Sayonara Buddy...Looks like he wants out, Philly deal

Honestly im open to trading buddy and even bagley and bogie to upgrade. I would try to target Beal (long shot I know) with Buddy, change and the 12th and go after myles turner using Bogie (in a S/T) and maybe another piece perhaps using another (S/T with giles or upright for bogie/bagley for turner and maybe doug McDermott). Too many malcontents on this team an others with potential who are always injured.

Buddy will only get better? He’s going on 28, he is what he is.
Getting better for him has everything to do with usage. Look at the one dimensional catch and shoot guys this post season that are lighting up the league. Buddy is better than all of them. Giving up on Buddy could be way worse than giving up on Cuz when they did if he goes to a team where he's used right.

Getting better for him has everything to do with usage. Look at the one dimensional catch and shoot guys this post season that are lighting up the league. Buddy is better than all of them. Giving up on Buddy could be way worse than giving up on Cuz when they did if he goes to a team where he's used right.
Well what is the mechanism to use him correctly on this team. I think kings fans are prisoners of our own failures (team failures not personal). We are so scared to lose players that hace not helped sniff the playoffs while we had them. Buddy makes bonehead plays. Thats who he is. How much has he helped you win? He shoots the ball well sure. But he turns the ball over and his man nearly always beats him too. You absolutely cannot trust him in clutch situations (except the occasional buzzer beater). He 90% of the time makes a bonehead play when asked to make a decision. That would all be ok if he was willing to accept his role as the knock down spot up shooter but he wants to start and wants to have the ball. He thinks he is the best player on this team. He is not even the best SG on this team. You have his contract in your pocket for the next 3 years. Move it for an upgrade (even if the player isnt a better shooter so long as he can shoot and doesnt make dumb plays all the time). Its all we and good to be worried about losing him, but the kings are in control of his destiny. Its time we remember that and realize that in 3 years with him we haven't done jack.

Well what is the mechanism to use him correctly on this team. I think kings fans are prisoners of our own failures (team failures not personal). We are so scared to lose players that hace not helped sniff the playoffs while we had them. Buddy makes bonehead plays. Thats who he is. How much has he helped you win? He shoots the ball well sure. But he turns the ball over and his man nearly always beats him too. You absolutely cannot trust him in clutch situations (except the occasional buzzer beater). He 90% of the time makes a bonehead play when asked to make a decision. That would all be ok if he was willing to accept his role as the knock down spot up shooter but he wants to start and wants to have the ball. He thinks he is the best player on this team. He is not even the best SG on this team. You have his contract in your pocket for the next 3 years. Move it for an upgrade (even if the player isnt a better shooter so long as he can shoot and doesnt make dumb plays all the time). Its all we and good to be worried about losing him, but the kings are in control of his destiny. Its time we remember that and realize that in 3 years with him we haven't done jack.
He already asked for that mechanism back last December, catch and shoot. And the stats disagree with much of what you bring up. Who knows where the team tops out but the top 5 man groups almost all have the name Hield in them according to the advanced stats when look look at the units that actually got a real chance. Also, he turns the ball over? Yeah, but it's not nearly as bad as it looks. This year he had a positive assist/TO ratio at 3 to 2.3. That's far, far from the Kings killer. The mechanism is use him to his strengths and if you want to or need to flip him THEN flip him. The Kings can't continuously keep dumping assets that they themselves destroyed while at the bottom of their market. I hope Mcnair realizes how close this is to becoming a modern day Isaiah Thomas Knicks level disaster with shorter contracts. He has no choice at this point but to have his coach shine up those assets at the very least. If winning happens gravy. With this team it could. They are talented and somewhat deep in the ways teams are succeeding these days. We'll know very shortly whether they start to play that way or not. If not then holding onto Walton was a huge fail and you're headed for another mid-season change and wasted time.

The Hawks are shopping their first-round pick and intend to push for the playoffs, according to multiple league sources. Expect them to also be aggressive in free agency; the franchise wants to win now and capitalize on Trae Young’s emergence. DeRozan could serve as a secondary on-ball creator next to Young. It’s not a perfect trade or fit, but this type of construct could be what Atlanta is immediately looking for. Selecting Williams, who is receiving top-10 hype from teams, would also give them an upside scorer at the forward position.

4 hours ago – via nbadraft.theringer.co

So Pick#6 and Huerter (Cheap rookie that can shoot) for Buddy

Hawks have the cap space, get their SG for the push

Kings get salary relief to sign Bogie and Len, plus a cheap backup SG, and a #6 pick(C-Okongwu) and we still have #12 pick(SF- Bey,Vassell,Nesmith)

PG Fox,Cojo, Guy
SG Bogie, Huerter, James
SF Barnes, Bey, Jeffries
PF Bagley, Bjelly,Parker
C Holmes,Okongwu,Len

I Like it!

Last edited:
The Hawks are shopping their first-round pick and intend to push for the playoffs, according to multiple league sources. Expect them to also be aggressive in free agency; the franchise wants to win now and capitalize on Trae Young’s emergence. DeRozan could serve as a secondary on-ball creator next to Young. It’s not a perfect trade or fit, but this type of construct could be what Atlanta is immediately looking for. Selecting Williams, who is receiving top-10 hype from teams, would also give them an upside scorer at the forward position.

4 hours ago – via nbadraft.theringer.co

So Pick#6 and Huerter (Cheap rookie that can shoot) for Buddy

Hawks have the cap space, get their SG for the push

Kings get salary relief to sign Bogie and Len, plus a cheap backup SG, and a #6 pick(C-Okongwu) and we still have #12 pick(SF- Bey,Vassell,Nesmith)

PG Fox,Cojo, Guy
SG Bogie, Huerter, James
SF Barnes, Bey, Jeffries
PF Bagley, Bjelly,Parker
C Holmes,Okongwu,Len

I Like it!
If I was the Hawks GM I'd hang up the phone. I'd refuse the deal even if we included the 12 pick back to them, that's how far off I find the trade.

his contact is terrible for what he offers on the court if we're serious about getting better just cut him loose for whatever expiring contracts and or picks we can get.

I'd be worried if they try and throw mid level guys at this team thinking they can make the playoffs.

Blow it up.

sure I have issues with Buddy but damn the takes here. I guess we've settled on him as whipping boy/scape goat now? Maybe that means MB3 can have a breakout year :D
They aren't watching the playoffs lately. Players not nearly as good as Buddy in the same areas are helping take teams to the freaking finals. If Buddy were trying to take over and do things he isn't capable of fine, but the coach is the one that put him in the spot he was in last year.

Morey joined the club in Philly. Now we'll see if McNair is a chump or not. LOL. Philly doing some interesting things here. Kings? They'll keep doing the bargain shopping thank you very much.

I think trading Buddy is one of the worst ideas out there. Does he have things to work on? Absolutely. Is he such a detriment to the team that we have to get him out of here as fast as possible? Absolutely not. The man is Curry level with 3s that can put you up by double digits, or bring you back from double digits in a split second. Sure he needs some work with situational defensive/offensive awareness and a more clearly defined role, but that is what a coach is for.

I think trading Buddy is one of the worst ideas out there. Does he have things to work on? Absolutely. Is he such a detriment to the team that we have to get him out of here as fast as possible? Absolutely not. The man is Curry level with 3s that can put you up by double digits, or bring you back from double digits in a split second. Sure he needs some work with situational defensive/offensive awareness and a more clearly defined role, but that is what a coach is for.
What's annoying is we have a coach who saw how Buddy was used correctly by Joerger, then turned around and used him completely incorrectly.

That coach is still coaching the Kings and Buddy.

What's annoying is we have a coach who saw how Buddy was used correctly by Joerger, then turned around and used him completely incorrectly.

That coach is still coaching the Kings and Buddy.
Yeah, Joerger used him better but Joerger was an old school think the game out from the neck up just like Luke is that doesn't realize the game is what it is. You have the tools, use them, get out of the way, or get lost. Shooters with quick triggers are insanely valuable right now. And while Joerger had probably one of the best in the game he was yelling at that same player for single handedly dragging his muddy butt up from his sinkhole after hitting a huge shot while the world was watching LOL. Better is a relative thing, haha.

Last edited:
True but trading him now also means low value. If he is willing to stay, use him right, build him back up and flip him. That's how competent franchises do things.

True but trading him now also means low value. If he is willing to stay, use him right, build him back up and flip him. That's how competent franchises do things.
100%. I think we’re in a really tricky spot with Buddy. 2019 Buddy is probably worth a good amount in the market but his value has absolutely cratered. It’s hard to trust Luke figuring out how to use him correctly but maybe the FO and new staff can help get him back in the right direction. My gut also says Bogi won’t be back - probably S&T but I could be wrong. But if Bogi *is* gone and Buddy comes back to form I think he’s a great asset.

As much as I like Buddy I think the best case scenario is get him playing well to start the season and wait until we get an offer that includes either a good 1st round pick or a good young prospect + some change. If the ship *has* sailed with him you still don’t trade him now. He’s under contract for a while and his value is probably as low as it will ever be, barring injury.

I think you sit on him and wait for someone to get desperate and send a crazy good offer for him. If he’s back to shooting 8+ 3s on 42%+ that offer *will* come in sooner or later, you just have to be patient

I also wonder if Buddy to the Warriors could work. He obviously helps add to their firepower and could work well in their system.

Warriors have the #2 overall this year, their own 1st 2021, and Minny’s top-3 protected 1st 2021

We’ve got #12 this year, Buddy, Belly, Barnes, and possibly a Bogi s&t.

I feel like there’s a trade in there that works for both teams. #2 this year is likely off the table but GSW’s 2021 is for sure available. I feel like some combo of those players might be enough to get that Minny pick as well. Maybe not, but I feel like that’s the type of deal that works best (Buddy + one other guy for a weak 1st + strong first)

I also wonder if Buddy to the Warriors could work. He obviously helps add to their firepower and could work well in their system.

Warriors have the #2 overall this year, their own 1st 2021, and Minny’s top-3 protected 1st 2021

We’ve got #12 this year, Buddy, Belly, Barnes, and possibly a Bogi s&t.

I feel like there’s a trade in there that works for both teams. #2 this year is likely off the table but GSW’s 2021 is for sure available. I feel like some combo of those players might be enough to get that Minny pick as well. Maybe not, but I feel like that’s the type of deal that works best (Buddy + one other guy for a weak 1st + strong first)
Ick. If Curry and Klay come back to 50% of themselves you just created possibly the greatest shooting team of all time and one that will haunt the Kings within the window they need to be competing in within the next few years if they ride with Bagley/Fox. Just can't do it.

Ick. If Curry and Klay come back to 50% of themselves you just created possibly the greatest shooting team of all time and one that will haunt the Kings within the window they need to be competing in within the next few years if they ride with Bagley/Fox. Just can't do it.
My feeling is that team would be more gimmicky than the old pre-Durant Warriors just to not having the depth and diversity of talent. Initially I thought about including Barnes which makes it way more attractive to GSW but is seemingly impossible salary cap wise.

Really I’m spitballing about how we could end up flipping out current talent for a haul of draft picks and the Warriors seem like one of the most logical partners for that.

Ha I would love to see Buddy on the same team as Klay and Steph. Firstly learning to move off the ball and run offense to get himself open, secondly WHO ARE YOU GOING TO STICK TO? Pick your poison.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
We would have to send CoJo out too, to make the salary work.

But seriously, Russ is owed about $132M for his age 32-34 seasons. His advanced stats have been falling off real hard the last two years. We'd be asking the team to put out something like 40%+ of its salary cap on an aging player who relies on athleticism and can't shoot? All while we need to drop big money to keep Fox and, presumably, Bagley? Sounds like a recipe for KANGZ.