Your top three choices with the Kings #12 pick

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I agree it’s hard to predict who the stars will be and I would be happy with Bey if that’s who the kings draft. However, we have no chance of being a contender in the West in the next 3-5 years if we don’t hit a home run on one of our draft picks in the next couple years. Even if we draft 3 solid starters it won’t be enough. We will probably be drafting between 8-15 the next couple years and at least one of our picks in that time frame needs to be a star level player. We already know we can’t sign top tier free agents and we probably don’t have the assets for a huge trade.
I would agree that the best way to acquire a superstar is to draft one. Also the cheapest way. Easier said than done, but if your going to take a flyer in the draft, I think it's best to do that when the percentages are higher. Like in next years draft. I can name about ten players in next years draft that could or would be the first pick in this years draft. So the odds of getting a star, or praise be to God, a superstar are far better. It's difficult to tell the folks on this forum to be patient, but impatience will cause bad choices, and bad choices can set the franchise back a year or two.

So unless someone unexpected falls to us like Haliburton, Toppin, or Vassell, I'll stick with Saddiq Bey. At worse I think he'll be a solid off the bench rotation player and at the best, he'll be a solid starter and perhaps even a 2nd offensive option while playing solid defense. As I've stated before, I'd be fine with Kira Lewis as well or Jalen Smith. And I'll throw in my 4th choice, Aaron Nesmith. I think it's likely that all four could be available, but there have been a lot of rumors of late about Lewis and Bey. So who knows. This is a crazy draft!

bajaden

Hall of Famer
What am I missing with Maxey? I know Calipari is usually right with his beliefs about his players (Booker, Fox, SGA...), but I don't see a high upside player in Maxey. Don't think he finishes left well, plays below the rim, but a solid, staunch defending PG. Better than Cory Joseph not quite as good as Deron Williams.
I saw Maxey play 10 or 11 times and I'm not sure who you were watching. Your right about his 3pt shot, but he shot the three very well in highschool, and his free throw percentage was around 83%, if you buy into that theory. So his 3pt shot could simply be a one year aberration. His shooting form looks fine. However, he's a very good athlete with an explosive first step that has no trouble getting into the lane. He's also an excellent finisher at the basket. He's quite capable of playing above the rim.

He has good end to end speed and would look good playing next to Fox. He has a very good mid-range pullup and floater. As you stated, he's an excellent defender, and depending on the matchup, he could be a lock down defender, similar to his running mate, Quickly. He doesn't have great size for the SG position at 6'3", 195 Lbs and with a 6'5.5" wingspan, but he's not a T-Rex either.

He's obviously not my first choice, but I think he's going to be a solid NBA player, and maybe more than that. He plays hard and with confidence. He's definitely a combo guard with good handles, but maybe lacking some PG instincts.

Who I in my addled brain want the Kings to draft:
1. RJ Hampton
2. Jalen Smith
3. Aleksej Pokusevski
Aleksej Pokusevski is intriguing. Elite rebounder with good BBIQ to spread the floor and high upside for a 7-foot wing. Questionable finishing touch, not really a rim protector (seems to have a lower motor on D, although, in 180 minutes over seven FIBA Under-18 games in 2019, Poku recorded 29 blocks and 18 steals), nor a shot creator but in the likelihood of us losing either or both Hield and Bogi (and Giles, since we are talking about a 7-foot tall passer), he could be an interesting project since it is unlikely we are anywhere close to being competitive.

Based on our track record, it's unclear that Sacramento will be the right place for a young prospect to flourish.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I really like Lewis, but the amount of LOL basketball we'd see might just be too much to take.
But... but they see him as a lead guard! You know after how good at SG Fox has looked so far it makes too much sense. NOT. Haha. I'm not buying it as of yet. I think someone is again trying to fluff up some value in their draft pick thinking when the Kings are in the lottery a mistake is bound to happen somewhere. Decent player from what I've seen but it could be a career killer for him here unless they blow the whole thing up. And if they do it better be on draft night, not after because after we know the score. Value drop after value drop because the team has too many square pegs and round holes.

1 - Vassell
2 - Bey
3 - Nesmith

but I watch mostly mid-major ball - so a very uninformed opinion.

Kings should grab Malik Fitts - SMC - with their last second rounder.

1 - Vassell
2 - Bey
3 - Nesmith

but I watch mostly mid-major ball - so a very uninformed opinion.

