Sayonara Buddy...Looks like he wants out, Philly deal

The turnovers are there, the forced shots are there, but that's not why he moved to the bench.

The blown coverages, the lack of attention to detail, the low iq, not understanding where to be on defense, etc. are some of the reasons.

It doesn't matter who the coach is, they will call a time out and mad dog him every time he lets someone blow past him for a back door dunk.

Nevermind he talks smack, is unhappy, likes trades (and does other petty sh..)
Even with all that said (I disagree with none of it), he's still the 2nd best player on the team. That's how good his shooting is.

With Joerger, it was his defense that placed him on the bench. With Walton it was his slow start to the year on offense.

Isn’t oladipo an expiring and coming off injury? So it’s hield Holmes bjeli 2021 first rounder and second rounder. We’re helping them clear their log jam at center and we already cleared ours at sg. I might have done it when we still had bogi but wouldn’t unless dipo assured us he wouldn’t just bounce after next year. Let’s say holmes and bjeli cancel out oladipo’s expiring since they are too. It’s pretty much hield and the 2021 first and second for turner who they’re already looking to trade.

I can't with giving up next year's pick not to mention all the minimum deals we made, this team wasn't made to compete this year - maybe if it were a later year but if 2022 is the year one and done is over that would be horrible to trade that either.

I worry about the pick more from the standpoint of the flight risk a one year contract entails.

Now if the pick was conditional on him re-signing with the Kings I could see that.
I’d say there is zero chance Oladipo would re-sign with us. I bet he is over small markets and wanting to finish his prime with a premier franchise.

I’d say there is zero chance Oladipo would re-sign with us. I bet he is over small markets and wanting to finish his prime with a premier franchise.
Good point.

The article also assumed the Kings are in win now mode while everything I've seen from McNair is that he wants to be patient and build a team around Fox that is on De'Aaron's timeline. Oladipo is six months older than Buddy.

There's also the coaching dilemma. There's a chance that last year was all injuries, but there's an equally if not more likely chance that Luke blew it and his role in Monte's rebuild is sacrificial lamb so Monte can get the players he wants in place so his preferred coach doesn't have to take it on the chin with a rebuilding lineup.

Way too much risk to take on a guy without 2-3 years on his deal before we've stabilized the franchise.

There's also the coaching dilemma. There's a chance that last year was all injuries, but there's an equally if not more likely chance that Luke blew it and his role in Monte's rebuild is sacrificial lamb so Monte can get the players he wants in place so his preferred coach doesn't have to take it on the chin with a rebuilding lineup.
I agree with you for the most part. I think this is the estimating year and it buys a lot of good grace for Monte McNair to keep Luke Walton for this year not only to see how he does and if he can improve from last year but also putting this year's result on Luke if it doesn't work out with him. One stone two birds kind of situation where McNair won't come off as a failure, especially with him signing multiple 1-year deals.

I agree with you for the most part. I think this is the estimating year and it buys a lot of good grace for Monte McNair to keep Luke Walton for this year not only to see how he does and if he can improve from last year but also putting this year's result on Luke if it doesn't work out with him. One stone two birds kind of situation where McNair won't come off as a failure, especially with him signing multiple 1-year deals.
They seem to have set the staff up where there is a potential pool of interim coaches ready to step in if need be too. It's all the little things Monte is doing that give me some long term hope. Obviously this is his team now and there are going to be a few painful decisions like Bogi.

While I am sure Monte will have some trades something like this just seems reactionary, and it's hard to imagine giving up a pick which is an opportunity to put your stamp on the franchise for a short term rental.

Talent for talent it's not bad on the surface but there's only one ball. Again, teams keep thinking that having 3-4 lead ball handlers actually works when it doesn't. It never does unless those players are equally capable and willing off the ball and if they aren't it just looks pretty on paper. Oladipo is damaged goods right now beyond that. He's always been OK off the ball but nowhere worth what he's paid even when healthy.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Knicks have a significant amount of draft capital over the next few drafts. But it’s unknown if New York would have any interest in a) trading for Hield or b) including future draft picks in a Hield transaction. Sending Julius Randle’s salary out in a deal for Hield would work under trade rules. As of earlier this week, no Knicks trade with the Kings or any other team was imminent.

32 mins ago – via SportsNet New York
It actually looks as if the Knicks have quite a bit of salary cap space (on the order of $20M) so they could actually send quite a bit less money back in a trade if they wanted Buddy. Obviously the draft compensation would be key here. I'm not sure about the characterization of their draft assets, at least in terms of first-rounders. Looks like they have a swap with LAC in 2021 (that's not happening), and they have a Dallas 2021 unprotected and a Dallas 2023 (1-10 protected for three years, then becomes a 2nd). Otherwise they have their own picks, and a bunch of second rounders. I would imagine that if we were to send Buddy away for only draft assets, that the asking price would be at least two *good* first rounders.

Teams really want the Kings to drop Hield off at their doorstep for free huh? Hang onto him and raise that stock if the damage is too far gone to be repaired! If Buddy is used right and buys in then he might be in pretty big demand after the deals lesser talented shooters got this offseason.