Welcome Tyrese Haliburton

Hilariously there was was some clip I saw on NBC sports or something and the guy they were talking too said "the king's front office isn't well thought of and a lot of scouts think that will hurt Haliburton"

The front office has been together for about 10 minutes and apparently they're already "not well thought of". :D

These sources are literally made up.
Fair enough. However, we haven't given anyone any reason to give us the benefit of doubt.

Don't get me wrong. I am not blaming the current management for past decisions. However, if we include the FO to include the ownership (reasonable) and the coaching staff (a stretch, but part of non-playing group and relevant to this discussion), then there is certainly a fair amount of holdover from previous years. And our record in player development all these years has been abysmal.

I would even give Luke the benefit of doubt in this area for now, since it often takes time for young players to show results, and he had to come in and implement a new system in a crazy year and several guys injured. That said, since we lost Adelman, with the exception of IT, I don't think we have developed a single player. I will exclude Cuz, since everyone knew his crazy talent even before the draft.

During that period, we consistently hit home runs even with late picks (Hedo, GW, Kevin Martin). Since then we have consistently picked in the lottery, and don't think we have drafted a single all star other than Cuz and IT.

Were these bad picks, or did our system fail to use them properly (or some combination of both)? It can be argued that none of those guys went elsewhere and did much either, so these were bad picks. However, I do believe that the first few years are critical in a player's development, both skills wise, and more importantly, in terms of confidence and maturity. We probably failed the kids as much as they failed us.

Even in the current crop, many of our kids were super heralded guys from college, and while they may still have great careers, we are left pining for more as their less heralded colleagues have made a greater mark in the league. Fox has yet to make the All Star team, while Bam has established himself as one of the premier stars, and Mitchell is also well regarded. Both these guys were picked behind him. We are still waiting to see what Bagley can do. Giles was supposed to be a steal, and an elite talent who will be one of our stars once healthy. Now we are not sure if he will even be on our roster next year.

Every team will miss on some picks and some guys picked later will surprise others. Our picks did the latter during our glory years, and the table has now turned. I don't think the blame lies entirely with the picks themselves. Our lack of providing the right environment is certainly a factor in my opinion, and unless we show that we have turned a corner, our history will be used, even if unfairly, against the current management.

Fair enough. However, we haven't given anyone any reason to give us the benefit of doubt.
Sorry, it’s just an ignorant POV (by them, not you). All based on lack of info.

It’s like saying Haliburton won’t be any good because the KINGS last draft pick wasn’t — even though they haven’t seen the kid or know anything about him.

Smart people evaluate and form opinions on a case by case basis. Not on prior history of others that has nothing to do with what is transpiring now.

But that’s 90% of sports media today. Clueless. And only on air to drive ratings with unsubstantiated hot takes.

Half the time these media folk don’t even know who is on the team if it’s not a marquee franchise, let alone really watching games. I’ve seen it tireless with my Miami Dolphins this season. As someone that watches every play of every game, I can easily tell a majority of these idiots don’t watch the games. Kinda like how a good teacher can tell when a student only read cliff notes.

Sorry, it’s just an ignorant POV (by them, not you). All based on lack of info.

It’s like saying Haliburton won’t be any good because the KINGS last draft pick wasn’t — even though they haven’t seen the kid or know anything about him.

Smart people evaluate and form opinions on a case by case basis. Not on prior history of others that has nothing to do with what is transpiring now.

But that’s 90% of sports media today. Clueless. And only on air to drive ratings with unsubstantiated hot takes.

Half the time these media folk don’t even know who is on the team if it’s not a marquee franchise, let alone really watching games. I’ve seen it tireless with my Miami Dolphins this season. As someone that watches every play of every game, I can easily tell a majority of these idiots don’t watch the games. Kinda like how a good teacher can tell when a student only read cliff notes.

Wow, a die hard Dolphins and Kings fan just like me? I feel your pain brother.

Well, as many of you know, this was my guy, and I'm stunned that he fell to us. As I've said before, I had him as the best player in this draft. He can play the point, or SG positions because of his 6'5" height and big wingspan. He had one of the best, if not the best assist to turnover ratio's in college. He hardly ever turns the ball over. He's an excellent shooter, even though his form looks a bit funky, shooting over 40% from the three. He's an excellent defender with terrific BBIQ. Other than him needing to add some muscle to his frame, he has no apparent weakness to his game.

I'am now going to celebrate! Merry Christmas, the basketball God's have finally smiled on us.
He’s a phenomenal addition to the team. He reminds me almost of a Malcom Brogdon. I think the Fox-Halliburton will be the future backcourt to come. Really shocked we got him at #12, should’ve gone a lot higher. Hopefully it ends up like a Donovan Mitchell case where everyone wonders how he slipped so far down.

Idk if it was here or somewhere else, but I saw the Lonzo comp come up while I’ve been reading up on him.
I've compared him to Lonzo with a bit of SGA to his game. His shooting motion concerns me but not as much as Ball's. It's a very consistent shot with his feet set and can be tweaked if need be.

I know some people don't like that comp but if Ball were a consistent outside shooter and went in the late lottery vs #2 and hailed as the future of the Lakers I think people would have a different view of him. His dad also set him up to fail.

