Profile of Next GM

The one time an owner paid for a proven GM it culminated in our Golden Generation. Maybe I’m crazy, but I think we should try a proven GM again—one that has a scouting background (i.e. not a former agent or a quant) and a proven draft record. Ujiri or Connelly...don’t be cheap, Vivek.

Here’s the thing...our biggest problem has been scouting/drafting, and Hinkie sucks at both. In fact, him sucking at both is a big part of his “process” sales pitch, in that most superstars are drafted high, so a team needs to draft high and hope they get superstars—but it’s essentially a coin flip whether they turn out. It’s why he stacked top 10 picks for big men even worse than Vlade has. I don’t think Hinkie addresses any of our problems. We need an elite scout, like we had in Petrie, and Vivek needs to make godfather offers to the likes of Presti, Ujiri, and Connelly. Perhaps Adam Silver can assist Vivek like he did Sixers ownership.

Here’s the thing...our biggest problem has been scouting/drafting, and Hinkie sucks at both. In fact, him sucking at both is a big part of his “process” sales pitch, in that most superstars are drafted high, so a team needs to draft high and hope they get superstars—but it’s essentially a coin flip whether they turn out. It’s why he stacked top 10 picks for big men even worse than Vlade has. I don’t think Hinkie addresses any of our problems. We need an elite scout, like we had in Petrie, and Vivek needs to make godfather offers to the likes of Presti, Ujiri, and Connelly. Perhaps Adam Silver can assist Vivek like he did Sixers ownership.
Silver ****ed Philadelphia being getting rid of hunkiest for the scrubs he brought in they’ve have made big mistakes there

Maybe it’s worth going with someone who is “in the game now” rather than a re-tread coming out of “retirement”. I don’t claim to be knowledgeable about particular names, but here’s a profile: An NBA assistant GM currently working with/under a savvy and capable head GM in a stable, respected franchise (maybe even a small market) that knows how to build quality teams. I’m imagining a “younger” person who has enough experience in their current capacity to be fully knowledgeable about today’s League, who is really sharp and highly motivated to put their own stamp on a different organization as head GM. Maybe finding such a person is like trying to capture a unicorn, and/or some of you don’t agree. I’m just offering my thoughts.

It all starts with the gm. He/she decides the overall strategy and makes the final decisions. A bad franchise wont get good if the gm is bad. You stay bad by hanging on to bad decision makers. Vlade should be done after the season so best case scenario is if we paid a huge amount of money to someone that has proven to be a great gm. If not, there are other ways to.

Just get someone that has worked in an Nba front office before, someone who understands how the game is played aka the value of different positions and roles. Someone who can implement a smart 2-3 year strategy, someone that can lay out the plan for owners and fans on how we are going to get more talent and assets in 2-3 years. In order to get from horrible to good, you need a very good guy to make these decisions. We dont have that at the moment but hopefully we get that after the season

He definitely knows a thing or two about drafting second overall...
Well, he certainly blew the Darko pick.

But, despite that, Joe Dumars managed to help Detroit win a championship with no true superstar. I know it was a long time ago, but he can't be any worse than Vlade's drafting.

If the Kings want to save face, a Joe Dumars promotion to GM with full personnel powers and Vlade stepping in as just the President or "ambassador role", would give the Kings a proven winner at GM.

Agreed.

I'd wager Hinkie would want to keep Fox, keep an eye on Bagley and be willing to move everyone else.

I mean it would sort of suck short term for Fox, but it is the best way for us to get long term talent here.
I just strongly disagree with Hinkie given our issues. Hinkie's draft record is as bad, if not worse, than Vlade's. Hinkie's whole strategy is:

1. Teams need superstars
2. Superstars are predominately drafted within the first 5 picks
3. Therefore, we need to get top 5 picks, select the highest variance guys, and hope they are a superstar

Given Hinkie's draft history, there is a strong likelihood that Bagley would have also been his pick. Hinkie's hiring would also signal ALOT of incoming very bad basketball, and I don't think the fanbase could stomach another three years of hopelessness. Ujiri, Connelly, and Presti have all showed an ability to retool small(er) markets on the fly. Vivek needs to spend the money for an experienced hand.

Maybe it’s worth going with someone who is “in the game now” rather than a re-tread coming out of “retirement”. I don’t claim to be knowledgeable about particular names, but here’s a profile: An NBA assistant GM currently working with/under a savvy and capable head GM in a stable, respected franchise (maybe even a small market) that knows how to build quality teams. I’m imagining a “younger” person who has enough experience in their current capacity to be fully knowledgeable about today’s League, who is really sharp and highly motivated to put their own stamp on a different organization as head GM. Maybe finding such a person is like trying to capture a unicorn, and/or some of you don’t agree. I’m just offering my thoughts.
This describes PDA, Schlenk, McDonough (Suns), Hennigan (Magic) and a host of others. On the flip side, obviously guys like Presti/Connelly/etc. all started somewhere. Still, we need a steady hand 14 years in. Vivek needs to spend the money on a sure bet this time.

