The Ultimate Rebuild (with BOS, PHI, POR, & UTA)

How satisfied would you be if the Kings made all of these trades?

• Very Satisfied

• Moderately Satisfied

• Slightly Satisfied

• Neutral

• Slightly Dissatisfied

• Moderately Dissatisfied

• Very Dissatisfied

Results are only viewable after voting.
With another disappointing end to the season and with Vlade now out of the picture, I wanted to provide a "total rebuild" thread.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRADE #1
BOS Gets: Richaun Holmes & 2020 SAC 2nd
BOS Gives: Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirer, & 2020 BOS 1st
Why for BOS? The Celtics get a cheap C who gives them athleticism at the C spot, but is also a good defender all over the floor (perimeter, PnR, & interior). He's also a good screener & rim running threat. Unlike R. Williams, Holmes is a very good FT shooter which will allow him to stay on the floor during crunch time while not hurting the team. They also consolidate their roster spots from three to two. However, they could maybe use the SAC 2nd on a draft & stash player to open up another roster spot.

SAC Gets: Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirer, & 2020 BOS 1st
SAC Gives: Richaun Holmes & 2020 SAC 2nd
Why for SAC? Kings move their win-now vet for a 1st round pick to help with their rebuild.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRADE #2
UTA Gets: Nemanja Bjelica & 2020 DET 2nd
UTA Gives: Ed Davis, Juwan Morgan, & 2020 UTA 1st
Why for UTA? The Jazz don't have anyone on their roster with the combination of Bjelica's size, shooting, rebounding, & passing. With Gobert's elite defense, Bjelica's below average defense would be somewhat negated, but his Bjelica's elite 3PT shooting (and it extends well beyond the 3PT line) will create that much more space for the rest of the team. His passing & unselfishness would fit right in with how the Jazz play. They also get an early 2nd back (#35) to give them another cheap, young player.

SAC Gets: Ed Davis, Juwan Morgan, & 2020 UTA 1st
SAC Gives: Nemanja Bjelica & 2020 DET 2nd
Why for SAC? Kings move their win-now vet for a 1st round pick to help with their rebuild.

TRADE #3
UTA Gets: Bogdan Bogdanovic (S&T) & Cory Joseph
UTA Gives: Mike Conley & Future 1st (Top 10 Protected - would convey 2 years after their 1st is conveyed to MEM)
Why for UTA? The Jazz move Mitchell to PG full time, but get a long SG (6'11" wingspan and 8'8" standing reach) who can shoot, handle, and run the PnR. Joseph gives them a great defensive PG. He's lacking in terms of being able to run an offense, but with Mtichell, Bogdanovic, O'Neale, Ingles, Bogdanovic, & Bjelica all being capable passers/playmakers, they can have others assume that role on offense.

SAC Gets: Mike Conley & Future 1st (Top 10 Protected - would convey 2 years after their 1st is conveyed to MEM)
SAC Gives: Bogdan Bogdanovic (S&T) & Cory Joseph
Why for SAC? Kings move their win-now vet for a 1st round pick to help with their rebuild. Conley would also be a great veteran mentor to help bring the kids along and potentially teach Fox a thing or two to help him elevate his game.

TRADE #4
PHI Gets: Buddy Hield
PHI Gives: Al Horford, 2020 OKC 1st, & 2022 PHI 1st (Top 4 Protected)
Why for PHI? The 76ers replace an older, overpaid, less than ideal fit player in Horford for a younger, better fitting piece in Hield (who's contract is declining) while still being able to hold onto Thybulle. Hield's shooting would do wonders to help space the floor for Simmons & Embiid, and with Richardson & Thybulle still on the roster, they can cover for Hield defensively as they can easily guard 1s & 2s.

SAC Gets: Al Horford, 2020 OKC 1st, & 2022 PHI 1st (Top 4 Protected)
SAC Gives: Buddy Hield
Why for SAC? Kings move their win-now vet for a couple of 1st round picks to help with their rebuild. Horford would also be a great veteran mentor to help bring the kids along. He also may help Bagley learn a thing or two about defense, playing the game smart, etc.

TRADE #5
POR Gets: Harrison Barnes
POR Gives: Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood, & 2021 POR 1st (Top 14 Protected)
Why for POR? The Blazers get a solid 3&D SF to pair next to Lillard & McCollum to help their defense, and ultimately see if they can run it back with Lillard, McCollum, Barnes, Collins, Nurkic, Simons, Trent, Little, & 2020 POR 1st.

SAC Gets: Trevor Ariza, Rodney Hood, & 2021 POR 1st (Top 14 Protected)
SAC Gives: Harrison Barnes

KINGS ROSTER/ASSETS GOING INTO 2020-21 SEASON

PG - Fox / Conley / Guy
SG - James / Hood
SF - Jeffries / Ariza
PF - Bagley / Parker / Morgan
C - Horford / Kanter / Davis / Poirier
2020 Picks - SAC 1st, UTA 1st, OKC 1st, BOS 1st, & HOU 2nd
2021 Picks - SAC 1st, POR 1st (Top 14 Protected), SAC 2nd, & MEM 2nd
2022 Picks - SAC 1st, PHI 1st (Top 4 Protected), & SAC 2nd
2023 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd
2024 Picks - SAC 1st, UTA 1st (Top 10 Protected), SAC 2nd, & POR 2nd
2025 Picks - SAC 1st, SAC 2nd, & POR 2nd
2026 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd
2027 Picks - SAC 1st & SAC 2nd

• Kings free up some minutes/roster spots for James & Jeffries to see if any of them are core, long term pieces (they're 22-23 years old).
  • They hold on to Fox as a potential young cornerstone (22 years old).
  • Bagley's value is at an all time low. They hold onto him and hope he develops into a core, long term piece (still only 21 years old)
  • Kings have a plethora of 1st round picks to use (4 in 2020, 2 in 2021, 2 in 2022, 1 in 2023, 2 in 2024, 1 in 2025, 1 in 2026, & 1 in 2027)
  • Kings have a couple of very good veteran mentors (Horford & Conley) who will help the kids learn how to win, play the right way, and be a pro.
  • Kings would likely be at the top of the 2021 & 2022 draft with this rebuild. Both drafts have some very intriguing top end talent.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
If I have to pretend to like Trevor Ariza again, I’m rioting.

That said, if we are going for a full rebuild #CrappingForCade or #KhaosForKuminga is not an awful path to go, especially if you’ve still got Fox to go along with him.

A lot of effort went into setting up these trades. Thanks for it.

If the new GM believes in some of the mid to late 2020 first round hopefuls then it might work out.

Be nice to move into the top ten in this years draft.

The 1st and 5th trades I think are too favorable for the Kings.

Holmes is a stud, but I don't think he's at the point yet where he commands turing even a late 1st into a 2nd. His short bubble performance didn't help.

Harrison Barnes is nearing salary dump status, and I could see him paired with a 1st before netting a 1st.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Here's a simple trade for you. The Kings trade Buddy Hield straight up for Jrue Holiday. They're both making almost identical money next year Buddy will be 28 years old next season and Holiday will be 30 years old. If you could somehow get the Pel's to agree to this, then you could turn around and trade Joseph. Holiday is as good a defender, and he's one of the better PG's in the NBA when healthy. Buddy is the better shooter, but Holiday is the all around better player.

Holiday has two years left on his contract with the 2nd year being his option. It's unlikely he'll opt out of 27.1 mil though. Buddy has 4 years left, but his contract is a declining one going from 26.4 mil it's first year to just over 20 mil his 4th year. Don't know what the Pel's plans are but they have to resign Ingram to an extension, probably a max deal, and maybe try and bring Favors back, since this is the last year of his contract. Plus they have Ball to resign after next season. Just a random thought....

