REPORT: Bogdan Bogdanovic in S&T to Bucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has nothing to do with what I want, it’s called being familiar with this book over the last 35 years. But You are right, Kings definitely are and have been doing it right .
Um, yeah, it is. Apparently. Because you chose the words “the right way” when it’s not even come close to being proven to be as yet. Again I ask, what has NOP or OKC accomplished to prove their way right?

It’s clearly obvious you champion what they’ve done and are doing which — despite it producing nothing of substance yet — is why you labeled it the “right way”.

Furthermore, you’re making strawman arguments with your entire response. I’ve been following the team since 1985 too. And I never stated that they’ve done it “right” that entire time. Don’t be a freaking idiot and start making $#!t up.

I correctly stated that THIS current regime has NOTHING to do with the past 35 years. The good or bad.

Lumping this current move with all the previous moves the past 35 years is just plain ignorant. They have no connection whatsoever.

I cant believe people are getting this worked up about Bogi. He was straight up doo doo in 3 games out of every 4.

It’s a win that we got anything for him, much less some intriguing young prospects. It’s good that he didn’t end up walking for nothing, it’s even better we didn’t resign him to a long term deal.

We’re entering rebuild number gazillion since the golden era. It’s sucks, but it’s better than a 10th seed for the next 5 years with the core Vlade slapped together. I hope we move on from Buddy next.
Move on from everyone except Fox and also Bagley (for tanking purposes).

And honestly, I'm not even against moving Fox. It's blasphemous amongst this fanbase, but we could sell high now. Fox is still liable for improvement, but it's a dangerous scenario we're staring down the barrel at.

If we don't collect assets this year, and don't draft high in next years draft, and most importantly HIT on the draft picks, we're staring down another Cousins situation.

Having control over a bunch of assets all come in at the same time with a long timetable of control might be preferable to have the clock ticking for a star player liable to lose his patience.

Last edited:
trading one of your better players for pennies on the dollar is not a great start. Also DD is 6’ 4” with a 6’ 6” wingspan so we lost more length.
I’m not taking sides and claiming this was a good deal. Or that the KINGS couldn’t have done better. Maybe they could have, maybe they couldn’t have. I have no clue. And quite frankly, neither does anyone else — other than those that were actually on the phone calls or zoom sessions.

I’m just saying that this is the very first move of the new regime. And they deserve time to see what their direction is. More importantly, the move they made today, along with any others, haven’t been proven to be the wrong way as yet nor do they have any relation to what previous regimes did.

That’s all.

To further demonstrate my point, I’ll cite the Miami Dolphins as an example. Just a year ago they were being laughed at and went into the 2019 season being labelled possibly the worst roster of all time sure to go 0-16.

When they traded Laremy Tunsil and Minkah Fitzpatrick — they were being mocked and laughed at for doing it the “wrong way”.

Then they finished 2019 going 5-4 and have started 2020 at 6-3 and now everyone that wanted to fire Coach Flo and GM Chris Grier after last seasons 0-7 start and after choosing to bench Ryan Fitzpatrick and start Tua Tagovailoa are now praising them effusively.

Point is, the vision must be allowed to unfold. But not all that long ago, the naysayers were comparing Flores and Grier to failed regimes of the past. Which now looks pretty dumb.

Last edited:
Um, yeah, it is. Apparently. Because you chose the words “the right way” when it’s not even come close to being proven to be as yet. Again I ask, what has NOP or OKC accomplished to prove their way right?

It’s clearly obvious you champion what they’ve done and are doing which — despite it producing nothing of substance yet — is why you labeled it the “right way”.

Furthermore, you’re making strawman arguments with your entire response. I’ve been following the team since 1985 too. And I never stated that they’ve done it “right” that entire time. Don’t be a freaking idiot and start making $#!t up.

I correctly stated that THIS current regime has NOTHING to do with the past 35 years. The good or bad.

Lumping this current move with all the previous moves the past 35 years is just plain ignorant. They have no connection whatsoever.
Lol you should probably calm yourself, this is clearly getting you all riled up.
now if I actually gave a crap about your opinion on this matter, I might be bothered. Grow up

SLAB

Hall of Famer

And honestly, I'm not even against moving Fox. It's blasphemous amongst this fanbase, but we could sell high now. Fox is still liable for improvement, but it's a dangerous scenario we're staring down the barrel at.

If we don't collect assets this year, and don't draft high in next years draft, and most importantly HIT on the draft picks, we're staring down another Cousins situation.

Having control over a bunch of assets all come in at the same time with a long timetable of control might be preferable to have the clock ticking for a star player liable to lose his patience.
eh. I don’t think Fox is good enough to single-handedly win games like Cuz did. Cuz himself could carry the garbage team to the no-man’s land 6-10 pick range, Fox by himself? Don’t see it. If we go full tank, we’ll be locked into some high picks. Of course we have to hit those.

eh. I don’t think Fox is good enough to single-handedly win games like Cuz did. Cuz himself could carry the garbage team to the no-man’s land 6-10 pick range, Fox by himself? Don’t see it. If we go full tank, we’ll be locked into some high picks. Of course we have to hit those.
Honestly, I'd consider it do or die with Fox this year, and not in terms of winning. If the #12 pick contributes and we can add a legit blue chip prospect like Cunningham, awesome. Run it back with Fox. If the #12 pick doesn't hit, and we're looking at picking 7 or 8 again, extend and cash out. It's not going to work, Fox becomes our best assets to grab picks to start over, and under the new contract his value would diminish with each passing year. I also imagine that by the time he's 25-26 or so, he'll be in that Cousins territory of winning games by himself and locking us into no man's land.

We get a young guard with some upside for a RFA our front office determined wasn't worth signing. In the grand scheme of things, that is probably a win. Big questions remain however. It doesn't appear the Hield/Kings partnership is on solid ground. Is he next?
maybe this was another way of them showing confidence in Buddy. One rough season shouldn't give him a bad rep IMO

Bjeli’s probably gone. Parker too. Jeffries probably slots in as our backup SF
Hypothetical after a hawks/kings trade

Fox Cojo
Haliburton DDV
Bey Jefferies
Barnes Ersan/ FA
Bagley Holmes
100% yes. Buddy+Bjelica for 6 and one of their wings (Reddish, Hunter, Huerter) would be incredible. Cash in on a team that's clearly trying to make a push now and desperately needs spacing and vet talent with their current core.

Leaves you with Fox, Bagley, DDV, 6, 12, 35, 42 as reasonably strong assets. DQJ and Wilson as projects with interesting skill-sets/tools. Very likely a strong 2021 pick. Kings could really make this rebuild pretty exciting with a quick turn-around, but they have to keep committing with their movable vet talent.

Now the Next domino is Buddy. I still would prefer keeping him but now that Bogi’s off the Board, it could make the Hawks or another SG needy team eager to drop more assets for him
i wouldn't want anything from the Hawks if it ain't Collins. I know that's a pipe dream though! I honestly wanna give the Fox and Buddy backcourt another shot

gunks

Hall of Famer

I agree. Next year's draft is supposed to be pretty killer. I say let Fox be tank commander and work on expanding his game *cough* range *cough* while we jockey for a high draft pick. If Fox has improved his shot by next summer and we are in position to draft a slam dunk prospect, roll with that core.

I'd listen to offers for Bagley next season for sure though. I say this as somebody who has given up on him ever being healthy, btw. He still has crazy upside, so I can imagine there are a lot of teams out there that would give up decent pieces to gamble on him playing more than 30 games a season or whatever. You would just have to pull the trigger on a trade before the next stubbed toe sidelines him for 3 months.

Edit: I can never not be snarky when talking about Bagley... But let the records show I'm still pulling for him to succeed as a King! I would LOVE to eat crow about him, because he's fun as hell to watch when healthy.

Hard nosed, smart defending hustle players are the kind of players that win ball games. Period. This coming season will not be a tanking one at all IMO. I've had enough of these players acting as if they're too good to come off the bench when they've yet to win anything in the NBA. Less divas, and more players aware of their roles that also choose to embrace them, please!

I agree. Next year's draft is supposed to be pretty killer. I say let Fox be tank commander and work on expanding his game *cough* range *cough* while we jockey for a high draft pick. If Fox has improved his shot by next summer and we are in position to draft a slam dunk prospect, roll with that core.

I'd listen to offers for Bagley next season for sure though. I say this as somebody who has given up on him ever being healthy, btw. He still has crazy upside, so I can imagine there are a lot of teams out there that would give up decent pieces to gamble on him playing more than 30 games a season or whatever. You would just have to pull the trigger on a trade before the next stubbed toe sidelines him for 3 months.

Edit: I can never not be snarky when talking about Bagley... But let the records show I'm still pulling for him to succeed as a King! I would LOVE to eat crow about him, because he's fun as hell to watch when healthy.
Cunningham, Green, Williams, Kuminga, Mobley. If one of those names isn't suiting up for the Kings after next year, then I think we have to move on from Fox. 2022 is also supposed to be a killer draft. Hopefully Fox will be a fully realized All-Star Player. Even under a max contract, with 4-5 years left on it he would easily command the haul that Holiday did from some team (I'm looking at you, Knicks).

Obviously if I believed in Bagley, I wouldn't believe there was such a time crunch for building around Fox. I've left him out of my vision of the future except for tanking next year because no matter what his talent, I don't believe his post-up, face-up style conducive to anything, and his me-first AAU attitude would muddy things even further if they add another blue chip prospect. I'm hopeful they keep him for this year alone for some counting stats on a losing team and jettison him out regardless before we have to extend him. (Again, I'm looking at you Knicks).