Kings should grab Malik Fitts - SMC - with their last second rounder.
Thx for bringing Fitts to my attention. I now see that he’s a beast with great potential. One critic said he never saw a shot he didn’t like. And so he takes his share of bad/low % shots. So what. That’s something they can work on.

Okoro would be awesome. If he's there and they go with a backup PG, we know we're in for a long haul.
You are really pushing this anti-PG position. I agree that it's less than ideal to take a PG, but not if they end up being the best player. Stop drafting for fit. Draft the best talent (I know it's not that simple, this is where talent evaluation comes in).

I'd rather draft another De'Aaron Fox and figure out the rest later, than I would Justin Jackson based on fit. Yes that's highly simplified but the principle remains.

Drafting another PG wouldn't be Kangz. Drafting based on "fit" and passing on a bigger talent would be Kangz, let's not get it twisted.

You are really pushing this anti-PG position. I agree that it's less than ideal to take a PG, but not if they end up being the best player. Stop drafting for fit. Draft the best talent (I know it's not that simple, this is where talent evaluation comes in).

I'd rather draft another De'Aaron Fox and figure out the rest later, than I would Justin Jackson based on fit. Yes that's highly simplified but the principle remains.

Drafting another PG wouldn't be Kangz. Drafting based on "fit" and passing on a bigger talent would be Kangz, let's not get it twisted.
And if you look at the Toronto backcourt - sometimes having two point guards makes them both better. Grab the guy who wants to be a stud, is willing to put in the work, and is afraid of no one on the court.

Corey Joseph is more a defensive PG and we are not likely to retain Yogi.

I don't understand the opposition to filling a coming void that would actually keep with the "planned" uptempo playstyle.

Seems shortsighted like panning for gold.

Not to mention that a number of the top point guards in this draft are tall enough to share the backcourt with Fox. If Haliburton or Hayes dropped to us and we didn’t take them, I’d be pissed.

1. PRECIOUS ACHIUWA- up tempo big that would give us two monsters in the PnR and in transition (with Bagley). Fox/Heild/Barnes/Achiuwa/Bagley would be an onslaught on offense to keep up with. I like this guys handles too for a big, he could even get cross-trained as a 3. Good defensive potential and awareness.
2. JALEN SMITH- I see Scottie Pippen in this guy in the long term if he worked on his agility and lateral quickness.
3. RJ HAMPTON- Confident, speed, playmaker, great backup point guard to keep up the pace while Fox sits.

Not at 12, but what do you think of Robert Woodard II?

Last edited:

This is the 12th pick in a weak draft which means chaos value wise. So, lets not get that twisted either. You're looking at it in a bubble and that's been this franchises undoing for years. Even prior to Vlade. That's the same thing that tricked people into thinking George Hill was one of the greatest pickups for Sacramento while some questioned how Fox fits in next to him or that Ben and Nik wouldn't get in each others way. Drafting another PG wouldn't be Kangz, the Kings will likely turn it into Kangz if history is any indication. In reality the Kings have probably killed more young careers than they've simply picked talent with poor potential.

Lewis could be the BPA, although plenty of mocks don't indicate it from what I've seen, but in this draft that doesn't really mean much. He could even end up the best talent IF he finds the situation to showcase it and we've heard everything you've mentioned before especially "WE WILL FIGURE IT OUT LATER" when it came to drafts and signings and watched it fail time and time again. I mean, that should be the slogan outside the arena. "FIGURE IT OUT LATER". Yet, they never seem to hmmmm... If the team were rebuilding then fine but drafting two players that have gaps in their game and likely don't fit together unless something unusual happens like having two players that aren't great perimeter threats or that lack swing size run your offense at the same time LOL. Not thinking of depth or position when you are talking about a lotto pick that isn't a clear cut superstar gets you, well, Papa G. Papa G who looked like a world beater on tape but you had a stuffed front court so even if he was you would NEVER find out. And in the end, shocker, he never got a real chance to show anything. Then multiple SG's last year when you had two already not getting a fair crack while getting paid or preparing to get paid while Bol Bol and Ignas are there. Heck they drafted Ignas. Size/shooting matters because they can find a role more easily even in a worst case scenario. Versatile players are one thing, but one position players that play basically the same way as your "franchise" player is going to put the player ending up on the bottom of that internal competition in a rough spot. I guess we still haven't learned our lesson about Fox playing off the ball? Even if he were able to develop there is that the best usage for him anyway?

