Formula for the Kings going forward (split)

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This 8 game stretch could be the most informative thing to happen to this franchise in a long time. Teams aren't messing around in this short stretch. Preseason has been more like the heart of regular season so that likely means this 8 game in or out process will be like a preview of a real playoffs. The realities of what this team is and needs to be might be starting to be cemented in beyond all doubt. As a traditional big unit this team is an utter DISASTER thus far. Maybe things change starting with the next game or mathcups but the regular season prior to shutdown basically said things were trending that way already so.... Wake up Walton, the stats are real and it's playing out right in front of you. Whether this ends up in shambles or propels this team into some sort of identity is all on you. This is a small baller. Done and done.

Now, onto the hard choices (yet, thankfully clear and getting clearer by the day) that need to be made using those facts. They can either be looked at as positive or negative but the truth is one path gives you a shot to be competitive, one doesn't. The most major positive is you may have found a key cog in making this small ball team deeper and even more unique with DaQuan Jeffries. He's a beast and because of his college experience as a combo F he has many of the skills and some of the know how defensively in terms of what you want out of your PF positioning wise. As I brought up in another thread only knowing those big man abilities within an offense or defense is usually the deathknell for small, stuck at one position PF because they don't have the wing skills Jeffries is developing as a role guy. When you start transitioning to being a true combo you become a HUGE asset for a team like this considering his physical make up. He's a beast with crazy athleticism. If only he had more seasoning but still, what a gift Walton got handed considering his needs.

It's not even a tough choice at this point once Barnes and Holmes come back Giles has to make is way towards the back of the rotation. Teams are simply attacking the heck out of him at PF and exploiting the Kings on both ends. At center he fairs much better but if he's not going to be put into any offense sets you aren't going to get much positive out of him regardless of where you play him. He wasn't on the draft board for his intangibles in his best case scenario. He wasn't too bad individually in this game but this is the second game in a row he's posted a near -20 +/- and where the Kings were much more threatening with only one big on the floor. Having no Barnes has really exposed how horrible the Bjelica/Giles combo is against both teams that are bigger and teams that are smaller because they don't have the half court scoring to lessen the overall damage. And guess what? If the Kings want to have any shot at the postseason that's going to be their opponent almost every night. Bigger at one moment, smaller the next. Even the Spurs appear to be going away from a traditional lineup. The Magic are the only team coming close but you're still sticking a stiff Giles or Bjelica on Gordon. Good luck with that. If Walton wants to play big then he has to work in more post action (which isn't a strength of either big regardless), but at the start of this game we again saw Fox vs. a packed paint and it's totally useless.

This looks like a 9 man rotation until the wheels fall off with any of Len, Brewer, Giles, and Parker at the end depending on need and matchups:

1. Fox
2. Bogdan
3. Buddy
4. Barnes
5. Bjelica
6. Holmes
7. Joseph
8. Baze
9. Jeffries

Then and only then, if you you're too small, or it's just not finding a footing should he go back to traditional. If he does though then he needs to starting running more traditional clock control BBall. And he's not so far. He's trying to blow the doors off with a station wagon. Bad idea.

Last edited:

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Your right. He doesn't force anything on offense. Lets the game come to him. On defense, he's terrific. Makes the right switch and keeps his man in front of him. He seems to always find the open man on offense, and the unguarded man on defense. He's just a smart basketball player. In my opinion, he's earned himself a spot on the roster. Especially when we don't know if we'll be able to resign Bazemore.
No doubt about it. However, at this point the option of not re-signing Baze is out the window. He's by far the most important FA for the Kings this summer. He's said everything that sounds like if the price is right he'll stay so we'll see.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No doubt about it. However, at this point the option of not re-signing Baze is out the window. He's by far the most important FA for the Kings this summer. He's said everything that sounds like if the price is right he'll stay so we'll see.
Look, no one wants Bazemore back more than me, but I don't think it's a given that he'll be back. Not unless he's willing to sign for more less than his last contract. He's making 19 mil this season, so I'm not sure how much he wants moving forward, but 19 mil is too much in my opinion. The KIngs have stated that they'll match any offer for Bogi. They have two players that may or may not be on the team next season. Parker has a player option, which he has previously stated he won't pick up. But who knows, he may have since changed his mind, and if so, that adds another 6.5 mil onto our total salaries.

