Jason Jones’ Most Recent Kings Article in the Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, these were straight stupid signings. All that money could have been invested in taking on bad contracts for future assets. IIRC, this was the year the Raptors were giving away their first round pick for someone to take Carroll off their hands. Of course, the Nets jumped all over it. Those sort of deals are pretty much available every single year as contenders want to shed their dead-weight in order to sign a FA who can potentially get them over the top.

T.J Warren and pick 32 were traded this past summer for literally nothing to the Pacers is another one we missed on. We instead sign Trevor Ariza for the same price and eventually have to dump him 30 games into the contract. I think we'd have been a much more attractive team to trade with too because we have so many future 2nds that at least would have given the Suns some value in return as opposed to nothing.

All of this is true. The difficulty in evaluating Perry is that he didn't have final say on the direction of the team. If Vlade wanted to get vets in to teach the youngsters, then Perry did his job fine. I'm not even sure how much final say he had in NY.

If Dumars stays on as VP of Basketball operations or whatever title is above GM these days, then the next GM will/should be philosophically in line with Dumars anyways.

No, these were straight stupid signings. All that money could have been invested in taking on bad contracts for future assets. IIRC, this was the year the Raptors were giving away their first round pick for someone to take Carroll off their hands. Of course, the Nets jumped all over it. Those sort of deals are pretty much available every single year as contenders want to shed their dead-weight in order to sign a FA who can potentially get them over the top.

T.J Warren and pick 32 were traded this past summer for literally nothing to the Pacers is another one we missed on. We instead sign Trevor Ariza for the same price and eventually have to dump him 30 games into the contract. I think we'd have been a much more attractive team to trade with too because we have so many future 2nds that at least would have given the Suns some value in return as opposed to nothing.
Good points. Totally forgot about Vlade and company's hatred of acquiring picks for capspace.

I was anti TJ Warren when we talked about him last year because I was like this guy is just another Jabari Parker type player who plays no defense and doesn't give you much outside of scoring. An empty statter.

I was fully against getting him because I thought he would cost a real asset. If you would have told me that he could have been acquired for cash or 2nd round picks, I would have been fully on board with that. In fact I was irritated when the trade initially went down and that was before I had any idea that he was going to explode into the player he's become.

It's moves like that that the Kings always seem to let slip by but it's those moves that get you into the playoffs. Trevor Ariza on a marginal squad doesn't move the needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.