Kings would make the Playoffs in proposed 22 or 20 team Playoffs!

I've seen some discussion on whether it should have an asterisk. My opinion is that if they have a 20 team pool format - that's the playoffs no asterisk = drought over. If they invite 22 teams to play a few games and then seed the top 16 after some "play-in" games - that's not the playoffs if you don't make the 16. No asterisk either way but being invited to Orlando to resume play doesn't automatically equal playoffs to me until we know the format.

I've seen some discussion on whether it should have an asterisk. My opinion is that if they have a 20 team pool format - that's the playoffs no asterisk = drought over. If they invite 22 teams to play a few games and then seed the top 16 after some "play-in" games - that's not the playoffs if you don't make the 16. No asterisk either way but being invited to Orlando to resume play doesn't automatically equal playoffs to me until we know the format.
I would consider the Kings playoff drought over, if the NBA goes with a 20 or 22 team playoff format.

We can only play the games, as agreed upon by the league.

And if the league says it's going to be a 20 or 22 team Playoffs, then the Kings Playoff drought will be OVER!!!! ;)

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
How has this not blown up?!!

Come on people, PLAYOFFS!!

I don't care if it will come with an asterisk and a first round exit, I'm pumped for the post season (any kind of season, really)!
I'm definitely interested to see if they can make it into the PO given a few games to beat the other teams. Unlike some, if they don't make the top 16 teams I don't consider it a playoff "berth". It's a play-in "chance" at this point if they implement it.

How has this not blown up?!!

Come on people, PLAYOFFS!!

I don't care if it will come with an asterisk and a first round exit, I'm pumped for the post season (any kind of season, really)!
its not at Golden 1 and we didn’t earn our way in, however I have ya winning the championship in the scenario

its not at Golden 1 and we didn’t earn our way in, however I have ya winning the championship in the scenario
Well, technically, they will have earned their way in. Because if they hadn’t been within 3.5 game (IIRC teams within 6 are eligible) we wouldn’t be having the discussion.

Furthermore, for all we know they would have earned their way in under the usual format. However they never were afforded the full opportunity. But a lot of folks, even outside SAC, liked their chances.

Being included among the 22 is acknowledgement by the NBA of the above. And the reason they’ve earned it under this proposed format.

Sooo we get to play 8 reg season games

We would need to reach the 9th seed beating out Portland.Pels,Spurs,Suns during the eight games
and still be within less than 4 games out from Memphis

And then we would need to Win first two games of play-in series with Memphis
with 8th seed double Elimination and 9th Seed a single Elimination

Sounds like pretty crappy odds to me

At least Wash only needs to get within 4 games of Orlando?

Sucks to be in the West

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sooo we get to play 8 reg season games

We would need to reach the 9th seed beating out Portland.Pels,Spurs,Suns during the eight games
and still be within less than 4 games out from Memphis

And then we would need to Win first two games of play-in series with Memphis
with 8th seed double Elimination and 9th Seed a single Elimination

Sounds like pretty crappy odds to me

At least Wash only needs to get within 4 games of Orlando?

Sucks to be in the West
Seems like pretty tough odds then again we did see the Kings pull off a previously impossible comeback this season so who knows.

I would have preferred a playoff style play in game for the 8th spot instead of playing regular season and then play in game but at least we are still in there. Now who’s got money on the the nba giving the Kings the top 2 toughest schedule and the pelicans the easiest. Gotta make money back some how and people wanna see Zion and the ex lakers vs the lakers right? :rolleyes:

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
If you don’t like that, you don’t like Kings basketball! (Are we allowed to say this anymore?)
Frankly, and it may be just me, I think we should require any new PBP hire to explicitly use that catchphrase once a game. Also "turn on the sprinkler system". I know that may have rankled some people but I enjoyed the hell out of those.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Frankly, and it may be just me, I think we should require any new PBP hire to explicitly use that catchphrase once a game. Also "turn on the sprinkler system". I know that may have rankled some people but I enjoyed the hell out of those.
Like when a SE gets fired from Google, and they don't get to keep anything they invented, while working for them?

Checking in. 2020 is becoming an all timer. Just unreal. Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

Wonder who takes over for Grant? Gary Gerould doing double duty with Doug--TV and Radio? Who takes over next year? One of the Stockton Kings dudes? Kozimor?

