Walton

I know what has been said, "Luke is our coach for this season." Covid, bleeding, owners cash call, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.

But a story in the news media about the coach and player not communicating when both have multi-million dollar contracts is unacceptable IMO.

It is a players league so IMO this falls on Walton. He is supposed to be the wiser more mature person who is getting paid big bucks to handle these "difficult" personalities.

IMO this is more evidence that Walton needs to be an assistant on some NBA team other than the Kings or coaching college ball.

If it is going to be a wasted year anyway hire a developmental coach and go with young players.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
But a story in the news media about the coach and player not communicating when both have multi-million dollar contracts is unacceptable IMO.

It is a players league so IMO this falls on Walton. He is supposed to be the wiser more mature person who is getting paid big bucks to handle these "difficult" personalities.
If I understand the reports correctly, they claim that Buddy Hield has stopped returning Walton's phone calls. If correct, this isn't a case of "coach and player not communicating", it's a case of "player not communicating". Walton can be as wise and as mature and be paid as many bucks as you want, but if he's been ghosted, he's been ghosted. There isn't much he can do about it. I don't see why we should hold it against him.

If I understand the reports correctly, they claim that Buddy Hield has stopped returning Walton's phone calls. If correct, this isn't a case of "coach and player not communicating", it's a case of "player not communicating". Walton can be as wise and as mature and be paid as many bucks as you want, but if he's been ghosted, he's been ghosted. There isn't much he can do about it. I don't see why we should hold it against him.
IMO I not only hold what you describe against him, but also outing the story to the media. Airing problems such as this in the media should be a breach of contract.

IMO I not only hold what you describe against him, but also outing the story to the media. Airing problems such as this in the media should be a breach of contract.
Did the article say Walton was the source of info? There are many scenarios where another party, even in buddy’s camp could have leaked it.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Was Walton the source of the story? Sounds like your trying to make the story fit your agenda. Hield had so called communication problems with Joerger as well. Could be the problem lies with him.

I know what has been said, "Luke is our coach for this season." Covid, bleeding, owners cash call, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda.

It is a players league so IMO this falls on Walton.
I call shenanigans.

It’s a players league when the player is a superstar. Buddy Hield is not a superstar. In fact, Walton is doing the right thing with him. Bogdan is the superior player. It’s not Walton’s fault Hield’s contract is what it is. His job is to field the best lineups. Buddy’s lack of defense, ball handling and play making skills limit his effectiveness as a starter.

IMO, at this point in time, his best role is Lou Williams 6th man scorer off the bench.

He’s not a franchise level player. He’s not even the team’s best player. So if he doesn’t like it, tough.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s time for Buddy to leave and if this is true story, that’s just one more reason for it.
He kept pushing to get his money and then failed to deliver massively last season. He’s constantly involved in some kind of issue (wants more money, wants the ball in crunch time, wants the starting lineup, etc.) and he keeps using media to raise his voice. As a player, you need to earn something in this league before you can even think to behave like that, at least IMO.

I like Buddy but Buddy is so far in the wrong here. He got paid and is being asked to play a role, he has a few seasons to earn his spot back rather than taking it to the media or outside the team. I say shut up and earn it back.

Walton isn't long for this team anyways. I just strongly suspect they want to tear down some pieces, have Walton take the hit, and then bring in the new guy with a clean slate. I suspect that when McNair pulls the trigger it won't be a splashy name but a high level assistant he's had an eye on for a while and/or has a personal relationship with. He can start making the team in that image while Walton piles up the Ls. I almost feel bad for Walton here because a year ago it seemed he was taking the reigns of a team on the up and now he's going to be part of an executive level 20 win campaign.

I understand Buddy was critical of Gentry as well. As mentioned above Buddy hasn’t had a good relationship with a coach since Kruger.
Seems to be an ongoing issue.
Buddy apparently got pissed at Vlade as well, because he thought he should’ve received more money. So by extension, he was unhappy with his agent as well.

People that Buddy has beefed with (that we know of):
1. Gentry.
2. Joeger.
3. Vlade.
4. Walton.

Seems to be a pattern.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Buddy's probably wondering how a holdover coach handpicked by the previous GM who just got burned at the stake isn't a ghost already when it comes to the team he plays for. He has to remember who he plays for.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I call shenanigans.

It’s a players league when the player is a superstar. Buddy Hield is not a superstar. In fact, Walton is doing the right thing with him. Bogdan is the superior player. It’s not Walton’s fault Hield’s contract is what it is. His job is to field the best lineups. Buddy’s lack of defense, ball handling and play making skills limit his effectiveness as a starter.

IMO, at this point in time, his best role is Lou Williams 6th man scorer off the bench.

