The new Harry Giles on-the-court PERFORMANCE discussion

Got to watch Giles last night, looked great on offense. Was very impressed with his passing vision, particularly one where he threw a dime to a cutting Barnes (might have been someone else). Also had some decent touch around the rim. The athleticism is definitely there. I was actually hoping he'd take a few more shots.

He did get turned around a little on D a few times and too many fouls. But overall I came away very impressed.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Got to watch Giles last night, looked great on offense. Was very impressed with his passing vision, particularly one where he threw a dime to a cutting Barnes (might have been someone else). Also had some decent touch around the rim. The athleticism is definitely there. I was actually hoping he'd take a few more shots.

He did get turned around a little on D a few times and too many fouls. But overall I came away very impressed.
His issues on D seem to be getting lost then over-correcting. Something I believe is pretty fixable.

Also, after 3 fouls in the first half, I think only picked up one more the rest of the way... including playing some clean minutes in that first half with the 3. Coach trusted him and he repaid it! Beautiful

Last edited:
Yeah I don't think the game plan was ever to give David West 3 feet of space at the free throw line
During his first 2 seasons it might have actually been to give him whatever, he had worse numbers than Harry did (playing more minutes per slightly) he also played 101 games total and Harry is at 91 atm. I'm not saying they are exactly identical or that Harry will have a career as grear but a they are similar in terms of skill and temperament.

(Not sure if this was posted)
I was gonna make a new thread but since we already have multiple threads dedicated to Harry and this one specifically is his appreciation thread. I'd like to post this here.

How do you not love this man?

We stood by him as soon as he was drafted, and throughout a whole-season rehab, seeing bits and pieces of his performance during the summer league in Vegas, the few minutes here and there during his 2nd "rookie" season, obviously understandably that his trade value at that time coming out of two major knee surgery was low...

but our faith in him really never wavered (which can't be said in some other rookie's cases but I digress...)

I understand that everyone loves a comeback story. Love to root for the underdog. So it's easier rooting for him than the ones who had to prove himself right off the bat. He went through the highest of the high when he was younger being considered the number one recruit of the nation, to devastating injuries that had retired stronger and better players before... if he is to leave for whatever reason after the next 20 some games, it is because we don't deserve him, for he chose a better situation for himself, which I can't hate on.

We love Harry 100% from the get-go and I don't think there was anyone in the fan base throughout this whole journey who'd even considered letting him go.

(Okay... I was just getting a little emotional... I wish the Sacramento Kings that I once fell in love with watching J-Will and C-Webb are more competent. But it is what it is. I can choose to mope and whine about it, leave before the going ain't too bad, or just accept that my old hometown team is just too deep in my whole being and hope for the best)

Eh.. I would not call Harry the most explosive of athletes either at this point. He has long arms but he ain't skying for dunks or rebounds.
He's athletic enough but athleticism isn't just about jumping and running. Harry is athletic in the ways that matter: incredible hands, instinctive passing skills, core strength that allows him to play bigger/take up more space than he should, etc. In particular, his hands, in addition to being giant, are sticky, and smart. I've mentioned this before but hands like that add about 1-2 feet to your playing sphere. And, there is skill all the way out to the edge of that sphere, defensively and offensively. This is a massively underrated and under-talked about quality. It's not just about having big hands, it's about having, big, skillful hands that can pass, catch, deflect, even create. This was a huge part of Jordan's game, for example. It's also what made Dr. J one of the greatest ever.

(Not sure if this was posted)
I was gonna make a new thread but since we already have multiple threads dedicated to Harry and this one specifically is his appreciation thread. I'd like to post this here.

How do you not love this man?

We stood by him as soon as he was drafted, and throughout a whole-season rehab, seeing bits and pieces of his performance during the summer league in Vegas, the few minutes here and there during his 2nd "rookie" season, obviously understandably that his trade value at that time coming out of two major knee surgery was low...

but our faith in him really never wavered (which can't be said in some other rookie's cases but I digress...)

I understand that everyone loves a comeback story. Love to root for the underdog. So it's easier rooting for him than the ones who had to prove himself right off the bat. He went through the highest of the high when he was younger being considered the number one recruit of the nation, to devastating injuries that had retired stronger and better players before... if he is to leave for whatever reason after the next 20 some games, it is because we don't deserve him, for he chose a better situation for himself, which I can't hate on.

We love Harry 100% from the get-go and I don't think there was anyone in the fan base throughout this whole journey who'd even considered letting him go.

(Okay... I was just getting a little emotional... I wish the Sacramento Kings that I once fell in love with watching J-Will and C-Webb are more competent. But it is what it is. I can choose to mope and whine about it, leave before the going ain't too bad, or just accept that my old hometown team is just too deep in my whole being and hope for the best)
You know, it is possible to praise a player without taking cheap shots at other players...

You know, it is possible to praise a player without taking cheap shots at other players...
You misunderstood.

No one is taking, what you call, "cheap shots" at other players. I was saying how the fan base didn't give the same amount of patient with other rookies than Harry due to his expectation wasn't high like Bagley being the number 2 overall.

Which, is ironic that THAT is how you interpreted it, me taking cheap shots, which is just what the fan base has been doing, making snap assumption about things.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I moved several posts from here (the HG performance discussion thread) to the HG option conundrum thread, as the discussion was veering off and there was already a thread for that. Carry on.

He's athletic enough but athleticism isn't just about jumping and running. Harry is athletic in the ways that matter: incredible hands, instinctive passing skills, core strength that allows him to play bigger/take up more space than he should, etc. In particular, his hands, in addition to being giant, are sticky, and smart. I've mentioned this before but hands like that add about 1-2 feet to your playing sphere. And, there is skill all the way out to the edge of that sphere, defensively and offensively. This is a massively underrated and under-talked about quality. It's not just about having big hands, it's about having, big, skillful hands that can pass, catch, deflect, even create. This was a huge part of Jordan's game, for example. It's also what made Dr. J one of the greatest ever.
Err ok, I don't disagree. But jumping and running is literally the opposite of slow and groundbound (which is what I was responding to), so I'm not really sure what you're getting at. For the record, while I have no clue how big Brad Miller's hands were he was a pretty good rebounder and an excellent passer.

Harry Giles' is shooting FT at a 77% clip.

That's better than Bazemore, Bogdan and Fox.
He had a lot of time to practice his free throws during his recovery. I am not being smart about it but I wonder how his three point shot is coming along?
I am glad he is performing within how they must be wanting him to play but I agree he has a decent shot. Maybe we see him open up and extend his range next season.

He had a lot of time to practice his free throws during his recovery. I am not being smart about it but I wonder how his three point shot is coming along?
I am glad he is performing within how they must be wanting him to play but I agree he has a decent shot. Maybe we see him open up and extend his range next season.
Depends on what uniform he's wearing. I may never want to see his 3 point shot.

Cause if Harry is wearing a Celtics uniform next year, for example, I'll wish him the best. But I'm not going to Bricklayer myself into becoming a Celtics fan.
I think Brick's departure had more to do with the Kings incompetence than as it did for his fondness of Boogie. Probably a lot more, actually. Although that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

He shot 8 for 11 in the G League from 3 so there's something there but I'm guessing he's probably not ready otherwise the 3pt happy Walton would probably have him out there shooting.

I was at the Detroit game sitting behind the basket and he took about 6 shots from the top of the 3 point line right in front of me. He missed all of them but they were fairly close. His shot looks weird in person. He kind of stands at an angle to the hoop and brings the ball from one side of his body to the other like Kevin Martin used to. It's not as pronounced as Martin did it but it's kind of similar. The top of his shot looks like a less pronounced Kidd Gilchrist shot (pictured below) and the rotation on it is titled at about a 45* angle which is why his shots don't normally bounce in if he hits the cylinder.

His free throw form looks a lot more standard than his outside shot does.

He shot 8 for 11 in the G League from 3 so there's something there but I'm guessing he's probably not ready otherwise the 3pt happy Walton would probably have him out there shooting.

I was at the Detroit game sitting behind the basket and he took about 6 shots from the top of the 3 point line right in front of me. He missed all of them but they were fairly close. His shot looks weird in person. He kind of stands at an angle to the hoop and brings the ball from one side of his body to the other like Kevin Martin used to. It's not as pronounced as Martin did it but it's kind of similar. The top of his shot looks like a less pronounced Kidd Gilchrist shot (pictured below) and the rotation on it is titled at about a 45* angle which is why his shots don't normally bounce in if he hits the cylinder.

His free throw form looks a lot more standard than his outside shot does.

Thank you as I was just basing it on his free throws and had not paid any attention to his form from deep.
With all the good shooters we have it would be nice to learn some shooting techniques from them later on.

I think Brick's departure had more to do with the Kings incompetence than as it did for his fondness of Boogie. Probably a lot more, actually. Although that was the straw that broke the camel's back.
We'll have to agree to disagree. The writing was on the wall for awhile and the following said player thereafter suggests at minimum a change after the camels back was broken

In any case (trying to keep this somewhat relevant to Giles), one could argue that if Giles ends up elsewhere that too would be Kings incompetence, no?