Wolves trade Wiggins + Top-3 Protected pick for D'Angelo Russell

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

That is a huge price to pay for Russell although they're probably happy to finally be out from under the shadow of Wiggins's contract.
D'Lo's contract is little better than Wiggins'. Presumably he'll be the better player, but if things don't click they have probably given up a lotto pick next year to just shuffle deck chairs.

The_Jamal

Hall of Famer

That is a huge price to pay for Russell although they're probably happy to finally be out from under the shadow of Wiggins's contract.
I love this for the Wolves. Getting rid of Wiggins would have cost at least 1 first round pick anyway and the fact they got a quality player in return is crazy. Also helps ease KAT, who was well on his way to going off the deep end.

Not sure who wins this trade.

GSW, I suppose. Since they'll get an unprotected 1st round pick in 2022 if it's not conveyed in 2020 (top 5 protected) or 2021 (top 3 protected).

That's what I read, anyway. Haven't confirmed.

So warriors trade KD for Wiggins!
Yeah, well, they were gonna lose KD regardless.

Did you happen to hear his recent interview? Admitted he was gone after the spat w/ Draymond. Didn't like the way the org handled it. Gave praise to almost everyone in the org except Dray and Kerr. Also admitted to using a burner account. lol.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
So warriors trade KD for Wiggins!
Smart front offices are smart though mainly because they think logically. You can't deny their strategy. They are going full on tank with a little added incentive in the form of anther consistent fail of a franchises pick to look forward to. The only issue for them is timing. This draft is meh worthy and the Wolves do have some talent so who knows what they do with a newly formed pick and roll combo of Dlo and Kat. In the end you have a franchise that is always using common sense as the basis of their identity. Can't beat that.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Not sure who wins this trade.

GSW, I suppose. Since they'll get an unprotected 1st round pick in 2022 if it's not conveyed in 2020 (top 5 protected) or 2021 (top 3 protected).

That's what I read, anyway. Haven't confirmed.
Timberwolves won the trade, easily: they got the guy they wanted, they got rid of Wiggins' dead weight, and they didn't have to give up what's probably going to be a Top 3 (and definitely a Top 5) pick this year.

Timberwolves won the trade, easily: they got the guy they wanted, they got rid of Wiggins' dead weight, and they didn't have to give up what's probably going to be a Top 3 (and definitely a Top 5) pick this year.
Yeah, I suppose you're right. I've just never been a DLo fan. But if GSW does end up with an unprotected in 2022, they win. And I don't think that's out of the question. KAT+DLo ain't that imposing. Especially in the West. IMO their gonna need to add another player of significance.

But thinking about it a bit more. The chances of them landing top 5 and top 3 the next 2 years isn't very high. It's hard to get lucky in the lottery twice in a row.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
The criticism about Russell is valid, but he's still not a net negative in the same way that Wiggins is. Minnesota dumping his contract, without having to give up this year's pick, is an unqualified win.

The criticism about Russell is valid, but he's still not a net negative in the same way that Wiggins is. Minnesota dumping his contract, without having to give up this year's pick, is an unqualified win.
Also, the Wolves will probably score a ton in the PnR with Russell and KAT.

But they are still two players that won't stop anybody. Perhaps they should fill the other spots with the best team defenders $$$ can buy? ;)

I think the Warriors win this, if nothing else they now have what will certainly be a high pick for KD walking out on them.

This year is shaping up much like that year the Spurs lost the Admiral and wound up in the lotto. F the Ws.

Watch Wiggins blow up for GSW once the splash brothers return. But Dray might end up hurting him.
I feel this is what is going to happen. Maybe not the Dray part lol. But GSW has the opportunity to turn Wiggins into what he was supposed to be. Mind you, Wiggins was a massive prospect. He's sucked for Minny but you never know.

I actually hope GSW get the Minny pick this year because the draft is so weak.

I feel this is what is going to happen. Maybe not the Dray part lol. But GSW has the opportunity to turn Wiggins into what he was supposed to be. Mind you, Wiggins was a massive prospect. He's sucked for Minny but you never know.

I actually hope GSW get the Minny pick this year because the draft is so weak.
Like I've said numerous times recently, a players success usually boils down to proper fit. Being in the right spot. That's how players go from disappointments in one place to a success some place else. Happens all the time.

Not only that, but once a team gives up on a player it often motivates to work harder than ever before. Wiggins has disappointed for sure, but he's not some no talent journeyman. He's got a ton of talent. And will now be working with guys that are known to work really hard on their craft and know how to win. And have a knack for making others look really good.

Like you, I won't be at all surprised if he ends up turning heads there. He may not becomes all-world, but I'll actually be a bit surprised if it's more of the same.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I think the Warriors win this, if nothing else they now have what will certainly be a high pick for KD walking out on them.
If you're talking about their pick, that was going to happen, with or without this trade. If you're talking about Minnesota's pick, they didn't get it.

Like I've said numerous times recently, a players success usually boils down to proper fit. Being in the right spot. That's how players go from disappointments in one place to a success some place else. Happens all the time.

Not only that, but once a team gives up on a player it often motivates to work harder than ever before. Wiggins has disappointed for sure, but he's not some no talent journeyman. He's got a ton of talent. And will now be working with guys that are known to work really hard on their craft and know how to win. And have a knack for making others look really good.

Like you, I won't be at all surprised if he ends up turning heads there. He may not becomes all-world, but I'll actually be a bit surprised if it's more of the same.
Additionally, with Steph and Klay, Wiggins won't be ball-dominant anymore. He'll play more off-ball, cutting to the basket and such. He won't be shooting nearly as much, which he sucks at He's uber athletic and the Warriors will utilize that skill set along with Steph and Klay. He'll be maximized.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
And hardly at that. This is what good franchises do, they commit to the easiest and most logical path forward. We all wondered how do Curry, Klay, and Russell fit? Well guess what? We never have to find out. They didn't and before it even became an issue they cashed out. This is how you run a franchise.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
And hardly at that. This is what good franchises do, they commit to the easiest and most logical path forward. We all wondered how do Curry, Klay, and Russell fit? Well guess what? We never have to find out. They didn't and before it even became an issue they cashed out. This is how you run a franchise.
Meh. D'Angelo Russell is a better player than Andrew Wiggins, even if only just. Golden State should have been able to do better than a mediocre player on a dead-end contract and conditional picks for him.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Meh. D'Angelo Russell is a better player than Andrew Wiggins, even if only just. Golden State should have been able to do better than a mediocre player on a dead-end contract and conditional picks for him.
I'm no Wiggins fan but can we at least admit he's had a pretty good year? I know the league is so broken that 22 ppg is nothing but he's been decent. The kicker is that pick. Top 3 protection? I think the Wolves have underperformed but that could very well be a lottery pick attached to him. You just witnessed a contending franchise complete a pick package along with their own that could very well net them another superstar via trade this summer. When you don't need the paper clip you trade it for a staple and so on. If you work it right you could very well end up with that Ferrari.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm no Wiggins fan but can we at least admit he's had a pretty good year?
No, we cannot. He's had the counting stats, sure, but he's always had those. The advanced numbers point to him being terrible. There are 33 players in the NBA averaging at least 20 points per game this season. Do you know where Andrew Wiggins ranks out of those 33 players in:

• Box Plus/Minus? 33rd, aka Dead ****ing Last.
  • Player Efficiency Rating? 31st (only Buddy Hield and Bojan Bogdanovic are worse).
  • True Shooting%? 32nd (only ahead of Russell Westbrook).
  • Offensive Rating? 32nd (only ahead of Buddy Hield).
  • Defensive Rating? 26th
  • Win Shares? 32nd (only ahead of D'Angelo Russell).
  • Win Shares per 48? Dead ****ing Last.

The advanced numbers support the thesis that Andrew Wiggins is the worst "big time" scorer in the entire league. So no, we cannot admit that he's had a "pretty good" year.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
No, we cannot. He's had the counting stats, sure, but he's always had those. The advanced numbers point to him being terrible. There are 33 players in the NBA averaging at least 20 points per game this season. Do you know where Andrew Wiggins ranks out of those 33 players in:

• Box Plus/Minus? 33rd, aka Dead ****ing Last.
  • Player Efficiency Rating? 31st (only Buddy Hield and Bojan Bogdanovic are worse).
  • True Shooting%? 32nd (only ahead of Russell Westbrook).
  • Offensive Rating? 32nd (only ahead of Buddy Hield).
  • Defensive Rating? 26th
  • Win Shares? 32nd (only ahead of D'Angelo Russell).
  • Win Shares per 48? Dead ****ing Last.

The advanced numbers support the thesis that Andrew Wiggins is the worst "big time" scorer in the entire league. So no, we cannot admit that he's had a "pretty good" year.
That wasn't really the point of my post, the point is they got a possible lotto pick with a player that plays a position of need for them for something that didn't look like it fit very well with the core they do have. And instead of trying to patch together randomizing lineups from moment to moment like some not to be named franchise they made the logical choice. And in the process they didn't have to ADD assets BTW. As for Wiggins individually, I guess we'll see what those advanced stats look like on a winner (should Klay and Curry come back to form of course) as well because situation means a lot, especially with share numbers. I mean, look at a current George Hill vs his time in Sac. His win share numbers have more than doubled. Without the pick this trade would be more than iffy, but there it is and a good bet one. As Kings fans we kind of have to root for the Wolves to turn it around and quick. Not too much though because the Kings are clearly not looking to rebuild at this point so the less competition the better.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Minnesota wanted D-Lo since the summer of 2019 so they ended up with him and got rid of Wiggins in the process. Give up a lottery pick in this poor of a draft isn't the worst thing they could of done either, good for them.