Then there's Bjelica, where the team as the option on his contract for 7.1 mil. If we end up retaining both players, which is a possibility, and the cap for next season remains the same as this season, which has been rumored, then the Kings would only have 10.6 mil under the cap with which to resign Bazemore and then match whatever Bogi is offered. If Parker opt's out, then we'll have around 17.1 mil under the cap. We would have to sign Bazemore first with whatever money we have and then match Bogi's offer. That way I believe we can go over the cap to match his offer. I'm sure the Capt will correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe we would still have the mid-level exception which this season was around 9.3mil. Of course another possibility is that Parker walks and we don't pick up Beli's option. Then we would have around 23 mil under the cap. Anyway you look at it, there are some hard decisions to make. The only players under contract for next season are.

Players under contract:
Fox - 2 more years with 2nd year being an option year.
Joseph - 2 more years.
Bagley - 3 more years with 3rd year being an option year.
Holmes - 1 more year.
Hield - 4 more years.
Barnes - 3 more years.
James- 1 more year, non-guaranteed.

Players no longer under contract:
Len
Ferrell
Giles
Brewer

Two way players under contract:
Guy
Jeffries

I'd love to retain Len just to have a center with legit size but I have no idea what kind of money he'll be asking for. I hate to loose Giles, but I don't see how we keep him unless he's willing to take less money than offered elsewhere, and I would advise him not to, but hope he does. Your right about one thing, Vlade and company need to make some hard decisions on who is part of the core going forward. Maybe what's left of the season will help clarify that.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Parker has a player option, which he has previously stated he won't pick up. But who knows, he may have since changed his mind, and if so, that adds another 6.5 mil onto our total salaries.
I hadn't heard that he had said that. At this point, it seems like Parker not picking up that contract is the equivalent of scooping wheelbarrows of large bills into the fireplace. I figured it was a lock he'd be opting in.

Players under contract:
Fox - 2 more years with 2nd year being an option year.
Joseph - 2 more years.
Bagley - 3 more years with 3rd year being an option year.
James- 1 more year, non-guaranteed.
Just for accuracy's sake (because it's me, y'know):
Joseph: 1 + 1 team option (small guarantee on year two)
James: 1 + 1 team option (no guarantee on year two)
Fox: 1 + RFA year, but expect an extension this offseason
Bagley: 2 + RFA year

Yeah sadly the Giles hype appears to be just that. If Giles could hit the 10-15 ft jumper or better yet the 3 he would be dangerous with his passing. But sadly he doesn’t appear close and his man just sags and blocks the lane.

Jeffries looks to be a decent add but he is best as a 2-3 wing defender. At this point you can’t count on Bagley. If he gets better great but I suspect the Kings pick up his option and let him test the market in free agency to test his value. Right now, it doesn’t appear any of our 3 2nd round picks will be in the rotation.

I think the first order of business is revamping the scouting/player development department. I’m not sure how you can look at how many picks this team has had and the number of misses to continue forward.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Yeah sadly the Giles hype appears to be just that. If Giles could hit the 10-15 ft jumper or better yet the 3 he would be dangerous with his passing. But sadly he doesn’t appear close and his man just sags and blocks the lane.

Jeffries looks to be a decent add but he is best as a 2-3 wing defender. At this point you can’t count on Bagley. If he gets better great but I suspect the Kings pick up his option and let him test the market in free agency to test his value. Right now, it doesn’t appear any of our 3 2nd round picks will be in the rotation.

