[The Ringer] The Kings’ Road to the Deadline Could Dictate the Title Chase

The Kings’ Road to the Deadline Could Dictate the Title Chase
Sacramento is way outside the championship picture (naturally). But its decision on Bogdan Bogdanovic could swing the season for a contender.
By Zach Kram Feb 3, 2020, 6:30am EST

On the eve of this NBA season, Sacramento guard Buddy Hield signed a lucrative new contract, extending him for four years at the cost of $86 million (or up to $106 million pending bonuses and incentives). Three months later, Hield lost his starting spot and began coming off the bench...

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/...to-the-deadline-could-dictate-the-title-chase

kb02

All-Star
Sacramento is way outside the championship picture (naturally). But its decision on Bogdan Bogdanovic could swing the season for a contender.

On the eve of this NBA season, Sacramento guard Buddy Hield signed a lucrative new contract, extending him for four years at the cost of $86 million (or up to $106 million pending bonuses and incentives). Three months later, Hield lost his starting spot and began coming off the bench...

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/...to-the-deadline-could-dictate-the-title-chase
That article belongs in the Vlade thread as well.

Good article. It’s funny if posters on this site say things like this they get label as negative posters. I respond to posts on here but erase the post most of the time before posting because I don’t want to be labeled a “hater”. This article is reality. Barnes is a terrible contract. Bagley wasn’t a good pick. Buddy gets paid too much. Not picking up the Giles option was dumb. All of these decisions have been made by Vlade. The only way this franchise is getting on track is with a new front office.

Good article. It’s funny if posters on this site say things like this they get label as negative posters. I respond to posts on here but erase the post most of the time before posting because I don’t want to be labeled a “hater”. This article is reality. Barnes is a terrible contract. Bagley wasn’t a good pick. Buddy gets paid too much. Not picking up the Giles option was dumb. All of these decisions have been made by Vlade. The only way this franchise is getting on track is with a new front office.
This site is a bit touchy overall. I guess it comes from being a small market team?

It's easier to blame refs/schedule's/injuries and say stuff like they need more time than actually look at the reality of the mess.

It's easier to blame refs/schedule's/injuries and say stuff like they need more time than actually look at the reality of the mess.
For me, it was that the thought of another rebuild was so deflating. Now that it’s inevitable, it’s kind of like ripping the band-aid off. On topic, I feel like we could have a big re-shuffle of the roster here—Bogi, Bjelica, Bagley and Barnes could all be moved.

For me, it was that the thought of another rebuild was so deflating. Now that it’s inevitable, it’s kind of like ripping the band-aid off. On topic, I feel like we could have a big re-shuffle of the roster here—Bogi, Bjelica, Bagley and Barnes could all be moved.
Why would a rebuild be deflating compared to a treadmill 9-15th seed?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I am not impressed by this article at all. Buddy moved to the second unit and has, thus far, flourished - a fact the writer conveniently ignores.

It's funny to me that this rehash of what critics have been saying all along is a "good article" and a "fair analysis of the front office mismanagement''.. There's absolutely nothing new there. Amazing how personal bias can influence one's perception.

The title of the article suggested this would be about the potential impact of Bogdan on different teams championship hopes. Aside from a quick acknowledgement that Bogdan is pretty good, most of the content seems to be just willing him away from the Kings. If there is a team that thinks Bogdan can make a difference between playoff exist and championship opportunity then they can give us something that reflects that valuation.

Also would like to take issue with the negative appraisal of the Kings. We do not have a winning record, and, for the most part, ball don't lie. However, selectively highlighting almost every negative possible lacks imagination and is inferior to debate.

I have not read the article yet but why the heck would the Kings want to trade Bogdan to the Lakers and help them win more??? Or help any team win more???

I am a firm believer in not trading with the Lakers ever! I don't want Hinkie as GM and I don't want to go thru "The Process". Bottom line Hinkie got fired and Philly still is not the unstoppable force some like to think it is. Exhibit A is look at the Miami Heat.

I am not impressed by this article at all. Buddy moved to the second unit and has, thus far, flourished - a fact the writer conveniently ignores.
Are you reading what you are saying? The checkbook was brought out for the teams highest paid player and leading scorer, and he was playing so poorly in a starting role they had to change the lineup. So yeah, it is concerning when you turn your "Curry" into Bobby Jackson.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Are you reading what you are saying? The checkbook was brought out for the teams highest paid player and leading scorer, and he was playing so poorly in a starting role they had to change the lineup. So yeah, it is concerning when you turn your "Curry" into Bobby Jackson.
Did you read the article?

It's funny to me that this rehash of what critics have been saying all along is a "good article" and a "fair analysis of the front office mismanagement''.. There's absolutely nothing new there. Amazing how personal bias can influence one's perception.
Of course the average kings fan won't be impressed with this article. I have a feeling the FO isn't impressed with this article either. Its what happens when reality hits your right in the gut.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

That's why I like this article. If Bogs could in fact sway the balance of power, how much would a contender be willing to pay to get him? A lot. If you buy into the premise, then the value that he should bring the Kings should not be paltry.

My bet is bogs isn't traded and ends up walking because the kings can't match the offer he ends up getting from another team. A very KANGS move.......but expected.

Did you read the article?
I wasn't commenting on the article. I'm commenting on a poster who is presenting Buddy's benching as a positive, which it isn't. Yes I read the article and the point of highlighting Buddy's struggles this season is in the context of his contract, which correlates to multiple other bad decisions by this front office which was the entire point of the article: the Kings have backed themselves into a corner with Bogdon because of multiple poor decisions.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I wasn't commenting on the article. I'm commenting on a poster who is presenting Buddy's benching as a positive, which it isn't. Yes I read the article and the point of highlighting Buddy's struggles this season is in the context of his contract, which correlates to multiple other bad decisions by this front office which was the entire point of the article: the Kings have backed themselves into a corner with Bogdon because of multiple poor decisions.
They haven't though?

It's been pretty obvious that the Kings are intent on building around the three guard "rotation" of Fox/Buddy/Bogi no matter the costs for at least the last two years. Hell, Vlade offered the max amount of money he could offer Bogi literally as he was also offering Buddy a contract that nearly reached nine figures. What makes you think he suddenly won't do the same in the off-season?

They haven't though?

It's been pretty obvious that the Kings are intent on building around the three guard "rotation" of Fox/Buddy/Bogi no matter the costs for at least the last two years. Hell, Vlade offered the max amount of money he could offer Bogi literally as he was also offering Buddy a contract that nearly reached nine figures. What makes you think he suddenly won't do the same in the off-season?
How is this obvious? If that is their intent, why is there so much noise about a possible Bogi trade?
If this is really the plan, likely the word would have been out that Vlade would have hung up the phone on any inquiries about Bogi, IMO.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
How is this obvious? If that is their intent, why is there so much noise about a possible Bogi trade?
If this is really the plan, likely the word would have been out that Vlade would have hung up the phone on any inquiries about Bogi, IMO.
99.5% of that noise has been coming from the Ringer, which has like one legit NBA reporter and a bunch of podcasters who think they're insiders, which is really par for the course for a website started by Bill Simmons.

The Ringer is a good pop culture website but its biggest contribution as a sports site during its existence has been that Leonard Cohen parody about Luka Doncic.

They haven't though?

Look at the team's payroll. When Fox's extension hits it isn't going to be pretty if they give Bogi a big payday.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I thought the interest about Bogi from LA and the Hornets came from Zach Lowe and ESPN.
You have to read the wording on those rumors from Lowe though because they're framed from the perspectives of the teams trying to get Bogi rather than from the perspective of the team that, y'know, actually owns his rights.

I would like to date a supermodel but its not happening if she refuses to acknowledge that I even exist.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Look at the team's payroll. When Fox's extension hits it isn't going to be pretty if they give Bogi a big payday.
What about the past several years of Kings basketball makes you think that they'd care about payroll. This isn't Maloof-era "No Geoff, we aren't going to let you pay a power forward so you're gonna need to draft one" penny-pinching. Pretty sure Vivek is still paying our last three coaches. He'll pay for Bogi if Vlade convinces him its necessary for the Kings to win

You have to read the wording on those rumors from Lowe though because they're framed from the perspectives of the teams trying to get Bogi rather than from the perspective of the team that, y'know, actually owns his rights.

I would like to date a supermodel but its not happening if she refuses to acknowledge that I even exist.
But no whiff of a rumor out there of the Kings shooting down these rumors or stating that Bogi is not for sale, which was my main point.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
But no whiff of a rumor out there of the Kings shooting down these rumors or stating that Bogi is not for sale, which was my main point.
Let's be real: If Vlade flat out said "We're not trading Bogi", half of the fanbase would be going "ZOMG ITS A SMOKESCREEEN FOR A BOGI TRADE!" and another significant portion of the fanbase would be crying because they hyped themselves up for a ridiculous trade that was never going to happen anyways. The Kings gain absolutely nothing by public stating they won't trade a guy lest we've already forgotten the Boogie trade saga.

What about the past several years of Kings basketball makes you think that they'd care about payroll. This isn't Maloof-era "No Geoff, we aren't going to let you pay a power forward so you're gonna need to draft one" penny-pinching. Pretty sure Vivek is still paying our last three coaches. He'll pay for Bogi if Vlade convinces him its necessary for the Kings to win
It means salary is tied up in mediocre and bad players, making their contracts immovable and the team being in a position of being unable to improve. That's the problem.