The Bucks couldn’t take on Barnes without being hardcapped So that was never going to be a possibility after the Jrue trade.
More than that, they just didn't have the salary to send back. Since they aren't trading Giannis or Middleton they'd have to have Robin Lopez opt in and then deal he and Brook along with all the pieces in the existing Bogi deal to absorb Barnes and they'd still be adding $6M or more in salary depending on Bogi's contract.

I was hoping for the 24th pick in this year's draft or to unload Barnes but both did go out the window with the Holiday trade.

I'm assuming this is step 1 in the tank job but it could also be a way to clear Buddy to start and clarify the guard rotation. I'm sure we'll find out which it is very soon.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
More than that, they just didn't have the salary to send back. Since they aren't trading Giannis or Middleton they'd have to have Robin Lopez opt in and then deal he and Brook along with all the pieces in the existing Bogi deal to absorb Barnes and they'd still be adding $6M or more in salary depending on Bogi's deal.

I was hoping for the 24th pick in this year's draft or to unload Barnes but both did go out the window with the Holiday trade.

I'm assuming this is step 1 in the tank job but it could also be a way to clear Buddy to start and clarify the guard rotation. I'm sure we'll find out which it is very soon.
One of my (probably unfounded) concerns is that this Donte acquisition has actually made the Kings guard situation much more functional (especially assuming a CoJo trade happens at some point) and that a Fox/Buddy/Donte backcourt rotation with Vassell or Okoro on the wings as our pick with Barnes and Holmes ends up making us better enough to pull us out of the top of the draft next year but not good enough to get anywhere long term.

You’re right that this is probably only step one in McNair’s rebuild but the image of De’Aaron turning into an all-star and Buddy having another year like two years ago to push the Kings into fun inconsequentiality is hard to shake.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Im hoping McNair’s analytics are money and DD keeps improving to the point of being a break out player. If that happens then potentially we could win this deal. Bogi at $15M would not have been good. Defensively, we just got better by a country mile.

Donte is a great get in this situation, and I'll be rooting for Bogi in that playoffs next year. Excited to see what direction McNair and Co. take this team re: Buddy, Nemanja, free agents, draft picks, etc over the next few days.

One of my (probably unfounded) concerns is that this Donte acquisition has actually made the Kings guard situation much more functional (especially assuming a CoJo trade happens at some point) and that a Fox/Buddy/Donte backcourt rotation with Vassell or Okoro on the wings as our pick with Barnes and Holmes ends up making us better enough to pull us out of the top of the draft next year but not good enough to get anywhere long term.

You’re right that this is probably only step one in McNair’s rebuild but the image of De’Aaron turning into an all-star and Buddy having another year like two years ago to push the Kings into fun inconsequentiality is hard to shake.
Even still; you're relying on so, so many things to go right for you to maybe make the playoffs, much less contend. The West is just too difficult to get through right now. The worst teams (Spurs) still have LMA and Derozan for the time being with a bunch of decent young talent. The Wolves have one of the youngest core in the NBA; year 2 of KAT-DLO and a #1 pick. Portland just got RoCo and will be healthy with Nurk and Collins back. Suns just got Cp3 after a strong finish. Year 2 for Zion/Ingram/Lonzo and they still got really solid guards in return for Jrue in Bledsoe and Hill. OKC still a pile of good players and potential leap from SGA into all-star consideration.

All the bottom feeders and there isn't a team I could confidently say we are better than talent wise.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Even still; you're relying on so, so many things to go right for you to maybe make the playoffs, much less contend. The West is just too difficult to get through right now. The worst teams (Spurs) still have LMA and Derozan for the time being with a bunch of decent young talent. The Wolves have one of the youngest core in the NBA; year 2 of KAT-DLO and a #1 pick. Portland just got RoCo and will be healthy with Nurk and Collins back. Suns just got Cp3 after a strong finish. Year 2 for Zion/Ingram/Lonzo and they still got really solid guards in return for Jrue in Bledsoe and Hill. OKC still a pile of good players and potential leap from SGA into all-star consideration.

All the bottom feeders and there isn't a team I could confidently say we are better than talent wise.
Yep, it’s why I’m a proponent of bottoming fast during the lost season where fans won’t be allowed and guys are going to be missing games left or right because of COVID anyways. Get back into asset accumulation mode hard and fast and then have an exciting young core ready when fans come back in 2021-2022.

At this point, Fox (hard to justify moving with a freshly signed extension barring us getting Jrue-level package offers), Donte (mainly because he just got here and is a young prospect on a rookie deal), probably Bagley (sheerly based on the idea that he can rebuild value as an asset over the season compared to where it is now as a guy who missed his entire sophomore seaosn), and the draft picks are the only untouchable assets on the roster. I’d be checking the value of everything else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.