I think the first order of business is revamping the scouting/player development department. I’m not sure how you can look at how many picks this team has had and the number of misses to continue forward.
Giles is still young but unfortunately for him hes on a team that has too many big bodies already and is much better with less big bodies in the rotation. Certainly, Giles getting a shot down would help but in the end they want more role abilities from that same spot and even without Barnes in the lineup and Buddy coming off the bench he's not finding much opportunity within the offense. A young big with mostly offensive potential on a team chalk full of bigs that plays better when small. Eh, good luck Harry. The best thing that could happen to him is maybe he goes and finds a younger team that will give him the chance to perform and develop this summer. I still think going overseas could be in order. That would force him to develop his strength and size. Then look back at him in a few years. The Whiteside path could be a good one for him to follow if things keep trending this way. His game would also fit better overseas. They'd actually use his skills.

To Finish the Current Season:
PG - Fox (36 min) / Joseph (12 min)
SG - Hield (32 min) / Bogdan (16 min)
SF - Bogdan (16 min) / Bazemore (22 min) / Barnes (10 min)
PF - Barnes (22 min) / Bjelica (26 min)
C - Holmes (30 min) / Len (18 min)

Fox - 36 min
Hield - 32 min
Bogdan - 32 min
Barnes - 32 min
Holmes - 30 min
Bjelica - 26 min
Bazemore - 22 min
Len - 18 min
Joseph - 12 min

Ferrell/Guy/James/Brewer/Jeffries/Parker/Giles - Bench
Bagley - Injured

Next Season:
SF - Bogdan (16 min) / Barnes (16 min) / Vassell-S. Bey-Nesmith-P. Williams (16 min)
PF - Barnes (16 min) / Bjelica (24 min) / Bagley (8 min)
C - Holmes (28 min) / Bagley (20 min)

Fox - 36 min
Hield - 32 min
Bogdan - 32 min
Barnes - 32 min
Holmes - 28 min
Bagley - 28 min
Bjelica - 24 min
Vassell-S. Bey-Nesmith-P. Williams - 16 min
Joseph - 12 min

Guy/James/Jeffries/Parker/2020 DET 2nd/2020 SAC 2nd/2020 MIA 2nd - Bench

Considering we have Jeffries, James, and the 9th-12th pick in a pretty deep wing draft, I think we'll need to say goodbye to Bazemore (especially if we plan on keeping Hield, Bogdan, & Barnes as they'll likely cost us ~$60 mil between the three of them). If Len & Giles are willing to sign for the minimum/a couple mil, I'd take him back, but I don't see minutes for either of them with Bagley, Bjelica, & Holmes in the rotation (and Barnes playing small-ball PF).

I would like to trade Holmes & Bjelica in the offseason since we don't have Holmes bird rights (and Bagley & Holmes don't seem like a good fit on paper), and Bjelica is 32 years old and isn't on the same timeline as the rest of our core players, but not sure Vlade will be willing to take a step back next year so we can take a couple steps forward in the future. We could easily lose Bjelica & Holmes after next season, and we're left with nothing to show for it.

If Vlade has the job security to move Bjelica & Holmes for a couple late 1sts, I could see Len being a good resigning to give us a big C who rebounds & protects the rim not to mention he showed some ability to stretch the floor as well (which could make him a decent fit with Bagley in the interim).

Barnes at PF yes Bogi at SF absolutely not we’d get bullied especially with a weak defender at SF. We need to find a 3D guy to play SF and keep barnes at PF.

Target Gordon Hayward he’ll be a FA after next year so maybe Boston wouldn’t want to pay him. Offer Buddy and our lottery pick this year. We’d gain another playmaker on the wing averaging 17/6/4 and is a very good shooter.

lineup:
Fox/Joseph
Bogi/Bazemore
Hayward/Jeffries
Barnes/Giles
Holmes/Bagley

starting lineup would have multiple playmakers as well as shooters and we’d matchup with almost every team size wise

Barnes at PF yes Bogi at SF absolutely not we’d get bullied especially with a weak defender at SF. We need to find a 3D guy to play SF and keep barnes at PF.