If the new GM believes in some of the mid to late 2020 first round hopefuls then it might work out.

yeah, even if the poster takes a beating for their suggestions I always appreciate the effort.
I too would like to move into the top ten. Based mostly on Bajadens assessments, Vassell is the player I would currently like to see a King outside of the top 5. I don’t think he’ll last past ten.

Last edited:
If I have to pretend to like Trevor Ariza again, I’m rioting.

That said, if we are going for a full rebuild #CrappingForCade or #KhaosForKuminga is not an awful path to go, especially if you’ve still got Fox to go along with him.
Well I'd prefer to start Jeffries over him at SF so we can cheer for Jeffries and be upset together when we see Ariza walk to the scorers table ;)

The name of the game would be asset collection. You can either keep all of those draft selections, but like you alluded to, you can look to trade up or trade them to another team for a future 1st if the GM doesn't like anyone in particular.

The 1st and 5th trades I think are too favorable for the Kings.

Holmes is a stud, but I don't think he's at the point yet where he commands turing even a late 1st into a 2nd. His short bubble performance didn't help.

Harrison Barnes is nearing salary dump status, and I could see him paired with a 1st before netting a 1st.
That's fair. Neutral fans on RealGM seemed to think the 1st trade was pretty fair value especially since they're getting an earlier 2nd back in the deal.

As for Barnes, he's still a useful player in the right role (even if a bit overpaid). Ariza & Hood are pretty much deadweight at this point, and Portland's cap is tied up. Portland's defense has also been far from passable lately. I think a 3&D SF like Barnes would be very useful where he would have a clear offensive role behind Lillard, McCollumn, & Nurkic and focus on defense and spreading the floor.

Their pick this year is at 16 at the moment (I believe), and that's during a season riddled with injuries. The POR 2021 1st will likely end up being in the 20s and could be close to 25 (considering Barnes upgrades the talent on their team, and they would still have young guys like Simons, Trent, Little, & POR 2020 1st that could be advancing their games and becoming more productive players).

Here's a simple trade for you. The Kings trade Buddy Hield straight up for Jrue Holiday. They're both making almost identical money next year Buddy will be 28 years old next season and Holiday will be 30 years old. If you could somehow get the Pel's to agree to this, then you could turn around and trade Joseph. Holiday is as good a defender, and he's one of the better PG's in the NBA when healthy. Buddy is the better shooter, but Holiday is the all around better player.

Holiday has two years left on his contract with the 2nd year being his option. It's unlikely he'll opt out of 27.1 mil though. Buddy has 4 years left, but his contract is a declining one going from 26.4 mil it's first year to just over 20 mil his 4th year. Don't know what the Pel's plans are but they have to resign Ingram to an extension, probably a max deal, and maybe try and bring Favors back, since this is the last year of his contract. Plus they have Ball to resign after next season. Just a random thought....
To be honest, I don't think the value is near enough for Holiday. Holiday is a very impactful, winning player. Hield has been fringe which I think makes his contract a negative in terms of value.

Hield
RAPM = -0.60
PIPM = -0.40
RPM = +0.30
BPM = +1.40
RAPTOR = +0.13
On/Off = -1.90

Holiday
RAPM = +1.41
PIPM = +1.73
RPM = +3.20
BPM = +2.30
RAPTOR = +4.76
On/Off = +5.40

Besides, the point is to rebuild. Not to acquire 30+ year old veterans (unless we're being paid young assets to take them).

Last edited:
yeah, even if the poster takes a beating for their suggestions I always appreciate the effort.
I too would like to move into the top ten. Based mostly on Bajadens assessments, Vassell is the player I would currently like to see a King outside of the top 5. I don’t think he’ll last past ten.
Yeah, with the following 1st round picks...

#12/#13

...I'm sure you could get a team to bite on a deal that would allow us to get into the top 10 and take a guy like Vassell.

P.S., I appreciate the appreciation :)

Yeah, with the following 1st round picks...

#12/#13

...I'm sure you could get a team to bite on a deal that would allow us to get into the top 10 and take a guy like Vassell.

P.S., I appreciate the appreciation :)
No problem. I’d be to concerned of being creamed by some of these posters with such trade proposals, besides I cant be bothered anymore with figuring the logistics if a trade is feasible or not.
Assuming we base our future on a 22 year old Fox and a hopefully a healthy 21year old Bagley, I would enjoy the defensive minded Vassell 19 as part of that core. He truly has the size to play SF with the all around skills of a SG.
Buddy im happy to move on from if the price is right.

No problem. I’d be to concerned of being creamed by some of these posters with such trade proposals, besides I cant be bothered anymore with figuring the logistics if a trade is feasible or not.
Assuming we base our future on a 22 year old Fox and a hopefully a healthy 21year old Bagley, I would enjoy the defensive minded Vassell 19 as part of that core. He truly has the size to play SF with the all around skills of a SG.
Buddy im happy to move on from if the price is right.
Fox, Vassell, James, and Jeffries would all be young players who exert a lot of effort defensively. Then you have Conley, Ariza, & Horford who all take the defensive end personally.

It certainly would set the tone as a team for any new comers that defense is a requirement.

Fox, Vassell, James, and Jeffries would all be young players who exert a lot of effort defensively. Then you have Conley, Ariza, & Horford who all take the defensive end personally.

It certainly would set the tone as a team for any new comers that defense is a requirement.

This is true but in the end you need another player equal or better than Fox on the offensive end or the Kings are going no where regardless of the defensive talent on the team.

100% agree. No denying that. Stars win in this league.
I would take a plan like yours that involves getting as many draft picks as possible and just swing for the fences on every pick to find that second star.

Once you have that second star, the role players become much easier to acquire because now they're coming to Sacramento to win, not just to cash in.

Also it makes your "flawed" players much more valuable.

Corey Joseph as a primary ball handler? Below average player. CoJo as a last offensive resort that covers the best perimeter player? Valuable.

Buddy Hield as a primary/secondary ball handler? Below average player. Buddy coming off screens and stretching defenses? Extremely valuable.

Everyone becomes better because they get to concentrate on their strengths and have their weaknesses minimized. It just takes another A level player to get them there and the Kings don't have that yet.

I would take a plan like yours that involves getting as many draft picks as possible and just swing for the fences on every pick to find that second star.

Once you have that second star, the role players become much easier to acquire because now they're coming to Sacramento to win, not just to cash in.

Also it makes your "flawed" players much more valuable.

Corey Joseph as a primary ball handler? Below average player. CoJo as a last offensive resort that covers the best perimeter player? Valuable.

Buddy Hield as a primary/secondary ball handler? Below average player. Buddy coming off screens and stretching defenses? Extremely valuable.

Everyone becomes better because they get to concentrate on their strengths and have their weaknesses minimized. It just takes another A level player to get them there and the Kings don't have that yet.
Yeah I agree. Who would be your swing for the fences picks with #12/#13, #22, #23, & #26?

I love all of these trades. Except that as mentioned, I think trade 1 is too favorable for Sac. I think trade 3 is probably a little too favorable for us too.
The only think I would suggest getting 2021 picks would be preferable as that draft is probably going to be better than this year.

I love all of these trades. Except that as mentioned, I think trade 1 is too favorable for Sac. I think trade 3 is probably a little too favorable for us too.
The only think I would suggest getting 2021 picks would be preferable as that draft is probably going to be better than this year.
I wouldn't be opposed to getting more 2021 1sts (just so we don't have so many in 1 draft), but most of these picks will be mid-late 1st round picks anyways. Although the 2020 draft doesn't have really any high level prospects at the top of the draft, I do think the 2020 draft is relatively deep with solid players.

