Re-cast Black Panther?

dude12

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I just watched BP last week for the first time. I just don’t think they can recast......but if they do, that person has big shoes to fill.

Some characters HAVE been recast and it’s worked but I think when an actor has completely nailed the role to where that actor/actress IS identified with the character....makes it tough.

Cant see another in the role unless they transition it on film to the new person on film being handed the role....kind of like Captain America going to Anthony Mackey if that is going to happen.

Christian Bale nailed Batman, followed by Ben Affleck who just can’t measure up
Robert Downey IS Ironman.

But I never thought anyone could come close to Heath Ledger’s Joker but Joaquin Phoenix was outstanding.

Yeah, I just watched BP last week for the first time. I just don’t think they can recast......but if they do, that person has big shoes to fill.

Some characters HAVE been recast and it’s worked but I think when an actor has completely nailed the role to where that actor/actress IS identified with the character....makes it tough.

Cant see another in the role unless they transition it on film to the new person on film being handed the role....kind of like Captain America going to Anthony Mackey if that is going to happen.

But I never thought anyone could come close to Heath Ledger’s Joker but Joaquin Phoenix was outstanding.
it was a movie that I thought was good, but I thought overhyped when I first saw it. But the more I watch it the more I really like it.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member

I liked Heath Ledger's Joker better as the "Joker" in the DC universe but I thought Joaquin Phoenix brought a "different take" of the Joker to life in an incredible way. I just choose not to think of them as the same character. :)

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
The Black Panther movie set up a mechanism to transfer the title of King of Wakanda and thus the hero Black Panther that does not require T'Chaka T'Challa to be the permanent Black Panther. I think they could honor Boseman by allowing T'Chaka T'Challa to fall honorably or sacrifice himself to a greater cause and then transfer the Kingdom to a new King that assumes the Black Panther mantle.

There's no need for a recast or reboot of the role. It's an important character and series to many people. I think this is one case where you truly can have your cake and eat it too.

Last edited:
The Black Panther movie set up a mechanism to transfer the title of King of Wakanda and thus the hero Black Panther that does not require T'Chaka to be the permanent Black Panther. I think they could honor Boseman by allowing T'Chaka to fall honorably or sacrifice himself to a greater cause and then transfer the Kingdom to a new King that assumes the Black Panther mantle.

There's no need for a recast or reboot of the role. It's an important character and series to many people. I think this is one case where you truly can have your cake and eat it too.
yes, this is not Willie Mays Hayes we are talking about here.

Interesting premise.
I don't think BP should be recast at all. It's a shame Erik Stevens dies though, because there could be a rewrite with a redemption arc for him to take over.
Unfortunately (for Marvel) Boseman had a combination of warmth and strength that made him believable as both King AND Black Panther. I don't envy them at all - there's no right way to do this.

Last edited: