TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

LOL. My wife was all into it, then at the last 15 min mark goes “ok well you lost me” . Will be surprised if I get 1 more episode out of her. I like it
Yep, the wife isn’t really into this type of show.....especially after the twist. I mean I like this type of stuff. From The post episode scenes preview for the remainder of the season, I have no idea where it’s going and how it’s getting there.

Yep, the wife isn’t really into this type of show.....especially after the twist. I mean I like this type of stuff. From The post episode scenes preview for the remainder of the season, I have no idea where it’s going and how it’s getting there.
Yup, once I saw Abrams and Peele were attached I knew it was going to be up my alley. Can’t wait to see how it progresses

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yellowstone finale was bonkers
If the new season doesn't start out with Rip getting out of the shower and telling Beth he just had the weirdest dream, I may lose it. This whole season has been an incredible ride and I cannot wait until next season, even though right now I want nothing more than to strangle all the writers. ;)

If the new season doesn't start out with Rip getting out of the shower and telling Beth he just had the weirdest dream, I may lose it. This whole season has been an incredible ride and I cannot wait until next season, even though right now I want nothing more than to strangle all the writers. ;)
LOL

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Hey all - looking for recommendations on things to watch with the better half.

My wife and I have somewhat different tastes in movies/TV - I am more Firefly, Expanse, and Jack Ryan while she is more Hallmark, House Hunters, and Grey's Anatomy (but she really doesn't like the more gory doctor stuff). Somewhere in between those extremes we both enjoyed Blacklist, Blindspot, and even Downton Abbey together (who knew?). (Blacklist and to a lesser extent Blindspot had a few episodes that were a bit "intense" for her viewing pleasure, FYI.) Reruns of Friends frequently seem to find their way on the screen when she's flipping through channels (which is fine with me - I liked that show). We could do with a good comedy or action/drama series to watch together.

We just tried starting Parks and Recreation, but it just wasn't doing it for either of us after the first 4 episodes.

I'm thinking a comedy would be good to lighten the mood a bit amidst all the coronavirus junk and other stuff going on, but any good show would be welcome.

We have Dish, Disney+, Netflix, and Prime Video, so please keep that in mind. That's more than enough paying for TV for my tastes already; I'm not about to go add HBO or anything else at this point. :) Thanks!

My wife and I have somewhat different tastes in movies/TV - I am more Firefly, Expanse, and Jack Ryan while she is more Hallmark, House Hunters, and Grey's Anatomy (but she really doesn't like the more gory doctor stuff). Somewhere in between those extremes we both enjoyed Blacklist, Blindspot, and even Downton Abbey together (who knew?). (Blacklist and to a lesser extent Blindspot had a few episodes that were a bit "intense" for her viewing pleasure, FYI.) Reruns of Friends frequently seem to find their way on the screen when she's flipping through channels (which is fine with me - I liked that show). We could do with a good comedy or action/drama series to watch together.

We just tried starting Parks and Recreation, but it just wasn't doing it for either of us after the first 4 episodes.

I'm thinking a comedy would be good to lighten the mood a bit amidst all the coronavirus junk and other stuff going on, but any good show would be welcome.

We have Dish, Disney+, Netflix, and Prime Video, so please keep that in mind. That's more than enough paying for TV for my tastes already; I'm not about to go add HBO or anything else at this point. :) Thanks!
I'd encourage you to hang in there with Parks and Rec. Its first season (only six episodes long) is pretty rough around the edges. It mostly feels like a half-baked retread of The Office. But somewhere in the middle of its second season, it starts to shed its identity crisis and evolves into a hilarious and heartwarming examination of how apathy and indifference and cynicism can be overcome by the sincere desire of a few to do good on behalf of the many. It is, in my estimation, the most optimistic depiction of government ever to grace a television screen, and a perfect salve for these trying times. You just have to get through some of the show's early stumbles as it sorts out what it wants to be. By season three, it really finds its stride and becomes an all-time great sitcom.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I'd encourage you to hang in there with Parks and Rec. Its first season (only six episodes long) is pretty rough around the edges. It mostly feels like a half-baked retread of The Office. But somewhere in the middle of its second season, it starts to shed its identity crisis and evolves into a hilarious and heartwarming examination of how apathy and indifference and cynicism can be overcome by the sincere desire of a few to do good on behalf of the many. It is, in my estimation, the most optimistic depiction of government ever to grace a television screen, and a perfect salve for these trying times. You just have to get through some of the show's early stumbles as it sorts out what it wants to be. By season three, it really finds its stride and becomes an all-time great sitcom.
OK, thanks. Didn't realize the first season was only 6 shows. We heard it was good but after binging 4 straight episodes we were wondering what anyone really saw in it. :oops: I mean, it has glimpses of good stuff in it, but overall we just weren't feeling it.

