Free Agency

Buddy will make a few million more but he's a superior player and his skills should be used in a much more efficient way with Haliburton handling the ball. (Walton willing)

Bogdan's skills overlap with Haliburton's, which makes him less valuable to us. That's a lot of money to pay to a ball handler that won't get to handle the ball as much. Now you're paying $18mil for a player who doesn't get to utilize one of his plus skills very often and is only an average to slightly above average shooter. Tack on his slightly below average defense and I don't see the point in keeping him unless it's strictly to trade him later.
yes and no.

I agree to some extent that Bogi and Haliburton skills over lap but high (or higher) IQ players do better when surrounded by other higher IQ players.

I agree. It's a no brainier not to match.

Keeping Bogi means the same issue of not enough minutes at SG for he and Buddy, let alone Haliburton.

To tie up over $45 million at the SG spot where we know one or both guys will be unhappy and one or both also won't get the kind of minutes needed to put up the kind of numbers to make them attractive trade assets.

My hope this offseason was to trade Hield and re-sign Bogdanovic so at least we weren't losing an asset for nothing. Not to mention the team played better with Bogdan starting and he'd be the cheaper of the two.

But with Buddy not being traded and no sign-and-trade available for Bogdanovic, the harsh reality is that unless McNair can find a deal for Hield before the deadline to match Atlanta's offer sheet it just doesn't make sense.
If Bogi signed it no other deal can be found this year. To me it’s a no brainer to match.

Buddy will make a few million more but he's a superior player and his skills should be used in a much more efficient way with Haliburton handling the ball. (Walton willing)

Bogdan's skills overlap with Haliburton's, which makes him less valuable to us. That's a lot of money to pay to a ball handler that won't get to handle the ball as much. Now you're paying $18mil for a player who doesn't get to utilize one of his plus skills very often and is only an average to slightly above average shooter. Tack on his slightly below average defense and I don't see the point in keeping him unless it's strictly to trade him later.
If Bogi and Halliburton’s skills overlap than how is he gonna make Kobe I mean buddy any better

If Bogi signed it no other deal can be found this year. To me it’s a no brainer to match.
Just doesn't make any sense to me to have Buddy and Bogi on the team next year. You're not going to compete running it back, you've lost Bazemore, Giles and probably Len at this point. All you're doing is burying DQJ, Hali and Woodard on the bench for our core from last year to be worse, wasting a year of playing time for the young guys.

Just doesn't make any sense to me to have Buddy and Bogi on the team next year. You're not going to compete running it back, you've lost Bazemore, Giles and probably Len at this point. All you're doing is burying DQJ, Hali and Woodard on the bench for our core from last year to be worse, wasting a year of playing time for the young guys.
you aren’t competing regardless. Kings are easily the 2nd worst team in the west.

if you play a 3 guard line-up like Houston then Hali gets plenty of time and DQJ and Woodard get the spot minutes they probably deserve. If you get a decent pick you finally get your starting small forward and see who you want to trade then.

In a world where Jerami Grant gets 20m/year, I have no idea how to value anyone. 18m/year plus a trade kicker seems like a deal that could hamstring the Kings. At the same time, I value Bogi way more than Jerami Grant, so I guess matching to keep Bogi is worth it. Interesting situation for McNair.

Kings fans: Last year’s team sucked! Make it better!

Also Kings fans: But make sure you keep all the players from that sucky team!!

Kings fans again: Why isn’t this team with the same players and rotation as last year’s team that sucked any better???
It's not that simple though. Bogi is good, letting him walk for nothing doesn't improve the team either. Not saying we should definitely match. At this point I am trusting McNair to have a plan either way.

Teams better than the Kings this year:

for sure better
Clippers
Lakers
Denver
Utah
Dallas
Portland
Pheonix

most likely better
Houston
Golden State
New Orleans
Minnesota
Memphis

for sure worse
OKC.

anyone disagree? This situation is the reality of Vlade’s horrible drafting.

What we have this year doesn’t really matter. What matters is what assets do we have to be better in 18 months.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's not that simple though. Bogi is good, letting him walk for nothing doesn't improve the team either. Not saying we should definitely match. At this point I am trusting McNair to have a plan either way.
But you’re not letting him walk for nothing. You’re letting him walk to clear time for your new lotto pick to play. You’re letting him walk to improve the rotation. You’re letting him walk to reset the team’s culture.

Kings fans: Last year’s team sucked! Make it better!

Also Kings fans: But make sure you keep all the players from that sucky team!!

Kings fans again: Why isn’t this team with the same players and rotation as last year’s team that sucked any better???
you left out
Kings fan: there is no path to better this year. Don’t lose assets that can make you better in 18 months so we suck for another 6 years

once again, I beg the question... WHEN HAS BOGI PROVEN TO BE A HIGH IQ PLAYER?!
I'm not sure what proof you're looking for given that it's largely subjective. He clearly has an above average IG. He makes good decisions in the pick and roll which is a strong indicator. He has been asked to be a shot creator which he's not particularly good at. Not disagreeing that his shot selection is questionable at times but there is more to it than that alone. If you're arguing that his IQ is low or average, I don't know what to tell you. It's clear that you've taken a disliking to him, that's fine but there's no need to be irrational about it.

But you’re not letting him walk for nothing. You’re letting him walk to clear time for your new lotto pick to play. You’re letting him walk to improve the rotation. You’re letting him walk to reset the team’s culture.
All valid arguments. But it's still valid to acknowledge that you're letting a positive asset walk without receiving anything tangible in return. It's not an easy decision and both outcomes have pros and cons.

We have heard culture for years. Lol

If you are playing 3 guards Haliburton gets plenty of time. If you are saying we can’t win playing 3 guards.... duh. We weren’t winning anyway.

No one is really debating Bogi versus Buddy right now. Being smarter than a dumb person doesn’t make you a genius, it just makes the dumb person dumb.
If you are talking who would play better next to Haliburton a low IQ player like Buddy makes Haliburton worse.

Buddy’s contract was one of many things Vlade did to F this team. It’s going to take time to fix.

Too be fair Buddy only allowed to touch the ball when it’s time to shoot is a better fit with Haliburton. But in Luke’s system everyone moves and thinks making Buddy a disaster (as is Bagley). At this point losing a reasonably priced asset makes no sense.

Just to point out you're letting walk a guy who has always played in winning cultures.