[Stein] The NBA has opened an investigation of the reported transaction involving Milwaukee and Sacramento

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Man, the Bucks royally screwed themselves on this one.

Someone in their front office got a little too excited and started leaking all over Woj and now they’re stuck with a lineup that’s only moderately better than their team last year’s and no tradable capital aside from Donte with pretty much no cap space to speak of.

Legitimate chance they may lose Giannis now over how this has all gone down.

I don’t think the kings did anything wrong. You can’t tamper with your own free agent
I do realize the NBA rules aren't the same as a traditional court of law, but given his RFA status, who can possibly make a legitimate claim of harm by this?

The only answer I can maybe come up with is the Player's Union objecting, but that would seem weird if this is what Bogi wants(wanted)?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Well, with Ilyasova being waived, the pre-existing deal is off but if they do come to terms on something else, not sure what the nba can do. Sacramento’s side was saying there is no trade throughout so the Bucks will have to Do some tap dancing

Man, the Bucks royally screwed themselves on this one.

Someone in their front office got a little too excited and started leaking all over Woj and now they’re stuck with a lineup that’s only moderately better than their team last year’s and no tradable capital aside from Donte with pretty much no cap space to speak of.

Legitimate chance they may lose Giannis now over how this has all gone down.
I mean, if you were right, I can't really blame the Bucks TOO much with the dark cloud hanging over Giannis, I guess?

I do realize the NBA rules aren't the same as a traditional court of law, but given his RFA status, who can possibly make a legitimate claim of harm by this?

The only answer I can maybe come up with is the Player's Union objecting, but that would seem weird if this is what Bogi wants(wanted)?
reading the rules as written it does seem you can tamper with your own player by communicating the interest of another team. The people who are theoretically harmed by this are the remaining 28 teams, who theoretically may have wanted to pitched something to Bogi and had that opportunity taken away by the Kings facilitating his commitment to another team before free agency started.

I really hope it’s not enforced that way but that’s why the league would in theory punish the kings for this

reading the rules as written it does seem you can tamper with your own player by communicating the interest of another team. The people who are theoretically harmed by this are the remaining 28 teams, who theoretically may have wanted to pitched something to Bogi and had that opportunity taken away by the Kings facilitating his commitment to another team before free agency started.

I really hope it’s not enforced that way but that’s why the league would in theory punish the kings for this
And yet, ATL or whomever can't actually argue HARM since if the Kings don't want to deal with them, they just match any offer signed.

I dunno, it's a pretty stupid rule and it would actually hurt small market teams even if tampering rules are supposed to protect teams from getting screwed out of their talent, but we all know that's a wash here. I'm sure NBA would love it if Giannis left MIL. If it's two small teams punish em both maybe?

I wish we could get some reporting about what exactly is being investigated? Is it just whether Milwaukee talked to Bogdan? or is there something else?
Would it have been inappropriate if Milwaukee asked Sac to get Bogdan to agree to an offer sheet before trade season opened?

Again, if this is really the hill the NBA is choosing to die on give me a break. A nice 3 way shrug of the shoulders from both teams and Bogdan should do the trick.

I have to say I am confused by this. If teams know this is illegal and agents know this is illegal, why would any of them say anything?
Because, historically, the NBA has been very lax on enforcing it. Very lax.

Hell, anybody that doesn’t think LAL/NO wasn’t tampering with AD long, long before that trade ever happened is living in fantasyland. And, of course, the NBA didn’t investigate that transaction.

And yet, ATL or whomever can't actually argue HARM since if the Kings don't want to deal with them, they just match any offer signed.

I dunno, it's a pretty stupid rule and it would actually hurt small market teams even if tampering rules are supposed to protect teams from getting screwed out of their talent, but we all know that's a wash here. I'm sure NBA would love it if Giannis left MIL. If it's two small teams punish em both maybe?
yeah I really hope that’s not what they’re looking at

the other thing that’s possible is this isn’t about either organization but about the report that Giannis had been communicating directly w Bogi, because 2019 rules changes were made to crack down on player to player tampering

Because, historically, the NBA has been very lax on enforcing it. Very lax.

Hell, anybody that doesn’t think LAL/NO wasn’t tampering with AD long, long before that trade ever happened is living in fantasyland. And, of course, the NBA didn’t investigate that transaction.
The NBA has a LOOOOOONG history of overlooking anything LA does.

They love to make examples out of small teams though, like they did with Minny and Joe Smith all those years back.

the other thing that’s possible is this isn’t about either organization but about the report that Giannis had been communicating directly w Bogi, because 2019 rules changes were made to crack down on player to player tampering
now that would be something. And if that's true, it would be argued Kings were harmed and deserved compensation?

I wish we could get some reporting about what exactly is being investigated? Is it just whether Milwaukee talked to Bogdan? or is there something else?
Would it have been inappropriate if Milwaukee asked Sac to get Bogdan to agree to an offer sheet before trade season opened?
Tim Reynolds: AP can confirm The New York Times report that an investigation into how or if Milwaukee and Sacramento agreed on parameters of a sign-and-trade involving Bogdan Bogdanovic is underway.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The NBA has a LOOOOOONG history of overlooking anything LA does.

They love to make examples out of small teams though, like they did with Minny and Joe Smith all those years back.
To be fair, the Joe Smith deal was so blatant and stupid and also in hindsight Joe Smith was really not the sort of guy worth the effort of subvert the league’s entire free agent system to keep.

This is, aside from the random assistant GM blabbing to Woj and KOC, largely business as usual

With my tinfoil hat on... Bogi and Bjelica shared the same agent.

You guys remember back in 2018, the 76ers were going to sign Bjelica after his run with the T'Wolves. And then he and his agent backed out of that deal and said his client is going back to Europe, just to have Vlade made him an offer and the rest is history?

Looking at that situation objectively, it does seem the agent is a bit flip-floppy.

Edit: adding links to the stories
https://www.wctrib.com/sports/44738...lf-bjelica-wont-sign-76ers-will-return-europe

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2786918-nemanja-bjelica-agrees-to-contract-with-kings-after-backing-out-of-76ers-deal#:~:text=Nemanja Bjelica is staying stateside,commitment to the Philadelphia 76ers.

As long as the Kings didnt talk to Bogie/agent they are fine. They can discuss a trade with the Bucks just not any terms with Bogie.

The Kings never said there was a deal and denied one was.

I remember some shenanigans with Corliss that got investigated.

As a mid major fan (SMC) - we always worry when Duke or UNC commits a violation because we know NCCA prosecutors are going to come looking for us.