[Game] Kings v Grizzlies - Thursday, Jan. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but there is nuances in there.

The system Walton put together without Fox and Bagley work in a way that is similar to GSW with lots of dribble drives and pick-n-roll into 3 point shooters spacing the floor. When Fox/Bagley came back, they took significant minutes and so their relative lack of outside shooting exposed the team's weakness. So it's easy to get to the conclusion of "Maybe we are better without Fox".
No it really isn’t. Fox is the best finisher we have and has the best handles. Bagley tho needs to at least be able to hit the mid range.

Watched the replay this morning, great to see a win. Having Fox back and engaged was such a nice sight, hope it continues. This team has the pieces to be at least decent, so hopefully this losing streak ends up as the catalyst to turning this season around.

Watched the replay this morning, great to see a win. Having Fox back and engaged was such a nice sight, hope it continues. This team has the pieces to be at least decent, so hopefully this losing streak ends up as the catalyst to turning this season around.
What would turning the season around mean to you? Initially it least would require a reverse equal winning streak, or winning percentage just to make it back to .500. They're in a fairly deep hole. I fear too deep for this team.....give em a 1/6 chance to make .500 and a 1/15 chance at the playoffs. Yesterdays win uncoincidentally reminded of last years team on offense scoring 128 pts.

Giles needs to be on the court. IDC if he fouls out. Let him. Still no excuse for declining his option.

Fox is not the problem with this team. He may not be the superstar people want him to be, but he's definitely not hurting the Kings.

Buddy needs to study. If he was a smarter player, a lot of deficiencies in his game, especially defense, could be mitigated on both ends of the court. I wish Christie would coach individually like a position coach in the NFL. Just have him mentor individuals on specific areas of the game because he really needs to up is bball IQ.

Holmes is everything we hoped WCS would be.

What would turning the season around mean to you? Initially it least would require a reverse equal winning streak, or winning percentage just to make it back to .500. They're in a fairly deep hole. I fear too deep for this team.....give em a 1/6 chance to make .500 and a 1/15 chance at the playoffs. Yesterdays win uncoincidentally reminded of last years team on offense scoring 128 pts.
Objectively? At least .500 for the rest of the season and/or competing for the 8th playoff spot

Subjectively? I just want to see this team start to have fun playing basketball again.

Hopefully the two go hand in hand

Giles needs to be on the court. IDC if he fouls out. Let him. Still no excuse for declining his option.

Fox is not the problem with this team. He may not be the superstar people want him to be, but he's definitely not hurting the Kings.

Buddy needs to study. If he was a smarter player, a lot of deficiencies in his game, especially defense, could be mitigated on both ends of the court. I wish Christie would coach individually like a position coach in the NFL. Just have him mentor individuals on specific areas of the game because he really needs to up is bball IQ.

I don't even know if Christie could help him. Buddy just isn't a smart player. I'm sure he's been coached to death to not day dream while his man backdoor cuts him for an easy layup but he still allows about 4 points per game on that brain fart alone.

I don't even know if Christie could help him. Buddy just isn't a smart player. I'm sure he's been coached to death to not day dream while his man backdoor cuts him for an easy layup but he still allows about 4 points per game on that brain fart alone.
Exactly. A lot of this "coaching" that fans are constantly asking for on select players just boils down to basketball IQ and common sense.

Some of the blunders that Buddy makes every game just come down to pure common sense. You can lead a horse to water.....

Ive been hard on the guy but I do think that Buddy was much improved on defense last night, with at least a couple of huge blocks that seemed to come out of nowhere. He also made it a point to drive to the basket more frequently than I'm used to seeing, especially the first half. Dont know how coachable he is, but he seemed to have processed at least some of the good council he's been getting.

Ive been hard on the guy but I do think that Buddy was much improved on defense last night, with at least a couple of huge blocks that seemed to come out of nowhere. He also made it a point to drive to the basket more frequently than I'm used to seeing, especially the first half. Dont know how coachable he is, but he seemed to have processed at least some of the good council he's been getting.
Not every player on a team is going to be a stud defensively. Look at harden and curry. What buddy needs is to figure out when he has people behind him to cover up for him on defense. But let’s not waste time teaching him everything about defense let’s bring out the best in his strengths

Not every player on a team is going to be a stud defensively. Look at harden and curry. What buddy needs is to figure out when he has people behind him to cover up for him on defense. But let’s not waste time teaching him everything about defense let’s bring out the best in his strengths
He had as many rebounds as Holmes last night, with more points and assists to boot. It was a good night for Buddy!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
...Too much dribble dribble hero ball...
...Too much taking 3 point shots early in the clock...
...Too much dribbling laterally, going nowhere...
Totally agree. I'd also add:

...Too much myopia regarding open teammates...
...Too much waiting for the other guy to make a move...

Having said all that, however, I was pretty pleased with the turnaround AND the focus on defense and hustle. The potential is definitely there.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I could not possibly agree more.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I could not possibly agree more.
I think I counted around 7x where Christie made reference to Buddy's "errors and omissions" on the defensive end of the floor against Memphis. Of course, he doesn't usually name him, but it is perfectly clear who he is talking about when he's offering up the criticisms. Christie has seen quite a few Kings' practices and is impressed with the coaches' attention to detail on the defensive end. I doubt the coaches are telling Buddy anything differently than what Christie is saying on TV. Having seen 35 games so far this season, I'm not optimistic about Buddy's ability to ever be up to par on defense. . Unfortunately, I just don't think he has it in him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Totally agree. I'd also add:

...Too much myopia regarding open teammates...
...Too much waiting for the other guy to make a move...

Having said all that, however, I was pretty pleased with the turnaround AND the focus on defense and hustle. The potential is definitely there.
I liked what I saw in hustle after the first quarter. IMO, Fox's great defensive play in the first quarter mitigated a full fledged disaster to open the game. Without Fox, I shudder to think what would have happened. Is Fox going to have to make five steals and two blocks a game to make this team decent on defense? In this next game, how many times are we going to see those straight-line drives Christie so often talks about? I'm asking Santa for a post-Christmas gift: Please let me see a lot more of Justin James on the floor. I promise I'll be good.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Giles led the in-game comeback with defense and passing......both him and James really need to be in the normal rotation
And Giles and Bjelica should be running elbow offense for cutters just like of old.
With our roster, no one should be running the elbow unless our entire guard rotation has been decimated by injury.

I realize we're all stuck in the past where our two best players were big men who could pass and needed the ball in their hands to make the offense work but with Fox and Hield as our lead guards, running Princeton offense sets is counter intuitive.

With our roster, no one should be running the elbow unless our entire guard rotation has been decimated by injury.

I realize we're all stuck in the past where our two best players were big men who could pass and needed the ball in their hands to make the offense work but with Fox and Hield as our lead guards, running Princeton offense sets is counter intuitive.
Giles and Bjelica are better pure passers than both guards, one a shooter, and the other a slasher. Hield shouldn't even be mentioned; his passing is cringe-worthy. Giles has the best passing ability on the team.

Very good point. As Kings fans it's hard to let that unique style go, but unless we acquire some out of this world passing big men that we don't know about, and the rules and pace change back to 2002, i don't see how that would work as our go to style.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Giles’ smooth passing is part of what jump-started the comeback. So, maybe not every trip down but when he plays you gotta run some sets through him. He makes stuff happen. And the more time he gets, the more he’ll do.
When he’s not fouling at an uncontrollably high rate.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
When he’s not fouling at an uncontrollably high rate.
Like the game before yesterday when he had zero?

Snark aside, he’s already proven he gets better with court time. See; last year following GLeague. There were a couple bad games scattered, but it wasn’t the norm anymore.

Giles’ smooth passing is part of what jump-started the comeback. So, maybe not every trip down but when he plays you gotta run some sets through him. He makes stuff happen. And the more time he gets, the more he’ll do.
Totally agree. And I don't get the harp on the fouls because I don't see the fouls being a huge issue for a bench role @ 15-20mins/game. He had 5 in this game and it didn't negatively affect his contributions on the court. Half of his fouls are just trying to make things happen, and I don't blame him, he's trying to make an impact out there and he never knows when he will be back on the bench. H4H!

Status
Not open for further replies.