If there was a choice between a Top 5 pick in 2020 vs. Top 5 pick in 2021, you hands down choose the 2021 pick, but if it's a 20-30 pick in 2020 vs. a 20-30 pick in 2021, I'm not sure there will be much of a talent difference.

Now, the 2022 draft is supposed to be the "double draft" which will be the first year where they would allow HS players to go directly to the NBA again, but you'd also have the high-end high school prospects who just missed this rule by a year which means they had to go play college for a year before going pro the next year. Thus, that draft could have a lot more top end talent which could make picks like 20-30 in the 2022 draft more valuable than picking 20-30 in 2020 or 2021.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
To be honest, I don't think the value is near enough for Holiday. Holiday is a very impactful, winning player. Hield has been fringe which I think makes his contract a negative in terms of value.

Hield
RAPM = -0.60
PIPM = -0.40
RPM = +0.30
BPM = +1.40
RAPTOR = +0.13
On/Off = -1.90

Holiday
RAPM = +1.41
PIPM = +1.73
RPM = +3.20
BPM = +2.30
RAPTOR = +4.76
On/Off = +5.40

Besides, the point is to rebuild. Not to acquire 30+ year old veterans (unless we're being paid young assets to take them).
I agree that Buddy probably isn't enough value for Holiday. That's why I'm counting on you to talk them into it. While I understand the desire to bring in young assets, you'll always need a veteran influence as well, and Holiday is the kind of veteran influence I like. But your right, I doubt that the Pel's would go for it.

I agree that Buddy probably isn't enough value for Holiday. That's why I'm counting on you to talk them into it. While I understand the desire to bring in young assets, you'll always need a veteran influence as well, and Holiday is the kind of veteran influence I like. But your right, I doubt that the Pel's would go for it.
Well in my plan, we’d have Conley and Horford in that role. I think they would be great veteran mentors and serve that purpose well.

Yeah I agree. Who would be your swing for the fences picks with #12/#13, #22, #23, & #26?
I haven't paid as close attention as a lot of the other folks around here but Kira Lewis is a guy I'd potentially take a shot on. Yeah he plays PG but I think we could potentially run a double PG scheme for a certain amount of minutes to where he could be our Gilgeous-Alexander type. He's not quite as tall as SGA so it probably wouldn't work as well as it has with him and CP3/PatBev but it would be better gamble IMO than going after the next Danny Green type.

Plus it could potentially help with the inevitable offensive lull the team goes through anytime Fox is on the bench and Buddy isn't shooting lights out.

One thing I wouldn't go for is a big of any type unless they stretch the floor and play exceptional defense.

I'm not sure you quite get all those picks for these guys, but the general strategy is excellent; get future first (or 2nd) round picks, gain cap flexibility, try and acquire some young players like Poirer. Bogi, Bjelica, Barnes, Holmes, Buddy all do have value especially to a contending team and should be able to return good assets. Just hopefully have to believe the next GM recognizes this team needs a real restart.

Fox (22, turns 23 in December) is still young enough that if a new GM decides to trade most of our core pieces for future 1sts, we can still turn around the team by the time he hits his prime. I love this strategy and am completely in favor of it.

The biggest question is do we want to try to aim for one to two higher (lottery) picks by combining our best assets into one to two trades? Or do we prefer separating these assets out into 3-4 trades, where we would likely only be able to gather mid-late 1st round picks in those trades?

I’d prefer trying to get one to two lottery picks by doing two separate trades revolving around Buddy and Bogie. I think Buddy can certainly command a lottery pick, maybe not a high one, and Bogie may be able to get a late lottery pick from a fringe Playoff team who prefers a starting SG over a young, inexperienced rookie.

I haven't paid as close attention as a lot of the other folks around here but Kira Lewis is a guy I'd potentially take a shot on. Yeah he plays PG but I think we could potentially run a double PG scheme for a certain amount of minutes to where he could be our Gilgeous-Alexander type. He's not quite as tall as SGA so it probably wouldn't work as well as it has with him and CP3/PatBev but it would be better gamble IMO than going after the next Danny Green type.

