All-NBA Free Agency Thread 2020

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
That kinda money changes things. Nobody else was going to offer him $30 million a year. If I were an NBA journeyman one-time All-Star coming off a year where I was maybe the fourth or fifth best player on my team I'd play on the moon for $30 million a year.
it's amazing to me that a Gordon Hayward still can get a 100 million dollar contract from a team, his agent must really be good in persuading and negotiation

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Shams Charania: Free agent Serge Ibaka has agreed to a deal with the Los Angeles Clippers, sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium. – via Twitter ShamsCharania

Adrian Wojnarowski: Free agent Serge Ibaka plans to sign a 2-year, $19M deal with the Clippers, source tells ESPN. – via Twitter wojespn

another team in LA with a steal. The rich get richer.
and here I thought he was going to the Nets. spoke too soon

That kinda money changes things. Nobody else was going to offer him $30 million a year. If I were an NBA journeyman one-time All-Star coming off a year where I was maybe the fourth or fifth best player on my team I'd play on the moon for $30 million a year.
Gordon Hayward had 220 million dollars in career earnings prior to this contract. More than enough for him and several generations after him to never work another day in their lives (unless he is a complete idiot with money) He chose to sign with a team with no championship aspirations and will probably never win a playoff series. I just don't get it. Maybe he's all about the cash now and figures he can ring chase when he is a year or two from retiring.

Gordon Hayward had 220 million dollars in career earnings prior to this contract. More than enough for him and several generations after him to never work another day in their lives (unless he is a complete idiot with money) He chose to sign with a team with no championship aspirations and will probably never win a playoff series. I just don't get it. Maybe he's all about the cash now and figures he can ring chase when he is a year or two from retiring.
Figure they keep about 40% of that after agent fees and taxes. Not that 100 million is anything to sniff at either. But pro athletes typically have higher than average numbers of kids (Hayward has 4 right now) and extravagant lifestyles so his kids probably get 10-15 million each, which will be halved by estate taxes.

Not that that isn't a ton of money, but he may not leave a 3-4 generation legacy.

Not that that isn't a ton of money, but he may not leave a 3-4 generation legacy.
It's possible, but if he has a decent money manager he should be able to grow that 100 mil exponentially between the age of 30 and retirement age(Normal person retirement)

As a competitor, I don't think I would be satisfied playing out the tail end of my prime on a rebuilding team. Maybe he sees something in the Charlotte team I don't.

It's possible, but if he has a decent money manager he should be able to grow that 100 mil exponentially between the age of 30 and retirement age(Normal person retirement)

As a competitor, I don't think I would be satisfied playing out the tail end of my prime on a rebuilding team. Maybe he sees something in the Charlotte team I don't.
They are probably better off just following John Bogle's 3 fund approach and never giving anyone a cut but you read way too many horror stories about pro athletes hitting 40 and selling their homes in bankruptcy. Granted it's getting a bit rarer for guys who got paid in the last 10-15 years where the money has gotten even more obscene.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Funny enough, I don’t hate JaVale. He’s what Willie should be. Tall and athletic and while he’s not very good he tries his butt off and uses his athleticism on defense.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He's starting to get "older", but still, he does offer some unique things on the floor with his switching defensively and running the floor. I don't hate it for them.
I think it depends on how he lets them use him. If he commits to running rims and locking in on defense, it could work. If it’s the same WCS as usual, it’s a bad move.

I think it depends on how he lets them use him. If he commits to running rims and locking in on defense, it could work. If it’s the same WCS as usual, it’s a bad move.
Was just talking with a very well informed Dallas fan, he sorta painted the picture of Dallas adding some meh this early off season, hasn't really acquired much to be difference makers. After thinking about their situation some, I think he was right being disappointed now. Not that the contract itself for WCS is that bad.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Was just talking with a very well informed Dallas fan, he sorta painted the picture of Dallas adding some meh this early off season, hasn't really acquired much to be difference makers. After thinking about their situation some, I think he was right being disappointed now. Not that the contract itself for WCS is that bad.
I like Richardson for them but yeah I think people are getting so caught up with the idea of surrounding Luka with more shooters that they are sorta ignoring the fact that the Mavs lost in the playoffs because their defense sucked and they need another playmaker or two.

I like Richardson for them but yeah I think people are getting so caught up with the idea of surrounding Luka with more shooters that they are sorta ignoring the fact that the Mavs lost in the playoffs because their defense sucked and they need another playmaker or two.
JJ Barea didn't retire!

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Lol, a playmaker with Luka. That wouldn’t work, silly fans.
In this case they need a playmaker who can mostly play off the ball because Luka is Luka and Zinger thinks he’s Luka. There’s a reason the Mavs were willing to give up all their remaining future picks to move up in this draft and take Haliburton.

All these centers getting contracts for 2/$20 mil or less and pacers don’t want to unload turner at $18 mil a year on us for a wing they can use? They’ve tried turner/Sabonas together and it didn’t work. At least the kings tried to trade away one of buddy/bogi.

All these centers getting contracts for 2/$20 mil or less and pacers don’t want to unload turner at $18 mil a year on us for a wing they can use? They’ve tried turner/Sabonas together and it didn’t work. At least the kings tried to trade away one of buddy/bogi.
It's possible if we had another day or two before ATL got their offer in we could have worked a deal but my guess is ATL gave Bogi a deadline to sign.