TV - What's your passion (NON-sports)?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Here are my updated rankings for Mr. Slim's personal Top 10 shows of the 2019-20 season*, as of June 19, 2020:

1. Watchmen (-)
  2. Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (NR)
  3. The Good Place (-1)
  4. S.W.A.T. (-1)
  5. Arrow (-1)
  6. Stumptown (-1)
  7. DC's Legends of Tomorrow (+1)
  8. Vagrant Queen (NR)
  9. Supergirl (-)
  10. Batwoman (-3)

* - excludes streaming-exclusive shows

Falling out of the Top Ten: The Flash (-6), Good Girls (-4)

(NR) - Not Previously Ranked
Ranking increase noted in
blue
Ranking decrease noted in red

The Flash had a strong comeback, after the crossover, but the shutdown killed its momentum dead. Same thing happened to Supergirl. Good Girls was also hurt by the shutdown, but it wasn't having nearly as strong a season, and didn't have the margin for error to afford the drop off.

One other item of note: this is the first time, in the three years since I started doing this, that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. did not debut at Number One. If that doesn't tell you how highly I thought of Watchmen, I don't know what else could... I am also slightly anxious for what my 2020-21 rankings will look like, whenever they get back to filming television, since four of my Top 5 shows have/will have ended by then.

The new Perry Mason on HBO is fantastic
Also thoroughly enjoying the golden state killer doc on HBO
Unfortunately with these 2 shows coinciding with Yellowstone on Sunday’s, I’m now behind on that lol

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The new Perry Mason on HBO is fantastic
Also thoroughly enjoying the golden state killer doc on HBO
Unfortunately with these 2 shows coinciding with Yellowstone on Sunday’s, I’m now behind on that lol
Catch up as quickly as you can. As good as it was last season, it's easily just as good if not better thus far this season. :)

Without spoiling anything, I'm just going to say there was one scene when I honestly applauded. I'll be interested in seeing if you can figure out which one it was. ;)
will let you know once caught up. I’m now intrigued
I’m pretty disappointed with myself. Yellowstone has always been a show that I have to watch that night. But now with these other shows that I watch with my wife, I’m so tired on sundays lately to watch it after those 2 lol. I’m getting older and my 3 and 5 year old kids are literally with me 24/7 lately o_O

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
United We Fall premiered tonight on ABC. I think it's a keeper, provided they can keep up the writing.

Favorite line thus far:

Mom: I love her (referring to their 6 year old daughter) but she's just strange.

Dad; You know, she names all her bananas and then does their screams while she eats them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
will let you know once caught up. I’m now intrigued
I’m pretty disappointed with myself. Yellowstone has always been a show that I have to watch that night. But now with these other shows that I watch with my wife, I’m so tired on sundays lately to watch it after those 2 lol. I’m getting older and my 3 and 5 year old kids are literally with me 24/7 lately o_O
Did you get caught up yet?

United We Fall premiered tonight on ABC. I think it's a keeper, provided they can keep up the writing.

Favorite line thus far:

Mom: I love her (referring to their 6 year old daughter) but she's just strange.

Dad; You know, she names all her bananas and then does their screams while she eats them.
I did however just watch an episode of this. Was pretty funny. I really like Will Sasso

Did you get caught up yet?
Ok, it took me sacrificing sleep, a lot of wine and falling asleep on the couch, but I am almost caught up. Finished episode 4 last night. Fantastic season. Now refresh my memory, what episode did you mention a specific scene that you wanted to see if I would pick up on?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ok, it took me sacrificing sleep, a lot of wine and falling asleep on the couch, but I am almost caught up. Finished episode 4 last night. Fantastic season. Now refresh my memory, what episode did you mention a specific scene that you wanted to see if I would pick up on?
Episode 4 - Going Back to Cali

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
lol now I feel like I need to rewatch it, was starting to get tired once I was at episode 4. Did it have to do with the bikers?
Yep,

The ranch hands are fighting the bikers. Rip shows up and immediately mows down all the bikes. Pretty apparent he wasn't worrying about losing the fight at all. He made sure none of them could get away. I love his character!

