Kings trade Dedmon for Parker and Len (merged)

Like it or hate it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is crazy that this FO has managed into lowering our expectations to such levels that we are relieved/happy when they manage to rectify their earlier mistakes without totally crapping the bed.
I still don't begrudge Vlade at all for being on top of correcting mistakes. Petrie was a great GM in the grand scheme but man, that dude would've waited out Dedmons entire contract then re-signed him at the end of it.

I still don't begrudge Vlade at all for being on top of correcting mistakes. Petrie was a great GM in the grand scheme but man, that dude would've waited out Dedmons entire contract then re-signed him at the end of it.
Time plays with our memories (I'm no exception), I seem to recall him being known to know when to move a player right before the wheels fell off.

ATL loved Dedmon as a locker room guy and he played his best ball there. I'm glad they are back together and it is too bad things did not work out here. Mr Holmes out played him and won his minutes.

Parker and Len have been injured so it remains to be seen how much they play.

It was a big salary savings so I guess the salary complainers should be happy about that:)

Parker:
position: power forward
Defensive rating: 116.5
True Shooting: 56.5
Asst Ratio: 10.7
Rebound %: 11.3

Bagley:
Position: power forward
Defensive rating: 114.6
True Shooting: 51.2
Asst Ratio: 4.8
Rebound %: 14.0

Jabari Parker is a little older Marvin Bagley.
I'm still a bit on the fence... I think Bagley's stats are still too small a sample size to even judge one way or another.

Maybe also don't sign if you don't plan to show up and play or else you'll get tossed out like the leeching fraud you are? Hm? These guys are making tens of millions of dollars off of hardworking people's dime and if they don't show up they deserve to get tossed to the curb for someone who will.

Y'all need some self respect.
To be fair (though I am still irate overall about Dedmon), Dedmon was brought in to play with Bagley who has been MIA. Wonder what would have happened if Bagley could stay healthy.

People still value raw stats? That's how guys like Wiggins get max contracts.
He's an inefficient, empty stats guy who does not play defense. Not conductive to winning basketball.
Can that change? Sure.
Is it likely? Not really, especially if you consider our track record in player development.
Funny you should say that...
Jabari Parker on defense: ‘They don’t pay players to play defense’
“Well, I don’t know I just stick to my strengths,” Parker said. “Look at everybody in the league. They don’t pay players to play defense. There’s only two players, historically, who play defense. I’m not gonna say that I won’t, but to say that’s a weakness is like saying that’s everybody’s weakness. I’ve scored 30s and 20s off of guys who say they try to play defense.”

Article from 2018:
https://www.sbnation.com/2018/7/19/...defense-interview-bulls-bucks-nba-free-agency

This trade is just about money and freeing up cap space. IMHO clearly this roster is not getting it done, but we start sticking with it. I think this is Vlade last season.

I don’t see it posted anywhere else here but Dallas just picked up MKG off waivers. I’m quite a bit out of touch but last I knew he was a sought after defensive SF. If Charlotte wanted to move on, why not Sac before the trade deadline.

I don’t see it posted anywhere else here but Dallas just picked up MKG off waivers. I’m quite a bit out of touch but last I knew he was a sought after defensive SF. If Charlotte wanted to move on, why not Sac before the trade deadline.
He can't shoot well enough to stay on the floor as a PF, let alone a SF. He fits very few teams nowadays, and the Kings aren't one of them. If he learned how to shoot he'd be a perfect forward, but teams won't be paying to find out at this point.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
My explanation is simple, we don't know! Bagley has played in what, 13 games, and he's considered one of the most important parts of our team. I'm as disappointed as everyone else in where we are right now, and I do think some changes need to be made, but I'm not ready to throw out the baby with the bathwater just yet.

Until we get to see the entire team on the floor healthy for at least 30 or 40 games in a row, how the hell are we supposed to judge? First and foremost, what we want is a team, and to play as a team requires chemistry and familiarity. We've had very little of that this season. You can blame who you want for that, Vlade, the training staff, the basketball God's, perhaps to some extent, Walton, but regardless of who you blame, we still have no idea how all the pieces fit together.

When I see Corey Joseph out there guarding Porzingis I wonder if I've just traveled into an alternative universe? Just who do I blame for that? Walton? Yeah, probably, but despite that, how am I supposed to judge anything about the team based on that? That was one of the weirdest games I've watched in a long time, and my kneejerk reaction would be to immediately fire Walton. Upon later reflection, it's probably better to wait until the end of the season, so I can go hide for a bit. I'm speaking as Vivek.

I'm not sure where the KIngs rank in minutes lost to injury, but my guess is that were up there at the top. And it's not just minutes lost, but minutes lost to the most important players on the team. So yeah, Walton has been dealt a tough hand. But let me ask you this, if it was Joerger coaching the team, would we have more wins? How about Malone? Yeah, me too! I have my opinion on who needs to go and who needs to stay as far as players go, but I'll keep them to myself for now. But I would definitely get rid of Walton at the end of the year. I don't think he has a clue what he's doing.

Look, when everything falls into it's proper place, it's a lot easier to coach a team. I get that! But you can really evaluate a coach when he faced with situations he never expected. How will he rise to the occasion? Did I expect the Kings to make the playoff's despite all their injuries? No, and I don't think any logical person would. But I did expect them to look like a well coached team, not the keystone cops. There is talent on this team, and that should translate into more wins than we've had.

I'm fine with most of this roster going into next season, but we need a new leader. No more experiments. Hire a solid, respected coach who is good at dealing with young players as well as older experienced players. I would even go with a highly successful college coach like a Jay Wright of Villanova (only an example). But most of all, hire a coach with a winning track record, and preferably someone that's about team success more than individual success.
I'm not willing to throw out Walton. And FWIW, I doubt he gets canned, as it would be a very expensive proposition. If they want to spend money, spend it on strengthening the scouting staff.

Walton started with five guys who could play center on this team - Bagley, Dedmon, Holmes, Giles, and to a lesser degree Bjelica. Now he has Giles and Bjelica, both undersized and underwhelming on defense. Giles has more of a SF or stretch 4 build, certainly not a center's. Bjelica is slow and undersized, though bulky enough. When Dedmon was playing in the last month, his length and defense were clearly having a positive effect on this team. So what does Divac do? He trades him. Sure, Dedmon had said he wanted out. Just like Webber told Petrie he wanted out. Petrie basically told Webber he didn't care, he was a King. IMO, Divac should have done the same damned thing: Dedmon, grow up, play, earn your money as a King, and like it. Unless Alex Len is going to provide a real defensive impact on this team, the Kings could be puny at the center position for the rest of the season. Walton can't teach length or strength or quickness. And the Kings can't be Houston. They don't have their firepower. I can't blame this gaping hole at the 5 on Walton. It's more the result of injuries and of a decision made by Divac to unload the complaining Dedmon.

Status
Not open for further replies.