He’s not a franchise level player. He’s not even the team’s best player. So if he doesn’t like it, tough.
I think you underestimate what the league has become. Like, seriously. And if you pay someone even the money Buddy got, you associated a level of value with that player. If you're winning while overpaying that player for the role you put them in fine, if not, have fun on your multiyear plan of running through various coaches and GM's trying to recoup value and fix your cap because clearly you don't know what the **** you're doing. Gee, sounds familiar.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Buddy apparently got pissed at Vlade as well, because he thought he should’ve received more money. So by extension, he was unhappy with his agent as well.

People that Buddy has beefed with (that we know of):
1. Gentry.
2. Joeger.
3. Vlade.
4. Walton.

Seems to be a pattern.
Actually I don't remember hearing that anything major was developing between them back then. Buddy was struggling and not happy with his role I'm sure but it sounded like Gentry was bringing him along slowly. Then before long he was obviously traded here.

https://fansided.com/2017/01/13/buddy-hield-new-orleans-pelicans-rhythm/

“I feel like Coach always had my back, said I was going to figure it out,” Hield said. “And once he saw a couple of games with progression, he kept me at it, and now you start to see where you’re going.”

Buddy may actually be one of the reasons Gentry has drawn interest from the Kings in preparation of the eventual Walton firing.

As someone who supports Buddy, I'm frankly indifferent at this point. If Buddy gets traded, it will be the Kings loss, I guarantee it. He will go on to become a valuable piece on a playoff team (at the very least as a knock down shooter) while we continue to spin our wheels with mediocre coaches and bust draft picks. Bagley is going to be traded or allowed to walk or something in 2-3 years once people realise that there's no value in waiting around for a injury-prone big who can't shoot. We probably make it to near the end of Fox's extension before trading him as well in yet another "rebuild".

Luke Walton ain't leading us to the playoffs.

Actually I don't remember hearing that anything major was developing between them back then. Buddy was struggling and not happy with his role I'm sure but it sounded like Gentry was bringing him along slowly. Then before long he was obviously traded here.

https://fansided.com/2017/01/13/buddy-hield-new-orleans-pelicans-rhythm/

“I feel like Coach always had my back, said I was going to figure it out,” Hield said. “And once he saw a couple of games with progression, he kept me at it, and now you start to see where you’re going.”

Buddy may actually be one of the reasons Gentry has drawn interest from the Kings in preparation of the eventual Walton firing.
“Now, a potential snag did emerge Thursday night, when ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Alvin Gentry might be up for a spot on Rivers' coaching staff. Hield played for Gentry back in New Orleans as a rookie and second-year player, and after he was traded to Sacramento, Hield didn't have entirely complimentary things to say about the way Gentry used him.”

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_3360262d-4675-53ae-aeaf-8f5a5ab1c7a4.html
https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-buddy-hield-seems-162336288.html

Buddy’s issue with Walton is in how he’s used. Sound familiar? Only difference is Buddy ain’t a rookie anymore.

I'm sorry for repeating myself here.
With regard to Buddy being unhappy- the major reason is that Buddy sees himself as 1. STARTER in the NBA, and in the game at 2. crunch time.
Until you make Buddy a starter here, he will be unhappy. Secondly, does anyone remember on March 8th, when down by 3 with the ball, and 13.7 seconds left-Luke sat the 3 point champion. To me, this was unforgiveable.
https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/03/0...conds-kings-leave-buddy-hield-on-bench-video/
Those are the 2 reasons I know of that are making Buddy unhappy. Make Buddy the starter please and play him during crunch time next year. And how can you pay a guy $20 mill per year-starting next year for 4 years-in Sacramento and justify not believing in him enough to make him your starter and crunch time player. If this doesn't change, Buddy will continue to be dis-gruntled and he will push a trade and the Kings will have to trade at a discount to relative value.

I say package buddy, bagley and the 12th and make a play for beal. Keep giles and len and bazemore. Buddy is not worth the headache. He doesn't win you games (in fact, his bone head plays probably cost us some close ones) so who cares how great a shooter he is if that doesn't translate into win. Bagley cant stay on the court so his potential means nothing other than making us sick for Luca. Hell, id take zach levine for buddy straight up at this point. Just move him for someone useful.

I say package buddy, bagley and the 12th and make a play for beal. Keep giles and len and bazemore. Buddy is not worth the headache. He doesn't win you games (in fact, his bone head plays probably cost us some close ones) so who cares how great a shooter he is if that doesn't translate into win. Bagley cant stay on the court so his potential means nothing other than making us sick for Luca. Hell, id take zach levine for buddy straight up at this point. Just move him for someone useful.
It all boils down to what you make of this season. Is this the Buddy you're going to get for the next 4 years, or was this season an abberation with him being misused etc.? I would not be so ready to say he doesn't win you games when 1) he has actually singlehandedly shot us back into many games, 2) he has also made very costly turnovers like you said, 3) was second in win-shares last season, but pretty bad this season.

The issue is really that we gave him a big contract. We know hard-work is not the issue with Buddy, which means either you projected his potential wrongly or you're not putting him in a position to live up to that potential. Personally I think it's a bit of both. Ultimately, winning solves everything. The team is not a good one, nor is the coach.