Plus it could potentially help with the inevitable offensive lull the team goes through anytime Fox is on the bench and Buddy isn't shooting lights out.

One thing I wouldn't go for is a big of any type unless they stretch the floor and play exceptional defense.
I like him too. For obvious fit Vassell is my choice but he will likely be gone if we draft 12. Lewis should be there and in time would keep the engine always running.
Since the idea of this thread is to accumulate picks, maybe both.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I like him too. For obvious fit Vassell is my choice but he will likely be gone if we draft 12. Lewis should be there and in time would keep the engine always running.
Since the idea of this thread is to accumulate picks, maybe both.
Well we won the coin toss with the Pel's and now were at 11, if I understand it correctly. Not that it matters because your right, Vassell will likely go top 8. But this is a strange draft, so you never know. A player that I think could slide a bit is Okongwu. I'm not sure why so many mocks have him going top five. He has little game away from the basket, and he's an undersized center at 6'9". Don't get me wrong, if you need a player to protect the rim and run the floor, he's your guy, and he does it well. I think he's talented, just not top five talented. Maybe I'm missing something.

I have my pick narrowed down to about five players that I think will be there when they pick. Aaron Nesmith, Kira Lewis, Saddiq Bey, Precious Achiuwa, and Jahmi'us Ramsey. My preference would be one of the first three, and of course if Vassell drops for some reason, I would take him. All these players are very good shooters from the perimeter except Achiuwa, and I think he has the potential in that area. If I were to make a reach on a player, it would be for either Daniel Oturu or Jalen Smith. Both are versatile players who can guard the basket, rebound and also step out and shoot the three.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Well we won the coin toss with the Pel's and now were at 11, if I understand it correctly. Not that it matters because your right, Vassell will likely go top 8.
Actually we're #12, we would have been #13 had we lost the coin flip. For whatever reason all the draft sites were assuming we were "ahead" of the Pelicans since March, I don't know why. Maybe (K)ings comes before (P)elicans?

Maybe I'm missing something with this draft with everyone saying it sucks, but I think all these wings projected to go later in the lottery or mid-1st round (Nesmith, Vassell, Bey, Bey) have tremendous potential to be super impactful NBA players. Maybe you aren't looking at stars, but the general archetype (6'6-6'8, good-great athlete, long wing-span, floor spacing, shown defensive potential, flexible 2-4 position wise) are the exact kind of players everyone is looking for and is struggling to find. Pretty big reason an average player like Harrison Barnes manages to get massive contract after massive contract because his player archetype is pretty rare. I'd be pretty excited if we managed to leave the draft with 2 of these wings.

Maybe I'm missing something with this draft with everyone saying it sucks, but I think all these wings projected to go later in the lottery or mid-1st round (Nesmith, Vassell, Bey, Bey) have tremendous potential to be super impactful NBA players. Maybe you aren't looking at stars, but the general archetype (6'6-6'8, good-great athlete, long wing-span, floor spacing, shown defensive potential, flexible 2-4 position wise) are the exact kind of players everyone is looking for and is struggling to find. Pretty big reason an average player like Harrison Barnes manages to get massive contract after massive contract because his player archetype is pretty rare. I'd be pretty excited if we managed to leave the draft with 2 of these wings.
Yeah I agree. There's not high end talent at the top of the draft, but the talent in mid-late 1st seems fine/comparable to other drafts.

Devin Vassell
Aaron Nesmith
Patrick Williams
Sadiq Bey
Josh Green
Desmond Bane
Tyler Bey

All those guys seem like good wing options that have coveted skillsets in today's NBA. Then you have some guys that have shown some 3&D potential as bigs:

Daniel Oturu
Jalen Smith
Killian Tillie