It's not quite the same thing, but I'll take a backdoor playoff opportunity over no hoops. Hope it happens.

Probably because of everything going on. It’s all certainly tempered my excitement
I feel similarly. I may be in the minority of basketball fans, but I'm actually not itching for NBA basketball to return. The league's going to do what it needs to do to resume play safely, but I'm not particularly enthusiastic about the prospect. There's just too much other important sh*t occupying space in my brain right now, and the diversions I'm seeking from the madness are definitely not sports-related.

It used to be that the Dreaded Offseason drafts in the Lounge were a nice diversion between NBA seasons. Oddly enough, I currently find them a much greater comfort than the thought of watching Kings basketball again. Maybe it's because the Kings have been such a source of frustration in the last decade. I suppose I'm not eager during these stressful times to invite that frustration back into my life.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The Kings have to finish the shortened resumed season in ninth place, and within four games of the eighth seed. Washington has to finish the shortened resumed season in ninth place, and within four games of the eighth seed. What's different about it?
To be fair, I have more faith in the Nets or Magic absolutely coming out of the gates terribly and devolving into a walking tire fire (hell, the Nets already are) that allows the Wizards to catch them than I do in the Wizards playing particularly great basketball with their roster of Brad Beal and a bunch of random dudes.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
The Kings have to finish the shortened resumed season in ninth place, and within four games of the eighth seed. Washington has to finish the shortened resumed season in ninth place, and within four games of the eighth seed. What's different about it?
If I understand the suggested format correctly...

In the Eastern Conference, there are three relevant teams. The Pacers and Sixers, currently tied for the 5th/6th slots in the playoffs cannot be caught and would be guaranteed playoff berths at the 6th seed or higher. Thus, the Nets, Magic, and Wizards would be vying for three spots (two playoff spots and a play-in 9th spot). At least two of these teams will "advance" and there is room for all three teams to "advance". The effective standings would be:

7. Nets -0.5 GB (so 0.5 games up)
8. Magic 0 GB
9. Wizards 5.5 GB

Since half-game changes in the standings would not be possible as all teams would play the same number of "regular season" games (8), the Wizards would have to
1) Gain 2 games on the Magic OR
2) Gain 2 games on the Nets in order to reach a play-in scenario.

It would be unlikely, but possible, that they could climb to the 7th spot and make the playoffs while avoiding a play-in entirely.

In the Western Conference, there are effectively six relevant teams. (In principle, Dallas could fall the the 8th spot by losing all of their games and Memphis winning all of their games, but that is so unlikely as to not merit consideration. Dallas has, for all intents and purposes, sealed the 7th slot at worst.) Thus, the Grizzlies, Blazers, Pelicans, Kings, Spurs, and Suns are all vying for only two spots (8th/9th). At most two of these teams will "advance". The effective standings would be:

8. Grizzlies 0 GB
9. Blazers 3.5 GB*
10. Pelicans 3.5 GB
11. Kings 3.5 GB
12. Spurs 4 GB
13. Suns 6 GB

The Blazers have a "record" advantage due to having played two more games than the Pelicans/Kings, and if percentage is used as the tiebreaker, would hold the tiebreaker over the Pelicans/Kings unless the tied teams both went 8-0, in which case there would be a true tie (both teams would be .500 exactly). In order for the Kings to reach a play-in game, all of the following would have to hold:
1) Kings must gain 0+ games on the Grizzlies AND
2) Kings must gain 1+ games on the Blazers (or go 8-0 and win tiebreaker) AND
3) Kings must gain 1+ games (or 0 games and win tiebreaker) on the Pelicans AND
4) Kings must gain 0+ games on the Spurs AND
5) Kings can lose no more than 2 games on the Suns.

The Kings could not climb to the 7th spot and avoid a play-in entirely.

So, while the goal is the same, the road is very different, and I would argue considerably harder for the Kings.

And, in lieu of doing things I ought to be doing, I ran a simulation. Assuming for simplicity that 1) all teams will have a .500 chance of winning each "regular season" game and 2) none of the "regular season" games are between teams vying for a final spot the results are as follows:

The Wizards would have about a 35% chance to make a play-in game.
The Kings would have about a 21% chance of making a play-in game outright and about a 6% chance of tying for a play-in game, so about a 24% chance overall of making a play-in game.

That's less of a disparity than I would have thought, but still a tougher road for the Kings.