For guys like he and Haliburton (who are a bit funky as prospects), fit is important. And I think playing next to Fox will be a great thing for Tyrese.

Wow, a die hard Dolphins and Kings fan just like me? I feel your pain brother.
Lol. Wow. Yes, you do. ;)

Been a KINGS fan since ‘85 (obviously) and Dolphins fan since ‘around‘ 1976ish.

Now if you happen to root for any of the Dodgers, Sharks, Buckeyes (football), Tar Heels (basketball), Hornets (local college), or Rafael Nadal (tennis) then we really have something in common! Hahaha

Last edited:
At least y’all have a franchise QB (maybe)
I sure hope so!

He didn’t play well this past weekend, but neither did the o-line or anybody else for that matter.

Tua’s had the most productive defense, in terms of turnovers and big plays, on his side — but he’s got by far the least amount of offensive talent to work with when compared to Herbert and Burrow. And almost zero rush attack to help him out.

Here’s one Dolphins fan hoping they use their draft capital largely on offensive play makers. Give the kid a chance!

Same applies to Swipa as well. Hopefully Haliburton is a first step toward that goal.

The Sacramento Kings have signed rookie guard Tyrese Haliburton to a contract, according to General Manager Monte McNair.

– via NBA.com

“We are thrilled to have drafted Tyrese and excited to welcome him to the Kings family,” said McNair. “He is an incredibly talented athlete whose shooting, creative passing and ball handling skills combined with his ability to defend either guard position will be a valuable addition to our backcourt. Tyrese also has an engaging personality and is just the type of high character individual who fits the future of what we are building in Sacramento.”

– via NBA.com

Jason Anderson @JandersonSacBee
First-round NBA Draft pick Tyrese Haliburton signs rookie contract with Sacramento Kings sacbee.com/sports/article…

Probably a dumb question, but does anyone know the exact rules for roster spots? I think that barring any trade, the following guys are a lock to be on the roster

Bagley
Barnes
Bjelica
Fox
Tyrese
Buddy
Holmes
Cory
Kaminsky
Parker
Robinson
Hassan

That leaves a max of 3 slots. We have DQJ, Woodard, Ramsey, and Justin James all signed to a contract. Does that mean we need to cut one of them if we can't make a trade, or can guys with contract be delegated to Stockton and not required to be waived.

I have not included Kyle Guy or Metu in this group, since the latter is not guaranteed and the former was a 2-way (IIRC).

I did try to Google before posting (though perhaps not diligently enough). Most links provided details on roster spots, two way contracts, etc., without telling how many players can a team have signed. I think we can have more than 15, and keep some guys in Stockton (quite likely Woodard and Ramsey will see time there).

Probably a dumb question, but does anyone know the exact rules for roster spots? I think that barring any trade, the following guys are a lock to be on the roster

Bagley
Barnes
Bjelica
Fox
Tyrese
Buddy
Holmes
Cory
Kaminsky
Parker
Robinson
Hassan

That leaves a max of 3 slots. We have DQJ, Woodard, Ramsey, and Justin James all signed to a contract. Does that mean we need to cut one of them if we can't make a trade, or can guys with contract be delegated to Stockton and not required to be waived.

I have not included Kyle Guy or Metu in this group, since the latter is not guaranteed and the former was a 2-way (IIRC).

I did try to Google before posting (though perhaps not diligently enough). Most links provided details on roster spots, two way contracts, etc., without telling how many players can a team have signed. I think we can have more than 15, and keep some guys in Stockton (quite likely Woodard and Ramsey will see time there).
You can have 20 players during the off season. 15 players once the season starts, plus 2 two-way players. Right now the Kings have 18 players under contract, including Guy on a two-way. Metu and Rose are not officially signed.

There has been talk of the league expanding the roster to 17 players due to COVID concerns, but I don't know how much traction that has.

I think the roster is limited to 17. At least I thought thats what it was in the bubble. Prior to that it was 15.
That is what I had wondered in a different thread. And I wasn't sure if during the bubble if it was just relaxing the rules on how many days two way players could be with the team.

You can have 20 players during the off season. 15 players once the season starts, plus 2 two-way players. Right now the Kings have 18 players under contract, including Guy on a two-way. Metu and Rose are not officially signed.

There has been talk of the league expanding the roster to 17 players due to COVID concerns, but I don't know how much traction that has.
Thanks. I had counted 17 (including Guy). Not sure whom I missed.

In any case, barring a trade or increase in roster size, I guess Justin is gone. Hope he can be retained. Not sure of the fit, but always good to have young players on cheap deals to sweeten the pot and match salaries in a potential trade.

Thanks. I had counted 17 (including Guy). Not sure whom I missed.

In any case, barring a trade or increase in roster size, I guess Justin is gone. Hope he can be retained. Not sure of the fit, but always good to have young players on cheap deals to sweeten the pot and match salaries in a potential trade.
You're right. There is 17 including Guy. I kept including Yogi.

It's a mystery to me how the final roster will shake out. There are a lot of bigs going into camp and it's no guarantee that Kaminsky makes the final squad.

What kind of year do you anticipate Hali having? I figure Fox adds a couple ppg. Bagley will either average 17-18 or flop which basically replaces Bogi’s production. That leaves about 10-15 ppg likely for Tyrese.

I’ll go with 11 points 3 assists. Shoots 38% from 3