Target Gordon Hayward he’ll be a FA after next year so maybe Boston wouldn’t want to pay him. Offer Buddy and our lottery pick this year. We’d gain another playmaker on the wing averaging 17/6/4 and is a very good shooter.

lineup:
Fox/Joseph
Bogi/Bazemore
Hayward/Jeffries
Barnes/Giles
Holmes/Bagley

starting lineup would have multiple playmakers as well as shooters and we’d matchup with almost every team size wise
Well of course a 3&D SF would be ideal, but those guys are hard to find and not easy to pry away from other teams. The point is to make the best of what we have.

And to that point, a lineup combination of Fox-Hield-Bogdan-Barnes had a Net RTG of +6.4 this season (537 minutes sample size), so there is some evidence it can work (and win on the floor). And although it is an extremely small sample size (28 minutes), a lineup of Fox-Hield-Bogdan-Barnes-Holmes had a Net RTG of +19.1 this season. Bogdan's standing reach & wingspan will allow him to hang with SFs. His strength is obviously a concern but every team has weaknesses, and I don't consider this one a make or break weakness when deciding on a lineup.

You expressed desire for a 3&D SF, but I'm not sure I would categorize Hayward as a 3&D SF. He's also 30 years old which makes the trade you suggested sort of short sided from my view point (especially since you're sending out our lottery pick). You're basically limiting the ceiling and saying "this is it."

The 3&D SF you desire can possibly be found in the draft this year. Vassell, S. Bey, Nesmith, & P. Williams are all decent options (with my preference being Vassell or S. Bey). When (if) that rookie develops, you have the roster construction you seem to be after:

SG - Hield (30 min) / Bogdan (18 min)
SF - Bey (30 min) / Bogdan (12 min) / Barnes (6 min)
PF - Barnes (24 min) / Bjelica (12 min) / Bagley (12 min)
C - Holmes (30 min) / Bagley (18 min)

Fox - 36 min
Hield - 30 min
Bogdan - 30 min
Bey - 30 min
Barnes - 30 min
Holmes - 30 min
Bagley - 30 min
Joseph - 12 min
Bjelica - 12 min

You still have three great floor spacers in Hield, Bey, & Barnes around Fox, but you have two good, big wings who can defend the perimeter and be versatile (Bey & Barnes). If Fox continues to develop defensively, that gives you 4 average to above-average defenders in the starting lineup.

Then you have Bogdan & Bagley off the bench to give us a scoring punch. I think they would be a good PnR tandem as well against 2nd units.

Last edited:
Well of course a 3&D SF would be ideal, but those guys are hard to find and not easy to pry away from other teams. The point is to make the best of what we have.

And to that point, a lineup combination of Fox-Hield-Bogdan-Barnes had a Net RTG of +6.4 this season (537 minutes sample size), so there is some evidence it can work (and win on the floor). And although it is an extremely small sample size (28 minutes), a lineup of Fox-Hield-Bogdan-Barnes-Holmes had a Net RTG of +19.1 this season. Bogdan's standing reach & wingspan will allow him to hang with SFs. His strength is obviously a concern but every team has weaknesses, and I don't consider this one a make or break weakness when deciding on a lineup.

You expressed desire for a 3&D SF, but I'm not sure I would categorize Hayward as a 3&D SF. He's also 30 years old which makes the trade you suggested sort of short sided from my view point (especially since you're sending out our lottery pick). You're basically limiting the ceiling and saying "this is it."

The 3&D SF you desire can possibly be found in the draft this year. Vassell, S. Bey, Nesmith, & P. Williams are all decent options (with my preference being Vassell or S. Bey). When (if) that rookie develops, you have the roster construction you seem to be after:

SG - Hield (30 min) / Bogdan (18 min)
SF - Bey (30 min) / Bogdan (12 min) / Barnes (6 min)
PF - Barnes (24 min) / Bjelica (12 min) / Bagley (12 min)
C - Holmes (30 min) / Bagley (18 min)

Fox - 36 min
Hield - 30 min
Bogdan - 30 min
Bey - 30 min
Barnes - 30 min
Holmes - 30 min
Bagley - 30 min
Joseph - 12 min
Bjelica - 12 min

You still have three great floor spacers in Hield, Bey, & Barnes around Fox, but you have two good, big wings who can defend the perimeter and be versatile (Bey & Barnes). If Fox continues to develop defensively, that gives you 4 average to above-average defenders in the starting lineup.

