Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Zero

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
  1. Let them watch something else, then.
  2. With respect to the ongoing conversation in the ratings thread (shout out to @Insomniacal Fan), I don't think that your assessment of why people may or may not be watching is accurate.
That's fine if you don't agree with me but I can say with near certainty that people don't tune in to NBA games to learn about the social justice issues that players are in favor of. They tune in to watch the best of the best play a competitive game.

dude12

Hall of Famer
That's the rock and a hard place I'm talking about. The NBA will take an insanely massive revenue hit if they let the players take over and turn the sport into their own political platform. People won't watch if the players leave and people won't watch if they have to get bombarded with this stuff when all they want to do is sit down, decompress and watch something that takes their mind off the world.

I don't think they thought this thing out very well.
Agreed.

Rebuttal: I think that it was a statement that needed to be made, and I am not of the opinion that necessary statements require sacrifice.
And I will stand by mine. I respect the players that are willing to sacrifice the game to make their statement. They were willing to take the loss (or at least I hope they were). The Magic spoiled that.

If both teams forfeit the game, the game shouldn't count and not be replayed. If neither can advance, too bad.

Let the stand STAND.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
That's fine if you don't agree with me but I can say with near certainty that people don't tune in to NBA games to learn about the social justice issues that players are in favor of. They tune in to watch the best of the best play a competitive game.
So what? Why they tune in isn't the right question, with respect to your original premise ("people won't watch if they have to get bombarded with this stuff"). I don't tune in to learn about social justice issues, either, but learning about them isn't going to make me tune out.

You are, in my opinion, either presupposing that people have no bandwidth for empathy, or that they like things just fine, the way they are.

So what? Why they tune in isn't the right question, with respect to your original premise ("people won't watch if they have to get bombarded with this stuff"). I don't tune in to learn about social justice issues, either, but learning about them isn't going to make me tune out.

You are, in my opinion, either presupposing that people have no bandwidth for empathy, or that they like things just fine, the way they are.
There is a LOT of middle ground between the two extremes you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.