[Game] Kings v. Heat - 7/22 - 5 PT

Entity

Hall of Famer
I admit to getting chills just hearing the voice of the G-Man.
I never listened to him because I’m on east coast. I’m know he is a staple for the franchise. But I miss grant. G-man damn near put me to sleep. Reminded me of baseball play by play. Monotone even doug seemed drab.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If you have a Roku tv, you can add the NBCSports app. It will have you verify with your cable or satellite server. It sometimes has the game listed under replay a little after the game ends.
Excellent advice.

No Roku here, but I do have an AppleTV. I had always thought the apps (like NBCSports app) were pretty useless because all they had was a few random clips, but I didn't realize you could go to settings and sign in for tons more access. Looks like I *can* get these Kings games on AppleTV after signing in!

Some notes

-Bazemore is a really solid all around two way player, I can see him closing a lot of games.

-Jabari Parker looked slimmer and more explosive. Does a lot of the same things Bagley does(inside scoring, terrible defense). He could be useful off the bench.

-I see no reason why Buddy isn't starting. Walton has been awful and has completely botched his handling of Buddy.

-Bjelicia looked lighter and a little quicker on offense at least.

-Jeffries has the tools to stick in the league. Built like a rock and long, prototype 3 and D wing.

-Love Giles's passing but I don't see him playing over Holmes or even Len.

I never listened to him because I’m on east coast. I’m know he is a staple for the franchise. But I miss grant. G-man damn near put me to sleep. Reminded me of baseball play by play. Monotone even doug seemed drab.
Eh, G-Man is a far superior pbp man. Not even close IMO. Peaches wasn’t bad, but he‘s a bit over the top and, of course, always had to jinx the team with the predicitable “can’t allow a 3 here” BS.

G-Man is as seasoned professional as it gets. He’s also able to call a game where opposing fans that didn’t know him wouldn’t realize that he‘s for the other team.

Last edited:
Excellent advice.

No Roku here, but I do have an AppleTV. I had always thought the apps (like NBCSports app) were pretty useless because all they had was a few random clips, but I didn't realize you could go to settings and sign in for tons more access. Looks like I *can* get these Kings games on AppleTV after signing in!
I believe it depends upon where you’re located. If you aren’t GPS located within KINGS territorial rights area, it should be blacked out for you.

Some notes

-Bazemore is a really solid all around two way player, I can see him closing a lot of games.

-Jabari Parker looked slimmer and more explosive. Does a lot of the same things Bagley does(inside scoring, terrible defense). He could be useful off the bench.

-I see no reason why Buddy isn't starting. Walton has been awful and has completely botched his handling of Buddy.

-Bjelicia looked lighter and a little quicker on offense at least.

-Jeffries has the tools to stick in the league. Built like a rock and long, prototype 3 and D wing.

-Love Giles's passing but I don't see him playing over Holmes or even Len.
I know it’s been almost a full off-season since the season was postponed but Buddy has only played well this season when coming off the bench. It wasnt a quick hook either. We stuck with a struggling Buddy starting for 44 games and chances are you couldn’t find more than a few objectively good performances by Buddy.

All of his numbers got better when he went to the bench.

Plus the Kings started playing better

15-29 when Buddy was moved to the bench and 13-7 afterwards. There’s really no way to spin Buddy being moved to the bench as anything but a good move.

that doesn’t mean Buddy should always be a bench guy and maybe now is a good time to insert him back as we know he can be a productive starter but saying the handling of a Buddy has been botched when numbers show it was salvaged just isn’t true

I know it’s been almost a full off-season since the season was postponed but Buddy has only played well this season when coming off the bench. It wasnt a quick hook either. We stuck with a struggling Buddy starting for 44 games and chances are you couldn’t find more than a few objectively good performances by Buddy.

15-29 when Buddy was moved to the bench and 13-7 afterwards. There’s really no way to spin Buddy being moved to the bench as anything but a good move.

that doesn’t mean Buddy should always be a bench guy and maybe now is a good time to insert him back as we know he can be a productive starter but saying the handling of a Buddy has been botched when numbers show it was salvaged just isn’t true
It's a misnomer really and one can't deny schedule playing a factor. The Kings ended up having a very favorable situation game to game either by other teams injuries or opponent level. At the end of the day almost all legit net positive 5 man units in terms of plus minus feature Buddy. This team is vastly better with him on the floor. That losing record had other factors involved the most major of which was a reluctance to play small. I think at one point the only positive net rating unit was with Ariza and Barnes at the forward spots. This team is better with Buddy on the floor and the stats back that up so him playing 25 mpg as it was trending prior to the break was going to become a major issue at some point.

