what was the last movie you watched?

Has anyone seen Parasite? I’ve seen a lot of people say it’s must see but sprinkled in there is the occasional, it’s terrible, comment
Haven't seen it, but get the feeling that it's just a trendy movie for obvious reasons. Two years ago I also heard 'Shape of Water' was great and IMO it was anything but. So I'm skeptical.

I haven't seen 1917 yet either, but haven't heard anybody I know say anything but good things about it.

I really thought Shape of Water was great, for whatever that's worth.

But I love a good cold-war period piece and schlocky sci-fi so I was willing to overlook the parts I would normally fall over the floor laughing hysterically about in an awful movie. I also found Sally Hawkins charming/beautiful, Richard Jenkins wonderfully sad and Michael Shannon delightfully evil. So yeah. Was it the best movie I saw all year? I dunno as I really found Lady Bird extremely relatable for numerous reasons and watched it right after my dad died. Best picture never really is that for me. I pretty much devour trash all year and am fine with that.

I really thought Shape of Water was great, for whatever that's worth.

But I love a good cold-war period piece and schlocky sci-fi so I was willing to overlook the parts I would normally fall over the floor laughing hysterically about in an awful movie. I also found Sally Hawkins charming/beautiful, Richard Jenkins wonderfully sad and Michael Shannon delightfully evil. So yeah. Was it the best movie I saw all year? I dunno as I really found Lady Bird extremely relatable for numerous reasons and watched it right after my dad died. Best picture never really is that for me. I pretty much devour trash all year and am fine with that.
I hear ya. I didn't hate 'Shape of Water' as much as each of the 5 people with whom I watched, but I also didn't believe it was all that great. Some good parts, but many eye rolling moments too. Right after we watched it, one of the guys in our viewing group -- who absolutely hated it -- predicted that it would win best picture because, as he put it, "that's exactly the type of ridiculous movie that usually wins".

Like you, I felt 'Lady Bird' was a far better movie and more deserving. But, as William Munny once said, "Deserve's got nothin' to do with it".

That's why I gave up watching awards shows a long while ago. Because it's completely subjective while often trendy and political. In other words, a complete waste of time.

The last time I watched was probably the year I moved to Portland. Before that I watched just because I worked in the industry and my company was usually on the short list for an award.

I think my favorite movie I watched last year was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and that's because in addition to loving the setting/period I got swerved by the historical changes.

I think my favorite movie I watched last year was Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, and that's because in addition to loving the setting/period I got swerved by the historical changes.
Haven't seen it yet, but wanted to even before it was released. Just haven't made it happen yet. I will soon though. I'm pretty confident I'll like it, as I tend to enjoy most of Q's movies. I really dug his previous movie, Hateful Eight.

I'm also excited because I just found out he's going to make Kill Bill Vol. 3. Have no idea what it might be about, but I know I'll see it!

I always am curious about who wins the Oscars. Although I haven’t seen Parasite, I was disappointed that some of the other films didn’t win picture of the year. 1917 was worthy. I really liked The Irishman. Could have easily made a case for Joker and Once Upon a Time.....

Thought they nailed Best Actor in Joaquin Phoenix. Watched his acceptance speech. He’s an interesting dude. I mean he was perfect as Joker. He is out there a little bit. But is one hell of an actor....still remember his role in Gladiator.

I'm also excited because I just found out he's going to make Kill Bill Vol. 3. Have no idea what it might be about, but I know I'll see it!
Was that actually confirmed? I know it's been rumored because it is a convenient way around his 10 film career (if KB only counts as 1 film). The speculation is that it will involve Vernita Green's daughter coming after the Bride.

Was that actually confirmed? I know it's been rumored because it is a convenient way around his 10 film career (if KB only counts as 1 film). The speculation is that it will involve Vernita Green's daughter coming after the Bride.
Actually, you’re right. It’s not confirmed. IMDB lists it as ’announced’ which is why I jumped the gun. After looking into a bit more, it’s still up in the air. Bummer.

Read the same plot rumor you mention above.

Actually, you’re right. It’s not confirmed. IMDB lists it as ’announced’ which is why I jumped the gun. After looking into a bit more, it’s still up in the air. Bummer.

Read the same plot rumor you mention above.
I think he'll do it, unless he abandons his "10 movie career plan". The guy enjoys the art too much. I think the latter is just as likely, how many times has Clint Eastwood made his last film? I'd be sad if we only had one more film from QT.

Speaking of Kill Bill, I really really hope the Whole Bloody Affair becomes available sooner rather than later. I actually never bought these on BluRay or DVD (and I have double dipped on a few) because I've been waiting for the one film version for 15+ years now...

The last time I watched was probably the year I moved to Portland. Before that I watched just because I worked in the industry and my company was usually on the short list for an award.

have not watched in a few years. It’s become insufferable....although it really always Was, but now I just have less patience lol
agreed on Hollywood. It’s a shame a lot of people couldn’t appreciate it. heard a lot of “too slow” ”not a typical QT movie”. I thought it was fantastic.
did you watch the Irishman? I really enjoyed that too.

have not watched in a few years. It’s become insufferable....although it really always Was, but now I just have less patience lol
agreed on Hollywood. It’s a shame a lot of people couldn’t appreciate it. heard a lot of “too slow” ”not a typical QT movie”. I thought it was fantastic.
did you watch the Irishman? I really enjoyed that too.
I have not watched the Irishman yet, but I will.

It is funny with the Oscars, for what is probably the most ballyhooed awards show it is predominantly remembered for huge gaffes in production (seriously go back and watch the one from 89? with Snow White) and for how often it gets the awards wrong both in the moment and in hindsight.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Joker had an amazing performance by Joaquin Phoenix. Not a movie I'll buy, but his performance was excellent.

I do wish that DC could take a page from the Marvel playbook and actually make their movies "work" together somehow. It seems like every one is different and breaks continuity with the rest. Taken individually, some of the DC movies are good. But as a shared comic universe they really don't hold together well at all. Not the least of which is 3 completely different Spider-man series (not just individual films!) in the past 20 years. This Joker breaks continuity with the previous Batman films, etc. Just lazy filmmaking and lack of oversight at the studio level.

And I'm not saying that the Marvel movies are perfect in that regard by any means, but there is an overall storyline being followed and the movies generally fit together well. Individual stories are well told but the overall themes, story arc, and continuity are maintained.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I watched The Shape of Water and still don't know for sure how I feel about it.

I didn't like the special effects. The creature looked like an incomplete knockoff of the inhabitant of the black lagoon. It was distracting to me every time he was on the screen.

Other than that, I can't figure out if it was supposed to be serious or if it was an intentional mashup of way too many low budget flicks from the 50s. One thing for sure, however, is that I'm still thinking about it.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I picked up Joker yesterday and hope to watch this weekend.

DC does have a "DCU" and it has been critically trashed which is why they haven't run with it.
Yeah, I know. That is what I was commenting on ("shared universe"). They can't seem to be organized enough to make it work.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I watched Goon the other day on Netflix. Cute little movie almost ruined by an annoying schmuck of a friend who can't stop cussing unnecessarily. I just don't get it. Other than that I enjoyed it - not a great movie by any means, but I enjoyed it. And, BTW, I think like just about anything I've seen with Liev Schreiber in it.

I watched Goon the other day on Netflix. Cute little movie almost ruined by an annoying schmuck of a friend who can't stop cussing unnecessarily. I just don't get it. Other than that I enjoyed it - not a great movie by any means, but I enjoyed it. And, BTW, I think like just about anything I've seen with Liev Schreiber in it.
Is the Hockey movie?

Reporting on this a little late, but saw Parasite a few weeks back.

Hadn't seen it before the Oscars and was rather shocked it took home the top prize ... that is, until I saw it myself. Brilliant film and easily my pick for top choice of the best picture winners this decade, edging out Moonlight. It's a film with essentially two diametrically opposed genres that somehow mesh perfectly, and has something unique, refreshing, and frankly poignant to say about income inequality.

And that's not simply coming from me. My wife is my personal "canary in the coal mine" when it comes to movies. She doesn't like cinema generally and typically doesn't have the patience for subtitles. She, however, absolutely loved Parasite and was still talking about it a couple days later.

Being that she is married to a cinephile, she's begrudgingly sat through her fair share of best picture nominees with me. The only ones to have ever truly impressed her have been Parasite, Moonlight, Argo, The Theory of Everything, Lion and, of all things, Mad Max: Fury Road.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Watched Yesterday, 1917, and Parasite last night. (Essentially being trapped indoors by the coronavirus and having access to screeners has allowed me to catch up on all the movies I lost track of during the year).

While I appreciate the "gimmick" behind 1917 and really loved the direction and cinematography, the general lack of story/devotion to the long take sorta left me feeling a little empty once the credits rolled. Some of the sequences in the movie were breathtakingly tense/awfully beautiful.

Parasite was a movie I loved in the fact that it was unapologetically East Asian in its sensibilities (complete with teenage girl and hot tutor dude having a love affair subplot) while also being western enough to give its story a fulfilling narrative ending in a way that a lot of Japanese/Korean films don't. The last forty or so minutes or so where the film shifts from a jaunty comedy into full-on thriller mode are fantastic and more evidence of Bong Joon-ho being perhaps the best film technician of his generation.

But to me, the most enjoyable film of the three was Yesterday which was riddled with plot holes and a completely unexplored concept at its heart but completely and winningly performed by Himesh Patel and Lily James, who was apparently saving up all of her charisma post-Dowton Abbey for this movie. Also Beatles songs are always an easy way to my heart and Richard Curtis can write enjoyable rom-com material in his sleep at this point.

Watched Yesterday, 1917, and Parasite last night. (Essentially being trapped indoors by the coronavirus and having access to screeners has allowed me to catch up on all the movies I lost track of during the year).
Ok - I too shamelessly liked the movie - but please do tell, was Yesterday being seriously considered for anything during awards season? I am at an absolute loss but it's been 15 years since I had that sort of access and don't recall it being for fluff films and obviously the best part about it was non-original in our timeline, at least...

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Ok - I too shamelessly liked the movie - but please do tell, was Yesterday being seriously considered for anything during awards season? I am at an absolute loss but it's been 15 years since I had that sort of access and don't recall it being for fluff films and obviously the best part about it was non-original in our timeline, at least...
Pretty sure the only reason there were screeners of Yesterday being bandied about was its director being Danny Boyle.