I never watched the Office. Hearing they were similar and watching Parks and Rec as we did I wasn't sure I wanted to....

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK, thanks. Didn't realize the first season was only 6 shows. We heard it was good but after binging 4 straight episodes we were wondering what anyone really saw in it. :oops: I mean, it has glimpses of good stuff in it, but overall we just weren't feeling it.

I never watched the Office. Hearing they were similar and watching Parks and Rec as we did I wasn't sure I wanted to....
Have you tried The Good Place? If ever there was a mix of Hallmark and Firefly, that might be it. On Netflix last I looked.

Wife and I binged World’s Toughest Race. EcoChallnge Fiji
Hosted byBearGryllis

Slickly packaged with lots of background of many of the competitors. Some extremely good stories in this.
EcoChallenge is like 5 Ironman races all in a row. Unbelievably brutal and tough race. Highly entertaining. On Amazon Prime

lol talk about opposite ends of the spectrum :D
If you like Jack Ryan check out The Bodyguard
For both of you to watch together, check out Lost. The wife and I watched it together and she really liked it, and based on both your tastes I could see you both liking it. Silicon Valley is really funny and might work for both of you . Chef Show is really fun for everyone
that’s a shame you didn’t like parks and rec. love that show
Actually scratch Silicon Valley. If I recall you don’t like cursing lol

Last edited:
FFF323D5-28B7-4AF2-89BE-2D2A7B9CBB7C.jpeg

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
lol talk about opposite ends of the spectrum :D
If you like Jack Ryan check out The Bodyguard
For both of you to watch together, check out Lost. The wife and I watched it together and she really liked it, and based on both your tastes I could see you both liking it. Silicon Valley is really funny and might work for both of you . Chef Show is really fun for everyone
that’s a shame you didn’t like parks and rec. love that show
Actually scratch Silicon Valley. If I recall you don’t like cursing lol
I liked the Bodyguard - well done show.

Never thought much about checking out Lost. May have to see if she is interested. She was watching Manifest which I think sounds somewhat similar in some ways, but she started watching it without me and I wasn't about to jump into the middle of that one without knowing what was going on.

I'm OK with cursing, at least when it isn't done every third word in a show. My wife, however.... o_O

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Wife and I binged World’s Toughest Race. EcoChallnge Fiji
Hosted byBearGryllis

Slickly packaged with lots of background of many of the competitors. Some extremely good stories in this.
EcoChallenge is like 5 Ironman races all in a row. Unbelievably brutal and tough race. Highly entertaining. On Amazon Prime
Thanks, but I don't typically care for those shows (survivor, competition shows, etc. - not sure about this one but they always have all the touching backstories and whatever). I just want to be entertained. No real life cancer survivor stories before you lose a trial and get dropped from a show or whatever. My wife likes the singing shows, etc. They drive me bonkers because most are so fake. Sorry.

Warhawk, check out Barry. So good and funny.
Looks like an HBO show?

With Chadwick Boseman passing away, I decided to watch Black Panther today as I’d not seen it. A really good film with a wonderful cast, highlighted by Boseman of course. I think I’ll find 42 on one of the streaming services and rewatch that too.

Thanks, but I don't typically care for those shows (survivor, competition shows, etc. - not sure about this one but they always have all the touching backstories and whatever). I just want to be entertained. No real life cancer survivor stories before you lose a trial and get dropped from a show or whatever. My wife likes the singing shows, etc. They drive me bonkers because most are so fake. Sorry.

Looks like an HBO show?
Yeah. Sorry, when you said you had prime I think I assumed you had the HBO app. The HBO app is my favorite one. HBO puts out fantastic stuff.

Last edited:
I liked the Bodyguard - well done show.

Never thought much about checking out Lost. May have to see if she is interested. She was watching Manifest which I think sounds somewhat similar in some ways, but she started watching it without me and I wasn't about to jump into the middle of that one without knowing what was going on.

I'm OK with cursing, at least when it isn't done every third word in a show. My wife, however.... o_O
ah man I forgot that I started Manifest then stopped. I liked it.
Lost, to me me, was one of the best shows I’ve ever watched (first 2 seasons were some of the best TV I’ve ever seen ) and it spanned 2 different significant others...,and both loved it.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Binged I’ll Be Gone in the Dark and, considering the content matter of the series at large, I probably enjoyed going ”I walked down that street to go to soccer practice!” and the like as a born-and-raised Rancho Cordovan far too much.