to create for others or at least make the right pass quickly. If he doesnt improve all those things, he just wont be a good enough player to be a starter on a playoff team.

He needs to become even a silightly below average pick n roll defender. If he cant defend opposing wings/if he is more effective without playing with another big man, he will end up guarding big men and even in the regular season he will end up defending pick n roll/pop time and time again and he just needs to improve a lot in that area.

He also needs to improve his basic defending skills like his awareness. In order to be even a net neutral in defensive end you need to constantly be able to rotate correctly and quickly.

If he wants post touches, he needs to become a better passer from those situations. One on one post plays are quite ineffective in general so in order to increase the effectiveness of those situations he needs to be able to pass to open man if the defense rotates. Otherwise giving him the ball in the post will just be below average posession considering efficency.

Bagley will always suffer from Kings/"repected analysts" rating him way too high pre draft. That put the expectations way too high especially considering the players that was drafted after him. He has a really probable path to become an above average starter and even some chance of becoming a very valuable player on a good team. I dont know how much it actually matters but to me his off hand is a good indication on how much work he has put in. If he starts the season with similar ridiculous attemps at finishing with his left hand as he did before, I assume he hasnt work on his game enough. That might be a flawed thinking process but what he should've done during his injury/offseason is basically living in the film room improving his awarenes and in the gym working on his shot/off hand.

Even when Bagley was 6th on my board pre draft, I had him as a guy that will probably average 20 points 10 rebounds if given enough playing time. The bigger question is how will he improve/develope those skills that will actually determine his impact on winning: 1) His defense, 2) His ability to spread the floor and 3) The ability to create for others or at least make the right pass quickly. If he doesnt improve all those things, he just wont be a good enough player to be a starter on a playoff team.

He needs to become even a silightly below average pick n roll defender. If he cant defend opposing wings/if he is more effective without playing with another big man, he will end up guarding big men and even in the regular season he will end up defending pick n roll/pop time and time again and he just needs to improve a lot in that area.

He also needs to improve his basic defending skills like his awareness. In order to be even a net neutral in defensive end you need to constantly be able to rotate correctly and quickly.

If he wants post touches, he needs to become a better passer from those situations. One on one post plays are quite ineffective in general so in order to increase the effectiveness of those situations he needs to be able to pass to open man if the defense rotates. Otherwise giving him the ball in the post will just be below average posession considering efficency.

Bagley will always suffer from Kings/"repected analysts" rating him way too high pre draft. That put the expectations way too high especially considering the players that was drafted after him. He has a really probable path to become an above average starter and even some chance of becoming a very valuable player on a good team. I dont know how much it actually matters but to me his off hand is a good indication on how much work he has put in. If he starts the season with similar ridiculous attemps at finishing with his left hand as he did before, I assume he hasnt work on his game enough. That might be a flawed thinking process but what he should've done during his injury/offseason is basically living in the film room improving his awarenes and in the gym working on his shot/off hand.
I would happily take a full year of empty stats for the coming year.

At this point Marvin is one big question mark going into his third year.
Can he stay healthy?
Can he get stronger?
Can he learn to use the right hand?
Does he have the desire to play in the NBA?
Will he become a decent defender?
Or will he just try to get by with his athleticism?

Can he stay healthy?
Can he get stronger?
You forget one:
When will he drop some new music?

Can he stay healthy?
Can he get stronger?
Is that really a question? That's a new one to me.

Is that really a question? That's a new one to me.
Yeah, that one question's a bit off the wall - from an "old school" guy who probably suspects all young players of being less than committed to doing what it takes. But the other questions are good ones. Marvin worked on his upper body last year. But he'll still get bumped by the stronger players if he doesn't build up his leg strength.

Yeah, that one question's a bit off the wall - from an "old school" guy who probably suspects all young players of being less than committed to doing what it takes. But the other questions are good ones. Marvin worked on his upper body last year. But he'll still get bumped by the stronger players if he doesn't build up his leg strength.
Got it.

The health thing trumps all. If he stays healthy, the other things can come in time.