Yep,

The ranch hands are fighting the bikers. Rip shows up and immediately mows down all the bikes. Pretty apparent he wasn't worrying about losing the fight at all. He made sure none of them could get away. I love his character!
yup.
Was a boss move. Rolls up, with Lloyd I believe, and without hesitating both just jump into the fray."]Was a boss move. Rolls up, with Lloyd I believe, and without hesitating both just jump into the fray
.[/SPOILER]
Sorry not sure how to do the hide spoiler thing

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
yup. Was a boss move. Rolls up, with Lloyd I believe, and without hesitating both just jump into the fray.
Sorry not sure how to do the hide spoiler thing
When typing a post, highlight the text you want to spoiler and then look for the little "..." and down arrow to the right of the smiley face button above the dialogue box you are typing in. Boom.

1595794661717.png

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
DC has been working on perfecting the CW superhero TV show for almost a decade now and Stargirl is the first time where I think they've perfected that balance of superhero show and teenage melodrama. (Also I love the JSA and Luke Wilson so I naturally love this show)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
DC has been working on perfecting the CW superhero TV show for almost a decade now and Stargirl is the first time where I think they've perfected that balance of superhero show and teenage melodrama. (Also I love the JSA and Luke Wilson so I naturally love this show)
I love the mythology of Pat Dugan. Do I dare have a comic book nerd-out about that?

If you're not following along with the movie draft, you might want to check out my last few posts in that thread, before you answer that.

Last edited:

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I watched the first couple episodes and while I enjoyed the concept, it was too teenage melodrama-y for my taste. To each their own. :)

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I watched the first couple episodes and while I enjoyed the concept, it was too teenage melodrama-y for my taste. To each their own. :)
It gets better, like waaaaayyyyy better, around episode 5 or 6.

The melodrama is still there, as any work of fiction that is set in high school should, but the pace starts picking up once the team starts coming together. Of course, I am watching the show as someone who's read a lot of the stuff this is based off of so some of my joy just might be coming from a "Wow, they're really incorporating all of that from the comics" stance. Also the few changes they have made from the comics only serve to improve the story from my point of view.

The cinematography on this show is probably the best overall in superhero TV aside from some of the gimmicky tracking shots in Daredevil and the VFX work is employed well enough that the show can stay on budget without occasionally looking really really cheap and/or having to fire their most expensive cast members *coughcoughLegendsofTomorrowcough*

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
It gets better, like waaaaayyyyy better, around episode 5 or 6.

The melodrama is still there, as any work of fiction that is set in high school should, but the pace starts picking up once the team starts coming together. Of course, I am watching the show as someone who's read a lot of the stuff this is based off of so some of my joy just might be coming from a "Wow, they're really incorporating all of that from the comics" stance. Also the few changes they have made from the comics only serve to improve the story from my point of view.

The cinematography on this show is probably the best overall in superhero TV aside from some of the gimmicky tracking shots in Daredevil and the VFX work is employed well enough that the show can stay on budget without occasionally looking really really cheap and/or having to fire their most expensive cast members *coughcoughLegendsofTomorrowcough*
Thanks, but I'll take your word for it. I've never read the comics this was based on so I don't have that "draw". I've got more on my plate to watch now than I can handle, and that's enough. :)

I stopped watching Batwoman, Stargirl, Legends, and Arrow last year. Still like Flash, Supergirl, Black Lightning, Agents of Shield, Blacklist (and one or two more? - hard to remember with no new episodes recently). Just watched the last episode of Blindspot the other day and the ending was a bit of a letdown (vague ending that didn't satisfy me).

2 episodes away from finishing Peaky Blinders. Outstanding series. For me, as good as anything I’ve streamed. Binge worthy. The good news I read is that there will be a season 6....delayed due to COVID like many other productions.

Also, signed up for HBO Max....actually dumped HBO off Direct tv and just joined it for the same price just because I’m able to pull up more stuff like Succession which is a series I’ve been told about and will watch.

For the Ridley Scott fans out there, he has a series coming in September called Raised by Wolves. I’m a big Sci Fi fan and the trailer for this has me excited. Sure looks like the planet from Aliens but it is not but has that feel.