This is absolutely a "causation doesn't equal correlation" type of deal. How do we know that the team vastly improved because Buddy went to the bench?

As Sactownkid said, basically every good lineup the Kings have includes Buddy in it. And from a stylistic team construction point, Buddy gets maximized far better playing with Fox because he doesn't have the same playmaking/ball-handling duties that he does when he comes off the bench playing next to Corey Joseph. Fox/Buddy, Cojo/Bogi complement each other's skill-sets far better than Fox/Bogi, Cojo/Buddy.

And a ridiculous 8’8” standing reach. Barnes has a 8’6” standing reach as a comparison.

And it’s been reported that he has a 42 inch vertical as well (not sure how reliable that is though).
hooooly.

Yeah with that wing span, would have no issue him guarding SF's. Height has always kind of been overrated for defenders; wingspan, athleticism, standing reach are often better indicators.

Nice scrimmage to watch. Butler and Dragic each played 11 minutes for Miami. Players who did not play - Bam, Nunn, Fox, HB, Holmes, Len and Bagley.

Kings played pretty well. Buddy found his shot, Bjelly played a nice all around game. Jeffries was a pleasant surprise.

This is absolutely a "causation doesn't equal correlation" type of deal. How do we know that the team vastly improved because Buddy went to the bench?

As Sactownkid said, basically every good lineup the Kings have includes Buddy in it. And from a stylistic team construction point, Buddy gets maximized far better playing with Fox because he doesn't have the same playmaking/ball-handling duties that he does when he comes off the bench playing next to Corey Joseph. Fox/Buddy, Cojo/Bogi complement each other's skill-sets far better than Fox/Bogi, Cojo/Buddy.
probably because it started immediately when he went to the bench. Not gradually or a game or two later, he became Buddy again when he was moved to the bench. Besides, I’m not arguing that he should remain on the bench. I’m just saying Walton moving him to the bench was the correct move at the time and there is really no objective way to say it was mishandled. Whether it is the a better fit or simply lit a fire under Buddy. It was the right move. You can’t just blow off the results not only for the team, but for Buddys overall performance by saying they aren’t related or coincidental. I think people are forgetting just how poorly Buddy was playing the entire season before he got well after the move.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You're really at disadvantage here as opposed to long-time Kings fans in Northern California who often had no way to see/hear the games except for the voice of Gary Gerould. Hearing him broadcast the games (sometimes only via AudioLP) was a beacon in the night. He loves the game, he loves the team, he loves the fans - and it shows through every time he opens his mouth. To a lot of us, the Kings without the voice of Gary Gerould would be like a root beer float without the ice cream. Regardless of how one might feel about the departure of Grant Napear, I think the vast majority of fans are very pleased with his replacement (even if it is only for a certain period of time). The G-Man is truly one of the nicest guy in sports and the Kings and the fans are incredibly lucky to have him.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Eh, G-Man is a far superior pbp man. Not even close IMO. Peaches wasn’t bad, but he‘s a bit over the top and, of course, always had to jinx the team with the predicitable “can’t allow a 3 here” BS.

G-Man is as seasoned professional as it gets. He’s also able to call a game where opposing fans that didn’t know him wouldn’t realize that he‘s for the other team.
But Kings fans know how deep his roots with the Kings are and truly appreciate that he doesn't drool over opposing players at the expense of our own.

Walton is not using Buddy right. He hardly runs any off ball plays for him. Using him too much as a ballhandler in pick and rolls. There is value to that but Buddy should primarily be used like Ray Allen or Klay Thompson. The gravity his shooting ability generates is massive. Buddy also works better with Fox, getting pull up looks off of his penetration and in transition. We haven't seen them together much this season(injuries played a part). Joerger had Fox and Buddy looking like the third best backcourt in the league last season. Walton hasn't been good imo.

Walton is not using Buddy right. He hardly runs any off ball plays for him. Using him too much as a ballhandler in pick and rolls. There is value to that but Buddy should primarily be used like Ray Allen or Klay Thompson. The gravity his shooting ability generates is massive. Buddy also works better with Fox, getting pull up looks off of his penetration and in transition. We haven't seen them together much this season(injuries played a part). Joerger had Fox and Buddy looking like the third best backcourt in the league last season. Walton hasn't been good imo.
A lot of our offense remains somewhat iso-based. When Fox was out it was give the ball to Buddy/Bogi/Barnes and get out of the way, and when Fox returned it was the same thing just with Fox instead. There is very little screening and freeing up of guys off the ball - somewhat a Kings specialty now for the last decade. This is where guys like Alex Len made such big and instant impacts.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
hooooly.

Yeah with that wing span, would have no issue him guarding SF's. Height has always kind of been overrated for defenders; wingspan, athleticism, standing reach are often better indicators.
I've said many times that the most meaningful measurement is the standing reach measurement. Jeffries definitely has the standing reach of most SF's and some PF's. I don't know about his 42" vertical, but he definitely has some hops.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
It's a misnomer really and one can't deny schedule playing a factor. The Kings ended up having a very favorable situation game to game either by other teams injuries or opponent level. At the end of the day almost all legit net positive 5 man units in terms of plus minus feature Buddy. This team is vastly better with him on the floor. That losing record had other factors involved the most major of which was a reluctance to play small. I think at one point the only positive net rating unit was with Ariza and Barnes at the forward spots. This team is better with Buddy on the floor and the stats back that up so him playing 25 mpg as it was trending prior to the break was going to become a major issue at some point.
What your saying simply doesn't pass the eye test. I saw every single game this season, and Buddy struggled early in the season. Between Nov 19th, and Dec 28, a 20 game span, Buddy shot 33.6% from the three. He didn't make a ton of turnovers, but he did make them at precisely the wrong time, usually as a momentum killer. At the time he was going up against the other teams 1st unit, which was paying a lot of attention to Buddy, forcing him into taking a lot of bad shots. Once coming off the bench, he was able to get better shots against the other teams 2nd unit.

Now that's what my eye's saw, so I don't really care what some five man unit stats say. I know what I saw! In fairness, I lay some of the responsibility on Walton because he tried to make Buddy into a play maker, which is isn't. Here's the thing, when Buddy's on the floor, and he's not scoring, he's worthless, because he's a bad defender and he makes too many mistakes trying to create for others. In the 20 game span, Buddy was doing more to hurt the team and help the team.

By the way, I like Buddy. He's a hard worker and he always gives the effort, except on defense. Buddy is a good player, but he's not a great player. When your the focus of the other teams defense, you find out how good you really are.

What your saying simply doesn't pass the eye test. I saw every single game this season, and Buddy struggled early in the season. Between Nov 19th, and Dec 28, a 20 game span, Buddy shot 33.6% from the three. He didn't make a ton of turnovers, but he did make them at precisely the wrong time, usually as a momentum killer. At the time he was going up against the other teams 1st unit, which was paying a lot of attention to Buddy, forcing him into taking a lot of bad shots. Once coming off the bench, he was able to get better shots against the other teams 2nd unit.

Now that's what my eye's saw, so I don't really care what some five man unit stats say. I know what I saw! In fairness, I lay some of the responsibility on Walton because he tried to make Buddy into a play maker, which is isn't. Here's the thing, when Buddy's on the floor, and he's not scoring, he's worthless, because he's a bad defender and he makes too many mistakes trying to create for others. In the 20 game span, Buddy was doing more to hurt the team and help the team.

By the way, I like Buddy. He's a hard worker and he always gives the effort, except on defense. Buddy is a good player, but he's not a great player. When your the focus of the other teams defense, you find out how good you really are.
Well, the results test passes with flying colors. It's called net rating and almost every positive one has Buddy in it. Not just one by chance. When the numbers come back that consistent it's not random. It could be intangibles, the fact that he's such a threat it opens up things for teammates, etc. In the end the team is better and was better with him on the floor and the numbers in more than one unit variation back it up.

Last edited: