VLADE GONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever your view on Vlade may be, he did the honourable thing by stepping down. It demonstrates accountability, which is what every good organisation requires across all levels. His decision deserves appreciation and I wish him the best for the future.

Make no mistake, the road for the Kings to become a successful franchise is still long and challenging. Expecting the replacing of a GM to fix everything overnight is not reasonable, in my view, and merely plants the seed for further disappointment. But the vital first step was taken by Vlade, and I respect him for that.

Whatever your view on Vlade may be, he did the honourable thing by stepping down. It demonstrates accountability, which is what every good organisation requires across all levels. His decision deserves appreciation and I wish him the best for the future.

Make no mistake, the road for the Kings to become a successful franchise is still long and challenging. Expecting the replacing of a GM to fix everything overnight is not reasonable, in my view, and merely plants the seed for further disappointment. But the vital first step was taken by Vlade, and I respect him for that.
Becoming a good team is a “process” nobody expects to win right away.

Whatever your view on Vlade may be, he did the honourable thing by stepping down. It demonstrates accountability, which is what every good organisation requires across all levels. His decision deserves appreciation and I wish him the best for the future. I don't quite understand what has been suggested here.

Honor really?
Vlade was given a demotion. Vlade said no and he quit. What I'm reading was that Vlade defended prior decisions and suggested that decisions would need additional time to play out. He is defending his decisions. However, we see a poor won loss record during his tenure. And is the team really any better? However, he was removed from his position. I'm not seeing the accountability. I'm not seeing the honor part. If he had resigned on his own, based on the current state of the team, then I would say it was honorable. If he stayed to work hand and hand with Dumars, then I would say that is honorable. He is taking his money and going home.

His Goal became get into the Playoffs. He added free agents that he thought would get him into the playoffs. This same plan failed over and over. To do what he did and not build any first rounders, was a waste of the money spent on those free agents. Sunk Costs.

With regard to Joe Dumars as VP/GM -am highly doubtful about his stewardship- I think he is a re-arrange the deck chairs GM to try to get to the playoffs whereas Hinke is you have to remove the passengers from the boat first type GM to get into the top 5. I want to be top 5 only and compete for a championship, not a member of 16 of 30 team club. Not interested in the 8th seed versus the number 1. That is no where's land.

OK, first coaching domino and better option has fallen. Gentry is out. If anyone in this organization has an ounce of sense he's at the top of the list currently. This is one of the coaches that runs a system close to what Vivek supposedly wants from his team. He took a Pels team from 27th in pace the year before he came in all the way up to 9th the next year and peaked it all the way to 1st, 3rd, and 2nd the last 3 years. Thank Luke for the work and start building your list Joe and Vivek.
Alvin Gentry?

Is that a joke?

Until Bagley proves himself to be a core piece, we are actually in a really bad position. Look at Memphis, Phoenix, they are younger and probably better. I am pessimistic for this squad to go on. Without assets and picks, no free agents coming, we should look for talents in the draft. I don't think we have other choice.
The investment of choosing him number 2 over the other talent in the draft kind of forces you to look at him as a core member and at this point, the 23 mpg stuff is done. He has to start at the very least building individual value. On the bright side though, at least using him to his strengths shouldn't at all conflict with any other core members right now in theory. The right, fast paced, spread, small ball D'Antoni style system is right for all of them if the right coach can be put in charge.

No please no. Gentry is possibly one of the only coaches who might be worse than Luke.
His play style fits though. Having a "good" or "bad" coach can't really be considered at the moment. This dumpster fire is getting a little too hot to cherry pick. They need the RIGHT coach and now. This team is mostly built in terms of a specific core so you just have to find the guy that fits. Again, I'd look at the Houston situation with a close eye, but in the end a lesser version of the right guy is better than a really bad version of the wrong guy. Luke from what we've seen is the wrong guy. Too much motion built off of an extended pseudo horns set. I've been watching some clips, the offense is so predictable and in the wrong ways.

This youtuber puts up some very interesting vids of various offensive and defensive sets. Lets look at Buddy's main set play:

Running Buddy/Bogdan of flare screens and pin downs isn't a bad idea but this represented way too much of what we saw from Lukes motion offense. Set shots is what you want to create with a Fox as your leader. This is more so the kind of offense you'd run with a dominant inside big that demands pressure from the interior.

More and more movement while feeding the post to a player that isn't going to scare teams at all. The defenses just sat back and hovered around to close off the paint while also challenging the shot or even switching as teams started to do. These in the end are tougher shots out of an offense than you need to rely on. Double staggered screens, and all this senseless motion offense works against the pace that this team should be playing at. This is typical coaching from the neck up stuff when your team is looking for rhythm.

Alvin Gentry?

Is that a joke?
Beggars can't be choosers. The days of "This coach is a genius, he once sniffed this other great coaches dirty laundry" are over. If you're going to tear everything down and start new that's OK. If they want to keep the core and play a certain way you have to find the right person for the job. If you want to run Triangle, go look up and down Phil Jacksons tree. If not, run for the hills. If you have a play style in mind or players that kind fit into a certain style you have to find the right coach otherwise you will watch your players misused to the point that they tune out. Like we are seeing for the millionth time under yet another coach.

Honor really?
Vlade was given a demotion. Vlade said no and he quit. What I'm reading was that Vlade defended prior decisions and suggested that decisions would need additional time to play out. He is defending his decisions. However, we see a poor won loss record during his tenure. And is the team really any better? However, he was removed from his position. I'm not seeing the accountability. I'm not seeing the honor part. If he had resigned on his own, based on the current state of the team, then I would say it was honorable. If he stayed to work hand and hand with Dumars, then I would say that is honorable. He is taking his money and going home.

His Goal became get into the Playoffs. He added free agents that he thought would get him into the playoffs. This same plan failed over and over. To do what he did and not build any first rounders, was a waste of the money spent on those free agents. Sunk Costs.

With regard to Joe Dumars as VP/GM -am highly doubtful about his stewardship- I think he is a re-arrange the deck chairs GM to try to get to the playoffs whereas Hinke is you have to remove the passengers from the boat first type GM to get into the top 5. I want to be top 5 only and compete for a championship, not a member of 16 of 30 team club. Not interested in the 8th seed versus the number 1. That is no where's land.
I think it is very honorable that he is taking full responsibility and not throwing anyone under the bus. I have very little doubt that despite what he is saying, there was influences coming from upstairs. I don't fault him for taking the money, we most likely would do the same. I don't fault him for being proud and not taking the demotion. If he was going to fall on the sword, which he did, why fall on the sword and be delegated to the corner as a figurehead so Vivek could look good. He did right by the team for how he exited himself, he didn't owe Vivek squat. Vivek has made his bed and showed how he operates.

I think it is very honorable that he is taking full responsibility and not throwing anyone under the bus. I have very little doubt that despite what he is saying, there was influences coming from upstairs. I don't fault him for taking the money, we most likely would do the same. I don't fault him for being proud and not taking the demotion. If he was going to fall on the sword, which he did, why fall on the sword and be delegated to the corner as a figurehead so Vivek could look good. He did right by the team for how he exited himself, he didn't owe Vivek squat. Vivek has made his bed and showed how he operates.
Vlades a class act and Sac will always love that man. For us and him, I hope Vivek is forming a group better for these players when it comes to actual on court style. If he does then Vlade might indeed get the last laugh and get that satisfaction as his players prove the doubters wrong and start winning.

The investment of choosing him number 2 over the other talent in the draft kind of forces you to look at him as a core member and at this point, the 23 mpg stuff is done. He has to start at the very least building individual value. On the bright side though, at least using him to his strengths shouldn't at all conflict with any other core members right now in theory. The right, fast paced, spread, small ball D'Antoni style system is right for all of them if the right coach can be put in charge.
To this day I haven't figured out why Vlade hired 2 coaches whose first order of business was to slow the team down. Aside from Bogdan and Bjelica, everything about this team is about speed and athleticism. Especially when you factor in that Barnes is really a PF in today's league.

Oh....and Karl was the coach who wanted a fast, athletic team. Vlade fires him and then proceeded to obtain fast, athletic, versatile players.

Maddening. The pieces are in place for a certain style of play. Even with missing on Luka, Vlade could have saved himself by just bringing in a coach with the right approach to this roster. Hopefully Dumars, or whoever is the next GM can just be consistent with their plan.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Interest part not mentioned is how will this effect the Chief Operating Officer? Vlade and Peja were allies, now new blood is interjected.
Are you sure about that? I could swear I had heard something along the lines of "keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer" in that regard.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Beggars can't be choosers. The days of "This coach is a genius, he once sniffed this other great coaches dirty laundry" are over. If you're going to tear everything down and start new that's OK. If they want to keep the core and play a certain way you have to find the right person for the job. If you want to run Triangle, go look up and down Phil Jacksons tree. If not, run for the hills. If you have a play style in mind or players that kind fit into a certain style you have to find the right coach otherwise you will watch your players misused to the point that they tune out. Like we are seeing for the millionth time under yet another coach.
Um, yes they can...if they're serious about finding the right coach and not just the guy with the best name. Please...

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
At this point, this thread is in real danger of becoming a mish-mash of a plethora of different discussions. For that reason, I'm going to close it with the promise I will break out any topics any of you tell me need their own thread going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.