Then you have Bogdan & Bagley off the bench to give us a scoring punch. I think they would be a good PnR tandem as well against 2nd units.
I’d love a 3D guy but Hayward is a homer in get for us there no way we could do better than him he’s an all star talent. With Gordon we’d have 2 good playmakers plus Bogi, he’s the 4th option on Boston and is still averaging 4apg. Yes he’s 30 but he has 4-5 more years in him plus we don’t need a roster of 25 year old were in win now.

I’d love a 3D guy but Hayward is a homer in get for us there no way we could do better than him he’s an all star talent. With Gordon we’d have 2 good playmakers plus Bogi, he’s the 4th option on Boston and is still averaging 4apg. Yes he’s 30 but he has 4-5 more years in him plus we don’t need a roster of 25 year old were in win now.
What makes you think he resigns with us? Hayward could easily just walk and then we’re left with nothing.

You mentioned we get an all star talent. He has only been an all star 1 time out of 10 seasons and that came 4 seasons ago.

You mentioned he has 4 or 5 more seasons in him. Let’a say he does for the sake of your argument, do you think he’s going to be “an all star talent” for all 4-5 of those years? Or is it more realistic that his game will start to decline?

Fox is 22. In 4-5 years, he’ll be entering his prime while guys like Hield, Bogdan, Barnes, & Holmes will be towards the end of their prime. Hayward, on the other hand, may be retired or contemplating retirement.

I think using Hield and our lottery pick to bring in an expiring, 30 year old Hayward is a very short sided move.

To Finish the Current Season:
SF - Bogdan (16 min) / Bazemore (22 min) / Barnes (10 min)
PF - Barnes (22 min) / Bjelica (26 min)
C - Holmes (30 min) / Len (18 min)

Fox - 36 min
Hield - 32 min
Bogdan - 32 min
Barnes - 32 min
Holmes - 30 min
Bjelica - 26 min
Bazemore - 22 min
Len - 18 min
Joseph - 12 min

Ferrell/Guy/James/Brewer/Jeffries/Parker/Giles - Bench
Bagley - Injured

Next Season:
SF - Bogdan (16 min) / Barnes (16 min) / Vassell-S. Bey-Nesmith-P. Williams (16 min)
PF - Barnes (16 min) / Bjelica (24 min) / Bagley (8 min)
C - Holmes (28 min) / Bagley (20 min)

Fox - 36 min
Hield - 32 min
Bogdan - 32 min
Barnes - 32 min
Holmes - 28 min
Bagley - 28 min
Bjelica - 24 min
Vassell-S. Bey-Nesmith-P. Williams - 16 min
Joseph - 12 min

Guy/James/Jeffries/Parker/2020 DET 2nd/2020 SAC 2nd/2020 MIA 2nd - Bench

Considering we have Jeffries, James, and the 9th-12th pick in a pretty deep wing draft, I think we'll need to say goodbye to Bazemore (especially if we plan on keeping Hield, Bogdan, & Barnes as they'll likely cost us ~$60 mil between the three of them). If Len & Giles are willing to sign for the minimum/a couple mil, I'd take him back, but I don't see minutes for either of them with Bagley, Bjelica, & Holmes in the rotation (and Barnes playing small-ball PF).

I would like to trade Holmes & Bjelica in the offseason since we don't have Holmes bird rights (and Bagley & Holmes don't seem like a good fit on paper), and Bjelica is 32 years old and isn't on the same timeline as the rest of our core players, but not sure Vlade will be willing to take a step back next year so we can take a couple steps forward in the future. We could easily lose Bjelica & Holmes after next season, and we're left with nothing to show for it.

