Best coaching candidate for next season?

I didn't say he did. The quote was he couldn't coach talent. He was able to do a better job of it than Kerr in GS.
There are more parts to coaching than just handling players. That's basically what he did with the Warriors. I think in terms of handling players he's tremendous from what I can tell but in LA he was allowed to run the show and thus "coach". Once LeBron came in, the curtain came down. It's still too early in the game to know for sure how this ends, but right now the curtain is starting to drop yet again.

Walton was running the second slowest offense in the league until Vivek had to get in his ear to pick up the pace. Players shuffling in and out has nothing to do with it. Running the second slowest offense with Fox as your QB makes zero sense. Running the second slowest offense with CoJo as your PG makes good sense. Gearing your offense away from your star player and toward a backup PG is insanely stupid IMO.

I don't think the Lakers have anything to do with it. What did Walton accomplish to earn himself such a long term deal here? His resume was as weak as it gets and Vlade acted as if he had found a gold mine when he hired him.

I thought Joerger playing ZBo ball during Fox's rookie year was a fireable offense as well. An entire year was wasted on that. Fox could have came out of the gate more like Ja Morant, but instead he wasn't able to use nearly any of the tools that got him to the NBA and a lot of development time was wasted there. Second year, Joerger played to his strengths and all the sudden the wins started piling up. Maybe the same will happen with Walton but my question is, why are we throwing away entire seasons on what amounts to nothing other than coaches being stubborn with their philosophies?
It's insane to me that in the year 2020, coaches still think that their own "system" matters and need their own "players" to fit into it. The best coaches are adaptable to the talent they have and make adjustments based on the talent they have.

First half last year, the Kings established a true team identity. We may not have been the best team in the league, but we for sure were one of the toughest outs on a nightly basis. Team was going to come at you for 48 minutes and you weren't ready to run, we'd run you out of the building by the 4th quarter.

Like you said, being at the bottom of the league in pace is damn near a fire able offense with the core we have. First, second and third option for this core should be run the damn ball and don't let up at any point.

And we saw it in the 2nd quarter of that Grizzlies game a few weeks ago with Fox/Buddy/Bogi/Barnes/Holmes and they were just absolutely blazing up and down the court. Defensive intensity was there and we just never let up on the gas pedal at any point. That was the same energy the team played with in the first half of last year and we need to rediscover that if this core is ever going to be a playoff contender.

I feel dirty saying it but I kind of like LaMelo as a prospect this year. Lavar has been relatively quiet since Lonzo has been moved out of the spotlight in LA. I’m wondering what distractions he’d bring if the Kings took LaMelo knowing we’re not a big market either.

Now why am I bringing this up here? I feel like LaMelo is off our draft board as long as we have Luke Walton as our coach considering the comments Lavar has made about Walton.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I feel dirty saying it but I kind of like LaMelo as a prospect this year. Lavar has been relatively quiet since Lonzo has been moved out of the spotlight in LA. I’m wondering what distractions he’d bring if the Kings took LaMelo knowing we’re not a big market either.

Now why am I bringing this up here? I feel like LaMelo is off our draft board as long as we have Luke Walton as our coach considering the comments Lavar has made about Walton.
???

Not sure, even with your explanation, why this is in the coaching candidate thread. ;0

???

Not sure, even with your explanation, why this is in the coaching candidate thread. ;0
Having a coach that limits the prospects we can draft (especially when they are looked at as a top prospect) should be a factor in retaining that said coach. Now just because it's a factor it doesn't mean it should be the entire reason behind getting rid of a coach, but again it's something that should at least weigh into the decision (however big or small that weight may be).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Having a coach that limits the prospects we can draft (especially when they are looked at as a top prospect) should be a factor in retaining that said coach. Now just because it's a factor it doesn't mean it should be the entire reason behind getting rid of a coach, but again it's something that should at least weigh into the decision (however big or small that weight may be).
So, to paraphrase, since you want us to look at LaMelo - and Luke purportedly doesn't like LaMelo - Luke would not be the best coaching candidate and, in fact, needs to go?

So, to paraphrase, since you want us to look at LaMelo - and Luke purportedly doesn't like LaMelo - Luke would not be the best coaching candidate and, in fact, needs to go?
No, that’s a gross misrepresentation of what I said.

And I never said Luke doesn’t like LaMelo.

And what is there to paraphrase? My post was 2 sentences. I think it’s paraphrased enough compared to my typical posts.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Attempt #2: So you want us to look at LaMelo but Lavar (LaMelo's dad) HATES Luke Walton so Walton has to go or our chances of getting LaMelo decrease?

Attempt #2: So you want us to look at LaMelo but Lavar (LaMelo's dad) HATES Luke Walton so Walton has to go or our chances of getting LaMelo decrease?
Again, where did I say Walton “has to go?”

You’re trying to back me into this black or white stance when I’m firmly in the gray.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Again, where did I say Walton “has to go?”

You’re trying to back me into this black or white stance when I’m firmly in the gray.
No, I really wasn't ... I'm actually sorry you think I was.

You brought up wanting LeMelo in a thread about coaching. I was honestly trying to figure out how your comment about LeMelo was relevant. It's apparent now we're just not seeing this the same way...