Buddy Hield - love him or hate him, sit him or play him (split)

We needed a 3... and 3pt champ is in the bench... horrible

MOD NOTE: The discussion of Buddy has been split from the Raptors game thread as it will certainly continue long after that thread is locked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Screw buddy hield. I'm tired of his awful turnovers I don't want him dribbling the ball ever. I would've done the same thing as Luke. He was trash and made trash decisions with the ball as always. Didn't deserve to be in I don't care if he's a 3pt champ

Also screw kyle Lowry hit every damn shot.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Screw buddy hield. I'm tired of his awful turnovers I don't want him dribbling the ball ever. I would've done the same thing as Luke. He was trash and made trash decisions with the ball as always. Didn't deserve to be in I don't care if he's a 3pt champ

And yet Buddy wasn't the one who shot an airball three with two defenders on him and ten seconds left on the clock.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

Buddy's +7 tonight disagrees. And don't confuse misuse for inability.

Wow, I’m getting progressively more pissed about how this game was managed in crunch time

I know Buddy had an awful third quarter but he was still having a significantly better game than either Bogdan or Barnes.

im guessing he was on suspension for rocket launching that pass in the 5th row but Buddy often follows his worst with his best..and his best with his worst. It’s his nature. No excuse to not have him on the floor when you have the ability to make offensive and defensive subs.

You play percentages regardless how many shots or turnovers he's missed earlier in the game.....39% from 3 over the season.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Luke didn't trust Buddy Hield in the 4th quarter of this game. Not with the Raptors' defense and not with Buddy Hield throwing the ball to some kid in the 4th row.:D

P.S. I did think Buddy was pretty self-contained and intelligent in the first half.

When Nick Nurse called for a second timeout to get Spicy P as driving shot, I think Luke should have shuffled his roster. Nurse was eyeing on the match and decided to make it a driving move when he saw Kings will filled a short lineup in the middle.

And Walton was hard on Buddy by benching him on that crucial shot. It should have been Bogi not Bjelica since their the Raptors big a more defensive oriented than their guards. Buddy should stop passing the ball. When it reach him just drive or shoot. He sucks so bad on this game throwing the ball to the crowd like its a frisbee.

Even if Buddy was in the game there is no guarantee we would make the shot. We had two chances and two missed threes, one by Fox and one by Bjelica. I don't think I could ask for anything more. I was expecting a straight up loss, but I thought in the team fought hard. if there was mismanagement i would say maybe starting Harry the second half when it was clear that we needed a better defensive frontcourt. but still Walton coached a close game against Raptors and a hot Lowry. Its hard to say that this or that "obvious" move would have yielded a victory

When Nick Nurse called for a second timeout to get Spicy P as driving shot, I think Luke should have shuffled his roster. Nurse was eyeing on the match and decided to make it a driving move when he saw Kings will filled a short lineup in the middle.

And Walton was hard on Buddy by benching him on that crucial shot. It should have been Bogi not Bjelica since their the Raptors big a more defensive oriented than their guards. Buddy should stop passing the ball. When it reach him just drive or shoot. He sucks so bad on this game throwing the ball to the crowd like its a frisbee.
I really don’t understand how the passing of an NBA-level player can be so completely off target.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

Flat out, Buddy and Fox need to play more together. There is a bit of imbalance that can be exploited with Joseph and Buddy. The Raptors run a lot of box and 1 so getting into the paint is going to be that much tougher on pick and roll, screens, and drives. Buddy is a good pick and roll player when peaking around screens but Joseph being off the ball is an option any defense worth their salt will take.

Even if Buddy was in the game there is no guarantee we would make the shot. We had two chances and two missed threes, one by Fox and one by Bjelica. I don't think I could ask for anything more. I was expecting a straight up loss, but I thought in the team fought hard. if there was mismanagement i would say maybe starting Harry the second half when it was clear that we needed a better defensive frontcourt. but still Walton coached a close game against Raptors and a hot Lowry. Its hard to say that this or that "obvious" move would have yielded a victory
It’s not about guarantees. It’s about increasing the probability that we get a good shot and having your best options out there. Like Toronto has all their best available options on the floor for big shots.

Luke just said he liked the rhythm of the lineup.

Bye Buddy it was nice having you on the team. Will miss you. Sorry our coach doesn't know how to use you, please don't drop 60 on us next time

It’s not about guarantees. It’s about increasing the probability that we get a good shot and having your best options out there. Like Toronto has all their best available options on the floor for big shots.

Luke just said he liked the rhythm of the lineup.
yeah i understand not disrupting the flow of a lineup if they are actually playing multiple back and forth possessions, but this was just to take one shot so yeah I would have had Buddy out there, but its always easier to come up with what ifs if the whatever the option was does not work out..

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I really don’t understand how the passing of an NBA-level player can be so completely off target.
In fairness, when he's handling the ball he typically only has one passing option and that's all the way to weak side through 4 defenders. There are a few decent answers here to solve this. Number 1, run more MIDDLE pick and roll for Buddy, not to the corners. Number 2, use him more as a catch and shoot player as an outlet for De'Aaron Fox on pick and roll/drives. Or number 3, run more pick and pop through him with a guard, Barnes, or Bjelica sot it's a quick side pass if teams double or switch on him. Good teams are going to do exactly what the Raps did. They're going to force Buddy to make a play late in the clock and settle for Joseph shooting or continuously resetting pick and roll himself.

Lowery was on Belli. They should have gone to him in the post in the 4th Q.

In fairness, when he's handling the ball he typically only has one passing option and that's all the way to weak side through 4 defenders. There are a few decent answers here to solve this. Number 1, run more MIDDLE pick and roll for Buddy, not to the corners. Number 2, use him more as a catch and shoot player as an outlet for De'Aaron Fox on pick and roll/drives. Or number 3, run more pick and pop through him with a guard, Barnes, or Bjelica sot it's a quick side pass if teams double or switch on him. Good teams are going to do exactly what the Raps did. They're going to force Buddy to make a play late in the clock and settle for Joseph shooting or continuously resetting pick and roll himself.
Apparently, Walton and his staff can’t figure out a solution after nearly a full season.

The Kings needed to win 3 of 4 and didn’t get it done. But I’m less concerned about this game than the Philly game they blew.

Fox and Bogi we both minus double digits (-17 and -25). Combined they had as many turnovers as assists. That just isn’t going to get it done. Bogi in particular had an awful game.

I have to agree it’s inexplicable when you need a three and you know you are going to foul... why keep Buddy on the bench? Not Walton’s best moment. Run the screen with Beli and let Buddy come around it and Beli pop free. At 3-8, Buddy was the only one with a decent hot hand.

Bye Buddy it was nice having you on the team. Will miss you. Sorry our coach doesn't know how to use you, please don't drop 60 on us next time
I'm super interested what the excuse is gonna be for Luke and Vlade when Buddy gets traded to Philly and makes them a title team dropping 25 a game.

The closing minute was absolutely pathetic coaching from Walton. 2 quick, contested 3's when in both scenarios, we had plenty of time to work a play and get a better shot? Meanwhile, you're 2nd best offensive player is sitting on the bench for 45 minutes ice cold so you can't utilize him when you need offense in crunch time.

Great coaches don't bench their best offensive players in crunch time. This post-all star break has been a good run, but we've seen the tremendous gaps in coaching in a few match-ups against really good teams.

Comments like this are why the Kings never get to enjoy good players. Walton ices him the whole 4th quarter, yet this game is his fault somehow. Unreal

I'm super interested what the excuse is gonna be for Luke and Vlade when Buddy gets traded to Philly and makes them a title team dropping 25 a game.

The closing minute was absolutely pathetic coaching from Walton. 2 quick, contested 3's when in both scenarios, we had plenty of time to work a play and get a better shot? Meanwhile, you're 2nd best offensive player is sitting on the bench for 45 minutes ice cold so you can't utilize him when you need offense in crunch time.

Great coaches don't bench their best offensive players in crunch time. This post-all star break has been a good run, but we've seen the tremendous gaps in coaching in a few match-ups against really good teams.
Buddy averaging 45.7% from 3 and 100% FT post-all star. Need a 3? Walton be like screw that, he doesn't play defense and may turn the ball over.