Richaun Holmes Appreciation Thread

So if early bird might start at a little more than the 8.75m
and starts at 9m,9.7m,10.5m,11.3m that's 40.5 mil over 4 years
send the offer to mama holmes and tell her Sacramento loves him and wants him to stay for another 4 years!!
Maybe we can add some incentives?

So if early bird might start at a little more than the 8.75m
and starts at 9m,9.7m,10.5m,11.3m that's 40.5 mil over 4 years
send the offer to mama holmes and tell her Sacramento loves him and wants him to stay for another 4 years!!
Maybe we can add some incentives?
I can’t imagine that you could add incentive to go above the max you’re allowed to pay a player. We could add incentives to Buddy’s contract because we legally could have given him a bigger contract. This would be a pretty massive loophole.

For example, a team with $10 mil in cap space could sign LeBron James to a $10 mil/year and then add a $30 mil incentive if he averages over 10 PPG.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I can’t imagine that you could add incentive to go above the max you’re allowed to pay a player. We could add incentives to Buddy’s contract because we legally could have given him a bigger contract. This would be a pretty massive loophole.

For example, a team with $10 mil in cap space could sign LeBron James to a $10 mil/year and then add a $30 mil incentive if he averages over 10 PPG.
Subject to league approval.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

Don't give the Lakers any ideas

The Blazers game for him was very impressive. He describes his first responsibility as "the defensive end." Then he quietly throws down 26/10. He is modest about his accomplishments. He is my favorite King and one of the great sports guys around.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The guy is a total stud. He seems always prepared to play. He consistently plays hard. He sticks to his role. He's tough-minded. He doesn't make stupid mistakes. He's athletic as heck. Has a very good touch with that floater. Has very good hands. No question about it - for the money spent in free agency, he's the best purchase Vlade has ever made.

This is the kind of guy that you envision for your core. He's a keeper. We haven't seen the best of him, imo. He'll continue to get better because he's a worker, has intelligence, and seems very coachable. I'd be very curious to see what percentage he can hit from, say, 18 feet out. Maybe he can expand his shooting range, and become even more integral to this Kings' team.

Spurs had no answer for him all night long.

Our offense is pee poor without DeAaron. We have lived on the backbone of Holmes strong defensive play in the interior and timely offensive play/defense on the exterior mixed with Barnes iso.

Buddy is LOST without Fox finding him after breaking down the defense.

We are missing Fox so bad. I dont care what CoJo brings defensively, there are so many missed alley oops from Fox to Holmes and Bagley its unconscionable.

Praying for the quickest ligament heal in history. With Bogie on the mend ots just stupid how many alley oops we are missing. Thankfully Holmes is young so there will be many in the future. He ain't going anywhere.

Holmes and his fam have latched on to Sac. It's up to Giles to replace Deadman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might have to rename him to Larry Holmes the way he's knocking out all these elite big's, the guy is my favourite ever role player what a phenom he has been this season without him we are the worst team in the NBA right now.

Hes ranked 14th in the league in fantasy value right now.. Ahead of guys like Jokic, Embiid, Gobert.. Unbelievable season thus far.

I wish he would start shooting threes, theres so many times he sets a pick a pops out to the arc and he's wide open. He cant be any worse then Dedmon from deep.
Take a good look at his shot.

Take a good look at his shot.
I think I've only seen him take one jump shot all year. Yeah, that "push" shot of his (ala Koufus) is money. But he's still limited as a scorer.
It'll be interesting to see if he has a semi-reliable jump shot that he can work into his game this year - including eventually stretching it out to the 3-pt line.

We are missing Fox so bad. I dont care what CoJo brings defensively, there are so many missed alley oops from Fox to Holmes and Bagley its unconscionable.
I’ve noticed this also. CoJo is scared to make a pass of any difficulty. Not sure if it’s vision or he’s just way too conservative. Every game there is at least two ally oops that should have been thrown. Holmes only gets better when Bogi or Fox are on the floor to run pick and roll. It’s no surprise that we have taken a downturn in play since Bogi got hurt. Regardless of whether he has been playing or not, he’s not been the same. CoJo just cannot run an offense without another creator on the floor (which opens up more problems when we try to make Buddy the other creator.)

Just because the 3 point shot is all the rage, does not mean that every player on your team needs to start shooting them.
Agreed, but he's shot it with some success before. Really, one 3 pointer or half a block per game and he's an all star.
If he and bagley can take 3 3's a game and make one, that might be as good as one floor spacer and one inside guy.

The Kings have enough trouble making 3s. I don't want to add in a guy who hasn't done anything past a one handed push shot from 13 feet all year long. We're getting incredible value out of him with what he's doing. His TS% is .100 points higher than the 2nd place guy on the team. I don't think lowering that is going to help us win games. You take the 10-15pts he gives you nightly on elite efficiency and be happy with it. It's the rest of the guys not named Holmes and Barnes that have some work to do in that department.

Such a hidden gem was Holmes. I remember he had played well vs the Kings last season but I just chalked it up to a low skill high energy fringe player bullying our frail bigs around...but he’s a dynamic player.

He has the length and speed to compete defensively when switched on perimeter players. The one thing I was worried about when Willie left. He takes more pride in it.

He’s also a pretty strong guy and can compete with stronger bigs in the paint and on the boards which we didn’t have anybody to do that last season except Kosta who didn’t play a lot.

He attacks the boards, swipes and swats at everything in his area. He’s rapidly improving at staying out of foul trouble lately.

He has a go to shot offensively that he hits at a ridiculous percentage. He’s a solid free throw shooter.

He also has dog in him. He plays like it’s personal. He won me over when he bumped Gobert for trying to stare down Bjeli after a dunk. His disposition is the Anti-Willie.

Kings probably win a few more games last season if they had Holmes. Maybe even one against the Clippers.

Last edited:
Hes ranked 14th in the league in fantasy value right now.. Ahead of guys like Jokic, Embiid, Gobert.. Unbelievable season thus far.

I wish he would start shooting threes, theres so many times he sets a pick a pops out to the arc and he's wide open. He cant be any worse then Dedmon from deep.
If he is ever able to take that step and be productive with it, he could conceivably become an all-star level player. Why not?

Such a hidden gem was Holmes. I remember he had played well vs the Kings last season but I just chalked it up to a low skill high energy fringe player bullying our frail bigs around...but he’s a dynamic player.

He has the length and speed to compete defensively when switched on perimeter players. The one thing I was worried about when Willie left. He takes more pride in it.
I've said it a couple times already this season, but I'll say it again. I really had no clue how good this cat was. He just never really stuck out to me. I have no clue how or why.

I mean, a guy like Montrezl Harrell certainly did. But Richaun just slipped past me, even though I know several fans here really liked him. Even Peaches and Christie were enamored before the season started.

I have to say that the kid continues to amaze me. Part of me continues to expect him to come back down to earth, but I'm beyond wishful that he never does and this goes on and on.

12.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg and 1.4 bpg don't seem all that impressive. But when you watch the games, you can clearly see the impact he has. His defense is often times amazing to me. When he and the team is locked in, he is so freaking good bothering the dribble and quickly recovering to his own man. He's quickness, length and athleticism allow him to do some special things defensively.

I'm loving what I'm seeing from him night after night.

The thing about him isn't even the fact that he hustles more than Willie, that he contests shots, that he has a solid flip shot, that he boards and plays with energy.

There's honestly a lot of players that can do that. How many "energy" players do we see in the NBA. We've had a few, Brockman, Justin Williams, Quincy Acy, Reggie Evans.

The thing that makes Richaun Holmes special is that he's SMART. This is the thing that surprised and surprises me the most out of him. I'm paying attention to his timing, his decision making, his poise, his rotations.

And my god does this guy understand how to play the game. It's refreshing, this is what makes him special IMO. He not only has the grit but the head to go along with it.

Love this guy

The thing that makes Richaun Holmes special is that he's SMART. This is the thing that surprised and surprises me the most out of him. I'm paying attention to his timing, his decision making, his poise, his rotations.

And my god does this guy understand how to play the game. It's refreshing, this is what makes him special IMO. He not only has the grit but the head to go along with it.
Good time to remind people that Holmes was hand picked by Vlade out of nowhere. He was just some random energy big to 99% of our fanbase before signing. Of course now some of you will respond saying you wanted him before. Good for you. But there was no serious discussion about him as a FA target on this board and the fact that he's had such a big impact is on VLADE.

Btw... calling it now... look for Ariza to play a key, savvy role down the stretch this season as the pressure mounts and games start to grind. That's what he was signed for.