If Vlade has the job security to move Bjelica & Holmes for a couple late 1sts, I could see Len being a good resigning to give us a big C who rebounds & protects the rim not to mention he showed some ability to stretch the floor as well (which could make him a decent fit with Bagley in the interim).
I mean.. why? We're already going to be maxed out and Im fairly certain we have Bazemore's bird rights. I wouldn't want to go overboard obviously, but I'd be real interested in like a 3/18- 3/21 type of deal. I'd hope Vivek is willing to shell out for this core, since we really don't have a choice with paying Barnes/Buddy and Bogi/Fox extensions coming up.

Do you think Holmes gets more than 8.75 mil in the open market? Like I'm fairly certain we could give something close to 4/40 for him going over the cap. To me, that seems fairly close to what his market value should be.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The man is getting paid like Lebron, has significant usage/injury concerns, and wouldn't help this team's defense much.

I mean.. why? We're already going to be maxed out and Im fairly certain we have Bazemore's bird rights. I wouldn't want to go overboard obviously, but I'd be real interested in like a 3/18- 3/21 type of deal. I'd hope Vivek is willing to shell out for this core, since we really don't have a choice with paying Barnes/Buddy and Bogi/Fox extensions coming up.
Well just because we're maxed out doesn't mean management is going to want to pay that big of a payroll for a team who has yet to make the playoffs, but let's play this out (it's fun for me)...

Under Contract: Buddy Hield = $26,431,817
Under Contract: Harrison Barnes = $22,215,909
Under Contract:
Cory Joseph = $12,600,000
Under Contract: Marvin Bagley = $8,963,640
Under Contract: De'Aaron Fox = $8,099,627
Under Contract: Richaun Holmes = $5,005,350
Under Contract: Justin James = $1,517,981
Player Option: Jabari Parker = $6,500,000
Team Option: Nemanja Bjelica = $7,150,000
Restricted Free Agent:
Bogdan Bogdanovic (Qualifying Offer = $10,661,733 and Cap Hold = $15,992,600)
Unrestricted Free Agent: Kent Bazemore (Bird Rights Cap Hold = $28,904,493)
Unrestricted Free Agent: Alex Len (No Bird Rights)
Unrestricted Free Agent: Yogi Ferrell (No Bird Rights)
Unrestricted Free Agent: Harry Giles (Max We Can Offer Per Year = $3,976,510)
Two-Way Player: Kyle Guy
Two-Way Player: DaQuan Jeffries
Draft Pick: 2020 SAC 1st (#9 - 17 = $3,123,960 - $4,709,160)
Draft Pick: 2020 DET 2nd (#35)
Draft Pick: 2020 SAC 2nd (#39 - 47)
Draft Pick: 2020 MIA 2nd (#48 - 58)

Guaranteed Payroll = $87,958,284 - $89,543,484
Payroll w/ Options = $101,608,284 - $103,193,484
Payroll w/ Options & Restricted Cap Holds = $117,600,884 - $119,186,084
Payroll w/ Options & All Cap Holds = $146,505,377 - $148,090,577

Realistically, I think...
  • Parker will opt in
  • Bjelica's option will be picked up
  • Bogdan will be resigned (I could see a declining $70 mil/4 year deal with the 4th year being a team option)

That leaves us with a payroll of $121,608,284 - $123,193,484 (and the salary cap was projected to be $115 mil before China & the Corona Virus) so we're already at least $6-8 mil over the cap (and likely more after they adjust it) for a team that hasn't reached the playoffs. This leaves us with 11 roster spots accounted for (Hield, Barnes, Joseph, Bagley, Fox, Holmes, James, Parker, Bjelica, Bogdanovic, & 2020 SAC 1st). With just 4 spots left, we have the following players to choose from:
  • 2020 DET 2nd
  • 2020 SAC 2nd
  • 2020 MIA 2nd
  • Kyle Guy
  • DaQuan Jeffries
  • Kent Bazemore
  • Harry Giles
  • Alex Len (minimum or exception)
  • Yogi Ferrell (minimum or exception)
  • Other FA (minimum or exception)

I like what I see from Jeffries, and we should give him a guaranteed contract (so another team can't scoop him up). I also think it would be worth keeping the 2020 DET 2nd and 2020 SAC 2nd as they're relatively early 2nds. I think Kyle Guy & the MIA 2nd can be two way contracts which means we now have 14 roster spots taken up (Hield, Barnes, Joseph, Bagley, Fox, Holmes, James, Parker, Bjelica, Bogdanovic, 2020 SAC 1st, Jeffries, 2020 DET 2nd, & 2020 SAC 2nd). That brings our payroll up to $124,447,913 - $126,033,113 with 1 roster spot left and the following rotation in place.

PG - Fox / Joseph
SG - Hield / James
SF - Bogdanovic / Jeffries
PF - Barnes / Bjelica / Parker
C - Holmes / Bagley
Draft Picks - SAC 1st / DET 2nd / SAC 2nd

I could easily see us taking someone like Vassell, S. Bey, Nesmith, or P . Williams with out 1st round pick. That means we'd have Hield, James, Bogdanovic, Jeffries, S. Bey, & Barnes who can all play SG/SF, and I'd prefer to have some minutes up for grabs so James, Jeffries, & S. Bey could compete for that last spot in the rotation (e.g., Hield, Bogdanovic, Barnes, & Player X). I think that would allow those young guys to compete & develop their game over time (let the best man win).

If we resign Bazemore, he may help more in the short term, but at 31 years old, I'd prefer to invest in the young guys we have to see if we can develop a young, cheap 3&D wing that will be on the same timeline as our core.

Do you think Holmes gets more than 8.75 mil in the open market? Like I'm fairly certain we could give something close to 4/40 for him going over the cap. To me, that seems fairly close to what his market value should be.
In the 2021 offseason, let's say we...
  • Resigned Bogdan to a $70 mil/4 year declining deal
  • Waive Joseph
  • Gave Fox a max extension prior to the offseason
  • Do not resign Bjelica
...we'll likely be over the 2021-22 salary cap. We don't have Holmes bird rights so we can only resign him with cap room (which we won't have) or an exception. The MLE is projected to be $10,183,800 for the 2021-22 season (but perhaps that will change after China and the Corona Virus). That's the max we can offer him.

Is $10,183,800 enough? I'd think so. It might even be an overpay seeing what defensive, rim running Cs are going for these days. The interesting thing will be how does Bagley fit in (if he does). Like if Bagley picks up his defense, and can handle the C spot, should we look to resign Holmes to a $10 mil/year deal? They wouldn't really be able to share the floor together with neither of them being good floor spacers. Now if Bagley dramatically improves his shot or if Bagley just turns into a complete bust (thus we shouldn't even consider him part of the core), then maybe paying someone like Holmes $10 mil/year makes sense.

Bagley's performance next year and how he looks on the floor with someone like Holmes is going to be the deciding factor for me, but like I mentioned in another post, I wouldn't take that risk. I'd move both Bjelica & Holmes for some 1st round picks to avoid losing them for nothing. However, I'm not sure if Vlade could survive sacrificing the ability to win now for a better, safer, long term vision.

The crucial difference between Bird rights and Early Bird rights involves limits on contract offers. While Bird players can receive maximum salary deals for up to five years, the Early Bird exception cannot be used to offer a max deal. The most a team can offer an Early Bird free agent is 175% of his previous salary or 104.5% of the league-average salary, whichever is greater. These offers are also capped at four years rather than five, and must be for at least two years.

Basemore has Bird, Len, Yogi have early bird

We can offer Len 1.75% of 4.16 Mil prev salary so 7.26 mil for a good backup C? Yes
We can offer more to Basemore than teams with no cap- so advantage Kings but not too much please
I think it might depend on If Bogi signs extension, or QO at 10.6m, or we match up to 15m?
If no Bogie then Basemore could be backup plan
I dont see us paying Yogi 4-5 mil for 3rd string PG

If we keep Belly, and parker opts in, we have 9 guys at 98mil
Fox,Cojo
Buddy,James
Barnes
Bagley,Belly,Parker
Holmes

My guess:
Fox,Cojo,1st rd (4M)
Buddy,Bogi(15M),James
Barnes, Base(7M),Jeffries (1.5M)
Bagley,Belly,Parker
Holmes,Len(7.M),2nd (1.5m)

Man that's still a lot of money (like 134M?)
But would love to keep Bogi and Base, and we really need a full size C like Len
I suppose we could use 1st rd on a full size C instead of Len
Then use 2nd rd or Kyle Guy on 3rd PG

OK I changed my mind
Based on the awful performance in bubble, I don't see vivek making any expensive changes for next year
He will keep Vlade and Luke
and will give Vlade a min budget to work with

If we keep Belly, and parker opts in, we have 9 guys at 98mil
Fox,Cojo
Buddy,James
Barnes
Bagley,Belly,Parker
Holmes

Either Bogi accepts Qual offer at 10 mil, or we offer 7-8 Mil to Base
I don't see signing both, we will not match a Bogi 15 mil offer, Maybe 12 Mil
After Bogi or Base we have 10 Players the remaining 5 except #1 pick will be min contracts
We wont spend 7 Mil on Len or 4Mil on Yogi
If we are lucky Giles does not get the big offer and we get him for 4M
I think Min guys will be Guy, Jeffries, and 2nd pick

So we end up with:

Fox,Cojo, Guy
Buddy,(Bogi or Base),James
Barnes, Jeffries, (1st or 2nd)
Bagley,Belly,Parker
Holmes, Giles, 1st or 2nd)

Only other thing will be sign Fox extension

i actually see us trading Buddy and signing Bogi and Baze.
That would be unfortunate if it did occur. Bogdan is a decent player, but that explosiveness Buddy can bring when used right is a game changer. Bogdan on a team full of game changers would be a better fit but that ain't here. If there are major alterations to the FO I think the next GM will look to keep the cap as fluid as they can and look for sign and trades with the free agents. This bubble showing was so bad that even though anyone with common sense can see the talent there and the moments of proper usage being a possible foundation you simply can't justify adding more long term contracts to your cap. Fox has an extension coming up, and Bagley isn't too long after. They need to condense the rotation to at the very least start building trade value.

We should trade Buddy and S&T bogi. To many Flaws in those guys.
Buddy and Bogdan should have been able to play together and in the process cover up some of those flaws, but that chance is now officially squandered. If I'm Bogdan I want out as quick as I can. If Buddy does as well then you have smooth something over with someone.

So does anyone think Cojo was an 9 million dollar upgrade on Yogi? He didn't mesh too well with Bogi when they came off the bench together, and dribbled a lot for a guy who didn't make much happen on offense. Not to mention his presence in two PG lineups, which took away time from the supposed crowded SG position.
He is someone they should look to dump if they want to free up a little cash for elsewhere on the roster.

We need to nail this upcoming draft to restore some faith. I’ve enjoyed BajaDens coverage of prospects and it appears there should be some good choices where we pick.
From the discussions on these boards my take away is to field offers for Buddy. I don’t like the sound of any guard that doesn’t create for others and he seems to be a bit of a malcontent.
I too have lost faith in Vlade’s ability to draft and improve this team so would welcome a change. At present Joe Dumars sounds like a fair candidate.
Then minor tweaks. I like Holmes, Baze, and Len but don’t expect them all to remain Kings.

That would be unfortunate if it did occur. Bogdan is a decent player, but that explosiveness Buddy can bring when used right is a game changer. Bogdan on a team full of game changers would be a better fit but that ain't here. If there are major alterations to the FO I think the next GM will look to keep the cap as fluid as they can and look for sign and trades with the free agents. This bubble showing was so bad that even though anyone with common sense can see the talent there and the moments of proper usage being a possible foundation you simply can't justify adding more long term contracts to your cap. Fox has an extension coming up, and Bagley isn't too long after. They need to condense the rotation to at the very least start building trade value.
No reason to pay that much for a sixth man who can’t create and is a defensive liability