Coronavirus

Christian Wood is sick. I would guess the Kings may have to self quarantine now as no one knows did Gobert give it to Wood or the other way around. If Wood is patient zero then the Kings are at risk.

As of 9 tonight all restaurants and bars will be closed in Ohio till further notice. The exception is that you may use a drive through or pick up a order and of course some delivery like pizza and the such.

A lot of grocery stores have cut their hours like 7am to 10pm instead of 24 hours. Kroger is one of them.

More and more public venues are being closed down every day. Unless the coming warm weather significantly diminishes the impact of the virus and/or a vaccine becomes readily available then I don’t think we are going to see any live events or large gatherings taking place for a WHILE.
Vaccines will not be ready for another 1 year minimum. It takes multiple rounds of clinical trials. For severe cases, we are now using some trial antiviral that is use in HIV patient

So it looks like the earliest the NBA will be able to resume play is mid to late June. Because of the delay n loss revenue, thinking the following will happen:

1. Bags will play again this year. Self evident since he’ll have ample time to recover.
2. Vlade n Luke are guaranteed another year—just don’t see the ownership being willing buy them out n pay a new coach n GM new salaries while staring at tens of millions of losses due to cancelled games.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
So it looks like the earliest the NBA will be able to resume play is mid to late June. Because of the delay n loss revenue, thinking the following will happen:

1. Bags will play again this year. Self evident since he’ll have ample time to recover.
2. Vlade n Luke are guaranteed another year—just don’t see the ownership being willing buy them out n pay a new coach n GM new salaries while staring at tens of millions of losses due to cancelled games.
I'm not sure you can rule out May at this point, but if we're talking mid-May or later they just go right into playoffs. If June, probably they dump the first round and take top 8. They would do some revenue sharing or something to offset the loss.

Either way, the player contracts end/roll over on July 1 so June 30 is your drop dead Game 7 Finals date.

If for no other reason beyond that date would also compromise the 2020-2021 season.

I will find it hard to believe the NBA will resume things as normal and continue on where they left off. I am sure they are weighing all the options on how to conduct what will happen. Maybe just move to the playoffs or change and restructure everything seems more likely.

With the Olympic Games coming up this summer which I believe will get moved back complicates things for many foreign players.

I really think the NBA would want a reset and for next season to begin as normally as possible even if the start of the season is pushed back also. In any case I have no idea what will happen other than we will all remember this time in history and our part in it.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
If they ran an 82 game schedule starting on Christmas day there would be a revolt as that would lead to back to backs up the butt and total crazy travel schedules. I have to believe the brass understand that one compromised season is better than two.

My guess is they just figure out how to make as "normal" as a playoffs as possible and nuke the remaining regular season.

If they ran an 82 game schedule starting on Christmas day there would be a revolt as that would lead to back to backs up the butt and total crazy travel schedules. I have to believe the brass understand that one compromised season is better than two.

My guess is they just figure out how to make as "normal" as a playoffs as possible and nuke the remaining regular season.
The would be the new NBA schedule every year.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
The would be the new NBA schedule every year.
I think they would leave a lot of revenue on the table with a summer/fall league in the middle of MLB playoffs and NFL is on. Draft would probably take a backseat as well instead of having a mostly dry summer night to itself. And then the regular season on the final week of the NFL regular season - essentially relegating it in the ESPN landscape?

I get that some folks don't like football but I think the networks have a pretty clear preference for one vs the other.

I think the NBA will come up with some alternative solution like a tournament. Just a guess, but my reasoning:

Some basketball will be played because:
- All stakeholders will want to minimise the financial loss
- Most, if not all, players will want to play, rather than sit and do not much. Players with a shot at a championship will not want to give that up to easily.

It will be difficult to play the remainder of the season or a normal playoff schedule because:
- Countries that have had strict control measures in place for some time and that have more experience with epidemics still do not have a resolution in sight. Covid is new to the US and the country may not have been as prepared as some other nations.

That leaves a basketball alternative like a tournament. Adam Silver has been keen to create something like this. This may be his best opportunity.

I'm not sure you can rule out May at this point, but if we're talking mid-May or later they just go right into playoffs. If June, probably they dump the first round and take top 8. They would do some revenue sharing or something to offset the loss.

Either way, the player contracts end/roll over on July 1 so June 30 is your drop dead Game 7 Finals date.

If for no other reason beyond that date would also compromise the 2020-2021 season.
Revenue sharing would be a given. The loss in local, in-stadium (and surrounding) revenue will never be recaptured--unfortunately.

Well the NBA is all about the money but they don’t want to tank a popular sport either. The government for the foreseeable future will not allow large groups of people for any reason.

When we get on the back side of this virus and even with a vaccine around it will be around to some extent. I believe it will be like living with the flu a year from now because what else are we going to do?

I see the league waiting it out and hopefully believing everything will be fine and yes I hope that also.

You’re options in the poll are fine and unfortunately option one is the most likely and is to close the season down.

If they plan on playing out the season unless this all goes away or becomes controlled very soon I can see them try to play it out without the large attendance at the arenas.

Choices like nba tv, closed circuit or some venue for season tickets with the choice of watching it on tv or getting a refund and maybe forward all or a portion of what you’ve spent to carry forward to next year.

Unfortunately I believe this will have a lasting impact on events and how many season tickets will folks purchase next year if this doesn’t go away or the league blows their response to how they handle it.

It wasn’t long ago we were talking about the impact on our league in regards towards china and next years salary cap numbers and I think they are going to impact it more now than anyone ever expected after this.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Honestly, the best solution right now is to let this play out and then resume the season. We don't know how long it will play out for but in my opinion this will blow over in a couple of months, if not sooner. From there you have to change some of the times or days because it conflicts with other events happening at these sports venues but I believe that it can be done.

This is insane. I have few words but i can’t lie, I’m a little upset about this.

They couldn’t just screen everyone and play in empty arenas? And to see Rudy Gobert jokingly rub his hands all over the press table two days ago ... wow. He needs to be banned from the ****** NBA

Symptoms don't show up right away, so testing people today and having them play for the next few weeks, THEN they show symptoms means they spread it around in the previous few weeks.

Good luck with the lock down. Just read up on some of the restrictions placed.

Shelter in place that’s a first for me unless it was a police emergency where they were looking for someone.
Hopefully you can go out and get some groceries. I have a good amount of food at home but it’s just me. Makes everyone wonder if we really should go out and stock up on some more things. Like how long will that be implemented?

I just don’t know and hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I live in the mountains, which most of you know. It's an hour to the closest real stores. When we go shopping, we normally stock up - especially in the winter when snow could cause us to be homebound for days or even weeks at a time. Thus, I've usually got enough dry goods, personal items, etc. to last a couple of months. Right now, I feel like I'm one bunker away from being a doomsday prepper. Being isolated from the vast majority of humanity has never felt more reassuring. I filled all my gas cans for my generator just in case and I've got tons of firewood in the woodshed. I just wish I had sports to watch. Instead, I'm probably going to catch up on a bunch of my old movies.

Stay safe, fellow Kings fans, and be smart about all this.
UPDATE: Since I posted this, we've received about 3 feet of snow. The power went out early Sunday morning but PG&E assures us they're working to restore it as soon as possible. What took it out? Trees coming down on the lines. (Insert profanity-laced rant about PG&E and trees here.)

One thing to note? Three feet of snow is almost as good as an underground bunker.

My new best friend is the UPS driver, followed closely by FedEx. The snow plow driver is, in a word, a SAINT! He does the main road and then a couple of neighbors have banded together and made sure each of us with 4wd vehicles can get to that road. (Almost everyone up here with half a brain has 4wd.)

Our community has banded together, which is not a surprise to me.

I know I'm drifting away from the thread topic, but I do want to encourage everyone to reach out to their elderly neighbors. Help them if you can. They might need something but not know how to ask.

I have faith in all of us. The coronavirus will not defeat us.

Before I moved out of
UPDATE: Since I posted this, we've received about 3 feet of snow. The power went out early Sunday morning but PG&E assures us they're working to restore it as soon as possible. What took it out? Trees coming down on the lines. (Insert profanity-laced rant about PG&E and trees here.)

One thing to note? Three feet of snow is almost as good as an underground bunker.

My new best friend is the UPS driver, followed closely by FedEx. The snow plow driver is, in a word, a SAINT! He does the main road and then a couple of neighbors have banded together and made sure each of us with 4wd vehicles can get to that road. (Almost everyone up here with half a brain has 4wd.)

I know I'm drifting away from the thread topic, but I do want to encourage everyone to reach out to their elderly neighbors. Help them if you can. They might need something but not know how to ask.

Before I moved out of ca I lived above forest hill around baker ranch and yes if you didn’t have a 4x4 you really didn’t worry about going anyplace for a few days. Had 3 vehicles, 2 cars and a truck. Always parked the truck as close to the plowed road as was safe as every few years the snow would cover the top of the cars so it would take a few days before you could attempt to move the cars.

Oh yeah the plow drivers sometimes would breeze threw and you had a 3 or 4 foot wall of packed like ice wall that you needed a shovel to dig out with. The sierras in the winter are not a joke and yes I miss those mountains.

Dont blame PG&E. Blame the Sierra Club and other environmental groups that stopped the cutting of the trees.

Did not look to see if this has been posted and I work at Mels attacthed to the Sands hotel and the hotel is closing down for a few weeks starting friday