Rumors that teams have asked about Giles

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I'd like to see a team like the Pacers or Raptors take him in and develop him. Being in a winning culture and around competent staff would do him some good.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Remember, any team that trades for Giles can't pay him more than $4M next year.
This may be a good news for the Kings.

If teams are asking about Giles in a trade knowing that if they traded for him $4 million would be the most they could offer him this summer, this may give us a good idea of Giles market this summer. Someone (probably some team with a sneaky GM, like Houston) is trying to outsmart Vlade by trading for Giles now, probably knowing that they could get a steal and re-sign him for about that $4 million mark this summer.

Hopefully, Vlade doesn't bite and sticks it out with Giles and re-signs Giles this off season.

I would be interested to see how Giles goes on another team. Will he become a solid NBA rotation big/ decent starter? Or another what if? Obviously, happy to root for him as a King. But also recognise he hasn't cracked the permanent rotation here.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This may be a good news for the Kings.

If teams are asking about Giles in a trade knowing that if they traded for him $4 million would be the most they could offer him this summer, this may give us a good idea of Giles market this summer. Someone (probably some team with a sneaky GM, like Houston) is trying to outsmart Vlade by trading for Giles now, probably knowing that they could get a steal and re-sign him for about that $4 million mark this summer.

Hopefully, Vlade doesn't bite and sticks it out with Giles and re-signs Giles this off season.
I've been thinking the same thing. It doesn't look - right now - that Giles is going to break the bank this summer. If that's the case, perhaps we do have a shot at straight up re-signing him for the $4M we should have just picked up. A seemingly pointless gamble...but we just don't know the internal details.

So we are a short time away from free agency. I assume Giles is on his way out but who knows? If he doesn't get a multiyear deal I wonder if he would re-sign with the Kings? New management obviously and he seems to genuinely love Sacramento.

So we are a short time away from free agency. I assume Giles is on his way out but who knows? If he doesn't get a multiyear deal I wonder if he would re-sign with the Kings? New management obviously and he seems to genuinely love Sacramento.
Yeah, hard to say what will happen with Giles, we seem to have a front office that does not give too much up.
Now that the Milwaukee trade is questionable, so two bigs that were coming in aren’t for now, and the fact we passed on bigs in the draft maybe Giles still has a place with the Kings. His love for the city is sure welcome.

I'm going to wager the second year if offered and a chance to play is what his agent suggests he takes.

I don't think anyone is going to offer him any more than 5 in the first year, probably less than that.

Predict 3.5 million in season 1, partial next season gets it done if he has a good shot to play.

Think clearing out Bjelica will be important if we want to show Giles that there's room for him in the rotation here with Bagley, Holmes and himself as the bigs rotation. I posted it in the other thread, but 4 teams have cap space this off-season, it's not the right time to be a FA. Everyone gets money back in 2021 and the salary cap should hopefully be a bit better next off-season.

I'd strongly consider a 1+1 deal to stay here with the Kings for whatever his max is (like 2yr/9 mil or something). Get some multi-year security (with his injury history, not the worst idea), leave open the option to return to the Kings because we'd have his full bird rights and give yourself an opportunity to hit FA in a far better 2021 market after another year of playing in a rotation. And with Holmes future extremely uncertain with us unfortunately, especially if we can't ship Buddy and Bogi somewhere, there's a starting big spot we're going to need to fill in the near future.

Offer him a deal with a second year player option. He comes out ahead of what he would have since he won't be restricted, but can go out and earn it if possible.

We'll never know if Vlade had some magic sauce cooking but so far I am liking this new FO and I am not going to lose sleep either way on Harry at this point.

Giles is much better off elsewhere. Let him get a fresh start somewhere else, I still think overseas for a few years is a good idea. If not there are a few tank teams now that could actually utilize him without the fear of getting yanked for a mistake every other second.

Carmichael Dave: The Sacramento Kings and Harry Giles will part ways, according to multiple league sources. Unclear where he is headed, but his time in Sacramento has come to an end. – via Twitter

Booooo

Carmichael Dave: The Sacramento Kings and Harry Giles will part ways, according to multiple league sources. Unclear where he is headed, but his time in Sacramento has come to an end. – via Twitter

Booooo
That's a shame to hear. I don't know if he will ever turn out to be an above average player but as far as character and love for Sacramento goes, Giles is just about at the top of the list. Heck, he was still talking Sacramento proud all the way up to the draft, even though he most likely knew he wouldn't be back.

That's a shame to hear. I don't know if he will ever turn out to be an above average player but as far as character and love for Sacramento goes, Giles is just about at the top of the list. Heck, he was still talking Sacramento proud all the way up to the draft, even though he most likely knew he wouldn't be back.
Yeah, I don't know if he'll ever pan out but I don't really care.

It's just that everytime we see his name it's just a reminder of Vlades braindead logic. Vlade is gone now so that resentment has fizzled, but it's just annoying that we had to sit back and watch such a thing unfold.

Vlade declined his option with this groundless bravado that his motivation plan would work and that he'd be able to resign him to a contract.

As we can see, what we knew would happen happened.

I'll wait to see where he goes before I decide if it was just a blown pick or a total mismanagement of a good asset but I'm a bit tempted at this point to believe its more of a gamble that didn't pay off. While I wanted to keep him here for 2 more years with Monte in charge I am not going to lose sleep on it and I bet this is a Monte decision as much as it is other teams champing at the bit to give him their MLE.

Yeah, I don't know if he'll ever pan out but I don't really care.

It's just that everytime we see his name it's just a reminder of Vlades braindead logic. Vlade is gone now so that resentment has fizzled, but it's just annoying that we had to sit back and watch such a thing unfold.

Vlade declined his option with this groundless bravado that his motivation plan would work and that he'd be able to resign him to a contract.

As we can see, what we knew would happen happened.
the problem was drafting him in the first place over Jarret Allen or OG. Not to mention passing at 10 on Donavon Mitchell or Bam.

Vlade was the worst drafting GM in Kings history. The above doesn’t even compare to his PappaG pick or Bagley pick or James pick.

I'd be a lot more ok with the Giles pick if we had drafted a keeper at 15.

If Bagley doesn't play at least 70 games next season that's really gonna sting too, but truth be told Vlade is gone and it looks like Vivek has finally learned his lesson. It took 7 years? A lot of owners never get it.

I'd be a lot more ok with the Giles pick if we had drafted a keeper at 15.

If Bagley doesn't play at least 70 games next season that's really gonna sting too, but truth be told Vlade is gone and it looks like Vivek has finally learned his lesson. It took 7 years? A lot of owners never get it.
Yeah it’s all water under the bridge now. Vlade was terrible at drafting but looking like we now have a competent front office. We might even have a quick fixed competitive team if McNair pulls off this Turner trade.

the problem was drafting him in the first place over Jarret Allen or OG. Not to mention passing at 10 on Donavon Mitchell or Bam.

Vlade was the worst drafting GM in Kings history. The above doesn’t even compare to his PappaG pick or Bagley pick or James pick.
Justin James?