I think you underestimate what the league has become.
No, I don’t believe I have.

I stand by what I said. If a player isn’t a franchise level player, or at least an all-NBA 1st or 2nd team type, most franchises aren’t going to cater to them.

To prove the point, the KINGS surely didn’t care what Buddy Hield wanted. They played him off the bench last season because that’s what they wanted. And that’ll likely continue if Bogie is re-signed.

He is not. He has all the same on court deficiencies as Buddy and is an inferior shooter/scorer.
Um, yes he is. What the hell have you been watching?

Buddy is the better streak shooter, but Bogie is better in pretty much every other notable category.

Bogie can run the team. Buddy couldn’t do that in a million years.
Bogie can create his own shot. Without dribbling it off his knee. Most every KINGS fan knows Buddy can’t do the same.
Bogie can create for others, specifically in the PnR, and is an adept passer. Do I really need to say more?

Again, I have no clue what you’ve been watching the past few seasons.

Buddy is the better streak shooter, but Bogie is better in pretty much every other notable category.

Bogie can create his own shot. Without dribbling it off his knee. Most every KINGS fan knows Buddy can’t do the same.
Bogie can create for others, specifically in the PnR, and is an adept passer. Do I really need to say more?

You seem to have conveniently forgotten just how bad Bogi was last season.

I don't see this as a Buddy vs Bogi thing. Both players have their roles. I'm not discussing Bogi here. Buddy specifically shoots the three at a real high rate.

In an era where the three pointer is valuable Walton can't seem to utilize Buddy as well as Joerger did.

We all have seen Walton scheme to have Buddy bring the ball up the floor and handle it in Iso situations.

Walton is putting Buddy in his weakest role IMO. Why does Walton insist on having Buddy do what he is not good at????

If Buddy is traded to a team with a good coach like say Carlisle Buddy will be shooting a lot of threes from set positions and being run off one, two and even three picks to get wide open looks.

I don't see this as a Buddy vs Bogi thing. Both players have their roles. I'm not discussing Bogi here. Buddy specifically shoots the three at a real high rate.

In an era where the three pointer is valuable Walton can't seem to utilize Buddy as well as Joerger did.

We all have seen Walton scheme to have Buddy bring the ball up the floor and handle it in Iso situations.

Walton is putting Buddy in his weakest role IMO. Why does Walton insist on having Buddy do what he is not good at????

If Buddy is traded to a team with a good coach like say Carlisle Buddy will be shooting a lot of threes from set positions and being run off one, two and even three picks to get wide open looks.
Buddy is a cancer. I think his teammates like him as a person, but not as a teammate. It's all about Buddy and he's not accountable.

Walton puts him in those positions to make him a better player. His 3 pt shooting is worthless in a playoff series if he can't do anything else. First thing a team will do is take away his 3 pt shot.

There was a Boston writer that had buddy/barnes for haywood, kanter, theis and griz 2020 pick. I do that in a heartbeat.

Pound, pound, pound, brick, brick, brick.

Don't get the obsession with mediocre 28 year olds. Bogdan does nothing for us going forward except keep us a treadmill team in the 11th seed; we need to get rid of the Vlade stink and part of it is getting off the treadmill team trajectory.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
“Now, a potential snag did emerge Thursday night, when ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski reported that Alvin Gentry might be up for a spot on Rivers' coaching staff. Hield played for Gentry back in New Orleans as a rookie and second-year player, and after he was traded to Sacramento, Hield didn't have entirely complimentary things to say about the way Gentry used him.”

https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/article_3360262d-4675-53ae-aeaf-8f5a5ab1c7a4.html

Buddy’s issue with Walton is in how he’s used. Sound familiar? Only difference is Buddy ain’t a rookie anymore.

''You know in New Orleans sometimes I'd play the first quarter and play the third quarter and I don't see the second or fourth,'' Hield told reporters that was videotaped by the Sacramento Bee. ''It was inconsistent at times.
''But that just happens in (your) rookie season and you never know what you are going to get. So hopefully I come in here and get consistent time and show everybody what I can do.''

That's nothing. Gentry didn't use him right either at first though so there is that but prior to the trade things started turning towards Buddy's favor. I still don't count that as some major issue. Even Joerger wasn't a major issue despite him openly drawing the attention of the league and media himself after that Buddy shot. What's happening here is of a new level. This is getting close to Karl/Cuz territory. Buddy isn't Cuz though but not realizing what happened last season and why it happened and just waiting sure might turn him into something close. Problem here is you JUST SIGNED THE DUDE.

Now, if there are issues and they are going out of their way to bring in Gentry while sitting on Buddy and keeping Walton. Well, be scared Kings fans. Somebody is clearly sabotaging something here. Or this franchise just needs to change the teams name full on to the Sacramento Kangz.

Last edited: