[Game] Kings v. Thunder - Wednesday, Jan. 29 - 7PT/10ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't know what sort of point Walton is trying to make but he can probably take Buddy out for JJ instead of playing him with the bench guys in garbage time for some reason.

It’s just remarkable to me how consistently the Kings cannot defend against the three-ball - game after game.
It's the same thing Joerger did but even worse. He has the perimeter defender on the weakside helping from the wing all the way to literally under the rim on either a big or on penetration. Clearly somebody (with clipboard privileges) doesn't know what they're doing or the players aren't able to pull it off. As in like 15 deep not able to. Sure once and awhile you'll see a random zone thrown in there for good measure. For a few plays they'll extend the defense (as they should) but right back we go.

OKC is too good for us. Should have thrown in the towel sooner.
And not to throw out too many excuses but game planning fails aside, tonight the Kings were obviously a step slow and the refs called some absolute BS. I have to imagine at some point Fox is going full on postal seeing players much less able to draw contact get call after call. Or the Kings bigs getting called this tight on off ball crap.

And not to throw out too many excuses but game planning fails aside, tonight the Kings were obviously a step slow and the refs called some absolute BS. I have to imagine at some point Fox is going full on postal seeing players much less able to draw contact get call after call. Or the Kings bigs getting called this tight on off ball crap.
its probably going to get worse tomorrow as we play an even better team. My guess is Kings play better than tonight, but the result will be the same.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
As the Kings head to the airport to fly down to LA, I can only imagine how tough the next couple of games are going to be for them.

Tonight was, as someone said, a scheduled loss. That was OKC out there...and they're really good in case some of you have forgotten.

Good night and Go KINGS!

Amazingly, our 3PT% against is actually BETTER than league average. I'd NEVER have bet on that. I'd have lost a lot of money betting the other way.
That’s rather difficult to believe, but I guess I’ll take your word for it. I will say this - the Kings don’t seem to able to play solid enough defense when it is needed to stop/disrupt the other team’s momentum. This results in huge scoring runs by the opposition that are hard to overcome.

Just so frustrating watching OKC already be better than us the season after trading Russ Westbrook and Paul George AND have the most impressive collection of 1st round picks in NBA history over the next few seasons. Same deal with Memphis too. They look a lot like we did last year with a really good looking young core (Ja, Clarke, JJJ, Brooks) with some really quality veterans around them.

We just had absolutely 0 chance or looked like we could compete in this one. OKC is good, but they're not a serious contender and are somewhere in that 11-15 range of teams in terms of power rankings. Games like this really show how far off we are from ever being in title contention.

Just so frustrating watching OKC already be better than us the season after trading Russ Westbrook and Paul George AND have the most impressive collection of 1st round picks in NBA history over the next few seasons. Same deal with Memphis too. They look a lot like we did last year with a really good looking young core (Ja, Clarke, JJJ, Brooks) with some really quality veterans around them.

We just had absolutely 0 chance or looked like we could compete in this one. OKC is good, but they're not a serious contender and are somewhere in that 11-15 range of teams in terms of power rankings. Games like this really show how far off we are from ever being in title contention.
Agreed, hurts watching those teams already bounce back like that than there’s us and Atlanta. The bold part let’s say we’re far from a playoff team let alone being contenders

Games like this also show how important player Mr. Holmes is for us. Without him, our defense does not work. He was also the most reliable part of our offense.

Agreed, hurts watching those teams already bounce back like that than there’s us and Atlanta. The bold part let’s say we’re far from a playoff team let alone being contenders
If we're not even contenders for a playoff spot we need to be moving on from the core of this team.

Are fox and Bagley going to take this team deep into the playoffs

No obviously not. So why are we keeping them.

Bjelica was pure garbage tonight also Bogi/Buddy giving up straight line drives to Dort (great game) was awful as well, we lack talent that's the issue other than every now and than Buddy having a insane shooting streak or Fox going a quarter end to end scoring the team is losing and play super boring basketball.

It was another vintage did Barnes even play game tonight. The team is slow and low IQ which a combo that gets you close to 15 games below 500..

They're in a Catch-22 situation a lot of the time. They'd give him more minutes, but he collects fouls to the point where they cannot rely on him to make it through the game. He's not only a foul magnet, he's a foul target. There are a lot of players out there smart enough to put Giles into a situation where drawing a foul from him is ridiculously easy.

I like what I see at times from Harry but he is not at this point much more than a lot of potential that hasn't yet come to fruition.
Yes, Harry can be a fouling machine at times. But if the logic is to NOT give him more minutes because of the fouling, look at the stats on a month by month basis, along with the avg minutes played:
Fouls/36 Min Avg Min/Gm
9.1 November 7.4
6.4 December 16.9
6.8 January 12.9
7.2 All Games 11.4

Last night against OKC, for example, Harry played 17 min and only picked up one foul.

What all this tells me is that giving Harry more minutes helps him (work to) improve his fouling rate. It is true that Harry has a long way to go in improving his fouling rate, and it will take more than increased playing time to get there. But giving him more minutes is a start.

p.s. I'm also going to post this in the Giles thread... hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing that. ;)

Games like this also show how important player Mr. Holmes is for us. Without him, our defense does not work. He was also the most reliable part of our offense.
The fact that our play falls totally falls off a cliff without Holmes is such a great microcosm for this organization and all the issues we currently have. We spent over 60 million this off-season on "our targets" and none of them even come close in terms of impact to the guy signed as an afterthought on a 2/10 deal. In fact, Holmes has been more valuable by himself than Dedmon/Barnes/CoJo/Ariza(Baze) combined.

Those 4 were supposed to be the quality depth around our core guys and they've just provided next to nothing this season. Add in the fact that Fox, Bagley and Bogdan have all missed time this season and you got a great recipe as to why we suck.

Last edited:
The fact that our play falls totally falls off a cliff without Holmes is such a great microcosm for this organization and all the issues we currently have. We spent over 60 million this off-season on "our targets" and none of them even come close in terms of impact to the guy signed as an afterthought on a 2/10 deal. In fact, Holmes has been more valuable by himself than Dedmon/Barnes/CoJo/Ariza(Baze) combined.

Those 4 were supposed to be the quality depth around our core guys and they've just provided next to nothing this season. Add in the fact that Fox, Bagley and Bogdan have all missed time this season and you got a great recipe as to why we suck.
Add Barnes/Buddy/Bogi to that combined figure.

Add Barnes/Buddy/Bogi to that combined figure.
Buddy is just clear misuse by Walton. We saw enough last year at how good Buddy/Fox was when they got to run and play in transition and. They were clearly a top 5 back-court in the NBA. There was a stat rolling around last year where Buddy and Fox were both in the top 3 in like miles run per game, or top-end speed, don't quite remember. But it was related to pace and us getting up and down the floor the entire game and never letting up.

The sign of a great coach is one that can adapt to any set of players they have. Walton doesn't seem to have that ability and we've seen all year long the "round peg in a square hole" effect play out game after game.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

if OKC gets it right on some of their first round picks in the upcoming drafts, they will be right back in title contention so we'll see how it plays out. As of now though, they are a middle of the pack team and they've definitely surprised a lot of people with their play this season but lets face something here, Kings make even the lottery teams look all worldly so this is nothing new.

As the Kings head to the airport to fly down to LA, I can only imagine how tough the next couple of games are going to be for them.

Tonight was, as someone said, a scheduled loss. That was OKC out there...and they're really good in case some of you have forgotten.

Good night and Go KINGS!
We beat the Thunder in December on their home court. Bogi hit a shot CP3 said he knew it was going in. Where is the defense they were playing earlier in the season?

We look horrible on both ends of the court. No communication on defense. Overplaying the paint to leave shooters wide open (in what seems like forever). Offense is hero-ball. No passing, mo trust in team mates, and very rarely and dribble penetration to break down the defense.

At this point I don't want to see any lame band-aid fixes (trades). This is who we are under this management and coach.

We beat the Thunder in December on their home court. Bogi hit a shot CP3 said he knew it was going in. Where is the defense they were playing earlier in the season?

We look horrible on both ends of the court. No communication on defense. Overplaying the paint to leave shooters wide open (in what seems like forever). Offense is hero-ball. No passing, mo trust in team mates, and very rarely and dribble penetration to break down the defense.

At this point I don't want to see any lame band-aid fixes (trades). This is who we are under this management and coach.

Annotation 2020-01-30 174319.png

Status
Not open for further replies.