That said with this draft in particular. Ball, or Haliburton types are different. They can run offense but they have size and other intangibles so that it could work. This is the same reason why Fox/Doncic wouldn't have been a guarantee to fail although I do think Vlade was right in some ways, there was no way Luka and Fox reach their personal PRODUCTION ceilings side by side as growing young players. Of course in time it could have brought titles so... I was all in on Luka last year being the pick and Bagley as the only other option if they took a turn based on fit but that was easy, Bagley was obvioulsy rated higher by some teams than Luka in the end. We'll see how Bagley does now because it's almost infamy time for the poor kid. It was the same story with Donovan Mitchell. He was a legit combo G which makes a world of difference although, there is still only one ball. I was fine with him because of that versatility.

I know it’s an atypical year and unusual draft but has anybody heard any rumblings on players the Kings are looking at or interviewing?
Is McNair unusually quiet? Im hearing mention of players saying they have talked with other teams.... curious as we are only one week away from the draft.

This is the 12th pick in a weak draft which means chaos value wise. So, lets not get that twisted either. You're looking at it in a bubble and that's been this franchises undoing for years. Even prior to Vlade. That's the same thing that tricked people into thinking George Hill was one of the greatest pickups for Sacramento while some questioned how Fox fits in next to him or that Ben and Nik wouldn't get in each others way. Drafting another PG wouldn't be Kangz, the Kings will likely turn it into Kangz if history is any indication. In reality the Kings have probably killed more young careers than they've simply picked talent with poor potential.

Lewis could be the BPA, although plenty of mocks don't indicate it from what I've seen, but in this draft that doesn't really mean much. He could even end up the best talent IF he finds the situation to showcase it and we've heard everything you've mentioned before especially "WE WILL FIGURE IT OUT LATER" when it came to drafts and signings and watched it fail time and time again. I mean, that should be the slogan outside the arena. "FIGURE IT OUT LATER". Yet, they never seem to hmmmm... If the team were rebuilding then fine but drafting two players that have gaps in their game and likely don't fit together unless something unusual happens like having two players that aren't great perimeter threats or that lack swing size run your offense at the same time LOL. Not thinking of depth or position when you are talking about a lotto pick that isn't a clear cut superstar gets you, well, Papa G. Papa G who looked like a world beater on tape but you had a stuffed front court so even if he was you would NEVER find out. And in the end, shocker, he never got a real chance to show anything. Then multiple SG's last year when you had two already not getting a fair crack while getting paid or preparing to get paid while Bol Bol and Ignas are there. Heck they drafted Ignas. Size/shooting matters because they can find a role more easily even in a worst case scenario. Versatile players are one thing, but one position players that play basically the same way as your "franchise" player is going to put the player ending up on the bottom of that internal competition in a rough spot. I guess we still haven't learned our lesson about Fox playing off the ball? Even if he were able to develop there is that the best usage for him anyway?

That said with this draft in particular. Ball, or Haliburton types are different. They can run offense but they have size and other intangibles so that it could work. This is the same reason why Fox/Doncic wouldn't have been a guarantee to fail although I do think Vlade was right in some ways, there was no way Luka and Fox reach their personal PRODUCTION ceilings side by side as growing young players. Of course in time it could have brought titles so... I was all in on Luka last year being the pick and Bagley as the only other option if they took a turn based on fit but that was easy, Bagley was obvioulsy rated higher by some teams than Luka in the end. We'll see how Bagley does now because it's almost infamy time for the poor kid. It was the same story with Donovan Mitchell. He was a legit combo G which makes a world of difference although, there is still only one ball. I was fine with him because of that versatility.

OK, you have conflated many different issues there, I don't want to go picking apart your post point by point as we're not going to agree regardless. I will say a couple of things and try to keep this short. The likes of McLemore, Stauskas, Papa G etc didn't fail because we already had players at their position, they failed because they're not good. Two of those guys are already out of the league, and Ben has made a career for himself but hasn't exactly gotten much better.

Have we sucked at developing talent? Yep. It's not relevant to current draft strategy however, unless you want to just give up and throw in the towel. Same goes for "figuring it out later", it's not really relevant, this is a new front office and they're not responsible for previous front office incompetence.

Every player in this draft has weaknesses, there is no perfect fit.

Bol Bol/Ignas doesn't even make sense in this context because they would have been best talent available. That is a talent evaluation issue, not a philosophy issue.

I'm not even set on Lewis, I'm just making the point that drafting based on team need over talent, is a recipe for disaster and is well documented going back decades. And yet every year it happens, with our very own Kings being the most recent example (Bagley over Luka based on fit) of how exactly to set your team back 10 years. There's a lesson to be learned alright.

OK, you have conflated many different issues there, I don't want to go picking apart your post point by point as we're not going to agree regardless. I will say a couple of things and try to keep this short. The likes of McLemore, Stauskas, Papa G etc didn't fail because we already had players at their position, they failed because they're not good. Two of those guys are already out of the league, and Ben has made a career for himself but hasn't exactly gotten much better.

Have we sucked at developing talent? Yep. It's not relevant to current draft strategy however, unless you want to just give up and throw in the towel. Same goes for "figuring it out later", it's not really relevant, this is a new front office and they're not responsible for previous front office incompetence.

Bol Bol/Ignas doesn't even make sense in this context because they would have been best talent available. That is a talent evaluation issue, not a philosophy issue.

I'm not even set on Lewis, I'm just making the point that drafting based on team need over talent, is a recipe for disaster and is well documented going back decades. And yet every year it happens, with our very own Kings being the most recent example (Bagley over Luka based on fit) of how exactly to set your team back 10 years. There's a lesson to be learned alright.
Thank the stars it’s a new front office. I’m looking so forward to next weeks draft and getting an idea of their method.
The interesting thing about this draft and picking 12 is the question of going best player or need is so heavily blurred I don’t believe I could get worked up either way. For now I trust McNair and company will know how to sort it.

Thank the stars it’s a new front office. I’m looking so forward to next weeks draft and getting an idea of their method.
The interesting thing about this draft and picking 12 is the question of going best player or need is so heavily blurred I don’t believe I could get worked up either way. For now I trust McNair and company will know how to sort it.
That's exactly it, at 12 there is no concensus, nor should the concensus (if there were one) automatically be who we pick. This will come down to talent evaluation, they have pretty much confirmed that their philosophy is BPA, so we will find out how good they are at that.

Hard to believe the draft is only a week away, I need to set a reminder.

They satisfied both. They fit the criteria I laid out above and as far as BPA again, it's relative, it's the 2nd round. Clearly the players they chose DID NOT fit even though there's time for them still. That's the issue though. Specifically targeting players that DON'T FIT and waiting and seeing. Ignoring that correlation to the development of these players is exactly why unless that player is an obvious choice and of a talent level that automatically pushes them in front of their competition you will continuously see players not getting a real chance. That's the other issue, opportunity, not players simply sucking. Remember Dedmon, Hill, and a few other signings also just "sucked". At some point the franchise is clearly the problem. Many of the players they drafted might have ended up sucking just as bad but in the end, they weren't even able to maintain some level of value as an asset because they didn't fit. When you start tumbling into the back of the lottery and beyond fit becomes more and more pertinent unless some major talent drops for some reason and then why not's start entering the equation. Even then, you need to either clear a path for them or keep expectations low. Size, athletic ability, defense, and shooting ability are skills that can at least minimize those issues and I see plenty of all the above at or around the Kings pick according to most mocks. If they look at a Kira Lewis and see the next De'Aaron Fox then good, get something great for the one you have already before time starts chopping away at the value of both pieces. They could always beat the odds but my goodness, from day 1 they've stuck Fox in these 2 PG debacles with the same basic result in tow. If this is how the franchise will continue to think then this team ever becoming relevant is largely based on nothing but luck.

That's exactly it, at 12 there is no concensus, nor should the concensus (if there were one) automatically be who we pick. This will come down to talent evaluation, they have pretty much confirmed that their philosophy is BPA, so we will find out how good they are at that.

Hard to believe the draft is only a week away, I need to set a reminder.
One thing we will see for sure is an understanding of draft value. Vlade was known to at least try and get something for his pick when he didn't like what he saw up higher. To his credit he was always very active if need be. He certainly wiped his backside with 2nd round picks he liked to horde though.

One thing we will see for sure is an understanding of draft value. Vlade was known to at least try and get something for his pick when he didn't like what he saw up higher. To his credit he was always very active if need be. He certainly wiped his backside with 2nd round picks he liked to horde though.
The second round picks is where we’re gonna be able to tell what kinda talent evaluator McNair is imo