Well, he certainly blew the Darko pick.

But, despite that, Joe Dumars managed to help Detroit win a championship with no true superstar. I know it was a long time ago, but he can't be any worse than Vlade's drafting.

If the Kings want to save face, a Joe Dumars promotion to GM with full personnel powers and Vlade stepping in as just the President or "ambassador role", would give the Kings a proven winner at GM.
I respect that. I think he had his fair share positives and negatives. All the acquisitions of the starting 5 for those teams were great gets (rip, Chauncey, sheed, Ben) and drafting tayshaun was Paramount. But then after: Iverson trade, Charlie V and Ben Gordon signings etc. He didn't finish very strong, that's for sure. I'd be pretty neutral if he took over for Vlade.

I just strongly disagree with Hinkie given our issues. Hinkie's draft record is as bad, if not worse, than Vlade's. Hinkie's whole strategy is:

1. Teams need superstars
2. Superstars are predominately drafted within the first 5 picks
3. Therefore, we need to get top 5 picks, select the highest variance guys, and hope they are a superstar

Given Hinkie's draft history, there is a strong likelihood that Bagley would have also been his pick. Hinkie's hiring would also signal ALOT of incoming very bad basketball, and I don't think the fanbase could stomach another three years of hopelessness. Ujiri, Connelly, and Presti have all showed an ability to retool small(er) markets on the fly. Vivek needs to spend the money for an experienced hand.
He found Holmes/Jeremi Grant in the 2nd round and got Joel ,got the ROY in MCW and smartly traded him right away afterwards, drafted Payton a solid NBA starting guard, I'm pretty sure he also discovered Covington/signed him. His huge miss was Okafor and he's the one that crushed Vlade in that pick swap trade.

Signed/found TJ McConnell

He landed 1 superstar(Jojo) and found like 4-5 starting level/rotation players (Holmes/Convington/TJ/Payton).

When you consider what the roster was when he got there as well the two best pieces were Thad Young/Holiday..

Sure he's not elite I guess but he's way better than Vlade, the draft choices he made are on a different universe to Vlade.

Last edited:
He found Holmes/Jeremi Grant in the 2nd round and got Joel ,got the ROY in MCW and smartly traded him right away afterwards, drafted Payton a solid NBA starting guard, I'm pretty sure he also discovered Covington/signed him. His huge miss was Okafor and he's the one that crushed Vlade in that pick swap trade.

He landed 1 superstar(Jojo) and found like 4-5 starting level/rotation players (Holmes/Convington/TJ/Payton).

When you consider what the roster was when he got there as well the two best pieces were Thad Young/Holiday..

Sure he's not elite I guess but he's way better than Vlade, the draft choices he made are on a different universe to Vlade.
He drafted Payton, but traded him on draft day to the Magic for Dario and a couple picks, one of those turning out to be Richaun I think

That’s all great, but I’m not comparing him to Vlade, I’m comparing him to Ujiri/Connelly/Presti. They find second round gems, too. Our problem, as identified by CD, is we don’t find superstars with the superstar level picks. Hinkie is 1-3. Noel was a HUGE miss, too.

Any chance Geoff Petrie is bored put of his mind in retirement? Lol. He’s younger than Jerry West, who is still going strong.

IDC if he’d work only as an advisor. The type of player he coveted back in the late 90’s, early 2000’s is exactly what works best today. He has an eye for that kind of talent and would no longer have the Magoofs handcuffing him with shallow pockets and making coaching/draft decisions as they did the last several years he was here.

I know it’s a pipe dream, but dreaming out loud is all we fans have got right now.....

Any chance Geoff Petrie is bored put of his mind in retirement? Lol. He’s younger than Jerry West, who is still going strong.

IDC if he’d work only as an advisor. The type of player he coveted back in the late 90’s, early 2000’s is exactly what works best today. He has an eye for that kind of talent and would no longer have the Magoofs handcuffing him with shallow pockets and making coaching/draft decisions as they did the last several years he was here.

I know it’s a pipe dream, but dreaming out loud is all we fans have got right now.....
There might be a small chance Geoff Petrie would consider advising Vlade/Peja. The way Vivek dismissed Petrie would have to be resolved. Vivek was called "a dismissive little chap" by Petrie afterwards so there is that.

Someone who's willing to acquire and develop talent using any and all channels. An NBA version of what Farhan Zahidi is doing with the SF Giants--waiver claims, salary dumps.

As an aside, I had dinner with a buddy, who used to work for the Dodgers last night. He's a diehard Dodger fan. Anyway, we were discussing the niners and how I believe they need to win the SB to really make a dent over the next 5 years. Otherwise they'll be like the Sharks (good for 20 years, but have never won it) or the...Dodgers! :) He wasn't very happy about it. We made a bet. In the next 5 years, the Giants will win the WS (!) before the Dodgers. The wager is a pack of IPA. I'm going to win.

Last edited: