[Game] Kings v Clippers - Tuesday, Dec. 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not how "overpaid" works.
i

I'll try to enlighten your understanding of how over-payment may work in Barnes context.

The Kings are paying $24MM dollars this season for Barnes, who is their highest salaried player on the team. A highest paid player should be statistically leading the team, if not in points, then in other statistics, none of which Barnes is leading. This is paying an excess for what Barnes is actually producing as a said highest paid player on the Kings.

Let's make a comparative example to look at "overpaying" vs "underpaying " and corresponding value to help understand what's happening with overpayment. The Kings Bjelica is making $7MM per season and has comparable statistics to Barnes. By comparable we mean very similar. So Bjelica's salary is less than 1/3rd Barnes salary at similar production/performance. That's what we call good value vs poor value. Bjelica is being paid less for his actual usefuless, while Barnes more.

There are 2 ways you could look at overpaying for Barnes as an actionable problem and solution - 1) you could view it as what does Barnes have to do to give a general consensus that he is earning his 24MM salary within the organization - or - 2) what should the Kings organization be doing to lower his pay to fit Barnes sagging performance, or if unable, looking to see who will trade for him.

What's most egregious about the overpayment is that its at Barnes 1st F&*&KN year of his 4-year contract, structured to be his BEST year, pay-wise.

i

I'll try to enlighten your understanding of how over-payment may work in Barnes context.

The Kings are paying $24MM dollars this season for Barnes, who is their highest salaried player on the team. A highest paid player should be statistically leading the team, if not in points, then in other statistics, none of which Barnes is leading. This is paying an excess for what Barnes is actually producing as a said highest paid player on the Kings.

Let's make a comparative example to look at "overpaying" vs "underpaying " and corresponding value to help understand what's happening with overpayment. The Kings Bjelica is making $7MM per season and has comparable statistics to Barnes. By comparable we mean very similar. So Bjelica's salary is less than 1/3rd Barnes salary at similar production/performance. That's what we call good value vs poor value. Bjelica is being paid less for his actual usefuless, while Barnes more.

There are 2 ways you could look at overpaying for Barnes as an actionable problem and solution - 1) you could view it as what does Barnes have to do to give a general consensus that he is earning his 24MM salary within the organization - or - 2) what should the Kings organization be doing to lower his pay to fit Barnes sagging performance, or if unable, looking to see who will trade for him.

What's most egregious about the overpayment is that its at Barnes 1st F&*&KN year of his 4-year contract, structured to be his BEST year, pay-wise.
Barnes is an NBA veteran in his 9th year (on his 3rd contract) who plays on a team full of first contract guys. This dispels your idea that he is overpaid.

i

you are completely over looking part of the game IMO. You know when the other team has the ball. Who did Barnes defend vs the Clippers? Could Belly have stayed in front of him?

Only two guys play positive offense and defense and that's Holmes and Bjelica. The rest of the team is either good at offense and awful on defense or vice versa.
lots of truth in those words. Two way players are hard to find. That’s why guys like Kawhi and PG get the Big Bucks. See what the Clips gave up in the PG “trade”.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Only two guys play positive offense and defense and that's Holmes and Bjelica. The rest of the team is either good at offense and awful on defense or vice versa.
I don't agree about Bjelica's defense. He is not a good defender, just way too slow in space and cannot sustain high energy level. That's why he's often not in during the 4th quarter.

Hield sucks now.
Buddy is a great shooter when he gets on a hot streak, but his abundance of stupid turnovers and lapses on defense during key moments of games almost entirely diminishes his value.
I just can't envision Hield being the starting 2G of the future. The Kings need a starting 2-guard, either Justin James, or a player acquired in a trade, or drafted in the future. Hield doesn't have the brains for it. He'll make the most inopportune turnover with the most devastating consequences in the most ridiculous fashion that you can dream up. Think of Buddy Hield. Now think of Buddy Hield dribbling against Paul George. Could anything be more ridiculous?
Buddy talks a whole lot for a guy who rarely knows where his man is. But, he’s proven to be a cry baby when he gets told to shut up and do his job.
SG is a huge problem rn. Buddy "everyone gets scored on" Hield has been the biggest problem during our slump. It's either his way-off bricks or his loose handled turnovers that seem to destroy any momentum.

Good
His passing has got better. He can have good rebounding games.

Bad
Handles are pathetic. Shot selection is absurd, as shown in his career low percentages. He doesn't go for the inbounds pass (steal) like he used to. His attitude (everyone gets scored on). Going thru media AGAIN. Barking orders at others, like he knows where to be. Defense. IQ. "Trust issues."

dude12

Hall of Famer
People want to talk about the players, but I think this is on the coach. Dave never had defensive players like Homes, Joseph, Ariza etc... Dave found a way to get a team of undersised players winning last year. The roster improved this year, and the Kings shouldnt be this bad.
Agreed....only thGM I can think of right now is Walton is determined to get the players to do it his way or what he envisions. I think behind the scenes there has been a bit of “power” struggle with the roster. I think they want to run and according to Walton, they need to learn how to play HC and defend. Very similar to Joerger with the HC sets when we had Zbo. I’m hoping this is a process and next year it’s better And healthier.

What worries me is that we are soft and we won’t come out of being soft. Remember how Joerger was a big meanie. Let’s hope we stop being so soft.

i

Being the highest paid player on the team is not the right metric to determine whether a player is overpaid or not. The proper comparison is to the contracts of other players who provide comparable on court value. The contracts of other players on the team are irrelevant, especially when a team’s best players are on rookie deals.

I do watch most games but to keep my sanity I have been turning the game off by half time lately. My job moved me out of state in early 98 and all those early years still enjoyed going to games or watching on tv no matter how bad we might have been.

Still had a team to watch and some great players to remember. But at this point it’s hard to see us getting out from under some of these albatross contracts for a few years. I had thought we’d turned the corner and had assets with some holes to fill only now for whatever reason we are back to a team that will be lucky to win half of what we had last year.

Sorry I wished I felt differently but will still be watching and with hope something good will happen.

Regardless of the discussion of what makes a player overpaid or underpaid, Barnes is overpaid. He just is, even in this modern day NBA with huge contracts.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's not. He's a decent NBA player, but he's currently not worth his salary. He's not tradeable either because other teams are not going to take on that salary. I've said in multiple threads that he's just invisible at times. I disliked the contract when it happened and I don't see that changing unless Barnes suddenly develops into a major, impact player. I now see why the Mavs and their fans were so nonchalant about losing him.

I don't have anything against Harry but he's just not worth the cash.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Agreed....only thGM I can think of right now is Walton is determined to get the players to do it his way or what he envisions. I think behind the scenes there has been a bit of “power” struggle with the roster. I think they want to run and according to Walton, they need to learn how to play HC and defend. Very similar to Joerger with the HC sets when we had Zbo. I’m hoping this is a process and next year it’s better And healthier.

What worries me is that we are soft and we won’t come out of being soft. Remember how Joerger was a big meanie. Let’s hope we stop being so soft.
well it is true that players pick up after their coach and his demeanor and attitude

Regardless of the discussion of what makes a player overpaid or underpaid, Barnes is overpaid. He just is, even in this modern day NBA with huge contracts.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's not. He's a decent NBA player, but he's currently not worth his salary. He's not tradeable either because other teams are not going to take on that salary. I've said in multiple threads that he's just invisible at times. I disliked the contract when it happened and I don't see that changing unless Barnes suddenly develops into a major, impact player. I now see why the Mavs and their fans were so nonchalant about losing him.

I don't have anything against Harry but he's just not worth the cash.
The thing is at that contract he is a really bad player because of the money he ties up, keeping you from paying actual guys who can make a difference. Dorian Finney Smith has more of a impact on the game of basketball than Barnes. Boston/Memphia Jeff Green all over again. I would even argue defensively alone Ariza (similiar to Shumpert last year) impacts the game more than Barnes despite being a complete nothing on offense (probably worse than nothing) but he also is massively overpaid.

The Kings did the impossible by losing a trade where we got rid of JJ/Z-Bo (trading Shumpert as a result which helped sink the team last year) how on earth is that even possible. Than Vlade does another one of his legendary moves where he extends him after the team failed with him.

People want to talk about the players, but I think this is on the coach. Dave never had defensive players like Homes, Joseph, Ariza etc... Dave found a way to get a team of undersised players winning last year. The roster improved this year, and the Kings shouldnt be this bad.
Jeroger likes trouble he’s had beef at two different stops he’s the only common denominator. People acting like he’s the second coming need to stop he was gonna leave for Minnesota or get fired by Vlade or the next GM

Jeroger likes trouble he’s had beef at two different stops he’s the only common denominator. People acting like he’s the second coming need to stop he was gonna leave for Minnesota or get fired by Vlade or the next GM
Might want to think before you write. Minnesota hired their guy.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Jeroger likes trouble he’s had beef at two different stops he’s the only common denominator. People acting like he’s the second coming need to stop
Word. Joerger can always kick rocks. The ending with him was inevitable because he’s such a stubborn, abrasive, headstrong jerk. There’s actually a good coach in there behind all that, but because of his negatives he’s never going to be anything other than a stopgap/bridge to the next wherever he goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.